28/9/16 Where are you?

Complain about your schedule. Apparently people like that sort of thing.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

28/9/16 Where are you?

Post by Caravan Ray »

I am in Thargomindah. A tiny town on the edge of the Simpson Desert in far west Queensland.

I am bored as buggery - hence, I started a pointless thread.

Or is it.....

Have YOU ever been forced to go/live/be somewhere so remote it hurts?

I am actually used to it. I lived for 2 years on an atoll in the central Pacific. 2 years in Mt Isa - a remote mining town. And now, I am finishing a 6 month contract in Thargo.

Anyone else in Songfight land been to hell and back?

(Jondaryan doesn't count Pepper Jane)
rone rivendale
Odie
Instruments: Electronica, nothing real
Recording Method: Fruity Loops, Goldwave
Submitting as: Rone Rivendale
Pronouns: he/him

Re: 28/9/16 Where are you?

Post by rone rivendale »

I'm in my house, laying on my bed.

Non-Smartass answer: I live in Kansas, in the US. And I've never lived or even visited outside the US. I've lived in pretty small towns mostly but never out in the boonies.
From spoken word to actual singing, I can screw up any style with style. :D
pegor
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: stratocaster
Recording Method: blaming the equipment

Post by pegor »

Way back in the late '80s I spent some time helping a friend work on a piece of undeveloped property in Alaska. I spent a lot of time whining about the mosquitos and other assorted bugs that were eating me. Making the 2 hour drive to the grocery store was a big exciting day. btw the town with the grocery store is Sarah Palin's home town. I wonder if I ever walked by her, she is about my age. sorta like the hitler as a baby question - or is it the stepping on a butterfly thing? Anyway my lack of game might be the reason John Mcain didn't get elected - you're welcome
PepperJane
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Voice. Followed by piano or guitar
Recording Method: Crustacean
Submitting as: PepperJane

Post by PepperJane »

I am currently IN Jondaryan after a delightful tour of the Northern Territory's central and eastern highways, and driving back from Mt Isa, 200km east of the Queensland/NT border overnight on Sunday... (By the time I had reached Brisbane 28 hours later I estimate I had driven for 22 of those). However, I wouldn't call any of these hell and back.

I moved to Narrabri for about 9 months in northern New South Wales in 2010, but the person I didn't want to follow me followed me so I moved back anyway and continued living in a different kind of hell, in what was apparently a great house by modern convention, and a fine enough location (Meringandan) for a couple more years.

Now: I live wherever I am, and rejoice about it, but I guess I'm lucky enough that it's all on my own terms.
Let's collaborate and help you get this bother out of your chemistry and spirit. The process of my Young Blood entry sure felt like I was peeling that from my bones, though the final submission wasn't the intended words (in the verses) because it was spontaneously recorded.
My Super Creepy is a silly episode, so I have some serious space available for you if you like
Everything is about perspective. :shock:
Chumpy
Twilight Sparkle
Instruments: Vocals, guitar, bass
Recording Method: Logic
Submitting as: Jerkatorium, Chumpy

Post by Chumpy »

I'm here in my closet. With my desk, a couple of mics, computers and guitars, my chair, and some 3M sound deadening panels. The walls are beige, there is some junk on shelves up above. The closet gets hot when my computer gets hot, which is often since I have teensy-tiny audio buffers. Size matters. One day I hope to have a proper home studio.
"I don't recommend ending on a bad joke." --ken
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

I'm either at home or at work, mostly. The closest I've come to the living in the middle of nowhere is living in Cleveland OH for five years, the first four of them in university/college.

rone rivendale
Odie
Instruments: Electronica, nothing real
Recording Method: Fruity Loops, Goldwave
Submitting as: Rone Rivendale

Post by rone rivendale »

lol Lunkhead, that's savage.
From spoken word to actual singing, I can screw up any style with style. :D
fodroy
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: none
Recording Method: ears
Submitting as: praise muzak

Post by fodroy »

Some friends of mine just moved to Alice Springs in the Northern Territory. I don't know anything about it, but they said it's the Australian equivalent of moving to Alaska. At least that was the word of a couple Americans who had yet to set foot in the place.

Anyway, I live in Athens, Georgia, maybe the only town in Georgia I would choose to live in, and I'm choosing to stay here. Right now, I'm sitting in my living room, surrounded by packed up boxes as I prepare to move across town next weekend. I'm hoping to play the Songfight game again once we've unpacked enough.
PepperJane
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by PepperJane »

Awwww it's always so looooonely on here when you Yankees are asleeeeeep.

fodroy I'm gonna come and play a song I wrote a couple of years ago called 'Georgia Boy' (it's a short an unimportant story) in Ocilla, sometime
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin

Post by roymond »

I love the extremes of urban and remote environs. I dislike suburbia. Although a fourth generation NYer, summers during most of the first 16 years of my life were spent exploring the nooks and crannies of North America with my dad. We avoided cities, visited every state but Hawaii by car, and tented in national parks for the most part. Quite a few backpacking and canoe trips along the way went longer than two weeks, in remote stretches of the Yukon, Saskatchewan, Alberta, Alaska, Minnesota and Maine. Often we'd see nobody else during that time.

It was sublime. But living in such places? I don't think I'd last very long.
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

Currently working in NW New South Wales. Spent a night in Walgett, the town where my mother was born. Very depressing. Almost every window in town has bars or is boarded up. My motel was surrounded by a 6 foot security fence that is locked at night to form a secure compound. Terrible poverty, unemployment and drug problems.

Not quite the 'outback' that Crocodile Dundee showed us all.
PepperJane
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by PepperJane »

Just landed in Tasmania. Quarantine took my chillies :-(

Volunteering at Bruny Island Bird Festival and no idea how I'm getting all the way there, or when/how I'll get one of my Race to the Bottom tracks done. Will do a little busking too.

I keep forgetting to make a general announcement that I'm coming to LA and good chance I'll get as far as Seattle, Oct 26-Nov 10. Keen to play open mics, parks, markets, jam...
Caravan Ray
bono
bono

Post by Caravan Ray »

Wow! Still globe-trotting!

When will you be back in T-Ba?
PepperJane
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by PepperJane »

Usually any time you're not :-p Nov 11 or 12! For a week or so, then Melbourne.