How many blades do you prefer on your razor?

How much do you love this stuff?

How many blades do you prefer on your razor?

Zero
9%
One (I share mine with Occam)
12%
Two
6%
Three
58%
Four
12%
More than five
No votes
I'd sooner claw with my fingernails
3%

Total votes: 33
catch
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by catch »

Leaf wrote:
catch wrote:Real pirates don't shave.
Real pirates don't hang out on message boards either matey.
I don't consider myself "hanging out" as much as "raping and pillaging."
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin
Pronouns: he/him

Post by roymond »

tviyh wrote:i have developed the habit of shaving while in the shower, shaving once in a downward direction and then going back over much of the same area (particularly the neck and cheeks) in an upward direction, which produces a much smoother closer shave.
Exactly, going on 26 years now. Two blades. Gillette Atra ("the first twin blade shaving system with a pivoting head") originals (hard to find these days)
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher
Pronouns: Dude or GURRRLLLL!
Location: Charlotte, NC ... A big city on its first day at the new job.

Post by Hoblit »

roymond wrote:
tviyh wrote:i have developed the habit of shaving while in the shower, shaving once in a downward direction and then going back over much of the same area (particularly the neck and cheeks) in an upward direction, which produces a much smoother closer shave.
Exactly, going on 26 years now. Two blades. Gillette Atra ("the first twin blade shaving system with a pivoting head") originals (hard to find these days)
Thats at least four of us now.

I shave down (especially if I've skipped a day or two) IN THE SHOWER before I shave UP...then sideways or whichever way gets that particular hair on that particular place on my face. As I've said..two bladed Gillet Sensor. Wow. My friend thought it was weird that I shaved in the shower (where I also brush my teeth and use mouthwash...get it all done under the therapy of hot running water)
roymond
Beat It
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin

Post by roymond »

I never use a mirror as a result of this shower practice. And when i do use a mirror (at a hotel or ... i don't know why) I inevitably cut myself. Also, my kids sometimes turn the light off (the switch is outside the room) and my wife will freak out "he's trying to shave!" but I'm fine. No need for light.
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
Future Boy
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Keyboard, Vocals
Recording Method: Apollo Twin, Reaper, Rhodes, Casios
Submitting as: Future Boy

Post by Future Boy »

yes, in the shower, with a mach3, no mirror. even managed to find a good length for my sideburns such that the contour of my face dictates the line, so I don't have to worry about jagged sideburns.

See also: http://www.metafilter.com/mefi/51484
New Album: Comes Apart | Missed Connections | With Johnny Cashpoint: A Maze of Death | modular synths on Youtube
Bjam
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Singin', Guitarin', Mandolinin'

Post by Bjam »

Gillette Venus, the blue one.
Songfighter since back in the day.
Spud
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, eHorn
Submitting as: Octothorpe

Post by Spud »

Sad to see that bjam has succumbed to the marketing hype that says that there is a difference between male and female hair.

Personally, I have traditionally been a one-blade man. The simple BIC disposable is a good as it gets, if you can even get it any more. As far as I am concerned, any more blades are put there for one reason. To clog up. The more blades, the more clogs, and the sooner you reach for a new one. It's a marketing innovation, guys, not a technical one.

My concerns over clogs derive partially from the fact that I have never gotten into the habit of shaving every day. I shave when I have a meeting, a date, or just want to clean up my looks for some other reason. This averages out to once or twice a week, so clogs can be a real problem.

Recently, however, I have been impressed by the Schick ST Slim Twin disposable. The reason is the ingenious between-the-blades cleaner, which operates with the push of a button to unclog the blades. It works pretty well with up to three or four days worth of growth.

Of course, we are talking about the face here. The head is an entirely different story.

Nothing beats the <a href=http://www.headblade.com>Headblade</a> for the old cranium. The reverse "push" shaving technique takes a little getting used to, and is only good for the front and top (I still use my ST on the back), but you get a darned good shave in record time.

Sure, it uses Gillette Atra twin blades, but clogging isn't that much of a problem. You see, I am such a fanatic about the fact that my shaved head should be as smooth as a baby's butt at all times, I shave it at least twice a day. Hairs that short don't present much of a clogging risk.

Why am I such a fanatic, you might ask... hey, do you want to be in a bar and have some babe come up and rub your head only to find you've got a five o'clock shadow on top? Not me. In fact, when they walk up and say "can I rub your head?" (and they do), I say "can I fondle your breasts?". I have only gotten a couple of takers so far, but they were WAY worth the extra shaving time, which is minimized by the Headblade.
Last edited by Spud on Thu May 18, 2006 12:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
"I only listen to good music. And Octothorpe." - Marcus Kellis
Song Fight! The Rockening
roymond
Beat It

Post by roymond »

<< glad I use Atra already...now considering shaving my head >>
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs

Post by HeuristicsInc »

hey, i'd forgotten about the one with the little button on it - i used to use that. long time ago. i feel like the shave is closer with the 3 blades than just one and being in the shower loosens the clogs real well. i really never thought i'd be discussing shaving techniques online, but there it is.
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
sausage boy
bono
bono
Instruments: Bass, Vocals, Terrible drum machine, even worse harmonica
Recording Method: Creative Recorder, ModPlug Tracker and Audacity

Post by sausage boy »

Its amazing to learn about all the different person hygiene quirks people have.

Like, only the other day, i found out that there are people who scrunch toilet paper up to use it, and those who fold it. How about that.
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs

Post by HeuristicsInc »

is that another poll in the making??? ;)
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

Spud wrote:Sad to see that bjam has succumbed to the marketing hype that says that there is a difference between male and female hair.
Actually, I always buy ladies razors. One of the big brands - can't remember which - makes twin blade disposable razors with the lubricating strip - identical to the mens ones except they come in nice individual pastel colours - AND THEY ARE ALWAYS CHEAPER!

Disposable razors are the only products on Earth where the womans version is cheaper than the man's version. I don't know why.

So, with these - my wife and I can use the razors from the same packet - and because they are all individual colours - it's easy to tell whose is whose.
Bjam
Ice Cream Man

Post by Bjam »

Ladies razors are prettier colours.
jimtyrrell
Mr. Beast
Instruments: Guitar/bass/keys
Recording Method: Various. Mostly Garageband these days, actually.
Submitting as: Jim Tyrrell

Post by jimtyrrell »

Why aren't they 'razours'?

Also: I use Twin Blade disposables for everything. Well no not EVERYTHING, just everything that I shave. Which does include my head from time to time.
TheNedPlimptonOrchestra
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by TheNedPlimptonOrchestra »

lego beats the crap out of playmobil anyday.
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

You're so wrong on that one. Playmobil Pirates could have Lego Pirates and still have time to take Barbie out on a hot pirate date.
erik
Jump
Submitting as: 15-16 puzzle

Post by erik »

Three blades.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

jimtyrrell wrote:Why aren't they 'razours'?
Excellent question!

According to the Online Etymological Dictionary "razor" c.1290, from O.Fr. rasour "a razor" (12c.), from raser "to scrape, shave"

Whereas "colour/color": c.1225, from O.Fr. colur, from L. color (acc. colorem) "color, hue," from Old L. colos, orig. "a covering" (akin to celare "to hide, conceal"

So it appears that the American spelling of a word such as "colour" actually more accurately reflects it's Latin root, only to be bastardised by the English later with their added "u".

"Razor" on the other hand missed out on a second syllable refurbishment from the "our" Nazis - where in fact, a spelling of "razour" would possibly be entirely appropriate.

(Oh, and I'd just like to add, I have absolutley no idea what I'm talking about - so kids, please don't go and deface the dictionarys in the school library on Caravan Ray's advice.)
Sober
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Mandolin, hammond, dobro, banjo
Recording Method: Pro Tools

Post by Sober »

I shave my balls.
🤠
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

Spud wrote:Sad to see that bjam has succumbed to the marketing hype that says that there is a difference between male and female hair.
well, there IS a difference (sometimes) between male and female razors. the mach III which i use has a little thin strip of lubricating junk above the blades, which is handy when i don't feel like using shaving cream or gel, which is pretty much all the time. however, i've seen these pink razors advertised that look like a blade embedded in a bar of soap or something. i'm almost tempted to give that a try :>
Spud
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, eHorn
Submitting as: Octothorpe

Post by Spud »

tviyh wrote:
well, there IS a difference (sometimes) between male and female razors. the mach III which i use has a little thin strip of lubricating junk above the blades, which is handy when i don't feel like using shaving cream or gel, which is pretty much all the time. however, i've seen these pink razors advertised that look like a blade embedded in a bar of soap or something. i'm almost tempted to give that a try :>
You are reinforcing my point. You are describing a difference in razors, not in hair. This is mostly a marketing difference, in my opinion. Bjam wants a pretty one because it shaves better?
"I only listen to good music. And Octothorpe." - Marcus Kellis
Song Fight! The Rockening
Bjam
Ice Cream Man

Post by Bjam »

Spud wrote:
tviyh wrote:
You are reinforcing my point. You are describing a difference in razors, not in hair. This is mostly a marketing difference, in my opinion. Bjam wants a pretty one because it shaves better?

tviyh: These? They are spectacular, but they leave you smelling like melons.

And I want a pretty razor because it looks pretty in my bathroom. If men's razors were pretty colours, I'd buy them, but they're all black and non-pretty.