Songfight Live 2014 venue selection

All about the next annual live event. Are you coming?. Discuss travel & lodging. Recruit band members, discuss equipment, setlists, etc.
irwin
Mean Street
Instruments: insecurity
Recording Method: scotch
Submitting as: suckweasel, kasper, nutwalls

Re: Songfight Live 2014 venue selection

Post by irwin »

Rule number 2: if you have to ask what the rule is, the answer is "no."
"Ouch. I wonder if this guy sounds like this when he speaks." -- Puce
the idiot king
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Keys, Programming, Stuff for Hitting
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: The Idiot Kings
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by the idiot king »

if in DC, i'd be game to come out of hibernation. my sister lives about an hour outside, it'd be good to have an excuse to go down and visit.
"You know the change will do you good."
-Gang of Four
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others

Post by JonPorobil »

I cannot get time off from my job until after August 4th.

This means that I won't be able to determine whether I can even consider going until a date is decided upon. The host city is usually determined before the actual date of the event, therefore I don't feel like I can weigh in about the location. Once it's been settled, pick a date quick!
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

Funnily enough I seem to have enough Qantas Frequent Flier points to get me to NY - but not DC. Oh well - close enough, I should be able to work out something.

Though I would love to go to DC - I must admit, if someone comes up with an alternate offer further west - I would probably vote for it (shame I missed Texas last year - that would have been perfect). But - if DC it is - I am pretty sure I can do it. I think there is a point in time in July, after which airfares get suddenly cheaper - I'll check it out and post - if that could be taken into consideration it would be cool.

Hope you can make it Generic. As one newly minted bachelor to another - I will be needing a wing man.
JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

Caravan Ray wrote: Hope you can make it Generic. As one newly minted bachelor to another - I will be needing a wing man.
If it's after August 4th, I'm quite likely to be there. If it's before August 4th, I'm an almost definite "no." It would be awesome to meet you in person after all these years, though!

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band
Pronouns: he/him

Post by jb »

There's a train! Amtrak!
Caravan Ray wrote:Funnily enough I seem to have enough Qantas Frequent Flier points to get me to NY - but not DC. Oh well - close enough, I should be able to work out something.
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

jb wrote:There's a train! Amtrak!
Caravan Ray wrote:Funnily enough I seem to have enough Qantas Frequent Flier points to get me to NY - but not DC. Oh well - close enough, I should be able to work out something.
Yeah - I thought that may be easiest - Is there a station at JFK?
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

I think you can take a train/subway or combo to Grand Central or somewhere to get the train down to DC. Or cabs in to Manhattan from JFK are a fixed flat and semi-reasonable rate, which could take less time (I think the transit route from JFK into Manhattan takes a long time, cabs may or may not be quicker depending on traffic). It ought to be relatively simple/affordable to fly between NYC and DC, too.
likewised
A New Player
Instruments: guitar, drums, keys
Submitting as: Sasha P

Post by likewised »

Buses are always an option too? I've done the NYC/DC bus ride a couple of times. Less accommodating than the Amtrak, but takes about the same amount of time and is drastically more affordable. In case anyone's interested, this link compares various bus lines that do the run: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/ar ... busreview/
Caravan Ray
bono
bono

Post by Caravan Ray »

Unless I could actually board the train at JFK, which is where I would be - then there is probably no point leaving the airport. May as well fly.

Glad that is sorted out. Now - before I go delving further into the minutia of travel plans - we better actually decide what city it will be in.

FWIW - 21 July to 31 Aug appears to be low season fares from Aus. A time in that window would be good
frankie big face
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, Bass, Guitar, Saxophone, Flute, Keyboard, Violin, Other Stuff
Recording Method: Logic, UAD Apollo Twin, aging iMac
Submitting as: frankie big face

Post by frankie big face »

Caravan Ray wrote:Unless I could actually board the train at JFK, which is where I would be - then there is probably no point leaving the airport. May as well fly.
That's sort of true until you arrive at Dulles and find there's no easy way to get to downtown DC. A flight to BWI on the other hand works because there is an Amtrak station right there and it's a quick train ride to Union Station.

Leaving JFK, you take an AirTrain to get to the Long Island Railroad or the E train, both of which get you to Penn Station, which is where you would get the train to DC. FWIW.
frankie big face
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, Bass, Guitar, Saxophone, Flute, Keyboard, Violin, Other Stuff
Recording Method: Logic, UAD Apollo Twin, aging iMac
Submitting as: frankie big face

Post by frankie big face »

I will be notably (or not) absent this year as I am spending the summer in France. Have a great time!
BBABM
Mean Street
Instruments: Guitar, Voice, drums
Recording Method: Session, fruity loops
Submitting as: Bad Boys at Bat Mitzvahs, Fitzroy

Post by BBABM »

I live a few hours from DC, and though I have not submitted anything for some time, I would love to meet up and play a few tunes.. It's been too long. If its in DC I'll be there.
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs

Post by HeuristicsInc »

oops, i thought i'd posted here but... maybe not. i love the idea of having it in dc. i don't live too far from there myself. go jb!
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
jimtyrrell
Mr. Beast
Instruments: Guitar/bass/keys
Recording Method: Various. Mostly Garageband these days, actually.
Submitting as: Jim Tyrrell

Post by jimtyrrell »

Summer is busy for me, but DC is a possibility. I might be able to put another New England Songfighter or two in the van as well.
JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

Lunkhead wrote:I think there may have been some rumbling about D.C. also ... ?
jb wrote:I now live in Washington DC and would be interested in possibly hosting this year, if there is interest. I believe the East Coast is due, and it certainly can't be said that there's nothing to do here. ;)
JB
Niveous wrote:If it's happening in DC, I'm definitely in.
fluffy wrote:DC's ai'ght.
Caravan Ray wrote:Songfight Washington: DC & JB
Albatross wrote:Songfight DC: Shysters and Hipsters
Songfight DC: Lincoln and Drinkin'
Songfight DC: Votes and Notes
Songfight DC: Ba-Rock O'Rama!
jack wrote:"Deep Throats and Flat Notes"
the idiot king wrote:if in DC, i'd be game to come out of hibernation. my sister lives about an hour outside, it'd be good to have an excuse to go down and visit.
HeuristicsInc wrote:oops, i thought i'd posted here but... maybe not. i love the idea of having it in dc. i don't live too far from there myself. go jb!
jimtyrrell wrote:Summer is busy for me, but DC is a possibility. I might be able to put another New England Songfighter or two in the van as well.
This feels an awful lot like a consensus to me. JB, you wanna call it and get the ball rolling?

Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

JB is currently enjoying the wonders of the land of the kiwis, so he may not be around but i think it's safe to say that the majority wants to do DC.
"I'd like to see 1984 redubbed with this in the soundtrack."- Furrypedro.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Holly Furlone
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Submitting as: Holly Furlone

Post by Holly Furlone »

jimtyrrell wrote:Summer is busy for me, but DC is a possibility. I might be able to put another New England Songfighter or two in the van as well.
Jim, I'm totally calling 'shotgun.'
Caravan Ray
bono
bono

Post by Caravan Ray »

Generic wrote: This feels an awful lot like a consensus to me. JB, you wanna call it and get the ball rolling?
There still should be a vote.

Looks like it's between:

1. Washington DC
2. Toowoomba

Toowoomba has a couple of great venues that I play at regularly that would be perfect. And it is a town full of religious fundamentalists and gun-toting rednecks - so that should ease the culture shock for US visitors.

I vote for Washington.
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

Okay so now that we have narrowed down the selection to two cities, what about dates? I'll be attending a family gathering from July 2 - 8, so that week is perfect for SFLive if you want me to miss two years in a row due to unbreakable family commitments.
Tyler Zahnke
bono
bono
Instruments: keyboard and vocals
Recording Method: Audacity and the internal mic on my laptop
Submitting as: Tyler Zahnke

Post by Tyler Zahnke »

Aw man, I wish I had a way to get to Washington, D.C. I've been wanting to go there all my life, and if a musical event like Song Fight Live is going on there, that would be wonderful. But I'm wondering what the best way to get there from West Michigan is! I was thinking of late July to early August.
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

Tyler Zahnke wrote:Aw man, I wish I had a way to get to Washington, D.C. I've been wanting to go there all my life, and if a musical event like Song Fight Live is going on there, that would be wonderful. But I'm wondering what the best way to get there from West Michigan is! I was thinking of late July to early August.
I'm sure someone will think of something