Doctor WHO?

Blab about the Boob Tube.

What's the word on WHO?

Seen every episode, including the movies LOVE IT!
20%
Watched it as a kid, fond memories...
40%
Watched it as a kid...what was I thinking????
No votes
Lost interest after Tom Baker Split.
13%
The worst show in the history of TV
No votes
Never heard of it. Who?
27%

Total votes: 15
Leaf
Jump
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, vocals.
Recording Method: Cubase
Submitting as: Leaf 62, Gert, Boon Liver, Leaf and Twig, Tom Skillman, A bunch of other stuff.

Doctor WHO?

Post by Leaf »

C'mon, how many of you had the WHO bug at one time or another?
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

What is this?
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

*slaps generic lightly in an 'oh you loveable looney' kind of way*

Ah, Doctor Who. I think pretty much everyone in the UK over a certain age has a fond memory of Doctor Who, espeically us of th MotS persuasion.

It was rubbish and the new series fills me with trepidation but I remember hiding behind the sofa when 'Stones of Blood' was on. And a bit later, having one of my first ever crushes on Turlough.

I say too much ...

j$
Leaf
Jump
Submitting as: Leaf 62, Gert, Boon Liver, Leaf and Twig, Tom Skillman, A bunch of other stuff.

Post by Leaf »

j$ wrote: And a bit later, having one of my first ever crushes on Turlough.

j$

I was hot for Sarah...
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

Leaf wrote:
j$ wrote: And a bit later, having one of my first ever crushes on Turlough.

j$

I was hot for Sarah...
Weird, it's one of that shows that elicits that effect in a lot of people (having a crush on the sidekicks I mean).
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

Well, there's so many sidekicks to choose from over the years that there's bound to be someone for everyone's hots to be had for.
Leaf
Jump

Post by Leaf »

Very true.

I was a huge fan as a kid... It all sort of ended after my first WHO convention... I met Jon Pertwee... wore the long scarf and hat... then realized that chicks didn't get it, and moved onto rock and roll....

But man... that show had some cool ideas, and the whole "serial" style while very 40's, also had a certain charm to it.

I have two dozen paperbacks of various episodes, and my kid reads them, though he's never see a show. It's not on in Canada anymore.
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

Yeah, PBS in the US stopped showing it when BBC started demanding insanely huge royalties for broadcasting each episode. Which sucks, because now *nobody* shows it so the BBC makes $0 on it, instead of when they made $small_amount on it but it was broadcast every freaking day at 10PM on every self-respecting PBS station.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

Leaf wrote: I was a huge fan as a kid... It all sort of ended after my first WHO convention... I met Jon Pertwee... wore the long scarf and hat... then realized that chicks didn't get it, and moved onto rock and roll....
I rejoice for you my son - you walked in the shadow of nerdiness, but then saw the light and joined the one true faith....rock on, brother..
Leaf
Jump

Post by Leaf »

ahhh.... CBC has been broadcasting "new" (how new, I wonder) episodes of The Doctor. Now.. I saw this total crap movie a few years ago... terrible actor playing the doctor..bad script..but this new series is deadly good. My wife is getting right into it too...so it must be good. The writers, I can't help but notice, are the same guys who wrote in the 70's and 80's... Davies..uh..damn, I can't remember the names right now, but still, I recognized them and the stories are just great. Good humour, good actors, special effects that are good, but still slightly cheesy to give it that goofy quality associated with this show.

I have a new Tuesday night ritual... fantastic.
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

The new Chris Eccleston episodes (doctor 9) are great. I've been watching them via BitTorrent, though I'm about a month behind now since I've been without broadband. The feel is somewhat different than classic Who (it's from the sidekick's perspective rather than the Doctor's, which is actually a pretty refreshing change), but it's still great fun.

The Paul McGann (doctor 8) movie was pretty horrible, but not TOO bad if you ignore the plot, the writing, the acting, the editing, the set design, and the effects. (There were some nice shrubberies.)
Last edited by fluffy on Wed Jun 15, 2005 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

If you are referring to Rusell T Davies you recognise the name from Queer as Folk, not from earlier Doctor Who

The last one of the current series is next saturday in the UK and I have to say the penultimate one was the best so far. Really exciting in that way it was when I watched them as a kid ... I also really enjoyed the one set in Victorian Cardiff and the 'Sapphire & Steel'y 2 parter set in wartime London

So much better than I feared it would be!

j$
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

Too bad Eccleston and Piper have decided not to go on to the next series though. :/ They were a great team. Also, it makes me wonder if this sets up a bad precedent for one season == one incarnation, meaning the Doctor is going to either run out of lives very soon or he's going to have to pull a Master.

Has doctor #10 been revealed yet, speaking of which? Or are they keeping it under wraps until the "Christmas special" airs? I recall news of Eccleston being #9 coming out long before the series aired, but it also didn't involve the usual regeneration scene either, which AFAIK were always a complete surprise to the viewing audience.
Leaf
Jump

Post by Leaf »

Eccleston quit??? God Damn it I was just getting into it for crissakes!!

Damn. He is good. I didn't realize he was number 9... I thought for some reason that the Doctor had hit #12 ages ago...and I was wondering why he was still going. Perhaps I was thinking of the MAster...

I'm gonna have to go googling now...need to know more.

Funny J$...the two episode sets you mention are the only ones I've seen of this series so far!
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

I think CBC has been showing them at the same time as the BBC.

But, yeah, Eccleson decided he didn't want to be typecast in a role on a "children's show" and so he's only doing one series. Piper decided that she didn't want to work alongside anyone other than Eccleston. So, there's going to be one Christmas special when Eccleston's Doctor gets killed off, and ostensibly Rose will decide to go back to Mickey or something.
Leaf
Jump

Post by Leaf »

j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

fluffy wrote:Has doctor #10 been revealed yet, speaking of which? .
Yes, the star of BBC3's 'Casanova' which is a really really good choice. No, really. got the same slightly punk-rock attitude that Eccleston brings.
Leaf
Jump

Post by Leaf »

That's good to hear. I just got Dana hooked on it... and alot of it is Eccelston's (uh..did I spell that right...ah screw it) anyway, his presence and the chemistry... never mind the quirky writing. So... another cool actor will be good and interesting.
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

Yes. You should check out Casanova if/when it gets shown over thar. A lot of fun and you can see some of what he's gonna bring. In an odd way it is very similiar stylistically to DW (travels with companion, gets into scrapes of a slightly fantastical nature along way)

Anyway, this BBC articles would appear to confirm that Billie Piper IS staying. This 'Billie is going' stuff has only started in the last couple of weeks, and I was wondering what its source was, because I haven't seen it anywhere specific and official ... could it be buffy false spoiler mania all over again?

j$
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs
Pronouns: he/him

Post by HeuristicsInc »

fluffy wrote:The new Chris Eccleston episodes (doctor 9) are great. I've been watching them via BitTorrent
so this can't be seen on american television?
i've kinda felt like i should like to check it out, but i never really watched any of it.
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

Not legally, no.