Subtractive or Additive EQ?

How much do you love this stuff?

How often do you use cut frequencies in your mix (vs. boosting)?

Always!
21%
About 75% of the time
38%
Half the time. I like to be EQ'ickly correct.
17%
About 25% of the time
13%
Never, I only fortify and additiveitate
13%

Total votes: 24
Plat
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: teeth and other bones
Recording Method: cubase, native instruments, waves, izotope, ears
Submitting as: The Cow Exchange, Eat It 'n' Mattress

Subtractive or Additive EQ?

Post by Plat »

I keep reading that I'm supposed to cut frequencies, but it's so tempting to just boost a yummy one.

Home stereo systems don't count.
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

i only ever use EQ for rolling off at the top or bottom, or trying to notch out problem spots. i feel like i probably could use it a bit more for clearing up space for parts to fit within different ranges, but i'm still learning... i've never boosted freqs (in the car doesn't count either, right?)
stueym
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Cubase/Stenberg CI2+/Roland VG-99/RolandGR-55
Submitting as: stueym

Post by stueym »

I suck cos "more is better" and "red onez go fassstaaaa!" so additive is the answer...always

Its a nasty habit and one I am trying to kick so I was reading about Har-Bal's Harmonic Balancing program (see here). ANyone else heard of this. Sound on Sound gave it a very nice review and although I have only used it on one track so far, it was pretty good at takin my normally pretty woody sounding mix and making it sound more....commercial is the only word I can use.

Any other Har-Bal izers out there?
"You know, I rather like this God fellow. Very theatrical, you know. Pestilence here, a plague there. Omnipotence ... gotta get me some of that."
Adam!
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Drum 'n' Bass (but not THAT Drum 'n' Bass)
Recording Method: Reaper + Stock Plugins
Submitting as: Max Bombast
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Adam! »

I basically only use additive EQ to get weird effects or to boost the fundamental of a thin instrument. Otherwise, it's all low/hi passes and shelves. And BBE. Always BBE.

As for Har-Bal, I'm terrified of auto-mastering programs. My mastering process is probably similar to what it does, only very manual. I guess I also tend to use one wide EQ boost for the mids when mastering, to compensate for my monitors.
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs

Post by HeuristicsInc »

Puce, your mastering rocks, so stick with the manual method.

I picked 75% but it's more like 90%. I only use the additive for effect. I cut to make room in a mix or whatever.
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
deshead
Panama

Post by deshead »

Mostly the same as Puce, for me. Except I always need some kind of high EQ boost on piano. But otherwise, it's roll-offs and notches. Depending on the arrangement, I usually bus all the non-bass instruments, and roll them off below ~120Hz.
Plat wrote:but it's so tempting to just boost a yummy one.
Something to consider: Boosting a specific frequency is the same as cutting the rest and turning the level up ... So it's always possible to accomplish what you want with subtractive EQ.
fodroy
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: none
Recording Method: ears
Submitting as: praise muzak

Post by fodroy »

i have no idea what any of this stuff means.
Adam!
Ice Cream Man

Post by Adam! »

deshead wrote:
Plat wrote:but it's so tempting to just boost a yummy one.
Something to consider: Boosting a specific frequency is the same as cutting the rest and turning the level up ... So it's always possible to accomplish what you want with subtractive EQ.
Not really. Most EQs have fixed Q widths for their high and low shelves, making it impossible / extremely difficult to simulate a boost with a non-standard Q using just subtraction. Also, it will take two cuts to simulate one boost; if you're worried about artifacts like phase shift this is a step in the wrong direction.
deshead
Panama

Post by deshead »

Ya, I agree Puce. I was mostly giving Plat some (poorly worded) food for thought. I'm not sure if most folks realize "subtractive EQ" doesn't have to mean "taking something away from the sound."

Stueym, I've played with Har-Bal, but I have a hard time committing to the advice it gives, propbably 'cause I've read so many "mix with your ears not your eyes" admonitions. I'm always more comfortable with a final result I arrived at by A/B'ing my mix against a commercial reference.

Tangentially related, here's Bob Katz's CD Honor Roll, and John Vestman's list of reference CDs: http://www.johnvestman.com/commercial_cds.htm .. Well mixed and mastered stuff to use for the aforementioned A/B'ing
pegor
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: stratocaster
Recording Method: blaming the equipment

Post by pegor »

Puce wrote:...And BBE. Always BBE.
Uhmm, looking at my shoes and mumbling in shame - what's "BBE"?
Calfborg
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Calfborg »

pegor wrote:what's "BBE"?
Bass Boost Extreme
"Technology is like living with the eyes of a shark. A shark's eyes have no life in them." - Gary Busey
Calfborg | Jeshimoth
deshead
Panama

Post by deshead »

Plat
Push Comes to Shove

Post by Plat »

Puce wrote:if you're worried about artifacts like phase shift this is a step in the wrong direction.
I'm probably missing something stupid here... how does the phase shift come into play? I remember reading something about when you boost frequencies (or maybe change EQ in general) you're introducing some sort of phase or delay in the chain.

Is this an issue with software EQ'ing? If so, how does the phase shift get introduced?
Adam!
Ice Cream Man

Post by Adam! »

Phase shifting is at the very heart of how an EQ works. EQs take the incoming signal, delay it a certain amount, and then mix it back in with the original signal. This produces a phase shift that will cancel out certain frequencies. The more of the delayed signal you mix back in, the more pronounced the frequency attenuation (technically speaking I'm describing a comb filter here; EQs use allpass filters instead, which are similar but harder to explain. The theory is basically the same).

To work through an example, if you want to cut the 5 khz band by 3 db, you'll want to use a 100 microsecond delay, which is just the right amount to produce a phase shift of 180 degrees at 5000 hz. If we mixed these two out-of-phase signals together at equal volumes the 5khz band would be completely cancelled out; to get just 3 db of attenuation we'd mix in the shifted signal at only 1/8th strength.

The result is a) frequencies near 5khz are shifted partially out of phase, and b) a tiny, quiet echo is introduced to the whole signal. At the microsecond level it is utterly impossible to hear the delay itself, but repeated EQing can compound it, causing a sort of "smearing" that sounds indistinct and phasey, and can wreck havoc on the signal's transients.

All good EQs will use some tricks to reduce the artifacts produced by the process. Also, there are some EQs that do phase compensation to avoid the artifacts altogether, but these always have a certain amount of built-in delay, which can make them impractical for anything other than mastering.

Math!
raisedbywolves
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by raisedbywolves »

I like to boost the QE2 whilst filtering out the excess "stalfos" frequencies. Depending on the sound I am going for, I also try to amplify the freshkes, but only up to one three-hundredth of the QE2 variable, unless I am going for a "Cher" sound, then I reverse everything and pass it all through the lower quadrant of the mandingo filter. I have all this worked out on my talking graphing calculator, which features the voice of St. Elsewhere star/hybrid car enthusiast Ed Begley Jr.
Aren't you the guy that hit me in the eye?
Denyer
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Dunlop KT-26
Submitting as: Ross Durand

Post by Denyer »

I cut so much you thought I was a DJ.
bz£
Panama

Post by bz£ »

stueym wrote:so I was reading about Har-Bal's Harmonic Balancing program (see here). ANyone else heard of this. Sound on Sound gave it a very nice review and although I have only used it on one track so far, it was pretty good at takin my normally pretty woody sounding mix and making it sound more....commercial is the only word I can use.

It's a neat program. I use it for visualization, though not actually in final mixes anywhere. It basically shows you how and where your mix differs from a typical "commercial" production (or whatever reference mix you want to use).

I wouldn't call it "automatic mastering." It is just a parametric EQ with a very useful interface. Deshead's point about mixing with your ears is good but you shouldn't neglect your other senses either. Using your eyes can help get you where you want to go more efficiently sometimes.
stueym
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Cubase/Stenberg CI2+/Roland VG-99/RolandGR-55
Submitting as: stueym

Post by stueym »

bzl wrote:
stueym wrote:so I was reading about Har-Bal's Harmonic Balancing program (see here). ANyone else heard of this. Sound on Sound gave it a very nice review and although I have only used it on one track so far, it was pretty good at takin my normally pretty woody sounding mix and making it sound more....commercial is the only word I can use.

It's a neat program. I use it for visualization, though not actually in final mixes anywhere. It basically shows you how and where your mix differs from a typical "commercial" production (or whatever reference mix you want to use).

I wouldn't call it "automatic mastering." It is just a parametric EQ with a very useful interface. Deshead's point about mixing with your ears is good but you shouldn't neglect your other senses either. Using your eyes can help get you where you want to go more efficiently sometimes.
Thanks Ben...I think it will help me as my ears apparently suck :-)
"You know, I rather like this God fellow. Very theatrical, you know. Pestilence here, a plague there. Omnipotence ... gotta get me some of that."
Reist
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Drums, Guitar
Recording Method: Yamaha AW1600, Reaper
Submitting as: Therman

Post by Reist »

I honestly don't know anything about mastering or EQing. Maybe that's why everybody complains about my songs clipping. What can I do to fix that?
Bjam
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Singin', Guitarin', Mandolinin'

Post by Bjam »

When you record, don't let your levels(the pretty green-yellow-orange-red bars) go into the red. That means it'll clip, because it's way too loud and horrible sounding. Turn stuff down basically. (And now someone will come along with technical skillz and describe it exactly.)
Songfighter since back in the day.
Plat
Push Comes to Shove

Post by Plat »

Bjam wrote:
Jolly Roger wrote:Clipping!
(And now someone will come along with a misquote and schmuckily suggest to search for "clipping" in the "Help and How To" thread.)
Wheeee!
mc3p0
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by mc3p0 »

I do everything with massive compression, close to stereo - but not too distinct, almost no realistic EQ, filter by hand on the fly and entirely with headphones. Viola, my bitches! Do these things and you will have a Cheap Bastards-sounding mix. The red lines mean RIPE!
"The toot of a flute with the flavour of fruit!" - Caractacus Potts, 1968