Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots
Pronouns: he/him

Luke Cage

Post by Lunkhead »

We've been watching this lately and are a few episodes from finishing it. It got off to a really slow start, it felt like. Not enough action soon enough for me. And a lot of the "intellectual" dialogue just fell flat for me. The pace overall seems slow, like they're really stretching things out. But we're enjoying it OK overall.

My biggest gripe is about how sci-fi/comic book/etc. movies often have no internal consistency or logic around who can get hurt when, and who can get hurt when it is entirely at the service of the "plot" (such as it is). For example, and hopefully this isn't a spoiler but, there is a part in this show where a bad guy with no super powers falls like 20' and lands on his back over the top of a row of theater seats, and he's fine. He then gets thrown 30' head first into a support pillar, and again is fine. That is some bullshit! That guy should be dead or paralyzed at least, or in a coma or have a concussion. He's just a dude, not a super dude.

This bugged me in the latest Captain America too during the big hero vs hero fight scene. It really didn't seem to matter anymore if somebody had on a robot suit, was super human, or what, everybody was on equal footing going toe to toe until the plot demanded otherwise. I want to see a super hero movie where when somebody with super strength hits a normal person the normal person's body reacts more like a watermelon underneath Gallagher's sledgehammer. That seems like it would be a more realistic effect of a super punch...
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Re: Luke Cage

Post by Lunkhead »

Ugh. Slogging my way through season 2. It's sooo slow. So much bad dialogue. If I need to see more shots of "Shades" flashing his shades. I get it, ok! And Mariah is so annoying. Zzzzz...
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff

Post by ken »

Yeah, we started watching this, but it didn't get traction so we have been watching other things.
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

This show got to the point where I got interrupted watching the very last episode, and actually completely forgot for a couple weeks that I never finished it. I went back and watched the rest of it. Without spoiling anything hopefully, the way they wrapped things up for Bushmaster seemed completely dumb to me. But the way they left things with Mariah and particularly with her daughter and Luke Cage was maybe the only potentially interesting thing in the whole season. They could have taken a lot less time to get there.
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Wow, Luke Cage cancelled now too. Is it all just part of Disney wrapping up their partnership with Netflix so they can relocate the Marvel shows to their own streaming service that they're launching next year? Or what? People really liked Luke Cage although frankly I thought both seasons were fraught with too much pretentious pontificating and were way way too long. They really under utilized the main character and lead actor, I thought.
ken
Hot for Teacher

Post by ken »

Still slugging through season 2... Not really engaged, and feeling like it is taking too long to resolve without really doing anything else more interesting. My wife pointed out that it felt like Bushmaster was getting more screen time than Luke Cage.
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

ken
Hot for Teacher

Post by ken »

Okay, I finally finished this last night. I'll be fine if there isn't another season.

I read an article about how Marvel is pulling all it's content from Netflix so that it can focus on the new Disney streaming service. (I also read an article about how the increase in streaming services is creating an upswing in piracy!) Most of the the Netflix avengers will likely be a casualty of this transition. The unfortunate thing is that these street level stories are nice to balance out the universe-wide stories being told on the screen. So while these shows have been a little hit and miss, it has been good to see small stories on the small screen. I hope these continue to exist. I like the more realistic hero stories. Characters can be more dimensional and personal.

ujnhunter
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, Crummy Guitar & Animal Noises (especially Donkeys)
Recording Method: Reaper 5.9x, Tascam FireOne/Behringer UMC202HD/Avid Eleven Rack/Line 6 UX2, Win 7 PC / Win 10 Laptop
Submitting as: Cock, Chth*.*, D.A.H. (Der Alter Hahn)
Pronouns: His Infernal Majesty

Post by ujnhunter »

Yay for more streaming services! Cable TV 2.0?
-Ujn Hunter
Photovoltaik - Free 6 Track EP - Song Fight! Liner Notes
Billy's Little Trip wrote:I must have this....in my mouth.....now.
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs

Post by HeuristicsInc »

Er... yay for more services that only have one show you might want to watch? That you would have to subscribe to to see that one show? And waste a lot of money not watching the other ones? It seems to me like a terrible idea. I see what ken's saying, more piracy; either that or just not watching interesting shows because they're hidden behind a paywall.
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
ujnhunter
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, Crummy Guitar & Animal Noises (especially Donkeys)
Recording Method: Reaper 5.9x, Tascam FireOne/Behringer UMC202HD/Avid Eleven Rack/Line 6 UX2, Win 7 PC / Win 10 Laptop
Submitting as: Cock, Chth*.*, D.A.H. (Der Alter Hahn)
Pronouns: His Infernal Majesty

Post by ujnhunter »

Whoops. Guess I should figure out how to use the sarcasm font...
-Ujn Hunter
Photovoltaik - Free 6 Track EP - Song Fight! Liner Notes
Billy's Little Trip wrote:I must have this....in my mouth.....now.
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs

Post by HeuristicsInc »

ha, yes, i understand... but it does seem to be what the companies are thinking.
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

This show got cancelled. Honestly I felt like both seasons of this show were big letdowns, totally under utilizing the main actor/character. We'll see if Disney's bring Mike Colter/Luke Cage back for something on their new streaming service. I think they just started to develop some potential for his pairing with Iron Fist to be entertaining.