9/2/2015 - What's your least favorite music genre?

Complain about your schedule. Apparently people like that sort of thing.
glennny
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Mandolin, Dobro, Banjo, E-Bow, Glock
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene

Re: 9/2/2015 - What's your least favorite music genre?

Post by glennny »

Good point Lunkhead. We in the echo chamber were answering a different question than what was asked. To have a least favorite genre does not mean that you categorically dislike all music in that genre. I love soda pop. Squirt is my least favorite soda, but I still love Squirt.

1-Jazz Rock
2-Surf Rock
3- Twee
4- Shoe Gaze
5- Blues Rock

Blues Rock is my least favorite of the 5 , but I still love some Blues Rock.
Phillipso, Older Brothers, Semolina Pilchards, Zipline , Thank Glennny for the Frisbee, The Odoriferous Valley, The Worldly Self Assurance, Berkeley Social Scene, Very Gentle Knives, Daddy Bop Swing Set, GUNS, The Kraken Lives, Cavedwellers
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

Just to clarify, I was/am questioning the validity of the first question, not answering a different one. I don't have a favourite or least favourite genre, I just like music that I consider good.

And it's still j$ (as always), Glennnnnnnnny ;)
Chumpy
Twilight Sparkle
Instruments: Vocals, guitar, bass
Recording Method: Logic
Submitting as: Jerkatorium, Chumpy
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Chumpy »

j$ wrote:Just to clarify, I was/am questioning the validity of the first question, not answering a different one.
Hey, if you don't want to share your musical bigotry with me that's fine, but you're missing out on me snarkily judging you. I find it therapeutic, for example, to confess that Jam bands such as Phish and The Dave Matthews band make me want to jab chopsticks in my ears. It's OK to share, you're in a safe space.
"I don't recommend ending on a bad joke." --ken
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

Hey, if I had any, I would share it here. If I was looking for a perfect example of moronic bigotry, I wouldn't need to go much further than
chump wrote: World Music. Inaccessible folky caterwauling in a language I do not understand. Western music or GTFO.
So thanks for that.

j$
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

So does anyone have any examples of dudes-yelling-into-the-microphone-while-a-drummer-pounds-away-and-there's-guitars music that I might like? Since that's still the only genre I haven't found anything I like in.
Chumpy
Twilight Sparkle

Post by Chumpy »

fluffy wrote:So does anyone have any examples of dudes-yelling-into-the-microphone-while-a-drummer-pounds-away-and-there's-guitars music that I might like? Since that's still the only genre I haven't found anything I like in.
Sometimes lyrics needs to be yelled to get your point across, and it can be very effective. Of course it helps to have a balance between sung and yelled parts.
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

j$ wrote:Hey, if I had any, I would share it here. If I was looking for a perfect example of moronic bigotry, I wouldn't need to go much further than
chump wrote: World Music. Inaccessible folky caterwauling in a language I do not understand. Western music or GTFO.
So thanks for that.

j$
It's not hard for me to imagine that there are people who like connecting with the lyrics of a song, and if they don't speak the language, that connection may not really be there for them. Does that make them bigots...? That's pretty judgmental.

Like fluffy I also can't really get into the genres of metal music with the cookie monster vocals. It all sounds the same to me and I don't care for that sound, so that makes me wonder about the "good unpopular" examples hypothesis in this case.
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

Chumpy wrote:
fluffy wrote:So does anyone have any examples of dudes-yelling-into-the-microphone-while-a-drummer-pounds-away-and-there's-guitars music that I might like? Since that's still the only genre I haven't found anything I like in.
Sometimes lyrics needs to be yelled to get your point across, and it can be very effective. Of course it helps to have a balance between sung and yelled parts.
See, I like that track, but that's also not the sort of thing I'm talking about. There's clear musicianship involved, riffs that are clear and distinct and listenable, a beat other than an endless "BADABADABADA," and so on.

This is closer to what I'm talking about:
noma
Mean Street
Instruments: Guitar, programming, various other stuff
Recording Method: Audacity
Submitting as: Nick Soma

Post by noma »

I can't stand dubstep. Once I used to hate the kind of music Animal Collective does, but then I found that what I really hated about it was the pretentiousness surrounding it and not the music itself, which is alright with me now.

EDIT: Oh, and I'm pretty indifferent at best to most metal, with a few exceptions.
Chumpy
Twilight Sparkle

Post by Chumpy »

Wow Fluffy, some of those Mathcore vocalists really do sound like Cookie Monster. I have to say, I didn't care for any of the sample music I heard in that video, 'Lightning Bolt' being the sole exception, which sounded promising.
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

lunkhead wrote:It's not hard for me to imagine that there are people who like connecting with the lyrics of a song, and if they don't speak the language, that connection may not really be there for them. Does that make them bigots...? That's pretty judgmental.
Well, yes, obviously it does, if that alone stops them enjoying the song for its own merit; and possibly it is judgmental of me to say so; but deservedly. It''s no more judgmental than someone who appears (indirectly) to be arguing for musicians to sing in a foreign (to them) language for the benefit of a few potential fans, just to 'open a connection'. IAH, I wouldn't call that bigoted, just selfish. F'r'instance, I might suggest checking out some VO Francoise Hardy - you don't need to speak French to appreciate the beauty of her back catalogue, or at least I hope that to be the case.

'World' music is a misnomer. Every song recorded is 'world' music. Or maybe I should just GTFO? To Space? *sheesh*.
Like fluffy I also can't really get into the genres of metal music with the cookie monster vocals. It all sounds the same to me and I don't care for that sound, so that makes me wonder about the "good unpopular" examples hypothesis in this case.
Before a few examples, I'd point out *again* this whole 'good unpopular'/ 'bad popular' thing is in your own bracket, nothing I've said ... OK so I really like Death From Above 1979, also Lightning Bolt (which i see mentioned elsewhere) ... but one should ask oneself - are they the 'same genre' or should I think maybe I just don't have the experiential evidence to hear the difference but i really like this or that song?

I really don't want to be that guy who bangs on and on about this, at least any more than I have already; but, really ... ;)
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

j$ wrote: Well, yes, obviously it does, if that alone stops them enjoying the song for its own merit; and possibly it is judgmental of me to say so; but deservedly. It''s no more judgmental than someone who appears (indirectly) to be arguing for musicians to sing in a foreign (to them) language for the benefit of a few potential fans, just to 'open a connection'. IAH, I wouldn't call that bigoted, just selfish. F'r'instance, I might suggest checking out some VO Francoise Hardy - you don't need to speak French to appreciate the beauty of her back catalogue, or at least I hope that to be the case.
I love Faye Wong's stuff. I can't understand a word of it. But it's so pretty. Oh and hey people have subtitled it, so now I can understand it.
user
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: gaming
Recording Method: Microsoft Word
Pronouns: she/him

Post by user »

Who wants some k-pop?

[youtube]watch?v=8SnD7yEvnfs[/youtube]
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

j$ wrote:With no offense intended, there are no bad genres - just bad popular examples of such.
My "good unpopular" thing is just me flipping this around. Anyway, I'm just trolling, not really that serious about it. I still don't like music accompanied with cookie monster vocals though. That genre is bad!
user
Push Comes to Shove

Post by user »

Here's a tiny sampling of some of my favorite cookie monsters:

[youtube]watch?v=6DPhFpZW5a8[/youtube]

[youtube]watch?v=VX-iB5GP-m4[/youtube]

[youtube]watch?v=7W35dyPTh6o[/youtube]
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

I had an argument with a dude in the pub the other night. He hated Fleetwood Mac. I don't particularly like Fleetwood Mac - but "Rumours" - chic full of radio friendly hits as it is - is still the story of two couple breaking up - and hence, a not unwelcome entry to the cannon of 'worthwhile music'. He thought good music should have virtuoso style guitar solos. He thought The Clash sounded amateurish. I asked him to meet me in the car park...
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

user wrote:Here's a tiny sampling of some of my favorite cookie monsters:

I feel like my dad for saying this, but: All of those sound the same to me. What do you get out of this music, exactly?
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Same reaction here, it all sounds the same. I liked one Lamb of God song that I heard though, the one from Guitar Hero or Rock Band or whatever it was. I got a small chuckle out of the Dethklok song but after about 30 seconds the novelty wore off and I lost interest. :/ I just feel like that kind of music is SO formulaic sounding.
AJOwens
Panama
Instruments: bass, guitar, keyboards, drums, flute
Recording Method: Reaper, Reason Adapted, M-Audio 1010LT + 2496 (Windows XP)
Submitting as: James Owens, The Chebuctones

Post by AJOwens »

I cant believe nobody has mentioned twelve-tone serialism.
Chumpy
Twilight Sparkle

Post by Chumpy »

AJOwens wrote:I cant believe nobody has mentioned twelve-tone serialism.
Good point. 12 tones or GTFO, I'm having none of this Harry Partch crap! We're lucky in Seattle to have a number of Partch's instruments in residence at the University of Washington, it was really fun to be able to see, hear, touch, and play some of them.
Attachments
Chromelodeon
Chromelodeon
IMG_1109.JPG (396.92 KiB) Viewed 3218 times
user
Push Comes to Shove

Post by user »

fluffy wrote:What do you get out of this music, exactly?
Same thing I get out of any music... but in a different flavor? As for it all sounding the same (which I hear a lot), I'll make an analogy to wine. To someone who never drinks wine, practically all wines taste the same. With just an ounce of experience, you can taste the difference between, say, red and white, or oaky and not-so-oaky. And if you drink it all the time, you can pick out all kinds of subtleties and find immense differences in flavor and quality (or so I've heard). So is wine formulaic? I'd say, only necessarily to the extent that it fits the formula, or meets the definition, of being a wine; beyond that it may or may not be a particularly formulaic wine. But anyway, some people don't like wine, that's perfectly alright.
BBABM
Mean Street
Instruments: Guitar, Voice, drums
Recording Method: Session, fruity loops
Submitting as: Bad Boys at Bat Mitzvahs, Fitzroy

Post by BBABM »

fluffy wrote:
user wrote:Here's a tiny sampling of some of my favorite cookie monsters:

I feel like my dad for saying this, but: All of those sound the same to me. What do you get out of this music, exactly?
I, personally, get a lot out of "cookie monster" songs. The musicianship, and production on many metal, and post-hardcore albums is second to none. Some of this stuff is incredibly hard to play. It is not for everyone, and most of these bands know full well that the majority of people won't like their music. I'll post one of my favorite examples at the end.

As for "bad" music... I am personally of the mind that if someone goes out, and puts effort forward to make music it is good. Whether or not I like it is totally subjective. This goes for nickleback, all the way up to anyone's favorite band. I personally hate Foo fighters. They just feel totally insincere to me. Whatever, that doesn't mean they suck, and I still have to have respect for them for at least going out and doing it.

I feel like music should challenge you personally. What it actually sounds like is arbitrary.

Cookie monster example :