a first-timer songfight etiquette question

New Players stand up and be counted.
RangerDenni
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: vocals, piano, drums, bit o’gitfiddle, other noisy stuff
Recording Method: cubase, pianoteq, desperation.
Submitting as: a mysterious presence of quiet silence and apology reverb
Pronouns: She/Her They/Them

a first-timer songfight etiquette question

Post by RangerDenni »

I have a song recorded!!! This will be my first songfight, although I have participated in Nur Ein this past time (sadhad to dropout :( )
I'm in mastering of it now, but I had a question..

I was wondering what the policy here is on talking about songfight whilst we are in the contest. or cross posting it up on our own sites or letting others see it in other places. I have a radio thing this week (also my first one!) and I wouldn't mind showing this there. But I can wait on that and do some other song if there's a rule about that because it is not okay. I wanted to make sure first. :)
I do not want to do things wrongishly. :)
thanks folks.
[ps. I'm not talking about Facebook bombing my page with vote solicitations. :) cuz, well, i dunno.. hmm. yeeeahhh.]
"Really interesting how the point you’re making slowly emerges like Martin Sheen from the mud in Apocalypse Now..." ~j$
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Re: a first-timer songfight etiquette question

Post by Eric Y. »

#1: You posted in a forum whose description reads, "Let us know when something isn't working correctly, or if you find a typo. Do not post complaints or suggestions here." In the future, please note that this forum is for informing the powers that be if there is a problem. This particular post might have been better suited for "Help and How To" ... "Monkey Business" ... or even "Introductions". FIXED

That said, the song you recorded is yours. You can post it on a thousand other websites if you want. You can put it on whatever radio station you want. Some people get a little squeamish about posting songs elsewhere before the deadline, but there is no explicit rule (written or otherwise) against this.

As far as advertising your song or the current fight or Song Fight! in general: anything that brings more traffic here is appreciated. Please understand that if you tell all your friends or fans that you have a song currently entered in a contest-- the vast majority of them will come here and vote for you without listening to, or even acknowledging, the other entries. This is severely frowned upon. Not illegal, but if it happens, you won't find yourself making any new friends around these parts. However, if you advertise that there is a contest happening, and that you have a song in it, and pleasepleaseplease listen to all the songs and vote for your favorite-- nearly all of your friends will still come vote for you without paying any attention to the others, but at least you can feel less guilty about it.

In summary: Welcome to Song Fight! Please be awesome.
RangerDenni
Ice Cream Man

Post by RangerDenni »

Ack! I clicked the "i have a problem" link on the songfight page just thinking "i have a question."
Thanks for the help anyhow :) Much appreciated.
"Really interesting how the point you’re making slowly emerges like Martin Sheen from the mud in Apocalypse Now..." ~j$
Spud
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, eHorn
Submitting as: Octothorpe

Post by Spud »

Moved this to an appropriate place.

Eric has it right. If you post your song elsewhere, just don't say "Go to songfight.org and vote for me"

Instead say something like "There's this cool contest website with a bunch of great music on it. You should go listen to the contest this week, 'cuz I'm in it!. You can vote for as many as you like, so vote for all the good ones - even mine if you really like it"!

Yeah right. It was worth a shot.

SPUD
"I only listen to good music. And Octothorpe." - Marcus Kellis
Song Fight! The Rockening
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

Yeah, the problem is, "Vote for me" is much easier to say than "There's this cool contest website with a bunch of great music on it. You should go listen to the contest this week, 'cuz I'm in it!. You can vote for as many as you like, so vote for all the good ones - even mine if you really like."

Roymond recently advertised via his Facebook account with the following verbiage:
I entered last week's Song Fight (as roymond), called The Middle Part. If it's still up, you can listen to them and vote for all that deserve it.
So maybe, "Listen to these songs and vote for the ones you like"?
I don't run this place, but even if I did, I wouldn't have a problem with "Check out my song, and vote for it if you like it."

It's tricky. So in short, just follow Wheaton's Law and you'll be fine.
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin
Pronouns: he/him

Post by roymond »

Generic wrote: Roymond recently advertised via his Facebook account with the following verbiage:
I entered last week's Song Fight (as roymond), called The Middle Part. If it's still up, you can listen to them and vote for all that deserve it.
Clearly an act of desperation on my part. You can improve on it, no doubt.
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band
Pronouns: he/him

Post by jb »

I don't personally have a problem with people saying "go vote for me!"

It just makes it that much more painful when their terrible, terrible song loses.

And I don't care if they win, for that matter, since it means they're actually trying to drum up some kind of publicity for their work. I like that better than the guy who poops on a shoe in his bedroom and calls it music, and then sends it to Song Fight desperately hoping for some kind of recognition from strangers on the Internet, with no further interaction from him. Boo to that.
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
Rabid Garfunkel
Jump
Instruments: Absurdity
Recording Method: iPhone, GarageBand & rando apps/toys
Submitting as: OZYMANDIPUS, Rabid Garfunkel, Primitive Screwheads
Pronouns: that guy

Post by Rabid Garfunkel »

jb wrote:It just makes it that much more painful when their terrible, terrible song loses.
This sentiment is going to carry me through a (I suspect, with an unfortunately high probability of success) crappy day at work. :lol:

Thanks, yo! :D
"Urban cartoon music." -- Paco Del Stinko
Be my friend? --- Song of the Day
RangerDenni
Ice Cream Man

Post by RangerDenni »

It was a moot point anyway, dangit! The song didnt get played and we didn't event talk about it cuz we ran out of time on the radio segment. Awwww man!!!
Oh well... I'll have to rely on my charming personality now.
;)
DJRD
Chadderandom
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Submitting as: The Chadderandom Abyss

Post by Chadderandom »

Too bad a new title hasn't been posted because the perfect lyrics popped into my head...

How hard is it
to shit
on your melodica
While blowin in the tube
I don't wanna ruin my new shoes

Well, maybe not absolutely perfect.
joshmillard
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: Guitar, piano, banjo, ukulele, drums, vox
Recording Method: Garageband, FourTrack for the iPhone
Submitting as: Josh Millard

Post by joshmillard »

I like that better than the guy who poops on a shoe in his bedroom and calls it music
But I--
It's not--
I drank a lot of coffee that morning and--

Fine, I'll record something else.