Presidential Prejudices

Go ahead, get it off your chest.

Would you vote for an african american or woman for president of the United States?

Yes, I would vote for either one
88%
No, I would not vote for either one
13%

Total votes: 32
Bjam
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Singin', Guitarin', Mandolinin'

Post by Bjam »

I'd be old enough to vote in '08, but I'm not a citizen. I may be a green card holder by then though! Maybe I'll be able to vote by '12... or '16 :/

I would definitely vote if given the choice though. And I wouldn't care if it was a guy or a girl or a Jew or a Muslim or white or black or whatever.
Songfighter since back in the day.
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Lunkhead »

I would rather vote for Cythia McKinney or Barbara Lee than either Hillary or Obama.
fodroy
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: none
Recording Method: ears
Submitting as: praise muzak

Post by fodroy »

This is going to sound mean, but I probably wouldn't vote for anyone who's retarded. :(
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs

Post by HeuristicsInc »

A friend posted this graphic to his livejournal. I figured it would fit in with this discussion:

The poll still has the problem that someone might not voluntarily identify themselves as prejudiced vs. some groups, but it's interesting to see the rankings between the different groups.
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin

Post by roymond »

Yes on both.

I doubt I'd vote for Hillary since she's an insanely divisive character (her own doing or not, just a fact) and we need people to bring us together not divide us.

I wouldn't vote for Condi Rice since, while obviously an intelligent gal, she's screwed up too many things in her security and state roles.

I think Obama is too inexperienced, but I'm still considering him.

Colin Powel sort of lost his chance and exhibited questionable "anything for our team" activities while working for W. McCain lacks this but is also a bit unfrayed at times. I sort of like that.

The only criteria that freaks me out at face value is a religious one. I will never vote for someone who professes to rely on the word of god in the decision making process. [edited to clarify that I don't hold peoples' faith against them]
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
deshead
Panama

Post by deshead »

bill wrote:it's interesting to see the rankings between the different groups
Why on Earth would an athiest want to run for president? Aren't they too busy killing babies?
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin

Post by roymond »

deshead wrote:Why on Earth would an athiest want to run for president? Aren't they too busy killing babies?
Yes, and coveting our neighbor's spouse. Very busy, indeed.
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
fodroy
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: none
Recording Method: ears
Submitting as: praise muzak

Post by fodroy »

So does this mean that being an Atheist is more taboo than being Homosexual?

I'd like to know what the figures would've been for Agnostics. Or Muslims.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

Excuse me...but I think your Vice President has gotten loose and wandered over into our yard.

Could somebody come and get him please - we don't want to have to call the pound and have him put down
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs

Post by HeuristicsInc »

fodroy wrote: I'd like to know what the figures would've been for Agnostics. Or Muslims.
M said she thought the list of groups was based on who is considered a candidate for Pres. at this time, except for the last two (unless one of you knows a candidate that is one of them) ;)
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
deshead
Panama

Post by deshead »

Dawkins references the poll in The God Delusion, so I don't think it's that recent. Unless it's a do-over.

What makes the U.S. such a great country is that 72 year old, twice-divorced hispanic lesbians can utter the phrase "thank God I'm not an athiest," and have it actually mean something.
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher
Pronouns: Dude or GURRRLLLL!
Location: Charlotte, NC ... A big city on its first day at the new job.

Post by Hoblit »

Caravan Ray wrote:Excuse me...but I think your Vice President has gotten loose and wandered over into our yard.

Could somebody come and get him please - we don't want to have to call the pound and have him put down
While I don't endorse the idea, I would turn my head away and stare at the pretty trees.
mico saudad
Mean Street

Post by mico saudad »

I want to see the polling numbers for:

"<a href="http://news.yahoo.com/photo/070222/480/ ... ncompetent to be president</a>"

</sigh>