Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots
Pronouns: he/him

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Post by Lunkhead »

What do folks think of this show, particularly the connection of this show to the "Marvel Cinematic Universe" movies? I think it's an interesting phenomenon. It's a great way for them to make money but it's also a novel creative endeavor, keeping a consistent world across movies and TV (one show for now, maybe more later?) The show itself ranges from OK to good. I don't really think it's been great yet, to me, but there are moments where I am reminded of Joss Whedon related shows that I really liked in the past.

They did a very light Thor 2 tie-in which didn't throw me off to much as a viewer of the show who never watched that movie. But now they've had an episode last week, a movie opening this past weekend, and they have another episode tonight, and it sounds like there will be pretty tight integration of the show and movie plot lines. I didn't go see the movie as I don't like going on opening weekends as they're so crowded. It seems like a great ploy to boost their opening weekend numbers for Captain America 2 though. I'm wondering how in the dark I will be with tonight's episode since I haven't seen the movie. Anyway, I find the whole endeavor to be pretty neat, barring the commercial aspects of it.

I was trying to think of similar cross-media consistent worlds and the two that came to mind were The Matrix movies which also had a game that was part of the canon and I think maybe also some comics? Then of course also there's Star Wars with the whole Clone Wars TV series. I only saw the movies in those cases. In both cases it kind of felt like they omitted somewhat significant portions of the overall events of their respective worlds from the films in an attempt to get people to buy the other media, which at the time I thought was pretty annoying. This time it feels more palatable to me so far, and I'm not sure if that's just because of the old Marvel fan in me, or because it's free to watch the TV show (vs. paying for the game or getting cable or whatever to watch the Clone Wars shows), or what.
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Re: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Post by Niveous »

Lunkhead wrote:I'm wondering how in the dark I will be with tonight's episode since I haven't seen the movie. Anyway, I find the whole endeavor to be pretty neat, barring the commercial aspects of it.
I've enjoyed the show a lot, especially as it has found its footing in recent episodes. It'll never be a weekly Marvel movie and I'm okay with that. I love that Marvel has a place where they can dig deep into their character library and showcase. Joss Whedon has only made one television show that was great straight out of the gate, so I was patient and it was worth it. (Buffy Season 1 had some abysmal stuff. Angel didn't warm up still season 2 really with the additions of Gunn & Fred. Dollhouse got much better after the Season 1 finale flipped everything. Only Firefly was badass from day 1)

I won't be seeing the Cap movie until Saturday, so I've decided to DVR tonight's episode and watch it after the movie. It's going to suck tomorrow trying to stay away from a web full of spoilers. I may have to stop following Sp00n on Facebook for a few days :) (He always talks about the episodes)
"I'd like to see 1984 redubbed with this in the soundtrack."- Furrypedro.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

OK, time for me to get back to this show. No spoilers! I'm like four episodes behind at this point, oy.
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff

Post by ken »

This show sure ended strong. Should be an interesting season two.
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

I got caught up this past weekend and before the finale I was feeling like they had stacked the deck against the good guys so much that any path to victory for them was just going to seem ridiculous or stupid to me. But then what happened was actually pretty cool. They finally stopped acting like a bunch of morons. Good cameo, although that felt a bit "deus ex machina". I like how they answered the question of "What can season 2 be about if there is no SHIELD?" And it also felt like they made the show more relevant to the "cinematic universe" by kicking off a plot that seems like it would have a big impact on the films in this show. Hopefully season 2 will start off being as good as these last few episodes and get better from there.
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Whoa, terrigen crystals, terrigen mist, Inhumans, Kree, mind blown!! I'm looking forward to this show coming back on. I though "Agent Carter" wasn't great, but was still watchable.
Niveous
Beat It

Post by Niveous »

I enjoyed Agent Carter. I'm happy to having Agents back. Last night's episode was a lot of set-up but i'm excited for where it's going. The impending Inhumans vs. Agents of Shield showdown looks like it will be very good, especially with Kyle McLachlan's Mister Hyde in the mix.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Wow, now that's how you end a season. I thought the double-length finale kicked butt. i also enjoy how this show hasn't ended their seasons with complete and total cliffhangers. Not everything is resolved but there is definitely more closure than in some other shows that I've watched.

It seems like Fox doesn't intend to let go of its rights to the X-Men so Marvel seems to be really committing to using Inhumans as replacements for mutants. It'll be interesting to see how that plays out next season and how next seasons builds up to Captain America 3.
Niveous
Beat It

Post by Niveous »

I concur. It was a very strong finale and it left a lot of good story lines for them to go on in Season 3.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Season 4! Quake! Ghost Rider! Mysterious new director of SHIELD that they actually didn't reveal at the end of the first episode like I thought they would. (Or am I forgetting something?) What do you think? I think it's just OK so far. I'll have to wait a few episodes to really figure out how this is going. I just really hope that Grant Ward etc. is really gone for good. I'm so sick of that actor!

Any guesses who the new director will be? I was guessing General Talbot but then they name dropped him in a way that made it seem like it's not him. Will it be a character we've seen before on the show? Or someone from the comics that we haven't seen yet on the show? Maybe someone from the movies...??? NICK FURY?!?!
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Also I really liked the Johnny Blaze Ghost Rider when I was a collector 25+ years ago. I know nothing about this new guy. Seems like it's heading along a similar line to Daredevil vs. Punisher in the latest season of the Daredevil NETFLIX show.
Niveous
Beat It

Post by Niveous »

I enjoyed the first episode of Season 4. It was mostly exposition but I like where things are headed. Robbie Reyes Ghost Rider is a shot in the arm that the show needed after years and years of Ward as the big bad. I only hope that they can continue to deepen their connections to the Marvel Universe instead of being so fringe. But with impending stories about Life Model Decoys and a possessed Melinda May, I foresee it staying fairly insular which is a shame. With the whole idea that they need to do check-ins on empowered individuals due to the Sokovia Accords, they could have some great episodes featuring guest starring heroes.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin

Post by roymond »

I'd say something, but these guys keep staring at me in my cubicle...
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Whoa, that's awesome! Is your new gig for Marvel/Disney or something?
roymond
Beat It
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin

Post by roymond »

Yeah, there's super hero stuff all over the office. But I have no special insights. Just some tingly sense.
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
roymond
Beat It

Post by roymond »

Moved to a better view, but now Ant Man is menacing...

Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

That is awesome! Although, other than those cool life sized cutouts and models and stuff, I have to say it looks like kind of a drab office. Are there any windows anywhere nearby?

Also, on topic, I just watched episode 3 of the new season last night. There were some cool action sequences! Also nice to find out who the new director is even more, he's Jeffrey Mace aka the Patriot. I'd never heard of that character or his history before. He wasn't an Inhuman in the comics though. It'll be interesting to see how they develop that character.
roymond
Beat It

Post by roymond »

It's a pretty typical open plan space with offices along the windows. Except there are sculptures, models and posters all over the place. No cutouts. I've never been a comic book guy, so I know a small fraction of the characters. Good people though.
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

I have really been enjoying this season! I think they've actually been doing a great job with all the Ghost Rider stuff. I think this variant of the Robbie Reyes story and the allusions to a handoff of the Ghost Rider demon from probably Johnny Blaze to Robbie Reyes works really well. I didn't know much about Darkhold from my days as a collector 20 years ago so I had to read up on that. I like that they are tying in to some big stuff and how that relates very closely to Doctor Strange and the expansion of the MCU into the magical/mystical realm. Maybe the best thing is that they finally got rid of Grant Ward/Brett Dalton/etc. That's like a bunch of dead weight being lifted from the show for me, frankly. Nice too that they tied in this season to the second/final season of Agent Carter briefly. I'm curious to see where they go with this plot and if they actually get into stuff like the Elder Gods, Chthon, Oshtur, Agamotto, the Vishanti, etc.
Niveous
Beat It

Post by Niveous »

What a turn around this show has had.

Earlier this season- Ghost Rider arc, pretty good
Mid season- Life Model Decoy arc, excellent
Now- The Framework arc, spectacular

For a show on Season 4, I am amazed at how it has grown. Now if it could only actually connect to the MCU or at least the Netflix or the new Cloak & Dagger series or even the Inhumans show. Hell, just give me a Squirrel Girl cameo.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Yeah, I feel like that mid season stuff kind of drooped a bit, but, things really got a lot more interesting at the point where the LMDs invaded SHIELD and Ada killed Radcliffe. The episode with Daisy and Jemma fighting against the LMDs at SHIELD had some really amazing fight scenes. I think they maybe did a better job of showing a powered person incorporate their power into their fighting style than I've seen in any of the movies, except maybe the Iron Man/Cap/Bucky fight at the end of Civil War. And the "What if" framework world, very intense, people dying left and right. I'm not sure how some of the characters are going to recover from what's going on there.

Also if you really were a brain in a jar remote controlling a robot body ... how would you know ... ?
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff

Post by ken »

I'm a few episodes behind, but am enjoying the Agents of Hydra story line.
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang