Monkey Men vs. Bible Thumpers (Evolution vs. Creationism)

Go ahead, get it off your chest.
thehipcola
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: The things what make sounds.
Recording Method: LA610mk2 into UAD Apollo 8p into Cubase/LUNA/Reaper/Ableton/Reason/Maschine
Submitting as: thehipcolaredcargertFlamingTigershotpounderOGLawnDartsFussyBritchesGapingMaw

Post by thehipcola »

i'm not sure who that insults more..me or him? :lol:
Leaf
Jump
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, vocals.
Recording Method: Cubase
Submitting as: Leaf 62, Gert, Boon Liver, Leaf and Twig, Tom Skillman, A bunch of other stuff.

Post by Leaf »

Who the fuck is Tom?
sparks
Push Comes to Shove

Post by sparks »

:P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

http://www.movie-poster.ws/movies/wallp ... h/yugi.jpg

[19:15] <obscurity> sparks: So just don't read it dude.
[19:16] <sparks> obs: that is totally not the way it works
[19:16] <sparks> gosh

This is an inappropriate Nevada-style intrusion, and I am counting down the hours until someone removes it and yells at me. Still, I feel it necessary at this point in the thread. Have your way with me.

EDIT: I feel like being nice. Just pretend it's there, and understand my sentiment.
Last edited by sparks on Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(It's ASL for "cow".)
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

Uhmmm, quoting from IRC is bad form, man ... :P

By the by, I also think we should be given back : P and move the nevada emoticon to replace 'roll eyes' - to me, : P is playful teasing, and nevada is more 'shut the fuck up already' ... but I remember less-than-fondly the days of enormo pictures fucking my dial-up connection, so maybe it's just me ... : P
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin
Pronouns: he/him

Post by roymond »

911 operator: calm down and just try and describe what's happening

J$: it's...enormo pictures fucking my dial-up connection, man...arghhhhh!!!!

911: sir...sir...are you there?

J$: N---E-E-E-E-E---V---A-A-A-A---D---A-A-A-A-A-A-A

vox: Your call cannot go through as dialed. Please hang up and try again. If you need help, hang up and dial 0, or stay on the line...Your call cannot go through as dialed. Please hang up and try again. If you need help...
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
deshead
Panama

Post by deshead »

http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/12/20/intel ... index.html

What must it feel like to be told by a judge that you're breathtakingly inane?
mico saudad
Mean Street

Post by mico saudad »

Probably about the same as it felt to be voted out of office en bloc.

It took me hours and hours but I read through all of the transcripts of this court case - "breathtaking inanity" is an understatement.
Last edited by mico saudad on Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anti-m
Ice Cream Man
Submitting as: Anti-m, Jeplexe

What thread on "intelligent design...."

Post by anti-m »

....would be complete without a link to the church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster??

(Apologies if someone already linked here... I didn't exactly rake through the previous posts with a fine-toothed comb before foolishly posting)

http://www.venganza.org/

Creationism! Pirate costumes! Global Warming! "His Noodly Appendage!"

Amen.
boltoph
Panama
Submitting as: Gert

Re: What thread on "intelligent design...."

Post by boltoph »

anti-m wrote:....the church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster??
His day is coming!

Monkey-men, all the way...
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

i thought this was a pretty fascinating interview with francis collins, founder of the human genome project and hardcore atheist-turned christian.
Hi!
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin

Post by roymond »

jack wrote:i thought this was a pretty fascinating interview with francis collins, founder of the human genome project and hardcore atheist-turned christian.
He's a man of pretty convenient faith. Seems he'll take whatever fits his view of the world ("oh, only the obvious is literal, the rest is allegory"). I respect his approach and all, but I don't get how spiritual existence need be separate from nature? Is it not natural to have such spiritual experiences? The super-natural is a label we apply to things we can't grasp. But it is a natural phenomenon. Why does it need to be excused from rational understanding, and given a free pass, thereby justifying "faith based" existence? I don't see why we can't one day achieve significant understanding of spiritual concepts, just as we now understand the human genome (or some of us, anyway).
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

roymond wrote:
jack wrote:i thought this was a pretty fascinating interview with francis collins, founder of the human genome project and hardcore atheist-turned christian.
He's a man of pretty convenient faith. Seems he'll take whatever fits his view of the world ("oh, only the obvious is literal, the rest is allegory"). I respect his approach and all, but I don't get how spiritual existence need be separate from nature? Is it not natural to have such spiritual experiences? The super-natural is a label we apply to things we can't grasp. But it is a natural phenomenon. Why does it need to be excused from rational understanding, and given a free pass, thereby justifying "faith based" existence? I don't see why we can't one day achieve significant understanding of spiritual concepts, just as we now understand the human genome (or some of us, anyway).
while neither advocating or condoning his position, i just thought it was interesting to see how a completely scientific mind comes to accept something so unscientific as religion. pretty convenient faith maybe but i'd say that's true of most of us. i 'd consider faith to be pretty personal and unconventional and as far as i'm concerned fitting of my view of the world, the only one i know. i personally think the bible is a combination of observation and allegory, or fact and fiction if you like, considering the 4 gospels are written from interpretations from 4 different people after the fact. i thought the point he made about humans having this inate sense of right and wrong and wanting to do the right thing, including sacrificing their own life (and their species ability to propagate) has no scientific reasoning in fact.

maybe someday an explanation will be found for this too. at least you seem to have faith that it might happen :)
Hi!
Adam!
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Drum 'n' Bass (but not THAT Drum 'n' Bass)
Recording Method: Reaper + Stock Plugins
Submitting as: Max Bombast

Post by Adam! »

Dr. Francis S. Collins wrote:..."Mere Christianity" by C.S. Lewis. Lewis had been an atheist [and] set out as I did to convince himself of the correctness of his position and accidentally converted himself. I took the book home, and in the first few pages realized that all of my arguments in favor of atheism were quickly reduced to rubble by the simple logic of this clear-thinking Oxford scholar.
The trouble with "Mere Christianity" is it assumes the reader (or listener) believes in the existence of a universal set of ethics. If you don't, the rest of the essays will not do much for you.

And sadly, in trying to prove a universal ethical standard exists he falls for the good ol' argumentum ad nazium:
C. S. Lewis wrote:If no set of moral ideas were truer or better than any other, there would be no sense in preferring civilised morality to savage morality, or Christian morality to Nazi morality. In fact, of course, we all do believe that some moralities are better than others.
Sober
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Mandolin, hammond, dobro, banjo
Recording Method: Pro Tools

Post by Sober »

This week's Southpark was pretty great, tbc wednesday.

Direct link to entire episode

God I love TV Links.

Perfect episode for this discussion.
🤠