I beat Gyruss once.
Sober
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Mandolin, hammond, dobro, banjo
Recording Method: Pro Tools
Pronouns: he/him

Just picked up the 80G + MGS4 bundle

Post by Sober »

Haven't opened the box yet, but I'm pretty stoked.
🤠
ujnhunter
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, Crummy Guitar & Animal Noises (especially Donkeys)
Recording Method: Reaper 5.9x, Tascam FireOne/Behringer UMC202HD/Avid Eleven Rack/Line 6 UX2, Win 7 PC / Win 10 Laptop
Submitting as: Cock, Chth*.*, D.A.H. (Der Alter Hahn)
Pronouns: His Infernal Majesty

Re: Just picked up the 80G + MGS4 bundle

Post by ujnhunter »

how much was that? does the 80gb play ps2/ps1 games?
-Ujn Hunter
Photovoltaik - Free 6 Track EP - Song Fight! Liner Notes
Billy's Little Trip wrote:I must have this....in my mouth.....now.
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

All PS3s play PS1 games (via software emulation). I think the MGS4 bundle one plays PS2 ones with software emulation.
ujnhunter
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, Crummy Guitar & Animal Noises (especially Donkeys)
Recording Method: Reaper 5.9x, Tascam FireOne/Behringer UMC202HD/Avid Eleven Rack/Line 6 UX2, Win 7 PC / Win 10 Laptop

Post by ujnhunter »

ah i see... wasn't sure... i have the 60gb so it uses hardware to play ps2 games. but wasn't sure if the 80gb ones played them or not.
-Ujn Hunter
No Horse Town
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: programming, guitar, vox
Recording Method: GuitarPro 5, Audacity
Submitting as: No Horse Town

Post by No Horse Town »

yeah, I got mine last night at the midnight release thing. I haven't actually played it yet, tho I watched my friend play it. Looks pretty spectacular. I have finally joined the "next generation". I picked up GTA 4 too. Man, the PS3 is massive and heavy. And those touchy-rubby power/eject buttons are weird. I have a feeling I will probably miss the next few songfights, thanks to my new toy.

It's funny, a lot of the text is too damn small to read on my TV screen (well, I can squint and figure it out from context). And compared to what I had as a kid, I always thought of this TV as kind of a big one. Damn you, technology! I don't even have room for a bigger TV!

Still hella stoked, tho.

ujnhunter: hold onto that 60gig one. Used 60gigs are going up and up in price from what I've seen.
There's a place where a total stranger will give you their blood...
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band

Post by jb »

Are PS3's loud? My 360 is hella loud and gets super hot. I can't see playing a movie on something so loud in the room.
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

PS3s are pretty quiet. Not totally silent but I can't hear it at all over the audio of the game or movie.
Adam!
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Drum 'n' Bass (but not THAT Drum 'n' Bass)
Recording Method: Reaper + Stock Plugins
Submitting as: Max Bombast

Post by Adam! »

Quieter than the wii.
Sorry wii.
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

Hm, really? I'd say the Wii is quite a bit quieter, at least when idle. Of course I can't hear either when I'm playing a game or watching a movie so it's hard to really compare them in any meaningful way.
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

Oh, duh, I have an SPL meter. Okay.

Background noise: 57dB
PS3 (idle): 57dB
Wii (idle): 58dB

Huh.
Adam!
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Drum 'n' Bass (but not THAT Drum 'n' Bass)
Recording Method: Reaper + Stock Plugins
Submitting as: Max Bombast

Post by Adam! »

I'm not worried about idle. My wii is cacophonous when spinning the disc. Which, due to it's lack of a harddrive, seems to be always.
Sober
Ice Cream Man

Post by Sober »

MGS4 is great, even though I have hated every MG game thus far. COD4 still takes up most of my time. I recommend EA's Skate to anyone interested in the Tony Hawk games looking for a less arcade-ish experience.

The 80g has software emulation, as does the limited-run 20g. The 60g has hardware emulation. The 40g has no PS2 compatibility, 2 fewer usb ports, and fewer card readers/etc. Funny how they settled on the crappiest iteration. Get the 80g while you can.

The first boss in MGS4 is extremely hot.
🤠
ujnhunter
Ice Cream Man

Post by ujnhunter »

my favorite metal gear was the first metal gear solid for the psx... this one is cool so far... but i have to say... it's like cutscene, walk a few feet, cutscene, walk a few more feet, cutscene... etc... maybe i'm not all that far into it yet, but it's not much of a game so far. looks nice tho. hopefully it gets more interactive. ;)
-Ujn Hunter
Sober
Ice Cream Man

Post by Sober »

Some of the cutscenes (the mission briefings in particular) are quite interactive. You can change camera angles, have flashbacks, move the MKII around and even collect items during the scene.

As for the frequency of cutscenes.. yeah. There's a lot of 'em.
🤠
Sober
Ice Cream Man

Post by Sober »

Final review: **--

Man. What the hell? Retarded dialog, inane plot, and the crappiest final act ever. Ugh. What exactly is the appeal of these games? This was the epitome of mediocrity. Stupid stupid stupid.
🤠
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

I'm still on act 1. I suck at stealth games, as it turns out. (Except playing sniper in TF2.)
Sober
Ice Cream Man

Post by Sober »

Ok, so here's a condensed (though still rambling) version of a multi-post review from another board. Some comments were roughly in reply to other posts, but you get the idea. Quick background is that I've never played more than 5 minutes of any Metal Gear game, because I hate 'sneaking.'
Finally got around to finishing the game. It's like 2 hours of fun and 16 hours of MEH. During the cutscenes, I kept wanting Snake to shout "WTF R U TALKING ABOUT" srsly the plot, dialog, and directing is just awful.

The game gets bonus points for a pretty cool purchase/upgrade system, some really badass characters/action scenes, and hot bitches. The combat is middling, and sneaking has always bored the shit out of me.

I played through on the easiest mode. I had enough of a distaste for the series going in without spending hours repeating boss battles.

The last fight is stupid, the ending scenes are stupid, the fight with screaming mantis is stupid.

Being impressed by 'awesome graphics' is stupid in this day and age imo. How about making a fun game with a good storyline instead of quadrupling the polygon count and having insane lighting effects?

And let me point out, so that I can quote myself in two years when the next Metal Gear comes out, that even though MGS4 is the only game I've played in the series, I can tell you who's going to show up in the next game:

EVERYONE WHO DIED IN THIS GAME BECAUSE NO ONE ACTUALLY DIES GOD THIS SHIT IS RETARDED

Spoiler text in white: Vamp (gay imo), Naomi, Big Boss, Zero (WTF WHO IS THAT), Liquid - they will ALL be back, and Otocon will be like OMG I THOUGHT U DIED AHHHHH

Way to go, Hideo. Reeeeeally creative.
I think my opinion of the game got worse as I got further into it. It's pretty fun until act III, and then it's just ridiculous plot crap aimed at a smaller audience than most Dennis Miller jokes.
🤠
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

Supposedly MGS4 is going to be the last MGS game.

Also, no rants about the horrifically bad online play? Even getting a character signup is like a Kojima boss battle. Although that's more Konami's fault for wanting to use their own fucking Konami ID matchmaking service instead of just using PSN, their justification being that Konami ID gives them a "single sign up to every Konami game" (guess what, PSN would have fucking given them that TOO, WITHOUT completely pissing off everyone on the planet).
Sober
Ice Cream Man

Post by Sober »

Yeah, I was going to give online play a try, but when they tried to make me sign up for two different konami id's with two different passwords that each needed to be 8+ characters with numbers, lowercase and uppercase letters, I gave up. I wouldn't have done it even with a mouse and keyboard, but asking that kind of perseverance with a controller is insane. Hideo Kogima can lick my chode.
🤠
ujnhunter
Ice Cream Man

Post by ujnhunter »

MGS online kindo sucks anyhow... COD4 is much better online game... stick with that. Warhawk is fun tho... ;)
-Ujn Hunter
DougFunnie93
A New Player
Instruments: bass, and guitar
Recording Method: Fruityloops and audacity
Submitting as: Doug Funnie

Post by DougFunnie93 »

Im a mad MGS fan since the 5th grade, Mg4 is a game you have to play from the get go of the series. if you didnt then you will NOT like the game. The storyline is the simply greatest out of any game i played, including 360, wii and ps3 games. I played the mgs1 through at least 123 times...i know its in the triple digits at least. but i have to say yes, the cutscenes do get annoy only because there is so much shit to explain to END the mgs series. personally, i dont think the 360 could handle the games graphics to be honest. if at all, they would have to dull the graphics like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uy9_ed8F ... re=related) Voice acting is great, with accredited actors from many tv shows liked futurama and others.

ps. vamp was bi....they explained that in mgs2
"man, they call me doug funnie cause i always bring them sweet beets"