Blab about the Boob Tube.
Andy Balham
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Guitar, bass, ukulele and drums
Recording Method: Reaper, Guitar Rig LE, Edirol FA-66
Submitting as: Andy Balham, Bobby Davros, The Masters of Grip, MC Heapey

Nathan Barley

Post by Andy Balham »

For the benefit of non-Brits 'Nathan Barley' is the latest offering from the twisted genius of Chris Morris (once vilified by the less-than-liberal press for his spoof documentary on paedophilia).

FWIW I though the first episode had some classic Morris use of language. I think the phrase "Pub etc." should be used much more wildly. Other parts dragged a bit, though the "Rise of the Idiots" piece was close to genius.
Last edited by Andy Balham on Mon Feb 14, 2005 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Some may say I couldn't sing, but none may say I didn't sing" - Florence Foster Jenkins
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

I was curiously unmoved actually - nicely done, but very slow burning. No Pedogeddon this. I liked the truly awful new logo for the magazine (which I can't repeat here for taste reasons) and the spot-on 'web movies' (look! He's pissed himself!) other than that, it was quite run of the mill.

I'd watch Jam over Nathan Barley any time. But anyone who knows me would see this as an obvious statment.
Kamakura
Panama
Instruments: Drums, Guitar, Keys, Howling
Recording Method: LogicPro
Submitting as: Kamakura

Post by Kamakura »

This thread should be renamed 'The English Corner', as no one else is going to have a clue.
Chris Morris has/had the clout to write his own ticket. I think, on the whole it worked and I am going to watch at least one more to make sure. After all, who doesn't know at least one Nathan Barley?

Kapitano's blog amused:
Nathan Barley was rubbish. Just horrible. Fresh as an egyptian mummy, subversive as Phil Collins, eloquent as George Bush, and subtle as a lead brick.
I've probably used the quote before, but, I think it was Tom Paulin who said, "It's a horrible thing when an artist's work matures."
Andy Balham
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Guitar, bass, ukulele and drums
Recording Method: Reaper, Guitar Rig LE, Edirol FA-66
Submitting as: Andy Balham, Bobby Davros, The Masters of Grip, MC Heapey

Post by Andy Balham »

I guess it's hard to produce a show as dense as his previous ones when you have to support a storyline and characters. For a start, there's little chance of getting an exposure-mad Z-list 'celeb' uttering the phrase "Shatner's bassoon".

I'll keep watching as it guffs up the muff of something like 'According to Bex'.
"Some may say I couldn't sing, but none may say I didn't sing" - Florence Foster Jenkins
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

Of course you could argue that the most punk rock thing Chris Morris could do after brass Eye & Jam was to go mainstream, which he did with aplomb. I did like the extra big number five on the mobile ('cos it's the most dialed number')

Just not quite absurd enough for me. But time will tell how it progresses ...

j$
fodroy
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: none
Recording Method: ears
Submitting as: praise muzak

Post by fodroy »

first american to post in this thread!
Leaf
Jump
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, vocals.
Recording Method: Cubase
Submitting as: Leaf 62, Gert, Boon Liver, Leaf and Twig, Tom Skillman, A bunch of other stuff.

Post by Leaf »

Ah....first Canadian....

I feel all worldly and well travelled now....
Kamakura
Panama
Instruments: Drums, Guitar, Keys, Howling
Recording Method: LogicPro
Submitting as: Kamakura

Post by Kamakura »

Nathan Barley is getting better and better. I was rather put off at first, but now; now I'm a fan.
The Ashcrofts's are excellent, everyone knows an 'Onslatt', whilst Barley just needs a damn good slap.
Chris morris is back in the firmament!

http://www.trashbat.co.ck