So the PS3 got pwned...

I beat Gyruss once.
ujnhunter
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, Crummy Guitar & Animal Noises (especially Donkeys)
Recording Method: Reaper 5.9x, Tascam FireOne/Behringer UMC202HD/Avid Eleven Rack/Line 6 UX2, Win 7 PC / Win 10 Laptop
Submitting as: Cock, Chth*.*, D.A.H. (Der Alter Hahn)
Pronouns: His Infernal Majesty

Re: So the PS3 got pwned...

Post by ujnhunter »

fluffy wrote:Have you actually lost access to certain USB pads though? I hadn't heard of anyone actually losing those before - all I'd seen was rumors and hearsay.
No, but I have heard from some people that I trust that they've lost functionality with their Sega Saturn USB game pads after the update... So I'm not even going to risk it... seeing as if they are disabled I've pretty much lost the only reason I have to even play games on my PS3. Well besides playing PS2 games with wireless controllers and unlimited virtual memory cards! ;) Hell as it stands I really only use my PS3 to watch Blu-ray movies anyhow... :\
-Ujn Hunter
Photovoltaik - Free 6 Track EP - Song Fight! Liner Notes
Billy's Little Trip wrote:I must have this....in my mouth.....now.
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

sigh
ujnhunter
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, Crummy Guitar & Animal Noises (especially Donkeys)
Recording Method: Reaper 5.9x, Tascam FireOne/Behringer UMC202HD/Avid Eleven Rack/Line 6 UX2, Win 7 PC / Win 10 Laptop

Post by ujnhunter »

fluffy wrote:sigh
It's a bummer for single console owners for sure... I feel for you. I have no sympathy for Sony however... (I know you work for them) but I've been PSNless since The Linux Incident TM.
-Ujn Hunter
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

Yeah, I'm a little surprised to hear how bad the hack was this time, considering Sony's towering reputation as a tech company... Guess I'm just glad I don't own a PS3 right now.
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
BBABM
Mean Street
Instruments: Guitar, Voice, drums
Recording Method: Session, fruity loops
Submitting as: Bad Boys at Bat Mitzvahs, Fitzroy

Post by BBABM »

so basically what i am understanding is that tons of people are complaining about not being able to use controllers that werent made for the ps3, and not being able to install a 3rd party OS so they can basically skirt around the system and get free shit. basically it sounds to me like people bitching about losing stuff they shouldn't really be doing in the first place. yes, the backwards compatability loss sucks, but the rest is just common sense. they are a business, and they make a product to be used a certain way. should you decide to use that product in ways that it was not intended, you have no room to complain when they say you cant, or take measures to stop you. they did not sell the ps3 as a computer capable of running linux, they sold it as a video game for kids. there were no giant signs in gamestop saying "put linux on your ps3! it's the best!" ... some very intelligent people figured out that you could, and it happened to be good at it, but that was not what it was meant to do.
i dont personally own a ps3... i have a wii and some iCrap but i havent jailbroken, or homebrewed any of it. mostly because if something should F up (which is also not unlikely with electronics) i want to be able to go to apple or nintendo and say "i was using it correctly, it ate shit, give me a new one"...
ujnhunter
Ice Cream Man

Post by ujnhunter »

BBABM wrote:so basically what i am understanding is that tons of people are complaining about not being able to use controllers that werent made for the ps3, and not being able to install a 3rd party OS so they can basically skirt around the system and get free shit. basically it sounds to me like people bitching about losing stuff they shouldn't really be doing in the first place. yes, the backwards compatability loss sucks, but the rest is just common sense. they are a business, and they make a product to be used a certain way. should you decide to use that product in ways that it was not intended, you have no room to complain when they say you cant, or take measures to stop you. they did not sell the ps3 as a computer capable of running linux, they sold it as a video game for kids. there were no giant signs in gamestop saying "put linux on your ps3! it's the best!" ... some very intelligent people figured out that you could, and it happened to be good at it, but that was not what it was meant to do.
i dont personally own a ps3... i have a wii and some iCrap but i havent jailbroken, or homebrewed any of it. mostly because if something should F up (which is also not unlikely with electronics) i want to be able to go to apple or nintendo and say "i was using it correctly, it ate shit, give me a new one"...
You don't know what you're talking about obviously. The PS3 was designed to allow Linux. It says so on the box. It was an advertised feature. I think you're one of those guys that "hears" something and then has an opinion of that something they "heard" when in fact what you "heard" isn't factual. Linux has nothing to do with skirting the system for "free shit".
-Ujn Hunter
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

There's some very complicated (and stupid) stuff going on, and of course I am not at liberty to discuss any of it. I will risk the wrath of my employer by saying that I feel that Sony has reacted in exactly the wrong way at every step along this whole stupid debacle and this most recent issue is the culmination of about a year of bad decisions (which are in turn resting on the shoulders of some very bad design choices made six years ago). I also don't know anyone within Sony who thinks we've done anything right, especially in our public response, and everyone who knew about the particular design choice knew that this would bite us in the ass eventually, but because the system was "unhackable" nobody in control felt it necessary to "waste time" fixing it.

This is what happens when Japanese management practices run amok, basically, and everyone suffers for it.

And yes BBABM's long ramble is so full of shit that I don't even know where to begin responding to it, either as a consumer or as a Sony employee, so I won't.
BBABM
Mean Street

Post by BBABM »

i am truly sorry, i never saw it advertised as designed to allow linux, i am willing to accept i am wrong there... if they advertised that, then it should be illegal to take it away.
however, if it gives people the capability of not paying for licensed merchandise than what is it if not a potential way to skirt the system for free shit? it would be unethical to the people who design games for their system not to take measures to stop it, or eventually, no one would make games because there was no money in it.
im sure that most people do not use it like this, and have totally legitimate gripes with why they should be allowed to do what ever they want with this box that they bought and own. but as so often has happened, a few jackwads screw a great thing up for the rest of the people who just want to do something cool.

im sure im totally wrong again, and everything i said is dumb... and i dont pay enough attention to know all the ins and outs and finite details of the whole brouhaha... but im sure its impossible to try and stop people from stealing, and give people the freedom to do whatever they want with the machine
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

BBABM wrote:im sure im totally wrong again, and everything i said is dumb...
Yes.
BBABM wrote:but im sure its impossible to try and stop people from stealing, and give people the freedom to do whatever they want with the machine
Which is why the Linux support didn't have full access to the whole machine.
BBABM
Mean Street

Post by BBABM »

fair enough...
i dunno if you can answer this, but there must have been a reason they didnt just put the free linux on the machine out of the box... was there an upside to their os? cause with all the uproar, it seems like there wasnt.
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

It didn't come preinstalled because that would have wasted a lot of hard drive space. It was always an optional install.
BBABM
Mean Street

Post by BBABM »

interesting. i believe y'all that it was always there, and that was a pretty dick move to take it away if the thing was designed and marketed to do it... i always thought it was a whole crazy "code cracking" ordeal, and was not as easy, or as intentional as you make it sound (especially from how someone talked about it in the very first post). i won't pretend i know anything about programming, or that i'm an expert with computers... i just push buttons, and as long as i dont go crazy pushing a million buttons at the same time, somehow stuff works like its supposed to.
well, im glad my false assumptions were pointed out, and i feel bad for anyone who bought it specifically for the alternate os function. that blows, and you have every right to be super pissed. sorry for being a douche.

i dont know anything about any other problems people are having so i'll shut up now, and stick to making dumb songs.