JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Brexit

Post by JonPorobil »

The outcome of yesterday's election surprised me. I know we have at least one active Songfighter based in the U.K., probably others out there who aren't coming to my mind right away. What's your take on the referendum?
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots
Pronouns: he/him

Re: Brexit

Post by Lunkhead »

I'm not super informed about it. My gut reaction is that it doesn't bode well for the UK or the EU or the world. :/ I'd definitely also be curious to hear from a UK resident about it, particularly j$. I don't really know anybody personally outside of Song Fight! who lives in the UK.
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

Too soon, guys, sorry I can't talk about it without welling up in tears or interrupting my desperate plans to find a way out. It's a disaster. I live in London, campaigned for the Labour remain group and my borough voted 79.1% remain. Which makes it all the harder to take that the countryside took this from the cities. Give me a few days, I might be able to be a bit more objective but right now, it's just too fucking depressing. The short answer is I believe a lot of people took this as a vote on austerity without really realising that the EU was at worse a mere symptom of a global problem and have now made it themselves much poorer. Careful what you wish for.

But as I say I am a European, a federalist and pro-immigration, so I am biased. I believe the members of Macaque Attack are also England-based. Maybe they can add their tuppenceworth. I know Andy Balham (a previous songfighter) is as devastated as I am.

j$
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Lunkhead »

j$ wrote:Too soon, guys, sorry I can't talk about it without welling up in tears or interrupting my desperate plans to find a way out. It's a disaster. I live in London, campaigned for the Labour remain group and my borough voted 79.1% remain. Which makes it all the harder to take that the countryside took this from the cities. Give me a few days, I might be able to be a bit more objective but right now, it's just too fucking depressing. The short answer is I believe a lot of people took this as a vote on austerity without really realising that the EU was at worse a mere symptom of a global problem and have now made it themselves much poorer. Careful what you wish for.

But as I say I am a European, a federalist and pro-immigration, so I am biased. I believe the members of Macaque Attack are also England-based. Maybe they can add their tuppenceworth. I know Andy Balham (a previous songfighter) is as devastated as I am.

j$
:( Ugh. Sounds awful. Hang in there!
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

j$ wrote: my borough voted 79.1% remain.
Yeah - I have seen some graphics of voting patters and it is amazing. London and and places like inner city Liverpool, Manchester, Newcastle, Bristol etc...all voting strongly "remain" - but outside these areas, especially in what I imagine are the traditional 'blue-collar' areas I gather there is a slide to the right and UKiP. Seems to have been a very polarising question.

The ascendency of things like UKiP in the UK and Trump in the US does not bode well for our federal election next Saturday.
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

Yup. More proof it's London vs England. And Scotland, Northern Ireland, Liverpool, Manchester Bristol et al. versus England and Wales as well. It's such a fucking shame. I am currently seeing if mainland Europe can stand another wave of refugees ;)

j$
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

I kind of surmised that this would be your reaction, j$. I'm really sorry to hear that. Being an ugly American, I was really unsure about which outcome was the "right" one, and what the implications of "leave" vs "remain" would have been... until I saw the reactions of the general public in social media and the news the day after the election. Particularly this article.

Oh, and someone else shared a collection of Tweets and Facebook posts about a horrible wave of bald-faced racist reactions that Muslims, Polish people, and people of color in the U.K. got over the weekend.

The parallels between UKIP and Trump are startlingly stark. I hope things work out for you, j$.
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
crumpart
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Fuzz
Submitting as: Hot Pink Halo
Pronouns: She/her

Post by crumpart »

Meanwhile, in one of the most perplexing decisions to happen since Brexit, Boris Johnson appoints Australia’s worst ex-PM as trade envoy.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... rade-envoy
Devil’s got me Lindt! Devil’s got me Lindt!
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

crumpart wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:57 pm
Meanwhile, in one of the most perplexing decisions to happen since Brexit, Boris Johnson appoints Australia’s worst ex-PM as trade envoy.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... rade-envoy
Oh well. Shit happens. It will make the housewives of the UK happy as they get on with their ironing.
crumpart
Ice Cream Man

Post by crumpart »

Lol (accompanied by crying).
crumpart
Ice Cream Man

Post by crumpart »

Thanks Brexiters. Fucken thanks, you shitheads.

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/edit ... -1.4530333
Caravan Ray
bono
bono

Post by Caravan Ray »

crumpart wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:08 am

WTF?!? That shit isn’t starting again is it? Where are you Crump? I was in Omagh (my ex wife’s fathers home) and Clare (my great great grandfathers home) in 2010 - the Troubles seemed long gone then...
crumpart
Ice Cream Man

Post by crumpart »

Caravan Ray wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:28 am
crumpart wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:08 am

WTF?!? That shit isn’t starting again is it? Where are you Crump? I was in Omagh (my ex wife’s fathers home) and Clare (my great great grandfathers home) in 2010 - the Troubles seemed long gone then...
All the way down in Cork, thankfully. As far away as possible. Clare is also where my great-great-grandparents came from. There was a fleeting moment in July or August last year where we could travel outside our own county, and we had bought a secondhand mixing console from someone up that way, so drove up and stopped at the tiny town where the old family were from along the way. Got to have a good look through the cemetery, which was pretty interesting.

No big clashes in NI since that last report, thankfully. There's always a bit of an undercurrent fuelled by a small minority; disadvantage playing out as "patriotism". Basically poor, uneducated kids without many prospects acting out, and shitty adults encouraging them. And Arlene Foster (leader of the DUP) is a terrible, terrible leader who continues to make bad decisions and stir up bullshit.