Song Fight! Live 2017 Foodies & Hoodies

All about the next annual live event. Are you coming?. Discuss travel & lodging. Recruit band members, discuss equipment, setlists, etc.
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff
Pronouns: he/him

Re: Song Fight! Live 2017 Foodies & Hoodies

Post by ken »

Remember, if you are playing a song in the live fight, you are performing on Saturday!
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

I'm doing some last minute research into live streaming options. If anybody has recommendations please let me know. I'm currently trying to set it up as a YouTube live stream event on my YouTube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCz9Zfs ... dNzcr5yJIw

I'll have to broadcast from my laptop though. You can't broadcast live from mobile unless your channel has >=100 subscribers and mine has zero.
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin

Post by roymond »

fluffy wrote:Roymond (or anyone else), are you going to be at the YBG festival? It'd be fun to get some hanging-out in before the show.
I’ll be there with my niece. Not sure what time she’ll be down but I’m free to hang.
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Backup plan for the live stream will be to use Facebook Live on the Song Fight Facebook page instead of (or maybe in addition to) YouTube. I think that would be publicly available so no need to have a Facebook account to see it but I could be mistaken about that.

https://www.facebook.com/songfight.org/
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Night 1 is DONE! It went amazing! Great job to everybody who performed, and thanks to all who helped the show run smoothly. Thanks to Spud for MC-ing. You can catch the video of the show here, EXCEPT very unfortunately it cut off in the middle of Jeff's first song (the first song of the last set). It looks like the Facebook app on my old phone crashed for some reason. But it ran for 4 solid hours, so, tomorrow I'll start it closer to showtime and we should hopefully get the whole show.

https://www.facebook.com/songfight.org/ ... 596431628/
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

Hey that was a blast last night! Thanks to everyone that came and was involved in organizing it. Loved meeting Phil and Heather for the first time and hanging out with them. And always good to see Spudicus. One thing I wanted to mention is we grabbed some food at Pedro's Brazilian Cafe (the shack) at 2161 University Ave. It's at the very end of Shattuck near the UC campus. The sandwiches are to freaking DIE for. I saved half of my Obama and inhaled it when I got back to Santa Cruz at 1:30 in the morning. Highly recommend this place for some pre show grub. https://www.pedrosbrazilcafe.com/blank
Hi!
Mr. Car
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: Wood things with P-90's
Recording Method: Lang-O-Tron 3.2.4
Submitting as: sonofsupercar

Post by Mr. Car »

Thanks very much to Spud, Ken, Sam, Erin, the whole Berkeley SFL gang, the Starry Plough, Brody, The Hell Yeahs...all of you, for putting this on, entertaining us with your music, and having us there last night.

On behalf of sonofsupercar, I hope every day is your birthday, and everything is your pony.
sonofsupercar, Kindly Swears, Bang Operator, Turtle Boy
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff

Post by ken »

It was a great nigh of music and friends. So great to see everyone again and hear you all perform. Looking forward to tonight!
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
jack
Hot for Teacher

Post by jack »

Mr. Car wrote:Thanks very much to Spud, Ken, Sam, Erin, the whole Berkeley SFL gang, the Starry Plough, Brody, The Hell Yeahs...all of you, for putting this on, entertaining us with your music, and having us there last night.

On behalf of sonofsupercar, I hope every day is your birthday, and everything is your pony.
It was great to see you again. You guys brought the rock. And I loved hearing you play "Shreds" again. Love that song. So many good songs from that fight.
Hi!
jack
Hot for Teacher

Post by jack »

ken wrote:It was a great nigh of music and friends. So great to see everyone again and hear you all perform. Looking forward to tonight!
Thanks again Ken (and Sam) for organizing this. Great venue. Great crowd. Great music. Great fun!
Hi!
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

Friday was great! Shout out to the little old man who was cutting a rug through most of the evening.
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

That old man was awesome. Also the tri-tip sandwiches at that Brazilian place are fantastic.

Night 2 starts soon! We'll be live streaming on Facebook again. Keep your fingers crossed that the stream doesn't cut off this time. If it does FB message me and I'll try to restart it although I may be minimally available.
Chumpy
Twilight Sparkle
Instruments: Vocals, guitar, bass
Recording Method: Logic
Submitting as: Jerkatorium, Chumpy

Post by Chumpy »

Thanks for posting the video Lunkhead! Loved hearing you guys do Deep Sub-Reddit which is one of my favorites.
"I don't recommend ending on a bad joke." --ken
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

I'm glad it worked almost 100% last night. Sadly tonight it didn't fare as well. It's pretty tough to get a live stream working without anybody there to actually manage it. :/ I have to just set it and forget it. So this time I noticed some time after playing in Ken's set that it had failed. Then unfortunately the stupid Facebook live video feature defaults to using the front facing camera and I've only just used it 2 times so I didn't think about that when I restarted it. Oh well! Other folks got video of most of the show and audio of all of it, I believe, which will likely surface eventually.

Anyway, that aside, night 2 went great also! Thanks again to all involved. We had six entries in the live fight: Ken, The Sheeple's Republic (Jeff and Erin), Octothorpe, Roymond, Berkeley Social Scene, and me. The winner was, The Sheeple's Republic!! You'll probably hear some versions of some of these songs in the online fight.

I'm super tired now, time to pass out. See you all next year!
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

This was amazing and thank you everyone for making it such a great experience as always. Everyone was so fantastic.
Heather. Redmon.
Mean Street
Instruments: Vox
Submitting as: The Hell Yeahs
Pronouns: She/her

Post by Heather. Redmon. »

Thank you to everyone who organized this event. Phil and I had so much fun and would love to do a SF Live again! We appreciate you all sticking with us through our technical difficulties and whatnot. The words of encouragement were so nice to hear. And on top of it all, we got to meet so many great Sonfighters who have been household names for so long. So much fun!
jack wrote:heather is the hardest working mom on songfight (in addition to being arguably the rockinist chick....).
Listen to our music!
jack
Hot for Teacher

Post by jack »

Heather. Redmon. wrote:Thank you to everyone who organized this event. Phil and I had so much fun and would love to do a SF Live again! We appreciate you all sticking with us through our technical difficulties and whatnot. The words of encouragement were so nice to hear. And on top of it all, we got to meet so many great Sonfighters who have been household names for so long. So much fun!
I hope this long standing tradition doesn't die from a lack of interest. It's been a good run. Maybe in a couple years, I'll offer to host another Santa Cruz show (if I'm still here, although I've been here now for 14 years and counting). If I do host another show here, you and Phil better make it! That's all I have to say about that! Thanks again to all the Berkeley songfighters and especially Ken and Sam for hooking us up with the Starry Plough.
Hi!
Heather. Redmon.
Mean Street
Instruments: Vox
Submitting as: The Hell Yeahs
Pronouns: She/her

Post by Heather. Redmon. »

jack wrote:If I do host another show here, you and Phil better make it! That's all I have to say about that
We'll be there!
jack wrote:heather is the hardest working mom on songfight (in addition to being arguably the rockinist chick....).
Listen to our music!
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Hey all. Huge thanks again to all who performed, attended, and helped run Song FIght Live 2017 in Berkeley! It was a big success in many ways. One of the ways was we made $763 from the shows!

We gave $50 of that to the sound person when the show was done as a token of our gratitude for her dealing with a much more complex show than the average night with a couple bands. She was cool and did a great job.

We decided to donate the rest of the money to a few charities. In order to make it easier to split things up I also pitched in to round the pool up to $750.

The first charity is the Alternative Music Foundation. It's a local music non-profit that among other things runs Berkeley's legendary all-ages punk/rock club 924 Gilman. We donated $300 to them. You can read more about them here:

https://www.924gilman.org/about/

The other two charities are Save The Children and Direct Relief, both of whom have been involved in Puerto Rico hurricane relief efforts, and from the bit of research we did seemed like well rated and reviewed charitable organizations. We donated $225 to each of them. You can read more about them here:

https://www.directrelief.org/about/
http://www.savethechildren.org/site/c.8 ... out_Us.htm

It's really cool that we could put on a great show that went so well and was so much fun and also have it contribute to helping others. You all made it possible. Go Song Fight!
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

Ah, that's really cool to hear! I'm glad the money went to good stuff.
BoffoYux
Panama
Instruments: Keys, Clunking, SFX and Strings
Recording Method: Audacity, Adobe, and other 'A' titled software
Submitting as: Boffo Yux Dudes

Post by BoffoYux »

That's Awesome!
jack
Hot for Teacher

Post by jack »

That's awesome. Thanks for all you and the Berkeley crew did for organizing and setting this up. It was big fun. And always great to greet old faces (Spud!) and meet new faces (Phil and Heather!). It's a great annual tradition.
Hi!