Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Re: Question regarding Prop 8

Post by fluffy »

[[citation needed]]

Also, many states recognize common-law marriages, which do not require a license.
stateshirt
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Submitting as: state shirt

Post by stateshirt »

California should protect marriage even further and ban straight divorce.
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher
Pronouns: Dude or GURRRLLLL!
Location: Charlotte, NC ... A big city on its first day at the new job.

Post by Hoblit »

stateshirt wrote:California should protect marriage even further and ban straight divorce.
amen, I mean...you know...to preserve the sanctity it insists that is so precious.
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin
Pronouns: he/him

Post by roymond »

stateshirt wrote:California should protect marriage even further and ban straight divorce.
That's the church's role.
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

So is banning gay marriage.
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
ElaineDiMasi
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: vocals, keys, drums, english horn and er, guitarists
Recording Method: pro tools/digi002, wavelab, the occasional tape recorder
Submitting as: Miss Fancy Pants, Bootlegger Girl, Show Me Your Face, Chiron Return

Post by ElaineDiMasi »

Libertarians think this is an easy one. People can enter into any kind of contract they want. No one else should care whether this is a recognition within their church, a vow of monogamy, or a legal contract specifying what happens to salaries and life insurance. And the government's role in siphoning "everybody's" money into the Agreed Good Causes [tm] is supposed to be obsolete. (Libertarians aren't very realistic.)

Government also does another thing though which is to try to specify who gets to take care of people who can't take care of themselves: children (and severely damaged others). It's a deep-rooted, emotionally charged system that gives blood parents the first crack at it and then figures out what's next from there. The supposedly sanctified "marriage" is the only other status given a comparable position. Conferring marriage confers power: large numbers of people will always try to prevent minority groups from having some of that.

I'm not sure libertarians can come to a logical consensus on the child custody thing. Some people feel they own their child, others probably feel that the child is their own self even before they've come of a reasonable age. Someone else's, kid, I mean. Not their own!

Did you hear about this:
BE IT ENACTED BY THE PEOPLE OF THE STATE OF ARKANSAS:
Section 1: Adoption and foster care of minors.
(a) A minor may not be adopted or placed in a foster home if the individual seeking to adopt or to serve as a foster parent is cohabiting with a sexual partner outside of a marriage which is valid under the constitution and laws of this state.
I saw it in the New York Times and the Daily Kos. It's probably in the Seattle Stranger also. See, it's a gateway to clobbering all kinds of people's family structures, with gays nominally at the head of the line.

Arkansas is not far from Texas. There's a place for solidarity, for sure!
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

Yeah, I don't think anyone was really surprised by the anti-gay developments in Florida and Arkansas, but California is generally regarded as the "gay part" of the country (with San Francisco being its capitol).
ElaineDiMasi
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: vocals, keys, drums, english horn and er, guitarists
Recording Method: pro tools/digi002, wavelab, the occasional tape recorder
Submitting as: Miss Fancy Pants, Bootlegger Girl, Show Me Your Face, Chiron Return

Post by ElaineDiMasi »

Which is why people panic everywhere - the bellwether's going down!
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher

Post by Hoblit »

fluffy wrote:Yeah, I don't think anyone was really surprised by the anti-gay developments in Florida and Arkansas, but California is generally regarded as the "gay part" of the country (with San Francisco being its capitol).
While there is no way I can argue with the impression that California offers in the way of alternative lifestyles, I hesitate to believe that this state (Florida, with Jacksonville, Miami, and Tampa as well as the college town of Gainsville...)has any likeness to Arkansas on the same subject.

Its pretty progressive here in Tampa.
slats
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: guitar, bass, and a midi assortment
Recording Method: Logic Express 8 < MacBookPro < Apogee Duet
Submitting as: Slats - until I come up with something better

Post by slats »

Hoblit wrote:Its pretty progressive here in Tampa.
I understand it's the strip club capitol of the US. Not sure how that type of commerce dovetails with gay rights, though.
Reist
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Drums, Guitar
Recording Method: Yamaha AW1600, Reaper
Submitting as: Therman

Post by Reist »

Hoblit wrote:
fluffy wrote:Yeah, I don't think anyone was really surprised by the anti-gay developments in Florida and Arkansas, but California is generally regarded as the "gay part" of the country (with San Francisco being its capitol).
While there is no way I can argue with the impression that California offers in the way of alternative lifestyles, I hesitate to believe that this state (Florida, with Jacksonville, Miami, and Tampa as well as the college town of Gainsville...)has any likeness to Arkansas on the same subject.

I thought Florida was mostly full of grumpy old people.
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher

Post by Hoblit »

Reïst wrote:
Hoblit wrote:

*Hoblit shakes cane

You really think so eh? Maybe you should get back to your deer and mushroom hunting, smoke your lawless weed, and drink some Moosehead you hoser. Poutine anyone?

:P
Reist
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Drums, Guitar
Recording Method: Yamaha AW1600, Reaper
Submitting as: Therman

Post by Reist »

Hoblit wrote:
Reïst wrote:
Hoblit wrote:Its pretty progressive here in Tampa.
*Hoblit shakes cane

You really think so eh? Maybe you should get back to your deer and mushroom hunting, smoke your lawless weed, and drink some Moosehead you hoser. Poutine anyone?

:P
Haha, I hate to sound like a walking stereotype, but you're pretty much dead on. Except for deer. I'm no hunter.

ps - poutine kicks ass. :P
BabylonHoruv
A New Player
Instruments: Drums, vocals, production
Recording Method: Soundforge, Acid, Fruity Loops
Submitting as: Babylon Horuv

Post by BabylonHoruv »

erik wrote:
Lord of Oats wrote:Churches should issue marriages and governments should issue civil union/domestic partnerships.
Seperate but equal is never equal. All the rights and shit are great, but people want to be marrrrried. No one wants to hear someone go down on one knee and say "Will you unite with me civilly?" or "Will you form a domestic partnership with me?" People want to be married. Calling it anything other than marriage implies that it is in some way different from marriage, and people don't want different. Everyone has an idea of what marriage is and what it implies. Civil unions/domestic partnerships sound so bland, cold and formal. If I was not legally allowed to marry a person that I was in love with, being able to form a civil union with her wouldn't make me feel all that great.

Currently anyone who wants to is allowed to marry anyone else they want to in the eyes of God (or Goddess, or Gods, or whatever)

It's marriage in the eyes of the state that is being restricted. I have been to a gay marriage, it was performed by a minister and in the eyes of the religion they follow they are married, as well as in the eyes of their community and family. Never mind that Oregon, where it occured, does not license unions between two people of the same gender. That doesn't much matter as far as the romantic hearts and flowers "I wanna be married" side of thing goes. It does matter when it comes to legal rights like hospital visitation, inheritance, mutual property, adoption of children, etc.

The sugestion I saw was to extend civil unions to straights, and get rid of "legal marriage" entirely. Not a bad idea, if it makes the religious whack jobs shut up. The only problem is I don't think it will.