Describe your main instrument

How much do you love this stuff?

Describe Your Primary Instrument

High End (Fender, Gibson, etc.)
48%
Mid Range (Squier, Epiphone, etc.)
33%
Low End (That thing you bought at Wal-Mart or at a thrift store w/ a brand name you've never heard of)
18%

Total votes: 33
deshead
Panama

Post by deshead »

jolly roger wrote:Godin
It plays a lot like a Strat. Impressive little guitar.
stueym
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Cubase/Stenberg CI2+/Roland VG-99/RolandGR-55
Submitting as: stueym

Post by stueym »

well....all my Ovations/Adamii arehigh end for the range and were each over $1000, My Martin is an OMC (42 level trim), my primary electric is the Brian Moore 2.13 which retails well over $1000 and my super 'special' Gibson Sonex is worth a million bucks to me so I answered high end.

Guitar snob no.....just buy things that I think will give me great pleasure and then hold their value well...I try to con myself that they are all investments LOL
"You know, I rather like this God fellow. Very theatrical, you know. Pestilence here, a plague there. Omnipotence ... gotta get me some of that."
Märk
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, bass
Recording Method: Presonus Audiobox 44VSL, Cubase
Submitting as: ROTR, svenmullet, I forget what else
Pronouns: master

Post by Märk »

All the songfight stuff I've done, minus the one last week that didn't get posted, was done on a cheap-ass piece of Japanese knockoff crap guitar that I got at the pawnshop for like 50 bucks. Oh, wait, I did one acoustic guitar thing, on a cheapass Japanese piece of knockoff crap nylon string guitar that I bought in a pawnshop for 40 bucks. I just recently bought an Epiphone Les Paul Studio which I would consider a nice instrument. Do my songfight entries sound like ass? Probably, but it's not because of the cheap instruments, it's because of my lack of recording skills and cheap equipment elsewhere. (read: I used to plug guitars and mics directly into my sound card and try to fix everything with effects.)

This is kind of an irrelevent poll, if one were artistic enough, one could make tuned rubber bands stretched across a cardboard box sound good.
* this is not a disclaimer
Steve Durand
Panama
Instruments: trumpet, trombone, sax, clarinet, flute, keyboards, banjo, guitar, bass, ukulele
Recording Method: SONAR 6, Dell Inspiron E1705, Edirol UA-25, Studio Projects B-1 Mic
Submitting as: Steve Durand, Elastic Waste Band

Post by Steve Durand »

My primary instrument is a Bach Stradivarius model 37 trumpet.

But, I played a Holton Collegiate student trumpet for years and could make that thing sound better than 95% of anyone else. It has a lot more to do with the artist than the instrument.

For stringed instruments I have an Oscar Schmidt OB-5 banjo, a Squier Fat Strat guitar, and a Squier P-bass. ( I only just started playing guitar in November)

Steve
"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture" -Unknown
"Seems to me this is the point of Songfight" - Max The Cat
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

a POD can make a cheap-ass squier sound like billy squier but at the end of the day, you still have a cheap-ass squier.

i'm like stu, i like owning nice gear because it plays and sounds great, it holds it's value and god forbid sometimes actually appreciates with age and use, and mostly because you get what you pay for, as has been said numerous times already.

the guitar i play the most is the first guitar i ever bought and the one guitar i'd never sell, a fairly cheap sigma acoustic that i paid about $200 for 15 years ago. i also have a nice guild acoustic electric which makes for a nice piece of art on my wall, and an american strat which i play alot but the sigma is the one if i could only have one. so i'm not against cheap but i am for quality.
Hi!
Adam!
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Drum 'n' Bass (but not THAT Drum 'n' Bass)
Recording Method: Reaper + Stock Plugins
Submitting as: Max Bombast
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Adam! »

Warning: unsubstantiated absolutes.

Everyone in the entire world (except kill_me_sarah, it seems) would consider my guitar low end: it's the second cheapest solid body electric listed at Musician's Friend. I'm only now learning how to get a sound out of it that I'm happy with. To take another angle on the 'choose-two' theme, when it comes to getting a take that'll impress people I'd say "Good Instrument, Good Mixing, Good Chops: have two" (I know, it doesn't have the same ring). It takes two of these to get around the bottleneck of not having the third one (Take this with a grain of salt, as I've never played a really nice guitar, and had I ever the chance I would not have known how to play it).

1. Having a $2500+ Gibson Les Paul isn't going to level the sonic playing field between all the guitar'n'recording newbies out there and the Hoblits who can rock your fucking face off with a Squire through his fancy POD.

2. I, who have spent more time reading mixing manuals than any person with a real life ever should, can't hold a candle to the sound SonOfSupercar could get just taping a mic to an amp, no mix tricks whatsoever. And until I make an effort* to play more than the simplest of guitar parts, no fx chain is going to get me into that ballpark of impressive and authentic sounding electric guitar tracks. *Note that an effort is currently underway.

3. And lastly, I've heard many great guitarists who have acquired a crappy used bass to fill in the low end for their songs, but have no idea how to record or mix it. They have enough transferable skills to play circles around me, but I personally prefer my amateur fumblings on my nice-ish bass (my most valuable possession with strings) once they've been compressed and EQ'd appropriately. Nothing sounds worse than a bass with a flabby tone and a wuffy recording, no matter who is playing it. Except Flea. Flea can do anything.
the Jazz
Push Comes to Shove

Post by the Jazz »

Circumcised.
Let cake eat them.
nyjm
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: acoustic guitar, electric guitar, synth, various MIDI instruments
Recording Method: Reaper, Line 6 POD, GLS Audio 57 and 58
Submitting as: noah mclaughlin, Ford's Theater Disaster, Juliet's Happy Dagger

Post by nyjm »

pure low-end. i've got a $150 oscar-schmidt. and i use a shadow SH420 soundhole pickup. yeah. $50. for a clean acoustic tone it sucks ass. but for turning an acoustic guitar into an electric one? i'm happy.

i think i'm less proud of my cheap instrument than my cheap mics. cheap mics are cool b/c i think i still get good sound out of them. a cheap instrument is just that; i get a decent sound for a hobby, but one of these days i should actually get around to buying an ovation. (mmm. ovation...)

- njm
"You sound like the ghost of David Bowie." - SchlimminyCricket | it was a pleasure to burn | my website | Juliet's Happy Dagger
stueym
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Cubase/Stenberg CI2+/Roland VG-99/RolandGR-55
Submitting as: stueym

Post by stueym »

nyjm wrote:but one of these days i should actually get around to buying an ovation. (mmm. ovation...)

- njm
succumb to the dark side Noah.....just make sure to spend at least $700 on it to get a decent American one (not Celebrity) with a nice top that will improve. The new LX ranges are bitchin' and the T series (below) look like pure rock and roll

....of course wth money no object I would strongly reccomend you try and get the Custom Legend Al Dimeola II's. It is the pinacle of the wooden tops and I have a matching pair (a natural-'light side' and a black-'dark side'.....mhmmmmmmm!)
"You know, I rather like this God fellow. Very theatrical, you know. Pestilence here, a plague there. Omnipotence ... gotta get me some of that."
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

no offense, but sticking flames on a pansy guitar just makes it a pansy guitar with flames on it.
blue
Ice Cream Man

Post by blue »

tviyh wrote:no offense, but sticking flames on a pansy guitar just makes it a pansy guitar with flames on it.
you are welcome in my house.
Reist
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Drums, Guitar
Recording Method: Yamaha AW1600, Reaper
Submitting as: Therman

Post by Reist »

I took a picture of my drum set while it's set up in the studio for DSPC recording. I like my set ... I've had it for four years ... solid toms.
Denyer
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Dunlop KT-26
Submitting as: Ross Durand

Post by Denyer »

I don't have any real instruments.
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

(denyer's main instrument is smaller than blue lang's main instrument)