Songfight Live 2011 Musician Exchange

All about the next annual live event. Are you coming?. Discuss travel & lodging. Recruit band members, discuss equipment, setlists, etc.
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Songfight Live 2011 Musician Exchange

Post by JonPorobil »

The more practice time, the better, right?

I'm available to play keyboard for anyone who needs it. I also play just about everything else, so if you happen to need a random extra instrument, feel free to ask me. In Spokane, I played keys for fluffy, Naked Philosophy, and Roymond. I also played mandolin for Kasper and (for some odd reason) lead guitar on one of Roymond's songs. In San Francisco, I played keys and harmonica for Naked Philosophy (repeat customer! I must be doin' something right!) and keys for Frankie Big Face.

On the flip side of that coin...

I'd like to have a full four-piece band this year for my whole set. I'll play piano for myself, but I'd also like a guitarist, a bassist, and a drummer for five songs (possibly six - I haven't timed myself yet and don't know how much time I'll have anyway). If any of the volunteers would be willing to sing harmonies, that would be nice, too. Also, one song may also require a second guitarist. Anyone up for helping out?
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Re: Songfight Live 2011 Musician Exchange

Post by fluffy »

Similarly: I am willing to play drums, bass, or keys for people, and maybe guitar if it's easy enough. [EDIT] I'm also willing to bring my electric violin, if anyone needs it. Be warned that I pretty much completely suck at it though.

And I am still working out my arrangements this year but I am pretty sure I'll want people to play bass, drums, and SIDstation. Yes, Fred is coming out of retirement.
Last edited by fluffy on Sun May 01, 2011 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
inevitableguy
Mean Street
Instruments: Stuff with strings, vocals, poor drum machine programming
Recording Method: Roland VS-1880
Submitting as: Naked Philosophy

Post by inevitableguy »

Now that I know for sure that I'm coming (I bought my plane tickets yesterday), I'll throw my hat into this ring, as well. I'm willing to play guitar or bass on anyone's set (I can play the mandolin, too, but I'm a lot weaker on it). Fair warning - I'm not a great improvisational musician, but if you get me your set list a few weeks before the gig, I will show up ready to play.

For my set, I plan on playing the punk version of some songs - short, fast, and loud. That means I need a drummer and a bass player...maybe a second guitarist for a few songs? Auditions will be held on...no, just kidding. I wouldn't turn down the chance to play with any one of you.
==========================================
Naked Philosophy, The Tedward Nixon Experience
"Brilliant and disastrous at almost the exact same time" - Melvin
JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

inevitableguy wrote:Now that I know for sure that I'm coming (I bought my plane tickets yesterday), I'll throw my hat into this ring, as well. I'm willing to play guitar or bass on anyone's set (I can play the mandolin, too, but I'm a lot weaker on it). Fair warning - I'm not a great improvisational musician, but if you get me your set list a few weeks before the gig, I will show up ready to play.

For my set, I plan on playing the punk version of some songs - short, fast, and loud. That means I need a drummer and a bass player...maybe a second guitarist for a few songs? Auditions will be held on...no, just kidding. I wouldn't turn down the chance to play with any one of you.
I will need an electric guitarist for at least two songs, and I'd love for it to be you. I've got my tabs already ready to send out.

I'm not much of a drummer, but I'd be willing to play bass for you if no one else comes through. It's not my primary instrument, but I play bass on all my own recordings, so you can hear I'm not bad at it.

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

Bump.

I've got my two guitarists, but I still need a drummer and a bassist, as well as two backup/harmony vocalists (who, obviously, might also be the instrumentalists in question as well).

My setlist is complete with tabs and mp3s, ready to send to whomever volunteers, so you can begin practicing immediately (or procrastinate until the last second, as tends to happen with these things anyway). I'm preparing six songs, but may cut it down to five if time becomes an issue.

inevitableguy
Mean Street

Post by inevitableguy »

The usual bottleneck is drummers. We've got fluffy for sure (see above), and (based on the other thread) it looks like we'll have Ken, too. Anyone else?
BBABM
Mean Street
Instruments: Guitar, Voice, drums
Recording Method: Session, fruity loops
Submitting as: Bad Boys at Bat Mitzvahs, Fitzroy

Post by BBABM »

I will be there and am decent at drums. I however cannot read music, so if you have complicated arrangements I won't be able to help... If you are looking for someone to keep a beat, I would be happy to help out.
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

Big question: Who is bringing drums? or should I be hunting down drums? should we start a buy Niv a drum set fund? Because Spaceonwhite lacks drums. Sidewalk has drums.
"I'd like to see 1984 redubbed with this in the soundtrack."- Furrypedro.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

Are there any places that rent them out?

Also, Target and Wal Mart both sell really cheap drum kits now (like $150ish), although I think they're kid-sized.
inevitableguy
Mean Street

Post by inevitableguy »

BTW, are we going to have someplace to rehearse?
Niveous
Beat It

Post by Niveous »

That's a fair question in which I have no answer to. It's funny because the 3 SF shows I've been a part of have all been different about this. SF Wayne had people sneaking into a storage room before the show starts to have some semblance of rehearsal. SF NY v1 had some people rent out the apartment above the place to rehearse before the show. SF NY v2, other than XTRG coming to my old house in NJ, I don't recall hearing about any prior rehearsals. But those were all SF Presents shows and this is an SF Live (aka the big show) so I don't know if there is some kind of rehearsal precedent?
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

Usually at the big shows, the various locals will provide their home as a de-facto jam or practice space. My home was quite chaotic in 2010. It was wonderful.
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Lunkhead »

I think in Spokane we had some time at the venue where we could rehearse...? But I'm not sure I remember that correctly. In Boston we had rehearsal time at a professional music rehearsal facility. In Santa Cruz I think rehearsals happened at Jack Shite's house. I don't know what happened in Atlanta or Tampa.
JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

Lunkhead wrote:I think in Spokane we had some time at the venue where we could rehearse...?
Yeah, there was lots of time for us to run through all our sets at the venue in Spokane. That was probably a special case, though.

fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

Yeah, the venue was set up in a way that it made sense for that to happen, since the main business was open but the actual room was closed off except for concerts.
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs
Pronouns: he/him

Post by HeuristicsInc »

Niveous wrote:SF NY v2, other than XTRG coming to my old house in NJ, I don't recall hearing about any prior rehearsals.
J$ and I rented a room at Ripley-Grier studios for our rehearsal... they had a piano and we could make noise. got the impression that they were mostly for theater productions, but it was fine.
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

Lunkhead wrote:In Santa Cruz I think rehearsals happened at Jack Shite's house. I don't know what happened in Atlanta or Tampa.
ah yes, good times and good memories. most people I've ever packed in my house at one time. :)

In Tampa, we practiced at Hoblit's house.

This place seems pretty cost effective. $55/2 hrs.

Found on craigslist.
Hi!
Niveous
Beat It

Post by Niveous »

Gotta discuss the drum issue.

Most places are quite expensive for rentals and we are also coming to the issue of having this drumset at night and having to pay overnight fees and having no real place to store it. So, the drum thing is still up in the air. Not suggesting that we don't have one. We just need to figure out how to get our hands on one. I need ideas, folks.
fluffy wrote:Also, Target and Wal Mart both sell really cheap drum kits now (like $150ish), although I think they're kid-sized.
Yes, they are kid sized. I have no idea what that entails but it is cheaper than a rental. But I'm no drummer, I have no clue what the SF drummers need.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

I think I actually prefer playing on kid-sized sets, myself, but I'm not a real drummer.
BBABM
Mean Street
Instruments: Guitar, Voice, drums
Recording Method: Session, fruity loops
Submitting as: Bad Boys at Bat Mitzvahs, Fitzroy

Post by BBABM »

As long as it is actually drums, with heads and such, and not just a cheap toy I don't see any problem with child size... Unless someone desperately needs a 18 piece set... Then their effed anyways. Have you checked craigslist? I'm sure the one for NYC is way crazier, and hard to navigate than the local one here, but you can usually find a beater for under a hundred bucks.
nyjm
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: acoustic guitar, electric guitar, synth, various MIDI instruments
Recording Method: Reaper, Line 6 POD, GLS Audio 57 and 58
Submitting as: noah mclaughlin, Ford's Theater Disaster, Juliet's Happy Dagger

Post by nyjm »

I'm more than happy to provide some guitar and back up vox for anyone who would like.

On the flip-side, I've been toying with the idea of going for a full-band set. Hrm... gotta ruminate that one. Upside: righteous sound; downside: logistics.

And on a related note, I'm very happy to chip in a bit to buy us a cheap-o kid's drum set. Just say the word. (& a little email to njm148 at yahoo would be cool.)
"You sound like the ghost of David Bowie." - SchlimminyCricket | it was a pleasure to burn | my website | Juliet's Happy Dagger
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

Niveous wrote: I need ideas, folks.
ok, first thing you do is set up a dedicated paypal account to pay for the drums. then you need to create a funny, heartfelt plea/fundraising campaign to the online community for spare change or a bit more to help pay for the drums at SFLNYC. It's alot easier to collect a few bucks from hundreds than hundreds from a few. Add this info to the webpage/SFLNYC homepage once Spud builds it. Also add it to the news on the SF homepage. Set a deadline ( a few weeks before the show) and then somebody (Niveous I assume) buys a cheap used drumkit off of craigslist NYC with whatever is raised.

After the show, Niveous can sell the kit and any $ made gets funneled back to the organizers for any out of pocket costs they incurred.

I mean, even I'd give you guys a buck or 2.
Hi!