Battlestar Galactica

Blab about the Boob Tube.
mico saudad
Mean Street

Battlestar Galactica

Post by mico saudad »

Holy crap how is there not a BG thread here yet??!! Best show on television they claim. I have a hard time arguing with them.

I like the Stargate franchise too, but BG blows everything else out of the water and ranks as high as Lost and West Wing in my book.
the Jazz
Push Comes to Shove

Post by the Jazz »

Bleh. Galactica just isn't interesting to me, personally. The characters are only compelling when they aren't sweating shiny SF-style melodrama from every orifice, which doesn't seem to happen very often.
Let cake eat them.
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

I like it a lot, as the bastard son of 'Space: Above & Beyond'

Having seen them all (i guess the US has caught up by now) i would say

1. Balthar is annoying. Damn annoying.
2. The cyclon spaceships are hugely disappointing aesthetically. I preferred the old ones. I also miss the old cylon look too.
3. 'They look like us' has been done to death and smakes of budget-related scripting
4. There is an annoying tendency for plot-lines to completely disappear mid-episode and reappear two and a hald episodes later.

If the scripters sort those out (and decide amongst themselves whether there is a God in their universe or not rather than just pussyfooting around the issue) the second series will indeed be one of the best things on TV.

j$
stueym
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Cubase/Stenberg CI2+/Roland VG-99/RolandGR-55
Submitting as: stueym

Post by stueym »

Hmmmm I love BSG...actually ScifFi Friday is the biggest block to me doing musically things on a Friday night LOL !! Plus as well as SG1 SGA and BSG they are running Firefly in it's correct order...YAY!! (actually go buy the DVD set cos it is such an awesome story). The four hour SciFi music productivity killer block. Thank god for TIVO.

Baltar.....is interesting viewpoint for the Cylon point of view while on ship
Adama (sr)...... is awesome. EJO is such a cool actor and in S2E1 they even gave him a retro Miami Vice mustache for the flash backs....oh happy innocent phil collins driven days of the 80's
Adama (jr).......Yay for cute British boys getting exposure on US TV...go Jamie!
Tigh....how I wish I was if I was a drunken fuck up bad ass
Starbuck....I had my issues with female Starbuck but actually she is so totally badass that it doesnt matter, best ballbusting female character ever
cylons.... I dont mind the complexity of the human cylons....needless to say Sharon character(s) annoys me...but who can't love six she is so totally cool and complex and lusty...love how she treats Balthar!....hmmm whips! Last night aired the cylon centurions attack actually on BSG which I havent seen yet so I hope that gives us a chance to see more of the updated chrome toasters....
Pop Quiz....what came first the cylon zipping zit light or Kit Car's red flashing strip in knight rider....go research it its fascinating trivia :-)

Pres Laura was very intersting at first but I am kinda bored with the "woe is me I have cancer oh look sudenly I am a prophet" thing thats going on
Chief Tyrol....has his moments but oh he has got so emo recently - go get a room and be happy to bump and grind your little cyclon girlfriend.

Special effects and jump zoom effect are the coolest things when we are in space scenes and I even think the Rap's are still cool looking. Show so totally has to win the Emmy for SFX

The mystical gods (human) v god (cylon) perspective is an interesting plot thing that keeps coming back

Plus what if Adama really is a cylon...and if so which one?!? :twisted:
"You know, I rather like this God fellow. Very theatrical, you know. Pestilence here, a plague there. Omnipotence ... gotta get me some of that."
Adam!
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Drum 'n' Bass (but not THAT Drum 'n' Bass)
Recording Method: Reaper + Stock Plugins
Submitting as: Max Bombast
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Adam! »

I spent weeks raving about Firefly, and the response was usually "Oh yeah? Well, if you liked Firefly then you'll looove the new Battlestar Galactica". So for the last week I've been struggling through it with friends, and man oh man we can barely watch this show. How can people like this? It is single-handedly the most boring thing I've ever seen, and I'm a freaking Magnolia fan. I spent most of the miniseries trying to put a Q-Tip through both eardrums. The only characters I like are Starbuck (who is very hot for a 13-year-old boy), the scientist, and his sexy brain-robot. 3 out of a bunch is a pretty low ratio, especially coming hot off the heels of Firefly, where I loved every character.

So far of the first 8 episodes I've watched (counting the mini as 4) I liked 2. But I still have some faith in the show, because everyone tells me that it starts off slow and picks up pace.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I instantly recognized Baltar's view as overlooking the Straight of Juan de Fuca. I got a nice chuckle at the fact that the super-futuristic building two characters are shown walking through is the Vancouver Public Library. I was secretly waiting for a Planet-Of-The-Apes style revelation ("Wait, the planet isn't dead, this is just Canada!"), but sadly it didn't happen.
deshead
Panama

Post by deshead »

Puce wrote:for the last week I've been struggling through it with friends, and man oh man we can barely watch this show. How can people like this?
I'll wager that most fans of BSG are also Star Trek and Babylon 5 fans looking for something to fill the void. And anyone who sat through the first season of any ST series (especially ST:TNG) instantly recognized how much better BSG was right out of the gate.

So maybe it's just a matter of perspective.

Watch some episodes of TNG with Troi in a short skirt and Riker sans beard, then see how much more you enjoy Battlestar Galactica.
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

wait a minute......i thought lorne green was dead?
Hi!
Adam!
Ice Cream Man

Post by Adam! »

deshead wrote:And anyone who sat through the first season of any ST series (especially ST:TNG) instantly recognized how much better BSG was right out of the gate.
So true.
Adam!
Ice Cream Man

Post by Adam! »

Just finished watching the last half of the first season. Awesome. A hundred times better than the mini.
mico saudad
Mean Street

Post by mico saudad »

The writing for this is another whole level beyond any other sci-fi around. I don't have cable but just rented the latest season 2 and these episodes are gorgeous. I just can't rave enough. Maybe I can convince some people who for some reason wrote it off to try it again and give it a shot.

Des, you're spot on about the ST comparison. But then throw in Star Wars, Alien(s) and any other sci-fi movie and BG holds it's own if not ruling the entire pack:

BG has intricate characters with shifting and complex motives (contrast that with the seemingly monolithic mentalities of starship captains and jedis),

BG has a complete lack of sci-fi-cheese (green painted humans, stupid four headed monster battle scenes, Vader yelling "NOOOOOOOOOO!", the etc. etc.), the dialogue is spectacular and I would hold the acting up to almost *any* feature film (sci-fi or not).

BG is just as dark and gritty as Alien(s), and the sense of hopelessness and the struggle for survival in BG and the feel of banding together to overcome fatigue and stress and impossible odds is amazingly drawn.

Eh I'll quit yapping, watch it already.
deshead
Panama

Post by deshead »

stueym
Push Comes to Shove

Post by stueym »

deshead wrote:New episodes start next Friday: http://www.tv.com/battlestar-galactica- ... mmary.html
Damn you Candians and your beautiful HD widescreen picture too :-) My son gets caps of BSG, SG1 and SG: Atlantis from a Canadian torrent distro then watches them on his widescreen monitor on his PC. Way preferable to SciFi's output on Stndard def especially on my 62". Loved it when NBC did reruns in HD, but otherwise the DVD's are the next best bet. Got 2.0 for us for Xmas.
"You know, I rather like this God fellow. Very theatrical, you know. Pestilence here, a plague there. Omnipotence ... gotta get me some of that."
stueym
Push Comes to Shove

Post by stueym »

Okay so the first episode of Season 2 Part 2 was wonderful. I am sensing a deep forboding in the way the president is talking in her dying weeks......something ain't right wid dat girl :-) Awesome, Awesome, Awesome!

Off topic but related I grow fonder and fonder of SG: Atlantis. I really liked this eisode with the Wraith falling out with each other. Terrific storyline.
blue
Ice Cream Man

Post by blue »

weekly "blue cooks an awesome meal + we watch battlestar / stargate" party at my place. you're all welcome. tonight is BBQ salmon w/homemade sauce, spuds and salad. doors @ 8.
stueym
Push Comes to Shove

Post by stueym »

blue wrote:weekly "blue cooks an awesome meal + we watch battlestar / stargate" party at my place. you're all welcome. tonight is BBQ salmon w/homemade sauce, spuds and salad. doors @ 8.
And believe me if I was in the Bay area I would make the pilgrimage...Bon Apetit!
stueym
Push Comes to Shove

Post by stueym »

Oh my!!! We are headed for some big stuff for the season finale boys and girls....Toasters pounding Starbuck and the Caprica rescue party, Baltar shooting for the presidency while the Chief continues his mental breakdown by pounding on girls....how much better could this show get...

Oh I know let's have a humongous space battle, confusion about which version of 6 is good, bad, in his head or real in a special 90 minute season ender-bender!!!
Kamakura
Panama
Instruments: Drums, Guitar, Keys, Howling
Recording Method: LogicPro
Submitting as: Kamakura

Post by Kamakura »

I so want to see this... wail howl gnash
So when does it come to terrestrial in the UK?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

https://kamakura.bandcamp.com
obscurity
Mean Street
Instruments: Keyboards (88-note and qwerty), guitar, bass & edrums.
Recording Method: Pod X3 Live & Yamaha 01X -> Cubase 5 & Komplete 5
Submitting as: soon as I see a title that inspires me.

Post by obscurity »

Kamakura wrote:I so want to see this... wail howl gnash
So when does it come to terrestrial in the UK?
What, haven't you heard of bittorrent?
obscurity.

"Only the great masters of style ever succeed in being obscure." - Oscar Wilde.
Adam!
Ice Cream Man

Post by Adam! »

Re: The Season Finale

What.
The.
Fuck.
blue
Ice Cream Man

Post by blue »

yeah, it was kinda meh. the SG1 finale was the best of the trio.
stueym
Push Comes to Shove

Post by stueym »

blue wrote:yeah, it was kinda meh. the SG1 finale was the best of the trio.
SG-1 Extreme "Cliff Hangery"...awesome!!!

SG-A Wow 'quelle surprise' the Wraith are "two faced", backstabbing, a-holes after all...go figure :-)

BSG I kinda liked it, gives them a whole new place to go in future seaons....and you can have Kara happy for anymore than 20 minutes in any episode so stuff had to go bad....plus 'fat' Apollo was funny...talk about going to seed! :D

I liked the thread with "Gina/Six" sacrificing herself in nuclear explosion just to get the attention of the Cylons :-) Guess Pop and Son are gonna come back next season to lay down the smack in huge assed rescue mission while New Capricans go 'underground' on the cyclons!!!
blue
Ice Cream Man

Post by blue »

hey, way to not spoil it for anyone there, Stu. :P

i was impressed with the blonde cylon's acting range in the last couple of episodes.