Song Fight! Live 2013 Location Brainstorming

All about the next annual live event. Are you coming?. Discuss travel & lodging. Recruit band members, discuss equipment, setlists, etc.
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots
Pronouns: he/him

Re: Song Fight! Live 2013 Location Brainstorming

Post by Lunkhead »

Finding venues that work for SF!L can be tough. It's not like a normal lineup that venues are used to booking. It's kind of more like a two-night fringe music festival, with many acts per night playing 20 minute sets. There likely won't be much local draw, but the many participants will likely be good patrons. We don't really want a big venue, but on the other hand a tiny coffee shop that doesn't handle loud music doesn't work very easily either (except for maybe an acoustic afternoon setup).

It's challenging to do sound for SF!L also because there can be a very wide array of instruments involved, changing radically every 20-30 minutes. No offense to any past hosts, but hosts generally do not own a full high quality backline in perfect working condition ready to go, so often the gear being used is cheap stuff of questionable sound quality and reliability. Many folks use backing tracks, so there usually needs to be a way to connect various devices' headphone jacks into the PA.

Has anybody written a "Guide to Hosting Song Fight! Live" anywhere yet? Maybe we need to work on that on one of the variou SF! wikis...
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Also, it'd be cool if when I typed "song fight live" into Google the #1 result was a central home page for Song Fight! Live, with general info about the event, and links to past instances of the event. Maybe something like http://songfight.org/live/ ? Right now #1 is SF!L Wet and Wild, then just songfight.org, then the Song Fight! Wikipedia page.
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff

Post by ken »

This certainly needs to be updated:

http://songfight.org/live/history/
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Whoa, how'd you find that page? That looks like a good start. It'd be great if that were at just /live and if it were updated. If I had access I would be willing to edit things rather than just gripe, but on second thought maybe I'd prefer not to have the ability to actually do the work. ;)
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

Lunkhead wrote:Finding venues that work for SF!L can be tough. It's not like a normal lineup that venues are used to booking. It's kind of more like a two-night fringe music festival, with many acts per night playing 20 minute sets. There likely won't be much local draw, but the many participants will likely be good patrons. We don't really want a big venue, but on the other hand a tiny coffee shop that doesn't handle loud music doesn't work very easily either (except for maybe an acoustic afternoon setup).

It's challenging to do sound for SF!L also because there can be a very wide array of instruments involved, changing radically every 20-30 minutes. No offense to any past hosts, but hosts generally do not own a full high quality backline in perfect working condition ready to go, so often the gear being used is cheap stuff of questionable sound quality and reliability. Many folks use backing tracks, so there usually needs to be a way to connect various devices' headphone jacks into the PA.

Has anybody written a "Guide to Hosting Song Fight! Live" anywhere yet? Maybe we need to work on that on one of the variou SF! wikis...
To that end, I'd just like to continue my campaign by mentioning again that I've already got some promising venues lined up, one of which is guaranteed to take us if we just give them enough notice.

I think Spud said he was going to write up some kind of guide, but I don't recall ever seeing a completed version of it.
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

Lunkhead wrote:Whoa, how'd you find that page? That looks like a good start. It'd be great if that were at just /live and if it were updated. If I had access I would be willing to edit things rather than just gripe, but on second thought maybe I'd prefer not to have the ability to actually do the work. ;)
You mean the page that's linked to from the very URL that you posted as a potential site for Song Fight live stuff?
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Oh yes, because I got an Apache directory listing and expected it to actually contain useful, easy to read information... Totally user friendly stuff there. I bet those Apache directory listings rank really high in Google search results, too? I should go change all my Web pages that contain links to other Web pages to just be directory listings, really. ◔̯◔ Plus there's still the part about it being six years out of date. But I guess your response pretty much sums up how we got here, so thanks for that.
JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

The brainstorm has only been open for about a week and a half, but it got started much later than usual, so I'm wondering when would be appropriate for the next step. The actual event usually occurs over the summer, which could be three to five months from now, so it would mostly likely help the organizer (whoever that turns out to be) to know soon so they can settle on dates and square away arrangements with venues.

Should we open a poll, or give people more time to suggest locations? Does someone make an executive decision?

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

I'm tossing a vote towards doing something in New England. My second choice is Atlanta.

New York is also wonderful though we did it pretty recently. Maybe a Songfight Presents in NYC...
"I'd like to see 1984 redubbed with this in the soundtrack."- Furrypedro.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Spud
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, eHorn
Submitting as: Octothorpe

Post by Spud »

Lunkhead wrote:Oh yes, because I got an Apache directory listing and expected it to actually contain useful, easy to read information... Totally user friendly stuff there. I bet those Apache directory listings rank really high in Google search results, too? I should go change all my Web pages that contain links to other Web pages to just be directory listings, really. ◔̯◔ Plus there's still the part about it being six years out of date. But I guess your response pretty much sums up how we got here, so thanks for that.
Calm down, Sam.
"I only listen to good music. And Octothorpe." - Marcus Kellis
Song Fight! The Rockening
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

As the former host of what was arguably THE BEST SONG FIGHT! LIVE EVER! I'd be happy to contribute to a "Definitive Guide to Hosting a Song Fight! Live!
Hi!
JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

So, I'm hearing:

Atlanta (JB)
Austin (me)
New England (Roymond)
Brisbane (C-Ray)

Should we make it a poll, or what?

jimtyrrell
Mr. Beast
Instruments: Guitar/bass/keys
Recording Method: Various. Mostly Garageband these days, actually.
Submitting as: Jim Tyrrell

Post by jimtyrrell »

Hi! I love the idea of a New England event, obviously. I host an open mic at a restaurant/bar in Campton NH called The Country Cow. There's a decent-sized function room downstairs, and there's a hotel right across the street. This might work better for a smaller (regional) event, since Campton NH is a bit off the beaten path. the nearest airport (Manchester) is about an hour away.

Nearby recreational opportunities include: tubing the Pemigewasset River (jul/aug); visiting Funspot, the world's largest arcade; and drinking (a classic NH hobby).
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

I would definitely make every attempt to go to a Lakes Region, "Live Free or Song Fight!" Live. That would get my vote. If any of you have never been to this area of New Hampshire in the summer, I only have 2 words to describe it.

Fucking awesome.

Lot's of vacation house rentals available, beautiful weather, great lakes to swim in. Jim T can dial it in. Best option I've heard so far.

/vote
Hi!
Niveous
Beat It

Post by Niveous »

Looking over this thread, New England has a lot of support, with Austin coming in second. Informal vote? Austin v. New England.
(of course I have no authority in these matters, I'm just trying to help move things along)

I vote for New England.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Niveous
Beat It

Post by Niveous »

Why is this thread so sleepy when spring is around the corner?
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
BoffoYux
Panama
Instruments: Keys, Clunking, SFX and Strings
Recording Method: Audacity, Adobe, and other 'A' titled software
Submitting as: Boffo Yux Dudes

Post by BoffoYux »

I'd vote for New England, but not sure Al could make it out for performances. But I'd make a trip up and coordinate equipment.
JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

Niveous wrote:Why is this thread so sleepy when spring is around the corner?
Really curious about that, myself.

Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Basic rock, at a basic level.
Recording Method: Roland 2480
Submitting as: Paco del Stinko

Post by Paco Del Stinko »

I would not be very good at setting up a local show. However, I am quite willing to be a lackey.
Bringin' the stink since 2006.