Songfight Live 2012 Location Poll

All about the next annual live event. Are you coming?. Discuss travel & lodging. Recruit band members, discuss equipment, setlists, etc.

In what city should Songfight Live 2012 be hosted?

Atlanta, GA - Noah McLaughlin
12%
Austin, TX - Jon Eric
15%
Madison, WI - Manhattan Glutton
24%
Seattle, WA - Spud
48%

Total votes: 33
Future Boy
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Keyboard, Vocals
Recording Method: Apollo Twin, Reaper, Rhodes, Casios
Submitting as: Future Boy
Pronouns: he/him

Re: Songfight Live 2012 Location Poll

Post by Future Boy »

I voted for Austin because I live there and the only reason I haven't made it out to past SFL's is because travel was not possible. Also, I selfishly want to be able to perform on my rhodes and aren't going to be taking it on the road. That said, Seattle is my number 2.
New Album: Comes Apart | Missed Connections | With Johnny Cashpoint: A Maze of Death | modular synths on Youtube
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

Qantas flies direct from Sydney to Dallas now I think - which is just a short drive to Austin.

I'd still rather vote for LA though. Trips to Disneyland can always be negotiated with the family. And BNE to LAX is cheap and easy. But Texas is really just the same as Queensland - only smaller and with stupider accents. I don't really want to go there.
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

Caravan Ray wrote:Qantas flies direct from Sydney to Dallas now I think - which is just a short drive to Austin.

I'd still rather vote for LA though. Trips to Disneyland can always be negotiated with the family. And BNE to LAX is cheap and easy. But Texas is really just the same as Queensland - only smaller and with stupider accents. I don't really want to go there.
Either Texas is bigger than you think, or your definition of "short drive" doesn't mesh with mine. Dallas to Austin by car is about three and a half hours.
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

Generic wrote:
Caravan Ray wrote:Qantas flies direct from Sydney to Dallas now I think - which is just a short drive to Austin.

Either Texas is bigger than you think, or your definition of "short drive" doesn't mesh with mine. Dallas to Austin by car is about three and a half hours.
Yep - that's what I thought. I'm from Queensland remember. My definition of "short drive" probably doesn't mesh with yours. Three and a half hours is 'just down the road' here.

Haven't been to Texas - but with the cows and miners and cowboys - I just figured it would be a mini version of Queensland. With better Mexican food.
RangerDenni
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: vocals, piano, drums, bit o’gitfiddle, other noisy stuff
Recording Method: cubase, pianoteq, desperation.
Submitting as: a mysterious presence of quiet silence and apology reverb
Pronouns: She/Her They/Them

Post by RangerDenni »

Caravan Ray wrote:
Generic wrote:

Yep - that's what I thought. I'm from Queensland remember. My definition of "short drive" probably doesn't mesh with yours. Three and a half hours is 'just down the road' here.

Haven't been to Texas - but with the cows and miners and cowboys - I just figured it would be a mini version of Queensland. With better Mexican food.
well, you're saying a bunch of silly stuff in this thread, but at least you have not claimed that "tomato sauce" is like salsa. so we have that at least. :) x
"Really interesting how the point you’re making slowly emerges like Martin Sheen from the mud in Apocalypse Now..." ~j$
Caravan Ray
bono
bono

Post by Caravan Ray »

RangerDenni wrote: well, you're saying a bunch of silly stuff in this thread, but at least you have not claimed that "tomato sauce" is like salsa. so we have that at least. :) x
I always thought Americans called tomato sauce "ketchup" - but google suggests you may be referring to something else. Ewww.

But the point is - Austin is a short drive from Dallas. Whereas all the other choices involve changing onto domestic flights at LAX.
RangerDenni
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: vocals, piano, drums, bit o’gitfiddle, other noisy stuff
Recording Method: cubase, pianoteq, desperation.
Submitting as: a mysterious presence of quiet silence and apology reverb
Pronouns: She/Her They/Them

Post by RangerDenni »

Caravan Ray wrote:
RangerDenni wrote: well, you're saying a bunch of silly stuff in this thread, but at least you have not claimed that "tomato sauce" is like salsa. so we have that at least. :) x
I always thought Americans called tomato sauce "ketchup" - but google suggests you may be referring to something else. Ewww.

But the point is - Austin is a short drive from Dallas. Whereas all the other choices involve changing onto domestic flights at LAX.
you know that you are a Texan who married an Australian when you are able to read this whilst eating French Toast and all you do is giggle. What is wrong with me..?

Yes. Austin is just a jaunt from the Metero-plex. You are correct. :)
"Really interesting how the point you’re making slowly emerges like Martin Sheen from the mud in Apocalypse Now..." ~j$
Mike Lamb
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Bass, Guitar, Tin Whistle
Recording Method: Reason
Submitting as: Mike Lamb|The Nutwalls|Kasper|The Narcaloungers|Die Toten Schlaghosen|IRCUSM

Post by Mike Lamb »

Caravan Ray wrote: Haven't been to Texas - but with the cows and miners and cowboys - I just figured it would be a mini version of Queensland. With better Mexican food.
Imagine if Ipswitch was the size of NSW...
"Admittedly, I did not know what to expect with Kasper, but they, I think, just rocked our collective socks off." - GlennCase
Caravan Ray
bono
bono

Post by Caravan Ray »

Mike Lamb wrote:
Caravan Ray wrote: Haven't been to Texas - but with the cows and miners and cowboys - I just figured it would be a mini version of Queensland. With better Mexican food.
Imagine if Ipswitch was the size of NSW...
.....shudder
frankie big face
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, Bass, Guitar, Saxophone, Flute, Keyboard, Violin, Other Stuff
Recording Method: Logic, UAD Apollo Twin, aging iMac
Submitting as: frankie big face

Post by frankie big face »

So, I'm just wondering if we're any closer to a location and dates for this thing. I just found out I'm going to be in Cincinnati June 12-18 for a work thing and I'm considering just driving west after that. (With plenty of stops for baseball, of course). If Seattle is the ultimate destination, that could be cool! Until I have to drive home, but I have a plan for that too...which also involves baseball.
nyjm
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: acoustic guitar, electric guitar, synth, various MIDI instruments
Recording Method: Reaper, Line 6 POD, GLS Audio 57 and 58
Submitting as: noah mclaughlin, Ford's Theater Disaster, Juliet's Happy Dagger

Post by nyjm »

Well, it looks like Seattle is the head-and-shoulders fave. Spud, when's good for you?

Frankly the best (read: most flexible) time for me is mid-May or early August, but I know that my school schedule is out of sync with most others. Any Friday-through-Sunday deal during the summer is just fine.
"You sound like the ghost of David Bowie." - SchlimminyCricket | it was a pleasure to burn | my website | Juliet's Happy Dagger
Spud
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, eHorn
Submitting as: Octothorpe

Post by Spud »

OK, so I guess I had better start planning this thing, eh? Please start posting your scheduling requests. Not saying we're going to be able to meet any one individual's schedule, but it would be good to know what preferences are. I might as well warn you though, I do not generally run things by consensus. So just give me raw information. Don't bother to try to make a decision.

SPUD
"I only listen to good music. And Octothorpe." - Marcus Kellis
Song Fight! The Rockening
BBABM
Mean Street
Instruments: Guitar, Voice, drums
Recording Method: Session, fruity loops
Submitting as: Bad Boys at Bat Mitzvahs, Fitzroy

Post by BBABM »

well unfortunately Seattle may be a little distant for this broke joke to travel, though i would love to come visit sometime. this will nullify my chances of deceptively stealing a second win through empty promises, and subterfuge. it will also make it very difficult to repay all of you fine folks present at the NYC show for your votes last year. perhaps there will be a live stream againg, or a video that captures more than the first three songs so i can enjoy it from the comfort of my home. good luck!
Jefff
Push Comes to Shove
Submitting as: PPV

Post by Jefff »

My Song Fight Live spidy sense just went off and now I see the location was just set. Count me as an interested party. I'm busy around the same dates as Frank, and I have a feeling sometime in July would work best for me.
nyjm
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: acoustic guitar, electric guitar, synth, various MIDI instruments
Recording Method: Reaper, Line 6 POD, GLS Audio 57 and 58
Submitting as: noah mclaughlin, Ford's Theater Disaster, Juliet's Happy Dagger

Post by nyjm »

May 10 - 30 is my sweet spot: no classes, free any day of the week. August 2 - 12 is likewise unencumbered.

Otherwise, I'm free for long weekends, Friday through Sunday, all summer long.
"You sound like the ghost of David Bowie." - SchlimminyCricket | it was a pleasure to burn | my website | Juliet's Happy Dagger
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin

Post by roymond »

July is the absolute best time for me, but I will work with what happens.
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

The only weekend in the whole summer that I have a conflicting event is May 18-20.

Literally any other week would be fine with me, as long as I get about 3-4 months' notice.
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

At least summers in Seattle are not mind numbingly hot and humid.

Is that Jewelbox Theatre place still available Spud? That place was perfect!

(hmm, maybe not but the downstairs looks pretty bad ass!)
Hi!
anti-m
Ice Cream Man
Submitting as: Anti-m, Jeplexe

Post by anti-m »

For those not seeking the damp "full immersion experience" I feel the PNW is better enjoyed post-July 4, and best circa August.
frankie big face
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, Bass, Guitar, Saxophone, Flute, Keyboard, Violin, Other Stuff
Recording Method: Logic, UAD Apollo Twin, aging iMac
Submitting as: frankie big face

Post by frankie big face »

The best time for me would be the end of June, I guess, if I'm serious about driving from Cincinnati. Maybe I can pick up Manhattan Glutton in Madison and we can share the driving. :D
drë
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar
Recording Method: protools
Submitting as: Andre was here at Midnight

Post by drë »

If it happens in Seattle, i will be able to accommodate, and possibly perform.
Spud
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, eHorn
Submitting as: Octothorpe

Post by Spud »

Good, Good. Keep it it. I am starting to look at the calendar myself and have some awesome ideas for venues.

SPUD
"I only listen to good music. And Octothorpe." - Marcus Kellis
Song Fight! The Rockening