Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots
Pronouns: he/him

Arrow

Post by Lunkhead »

I wrote this show off when it started as just more WB beefcake fodder (should've been called "Aaaabbbss"). I started watching it because I started watching "The Flash" and the cross-marketing/tie-in stuff worked on me. Also I got caught up on Flash episodes and wanted something else to watch. I've been burning through this and am finishing the second season now. It definitely has a lot of flaws, but as a former comic book geek I'm still enjoying the storyline. I never really read or collected DC comics much so I'm not as familiar with the comic versions of the characters and their histories, so maybe that helps. The things that bug me are the occasionally terrible dialog, and the fact that in just the first two seasons the same one character has been kidnapped like 15 times. They are constantly playing the "damsel in distress" card, over and over. It's pretty weak.
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff

Re: Arrow

Post by ken »

I watch these shows. Arrow somehow gets the right balance of comic book and soap opera for me. This show is my "stories."
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

I'm almost caught-up on this. Season 2 was one of the best superhero stories I've seen done in live-action yet. I'm partway through Season 3 and it's a little bit more uneven so far, but I'd dare say this has become one of my favorite shows still running.

And I knew next-to-nothing about the Green Arrow comics before starting.
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

Now I'm all caught up on the DCW shows.

Evidently I was wrong when I said they wouldn't spin Atom off into his own show - they're actually asking for exactly that. The new show would also feature Firestorm from The Flash, Caity Lotz (who was the now-deceased first Black Canary in this show, so I'm not sure what they have in mind for her) and "three other DC heroes that have never been on TV before." Honestly, I think it sounds like a mess, but the story is still developing, so nothing is even remotely confirmed yet. Even if this cluttered pitch comes to fruition intact, I'm not exactly confident that they can maintain their current level of quality when spreading the creative team over three hour-long TV shows per week. Maybe they can put the plans on hold until Arrow's five-year plan is done? Let the show end gracefully on its own terms with a spinoff already lined up to replace it.

SPOILERS HERE...
Maybe Oliver should have just stayed dead when Ra's killed him in the midseason break, and they could have renamed this show to Atom? Problem solved, right?

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

And apparently it's happening, exactly as rumored, with all of the above-mentioned characters, plus Captain Cold and Heatwave from The Flash, Hawkgirl, and Rip Hunter. It looks like a very unweildly ensemble, and it might turn out to be a hot mess... but it looks like an entertaining hot mess at least.

Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

I actually thought the teaser looked potentially good. It does seem pretty challenging to set up that extremely grand outlandish premise, and handle dealing with all those characters.

More on topic, i just watched the season 3 finale of Arrow and I have to say I was a bit disappointed. It didn't really feel all that exciting, for some reason, and there was an aspect or two of the conclusion that I really didn't like. But maybe it's just that I'm comparing it to the Agents of Shield double-length finale, which was awesome, and this one is suffering from the comparison.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see what the new overall story is, but it seems like they've set up Damian Dark as the next "big bad".