04/05/2017 I bought a mandoloncello.

Complain about your schedule. Apparently people like that sort of thing.
noma
Mean Street
Instruments: Guitar, programming, various other stuff
Recording Method: Audacity
Submitting as: Nick Soma

04/05/2017 I bought a mandoloncello.

Post by noma »

Hey guys! As the title of this thread reads, I bought a mandoloncello, or mandocello for short. Music nerds probably know about this one already, though it is very rarely ever used; for everyone else, think violin - viola - (violon)cello - double bass. Analogous to that, the mandolin family has mandolin, mandola, mandoloncello, and mandobass. The latter, to my knowledge, is not produced by anyone anymore. You can find examples of mandobass playing on Youtube though. It's very similar to a double bass or bass guitar, but... quite impractical.
Mandocello, unlike mandobass, has double courses like the more familiar instruments in the mando family, and is tuned an octave below the mandola (CGDA, like a cello). The sound is very rich and beautiful. Unfortunately, this instrument is not only hard to find, but also very expensive. Since last year or so though, Thomann, Europe's largest online retailer of musical instruments, have been selling their own store brand mandocello for 470 euros, which equals 500 U.S. dollars. This is really inexpensive for a mandocello, especially one actually made in Europe. I immediately knew I had to buy it when I first saw it in their catalog. :D
So, it arrived some days ago and I am very pleased with the sound. Will upload some samples later.

Some photos:
mandocello.JPG
mandocello.JPG (385.42 KiB) Viewed 4344 times
snail atop mandocello.JPG
snail atop mandocello.JPG (460.38 KiB) Viewed 4344 times
Snail was added in order to give an impression of the instrument's actual size. I picked him up from the roadside yesterday. He's a happy little guy. Last night he pooped three times within half an hour.

BTW - what is the most unusual instrument you own, or have ever played? :)
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff
Pronouns: he/him

Re: 04/05/2017 I bought a mandoloncello.

Post by ken »

I had an Optigan for a while. I couldn't believe it when I saw it in the thrift store.

http://www.synthmuseum.com/opt/opt3500201.html
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
Chumpy
Twilight Sparkle
Instruments: Vocals, guitar, bass
Recording Method: Logic
Submitting as: Jerkatorium, Chumpy

Post by Chumpy »

Nice pictures noma, but we gotta hear it! Post some audio of what it sounds like plz, perhaps something medieval sounding.
"I don't recommend ending on a bad joke." --ken
noma
Mean Street

Post by noma »

I recorded two improvised demos to showcase some different styles that sound cool on the mandocello. The first demo uses only the three top courses of the instrument; the second one, only the bottom two.
The strings on this instrument are nowhere as tense as those of, for example, mandolins or 12-string guitars. It's very comfortable to play, but the strings are easy to accidentally bend, which you can hear in the second MP3. (Or perhaps I just suck at placing my fingers precisely. :lol: )

By the way, these recordings were left fairly untreated, save for a little compression. The reverb you hear comes from within the instrument's body.
Attachments
mandocello01.mp3
(3.44 MiB) Downloaded 110 times
mandocello02.mp3
(2.13 MiB) Downloaded 104 times
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

Oh man I've been looking for an affordable mandocello for years. Where did you end up finding it, and how much did it cost if you don't mind my asking?

I think my most obscure instrument is the SIDstation, or maybe the Yamaha TX7 (a less-known rackmount version of the venerable DX7). I also just built myself a Sawbench, and have an unassembled ST4 kit waiting for some love (but honestly I don't know where I'm going to fit it, the rackmount case is way bigger than I expected and I still don't have a rack for all my years of talking about getting one).
Chumpy
Twilight Sparkle
Instruments: Vocals, guitar, bass
Recording Method: Logic
Submitting as: Jerkatorium, Chumpy

Post by Chumpy »

Sounds great Noma, I really dig it. I thought both recordings were actually quite listenable on their own, not bad!
"I don't recommend ending on a bad joke." --ken
noma
Mean Street

Post by noma »

fluffy wrote:Oh man I've been looking for an affordable mandocello for years. Where did you end up finding it, and how much did it cost if you don't mind my asking?
I think I mentioned it before, but never mind ;) I found it in Thomann's online store. Thomann is a large German online musical instruments retailer. They sell a number of house brands, including the Thomann brand itself, which are usually inexpensive. My mandocello cost 470 euros, which equals 500 dollars; it's only 420 dollars for U.S. customers though (just looked it up).
For some strange reasons, Thomann sells two different versios of the instrument, "standard" and "C tuning". The cheaper "standard" version is in GDAE tuning, which makes it an octave mandolin rather than a mandocello. If you want that sound, I definitely recommend you go for an Irish bouzouki though. :)
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

ken wrote:I had an Optigan for a while. I couldn't believe it when I saw it in the thrift store.

http://www.synthmuseum.com/opt/opt3500201.html
OMG JEALOUS

here are a bunch more instruments that I've been obsessed with having at some point:
  • Optigan
  • Hurdy-Gurdy
  • Autoharp
  • A decent singing voice
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

noma wrote:
fluffy wrote:Oh man I've been looking for an affordable mandocello for years. Where did you end up finding it, and how much did it cost if you don't mind my asking?
I think I mentioned it before, but never mind ;)
Oh, so you did, I was just too excited by the mandocello to actually read your whole post!
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

I love the tone of that thing. What a great instrument.
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang
noma
Mean Street

Post by noma »

Chumpy wrote:Sounds great Noma, I really dig it. I thought both recordings were actually quite listenable on their own, not bad!
Pigfarmer Jr wrote:I love the tone of that thing. What a great instrument.
Thanks! British '60s/'70s folk (and sometimes, rock, blues, jazz, etc. etc.) singer-songwriters and gifted guitarists, Richard Chapman and Nick Drake, who both loved unusual guitar tunings, influenced my style here. In fact, those two guys were the ones who inspired me to experiment with different tunings on guitar, Open D especially, and with mandolins, bouzouki and so on, in the first place. :)

I like quirky instruments. I used to own a Stylophone, but it's broken now. Might just buy a new one someday, as the "new" Stylo is like super cheap.
I am also the proud (?) owner of a Suzuki Andes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaNLBSuU9pk
noma
Mean Street

Post by noma »

fluffy wrote: here are a bunch more instruments that I've been obsessed with having at some point:
  • (...)
  • Autoharp
  • (...)
I actually have an old autoharp sitting around somewhere. It belonged to someone's grandpa and it needs to get cleaned, as well as new strings. As I have to take off all the strings anyway, I plan on doing some reassembling, particularly in replacing two of the chord bars with Bm and F#m, which is more useful for me. Will open a separate thread on this once the new strings and chord bars have arrived in the mail. :)
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

noma wrote:I am also the proud (?) owner of a Suzuki Andes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaNLBSuU9pk
Oh man. That instrument is so cool! I had never even heard of that before. Amazing. Also, that video is great, and that presenter guy is also super awesome. Thanks for sharing that. /me goes to look for an Andes...
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin

Post by roymond »

I have an electric kazoo, a palm pick-up, a cute mouth harp I bought from a Red Dzao girl in Vietnam. Maybe I need to record a song with just these items.
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
MicahSommer
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Voice, accordion, keyboards, guitar, euphonium
Recording Method: StudioOne Artist / AudioBox USB
Submitting as: Micah Sommersmith, All The Robots
Pronouns: they/them or he/him

Post by MicahSommer »

The weirdest instrument I own is my accordion... and also my three other accordions.
"you did a skillful job pulling off the sexy" - RangerDenni
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

I got a sitar from India.

But it needs new strings - and that all seems a bit too difficult
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

On my phone, the thread title reads "04/05/2017 I bought a man ...."

i always had my suspicions :)