9/2/2015 - What's your least favorite music genre?

Complain about your schedule. Apparently people like that sort of thing.

Moderator: Mods

User avatar
Chumpy
Twilight Sparkle
Posts: 514
Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:06 pm
Instruments: Vocals, guitar
Recording Method: Logic
Submitting as: Jerkatorium
Location: Seattle, WA
Contact:

9/2/2015 - What's your least favorite music genre?

Postby Chumpy » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:52 am

What's your least favorite music genre?

I thought of this this morning as I was browsing the id3v2 genres. It's a crying shame that Christan Gangsta Rap is a valid genre but Nerdcore isn't.
"Nice and quirky. Like the lyrics, but Is this arty enough for Songfight?" --Spud
User avatar
Rone Rivendale
Odie
Posts: 1636
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2005 9:51 pm
Instruments: Computer and Electric Guitar
Recording Method: Fruity Loops, Goldwave
Submitting as: Rone Rivendale
Location: Kansas, USA
Contact:

Re: 9/2/2015 - What's your least favorite music genre?

Postby Rone Rivendale » Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:26 pm

Country. It should be a crime. :P
User avatar
glennny
Hachikō
Posts: 1855
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2006 2:39 am
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Mandolin, Dobro, Banjo, E-Bow, Glock
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene
Location: Castro Valley, California

Re: 9/2/2015 - What's your least favorite music genre?

Postby glennny » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:15 pm

Anything produced by Bob Rock.
Phillipso, Older Brothers, Semolina Pilchards, Zipline , Thank Glennny for the Frisbee, The Odoriferous Valley, The Worldly Self Assurance, Berkeley Social Scene, Very Gentle Knives, Daddy Bop Swing Set, GUNS, The Kraken Lives, Cavedwellers
User avatar
tuuur
Flash
Posts: 107
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:21 am
Instruments: bass, guitar, keys, drums
Recording Method: Mac, Garageband, Behringer 2ch line mixer
Submitting as: tuuur

Re: 9/2/2015 - What's your least favorite music genre?

Postby tuuur » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:57 pm

Jazz.

User avatar
Chumpy
Twilight Sparkle
Posts: 514
Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:06 pm
Instruments: Vocals, guitar
Recording Method: Logic
Submitting as: Jerkatorium
Location: Seattle, WA
Contact:

Re: 9/2/2015 - What's your least favorite music genre?

Postby Chumpy » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:39 pm

For me it's, World Music. Inaccessible folky caterwauling in a language I do not understand. Western music or GTFO.
"Nice and quirky. Like the lyrics, but Is this arty enough for Songfight?" --Spud
j$
Owney
Posts: 5092
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 11:33 am
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint
Location: London, Engerllaaannnddd
Contact:

Re: 9/2/2015 - What's your least favorite music genre?

Postby j$ » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:54 pm

With no offense intended, there are no bad genres - just bad popular examples of such. In fact, I could spend an evening arguing the very phrase 'genre' is meaningless. Is 'Punk' really an umbrella that comfortably covers both, say, Devo and Fall Out Boy? Does 'jazz' really have room for, say, both Miles Davis and Dixieland? Anyway, yes, what I said earlier...
Lester Bangs is still dead.
User avatar
fluffy
Boo
Posts: 9438
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 10:56 am
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Location: The Plaidlands (also, Seattle)
Contact:

Re: 9/2/2015 - What's your least favorite music genre?

Postby fluffy » Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:10 pm

Death metal/grindcore/stuff that's just a bunch of screaming on top of atonal incomprehensible noise. I can get into pretty much everything else. (Including stuff that's just atonal incomprehensible noise.)
User avatar
Manhattan Glutton
Hachikō
Posts: 1521
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2005 12:10 pm
Instruments: Angst
Recording Method: REAPER
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: 9/2/2015 - What's your least favorite music genre?

Postby Manhattan Glutton » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:56 pm

Music I haven't discovered myself. "Hey you should check out this band" is the worst way to get me into something.
User avatar
fluffy
Boo
Posts: 9438
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 10:56 am
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Location: The Plaidlands (also, Seattle)
Contact:

Re: 9/2/2015 - What's your least favorite music genre?

Postby fluffy » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:20 pm

Chumpy wrote:What's your least favorite music genre?

I thought of this this morning as I was browsing the id3v2 genres. It's a crying shame that Christan Gangsta Rap is a valid genre but Nerdcore isn't.

FWIW, those are actually id3v1 genera, and the list was basically written by a single person back in 1996, and he ran out of ideas for actual legitimate genera and decided to just start making shit up like halfway through. Then WinAmp extended the list further, by making even more shit up. Nerdcore didn't exist at the time.

id3v2's genre tag is a freeform text string and you can make it say literally whatever you want.
User avatar
user
Rin-Tin-Tin
Posts: 287
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:43 am

Re: 9/2/2015 - What's your least favorite music genre?

Postby user » Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:17 am

Modern pop country. Not classic country like Highwaymen and Dolly Parton, I love that shit. The Luke Bryan type of thing. Haven't heard of him? Good for you. My animosity probably stems from the fact that I'm surrounded by this nonsense on a daily basis, because I live in rural Alabama.

BUT. Somebody taught me an interesting little self-hacking trick. One day when you're feeling like a challenge, pick a radio station that you hate, the worst station you can find, whether it's country or easy listening or senile preachers, and listen to it all day, for every minute that you have the chance to listen. You may still hate it, but your horizons will be expanded, and you may just find yourself more at peace with the world.
User avatar
Caravan Ray
Dingleberry
Posts: 8082
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 1:51 pm
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry
Location: Toowoomba, Queensland
Contact:

Re: 9/2/2015 - What's your least favorite music genre?

Postby Caravan Ray » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:01 am

What is Matchbox 20 and Nickelback? Is that a genre? Hate fucking bland shit.
User avatar
Caravan Ray
Dingleberry
Posts: 8082
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 1:51 pm
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry
Location: Toowoomba, Queensland
Contact:

Re: 9/2/2015 - What's your least favorite music genre?

Postby Caravan Ray » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:03 am

j$ wrote:With no offense intended, there are no bad genres - just bad popular examples of such. In fact, I could spend an evening arguing the very phrase 'genre' is meaningless. Is 'Punk' really an umbrella that comfortably covers both, say, Devo and Fall Out Boy? Does 'jazz' really have room for, say, both Miles Davis and Dixieland? Anyway, yes, what I said earlier...

Nailed it
User avatar
Niveous
Owney
Posts: 6646
Joined: Mon Sep 27, 2004 6:45 am
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, acoustic guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Location: Sunnyside, NY
Contact:

Re: 9/2/2015 - What's your least favorite music genre?

Postby Niveous » Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:24 am

Caravan Ray wrote:
j$ wrote:With no offense intended, there are no bad genres - just bad popular examples of such. In fact, I could spend an evening arguing the very phrase 'genre' is meaningless. Is 'Punk' really an umbrella that comfortably covers both, say, Devo and Fall Out Boy? Does 'jazz' really have room for, say, both Miles Davis and Dixieland? Anyway, yes, what I said earlier...

Nailed it

Seconded.
"I'd like to see 1984 redubbed with this in the soundtrack."- Furrypedro.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
User avatar
HeuristicsInc
Owney
Posts: 5226
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 6:14 pm
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs
Location: Maryland USA
Contact:

Re: 9/2/2015 - What's your least favorite music genre?

Postby HeuristicsInc » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:15 am

Yeah j$!
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
User avatar
Chumpy
Twilight Sparkle
Posts: 514
Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:06 pm
Instruments: Vocals, guitar
Recording Method: Logic
Submitting as: Jerkatorium
Location: Seattle, WA
Contact:

Re: 9/2/2015 - What's your least favorite music genre?

Postby Chumpy » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:25 am

fluffy wrote:FWIW, those are actually id3v1 genera, and the list was basically written by a single person back in 1996, and he ran out of ideas for actual legitimate genera and decided to just start making shit up like halfway through. Then WinAmp extended the list further, by making even more shit up. Nerdcore didn't exist at the time.

id3v2's genre tag is a freeform text string and you can make it say literally whatever you want.
That is good to know. I'll see if I can get the id3v2 linux binary to write an arbitrary genre. It really did seem like some of those genres were colonically extruded.

While it's likely true that there are no bad genres per-se, it's interesting to learn what genres people have strong feelings about and why. When people sing songs about Science Fiction using folk instrumentation it's called Filk, and I hate it. When people rap songs about Science Fiction over turntable riffs, it's called Nerdcore and I love it. Weird.
"Nice and quirky. Like the lyrics, but Is this arty enough for Songfight?" --Spud
User avatar
fluffy
Boo
Posts: 9438
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 10:56 am
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Location: The Plaidlands (also, Seattle)
Contact:

Re: 9/2/2015 - What's your least favorite music genre?

Postby fluffy » Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:32 pm

Use --TCON. If it's in the list of id3v1 it'll also map it to an id3v1 type, otherwise it'll set it to 255 (other/unknown).
User avatar
Chumpy
Twilight Sparkle
Posts: 514
Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:06 pm
Instruments: Vocals, guitar
Recording Method: Logic
Submitting as: Jerkatorium
Location: Seattle, WA
Contact:

Re: 9/2/2015 - What's your least favorite music genre?

Postby Chumpy » Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:23 pm

fluffy wrote:Use --TCON. If it's in the list of id3v1 it'll also map it to an id3v1 type, otherwise it'll set it to 255 (other/unknown).
Thanks! That totally worked for me, and my custom genre displays properly in iTunes, and the tags are all the way I want them.

Code: Select all

id3v2 tag info for johndisk0.mp3:
TPE1 (Lead performer(s)/Soloist(s)): The Chumpy Wumpikins Experience
TALB (Album/Movie/Show title): Are you Chumpy?
TRCK (Track number/Position in set): 1
TIT2 (Title/songname/content description): Where did you go?
TYER (Year): 2015
TCON (Content type): Nerd Rock (255)
"Nice and quirky. Like the lyrics, but Is this arty enough for Songfight?" --Spud
User avatar
irwin
Lassie
Posts: 502
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:09 pm
Instruments: insecurity
Recording Method: scotch
Submitting as: suckweasel, kasper, nutwalls
Location: Woodland, CA

Re: 9/2/2015 - What's your least favorite music genre?

Postby irwin » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:00 pm

Caravan Ray wrote:What is Matchbox 20 and Nickelback? Is that a genre? Hate fucking bland shit.


Dude, NIckelback is my favorite band ever.
"Ouch. I wonder if this guy sounds like this when he speaks." -- Puce
User avatar
glennny
Hachikō
Posts: 1855
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2006 2:39 am
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Mandolin, Dobro, Banjo, E-Bow, Glock
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene
Location: Castro Valley, California

Re: 9/2/2015 - What's your least favorite music genre?

Postby glennny » Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:51 am

In the bay area we have a radio station called KFOG, they play "quality rock", the likes of which are Matchbox 20, and other bland shit. Consequently I have the ability to tell people their music is quality rock, they think I'm complimenting them, but really it's an insult.

I couldn't agree with more j$ (or J$), there's good music in every genre.
Phillipso, Older Brothers, Semolina Pilchards, Zipline , Thank Glennny for the Frisbee, The Odoriferous Valley, The Worldly Self Assurance, Berkeley Social Scene, Very Gentle Knives, Daddy Bop Swing Set, GUNS, The Kraken Lives, Cavedwellers
User avatar
glennny
Hachikō
Posts: 1855
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2006 2:39 am
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Mandolin, Dobro, Banjo, E-Bow, Glock
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene
Location: Castro Valley, California

Re: 9/2/2015 - What's your least favorite music genre?

Postby glennny » Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:57 am

Here's my favorite world music:
https://youtu.be/Vd5TTREh2qc

(does that count as world music?)
(Prague Rock)
Phillipso, Older Brothers, Semolina Pilchards, Zipline , Thank Glennny for the Frisbee, The Odoriferous Valley, The Worldly Self Assurance, Berkeley Social Scene, Very Gentle Knives, Daddy Bop Swing Set, GUNS, The Kraken Lives, Cavedwellers
Lunkhead
Owney
Posts: 5496
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 12:14 pm
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/reason/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots
Location: Berkeley, CA
Contact:

Re: 9/2/2015 - What's your least favorite music genre?

Postby Lunkhead » Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:15 am

I disagree with j$ and his cheerleaders/echo chamber. (Surprise! :P) Let's pick a genre like jazz. If somebody says they don't like jazz, do you really think that you know better than they do what they like? And that if you just showed them some "good unpopular" as opposed to "bad popular" examples that you could educate them into realizing they don't dislike all jazz? I think that's bullshit. I bet the same could be applied to classical music too, frankly.
j$
Owney
Posts: 5092
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 11:33 am
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint
Location: London, Engerllaaannnddd
Contact:

Re: 9/2/2015 - What's your least favorite music genre?

Postby j$ » Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:20 pm

Ah Lunkhead, I fear l you miss the point :) Did I say at any point I wanted to re-educate anyone as to *good* or *bad* music? No; but clearly you've managed to garner that from my post - so sorry; let me re-phrase my point in the hope it clarifies a little.

The idea of 'genre' is meaningless because it is too broad. Do I like Miles Davis? Yes, for the most part. Do I like Dixieland? Don't mind it, for the most part. Are they both part of the same 'genre'? Only arbitrarily.

Do Devo and Fall Out Boy both play fast, guitar-based music? Yes, debatably. Do I think they have anything in common in their creative endeavours apart from that? No. So, with that thesis, should I recognise 'punk' as a useful catch-all, rather than lazy journalism?

Don't even get me started on the implications of claiming to hate 'world' music, as if all music outside of that made in the West is the same ...

But thanks for the input :)

j$
Last edited by j$ on Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lester Bangs is still dead.

Return to “Daily Roll Call”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest