Nur Ein XI Round Zero "This Is Not A Test"

There can be only one.
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Re: Nur Ein XI- Round Zero

Post by j$ »

Niv wrote:Posting lyrics is not a requirement. It's a good thing that people should do, but it's far from a requirement.
In fact, on some occasions it could be a viewed as a terrible misstep ;)
Levittdown
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Submitting as: Levittdown

Post by Levittdown »

noma wrote:
Levittdown

Composition: 6/10
Lyrics: 5/10
Performance: 2/10
Production: 5/10

Creativity bonus: 0
Challenge bonus: ?

I like the intro. I hate the autotune. This makes you lose a lot of points for performance, and production as well. Weird lyrics which, I'm afraid, I don't quite get. Does it qualify as "origin story"? Not sure.
Thank you for the detailed feedback. I was poking around the internet on Saturday and I thought "isn't it about now that the Nur Ein thing happens" and decided to just do it even though I was eliminated in Round One in 2014. So I didn't have any of my equipment set up and just played and sang into my Apple products. This is my excuse for the Production and the autotune (I'll check that, I thought it was off but maybe not).

As to the lyrics I wrote a purposefully obscure sort of Batman/Spider-Man origin of someone watching their mother murdered while they stood on the front lawn and the normally noisy street was quiet with no one to help. Musically I wanted it to drive like the theme song for a movie would be.
"Cool tune! Love the "Teethmarks won't fade away" hook, wish I'd thunk of that one"
Jack Logan
noma
Mean Street
Instruments: Guitar, programming, various other stuff
Recording Method: Audacity
Submitting as: Nick Soma

Post by noma »

Levittdown wrote:Thank you for the detailed feedback. I was poking around the internet on Saturday and I thought "isn't it about now that the Nur Ein thing happens" and decided to just do it even though I was eliminated in Round One in 2014. So I didn't have any of my equipment set up and just played and sang into my Apple products. This is my excuse for the Production and the autotune (I'll check that, I thought it was off but maybe not).

As to the lyrics I wrote a purposefully obscure sort of Batman/Spider-Man origin of someone watching their mother murdered while they stood on the front lawn and the normally noisy street was quiet with no one to help. Musically I wanted it to drive like the theme song for a movie would be.
Ah, that was my guess, but I wasn't entirely sure. Your song does have a lot of potential. I'm anticipating your round one entry.

As for the lyrics - I wanted to include lyric points in my score, but it's hard for me to understand lyrics without being able to read them. Perhaps I should just ignore them for my ranking then, but I felt that this would have been unfair to those whose lyrics I did rate, and not including any lyrics in my ranking doesn't seem like a good option too. Please keep in mind that English is not my mother tongue, and understanding song lyrics is hard for me even in my first language. When Carlo was a judge two years ago, most people even translated their lyrics to Spanish (though that might have been a little over the top - just post them for me, thank you.) By the way - where's Carlo? I was looking forward to getting to hear new Carlo music, but he doesn't seem to be around.
carlo bruno jr
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: bass, guitar, drums, keyb., programming
Recording Method: Ableton Live, Apple computer
Submitting as: carlo bruno jr, ray negro

Post by carlo bruno jr »

noma wrote:
Levittdown wrote:By the way - where's Carlo?
Hi. Thanks for remembering me. Carlo's schedule sucks this year. Past sunday I found a timehole and I tried to make some fast entry but I was unable to catch some good idea on lyrics or music and the timehole become closed in itself.

Instead I will watch from the sidelines. Good contest for all.

Nur Ein!!!!!!!!!!!
iVeg
Mean Street
Submitting as: inflatable vegetables

Post by iVeg »

j$ & noma - thanks for your reviews. I wasn't expecting such detail in round 0, so it's a big help.

Lyrics rating - This round it doesn't matter, but in future rounds I would hate to get a zero because I didn't have time to post before noma rated the songs. On the other hand, I don't remember any other judge so open and clear about their ratings. I appreciated the lyric rating, but it seems like extra work for noma.
facebook.com/ivegband
BenKrieger
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: A lot of instruments passably.
Recording Method: Sonar, UA preamp, Apogee Rosetta converter; Garage Band; Zoom recorder; iPhone
Submitting as: Boop Boop, Chokehold Princess, Rattlebox, Oystercatcher, Solo Frijoles
Pronouns: he/him

Post by BenKrieger »

Noma's rating of mine is pretty fair, actually. I've since restrung the steel string and the song's chords/harmonics ring a lot brighter than on the classical guitar. I'm going to rerecord it that way
noma
Mean Street

Post by noma »

iVeg wrote:Lyrics rating - This round it doesn't matter, but in future rounds I would hate to get a zero because I didn't have time to post before noma rated the songs. On the other hand, I don't remember any other judge so open and clear about their ratings. I appreciated the lyric rating, but it seems like extra work for noma.
Don't worry, I decided to not let non-posted lyrics influence my ranking. I'll just ignore the lyric category with songs that have no lyrics posted and won't vote anyone down because of that. I think it's less controversial that way.
Also, thanks to all of you who complimented my style of reviewing. I will continue in this fashion, if you guys like it, that is. (If you don't, saving the precious time I spend on reviewing is welcome with me just as well.)
Chumpy
Twilight Sparkle
Instruments: Vocals, guitar, bass
Recording Method: Logic
Submitting as: Jerkatorium, Chumpy

Post by Chumpy »

Solo Frijoles: I didn't get what this song was about the first 2-3 times I heard it, but it really grew on me. Right away I knew this song did a good job using the title in a hooky way. Excellent singing with sweet doubled harmonies. The sweet melismas on 'love' and 'were' drew me in long enough to pay attention to the lyrics, which are excellent. It's an origin story of an ordinary teacher. There are some production issues which I'm completely happy to overlook when the music moves me, and moved I was.

bgm: In telling the story of the Emergency Broadcast System you cover its origin, technically describe it, effectively use it musically, and cover its eventual demise -- allowing you to make literal use of the song's title at the end. Fat & warm rhythm guitars, restrained lead licks, minor pop-candy choruses, lush vocals, good use of stereo, rhymes when it needs to, doesn't when it doesn't. This is a damn high bar. My only criticisms are that it's emotionally somewhat cold, like the Wikipedia article that it was sourced from, and the fuzzy synth line from 1:07 to 1:20 could be louder.

Paco del Stinko: Cool biblical origin story. Let there be light! I'm a sucker for the way you sing words like 'aark', and 'path'. The vocals are bold and have an interesting character to them. That guitar solo with OOH, OOH, in the background really works for me. I appreciate well done BVs, and this song uses them effectively. This is a well crafted and well produced little musical nugget that's really easy on the ears. Good use of the song title.

Cavedwellers: Energy, performance, production, crisp riffs, sweet BVs, it picked me up every time I heard it. Lyrically nothing really stuck and without reading the lyrics I would have had no idea of what it was about. The Wikipedia on Eurydice was a fun read, and the first verse tells her story nicely. I started to read the Euripides Wikipedia page before I came to my senses. I don't need to understand this to appreciate it.

Micah Sommersmith: Literal comic book style origin story, nice. The story is well told through song, and when the action picks up so does the instrumentation and tempo. It's fun, well written, and very creative. Although your lawyer may have advised you that one utterance of the song's title in a chorus section meets all the necessary legal requirements, I dinged you for for not meeting the spirit of the challenge. Great manic intensity and nerdy rapping though, and you definitely win on word-count alone.

Grumpy Mike: I dig the heavy, well produced guitar riffage, thanks for that. Good singing that matches the style. I'm not getting a heavy origin story vibe from the lyrics, but hey, I still enjoyed it, even though the overall sound smacks of mainstream 90s grunge, which isn't my favorite. Points for competence.

iVeg: The second note you sing sounds off to me, it's not a great way to start. Things smooth out and get better quickly. Fuzzy peaking/clipping distortion is not the good kind. Keep your levels under control, I'm going to keep harping on this until you fix it. Usually it involves tedious balancing and mixing, but I'd happy if you just apply this thing called a 'limiter' to the master track which is an easy fix. The melody of your chorus has a great 60s feel to it, love it. The samples are a mixed bag, and are a net negative. Solid songwriting as per usual.

Zack Facco: I like the lead guitar noodling a lot, it reminds me of D. Boone from the Minutemen. I also appreciate that you took some chances with the spoken word, and synth voice. I enjoyed learning about The Merchant of Death. I feel like the spoken word section got much longer it wouldn't really work. But this works for me, a fan of punk-sounding experimental music.

DJ Ranger Den: Great singing. I'm getting that Tom Waits at the piano feel, especially with lines about seedy singles bars. The 2x tracked vocals on 'dirty rotten origin' sound really sweet, and the radio effect on the vocals last sung line is super well done -- I love the mood. Lots of hints about origin via conception, but short of an actual origin story.

BSS: Bass Sounds Shitty.

Strangely Brown: It tells a good story and the narration has a natural, if plodding character. I felt the Queenslander pride vicariously when the Crow got walloped, proving that Origin rugby was the real deal. The narration overwhelms the song, as your doctor I recommend less talking and more singing like Cat Stevens.

Boffo Yux Dudes: The first section sounds great, sloppy claps not withstanding, and if you would have ended the song after the second chorus I'd have been happy. The bridge section contains a lot of more-bad-than-funny James Brown style vocalications and to make it worse, they're mixed loud as fuck. I did however chuckle at 'ouch!'. The cyber-voice section I like a lot, but the detuned chords hurt me, although I like them notionally. The last minute of the song is a net negative.

Levittdown: Starts out promising. Some distortion and clipping. I'm doing my best, but I'm having a hard time latching on to a story, origin or otherwise. Lyrics vague and unsatisfying. Musically I quite like it, bass and guitar working well together, and drums, there are drums, although I'm mostly hearing the cymbals on my shitty laptop speakers.

Ken Mahru: This is well produced and well performed G&G music, but still a bit boring. Origin story vague and unsatisfying, I'd rather you over-use the title than the other way round, so no complaints there.

Pepper Jane: Less and less stilted ad-lib would be an improvement. Strong singing, sloppy playing, too much reverb. I really like the Adam & Eve line, which gets you a pass on origin story for me. In general the lyrics seem vague and blurry.

Michael J. Samules: Good singing marred by uncomfortable stop-and-go timing and the occasional glitchy edit. I mean it's OK to have some unusual timing, but when combine it with random glitches, it just makes me feel lost. If there is an origin story here I'm not hearing it.

Potato Dentata: I can hear you singing in unison, so clearly multiple tracks aren't an issue. Throw me a bone here, slap a thigh, shake an egg, clap some hands. Elevate this out of reverby G&G territory and I'd be more favorable. I liked it lyrically and musically, and you met the challenges handily.

DuTova: When I went to write your review, I felt like I was running out of time, so I just typed some shit into this box, and when I felt like I had enough I stopped. I hope to write a better review next time. Nice falsetto.

Cyberonica: You nailed the origin story aspect of the song, so kudos there. At times the singing is both powerful and pitchy, which is a challenging combo. Add to that poor production, a medieval fantasy theme, cheese synth+drums, a disregard for the song's title, and that goddamn sword sound and you landed squarely in the 'do not like' category. Despite how negative this review is, I thought your writing was strong, and I'd like to hear from you again.

RankCorps: Shrill synth with distorted emotionless vocals. Remarking that we all come from somewhere isn't an origin story. The lyrics aren't awful, but they're not great either. Do not like.

Rabid Garfunkel: Loud as fuck. Every time I get to your song, I immediately have to turn it down. It's DARK. It's LOUD. And PROMETHEUS distorts and rattles my speakers. High pitched uncomfortable frequencies and pretentious art wank feels. I did consider that you're trolling me.
"I don't recommend ending on a bad joke." --ken
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

noma wrote: Please keep in mind that English is not my mother tongue, and understanding song lyrics is hard for me even in my first language. When Carlo was a judge two years ago, most people even translated their lyrics to Spanish
So what is your mother tongue Nick? You may have told us last year, but I forgot.

Hope your not as fussy as Carlo. He complained when I gave him Portugese lyrics. There's no pleasing some people.
DuToVa
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Submitting as: DuToVa
Pronouns: ---

Post by DuToVa »

Chumpy wrote:DuTova: When I went to write your review, I felt like I was running out of time, so I just typed some shit into this box, and when I felt like I had enough I stopped. I hope to write a better review next time.
LOL!
Rabid Garfunkel
Jump
Instruments: Absurdity
Recording Method: iPhone, GarageBand & rando apps/toys
Submitting as: OZYMANDIPUS, Rabid Garfunkel, Primitive Screwheads
Pronouns: that guy

Post by Rabid Garfunkel »

Chumpy wrote:Rabid Garfunkel: Loud as fuck. Every time I get to your song, I immediately have to turn it down. It's DARK. It's LOUD. And PROMETHEUS distorts and rattles my speakers. High pitched uncomfortable frequencies and pretentious art wank feels. I did consider that you're trolling me.
Sorry 'bout the speaker abuse, the doubled "vocal" fx was pounding the low end something fierce, and the monitors I have now didn't get all floppy from it.

Mental note: voice distorters sound like low energy distortion. Check.

Not trolling you, Sir Chumpy :shock: but the other observations are pretty much on point ;)
"Urban cartoon music." -- Paco Del Stinko
Be my friend? --- Song of the Day
noma
Mean Street

Post by noma »

Caravan Ray wrote:
noma wrote: Please keep in mind that English is not my mother tongue, and understanding song lyrics is hard for me even in my first language. When Carlo was a judge two years ago, most people even translated their lyrics to Spanish
So what is your mother tongue Nick? You may have told us last year, but I forgot.

Hope your not as fussy as Carlo. He complained when I gave him Portugese lyrics. There's no pleasing some people.
It's German, so I'd much appreciate a Dutch translation. ;)
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

noma wrote:
Caravan Ray wrote:

It's German, so I'd much appreciate a Dutch translation. ;)
This is the only time I've ever attempted anything German:

https://songlander.com/rest/entries/D97 ... F42CF/file

Appalling French is my usual speciality.
noma
Mean Street

Post by noma »

noma wrote:iVeg

Listening to this with headphones, your voice does that digital clipping dearly behated by any audiophile. Production would have been OK otherwise, but I had to rate you down a few points there.
BTW - if you don't know how to avoid the clipping (I hope you won't feel insulted if you do - I'm just trying to help), then here are a few tips for you. "Clipping" refers to the top and bottom of a sound wave being clipped, causing an unpleasant distortion (fuzz pedals actually work in the same way, only that they do so on purpose).
First of all, try to keep the output level of whatever you are using to record low (mic, preamp, synth, direct-in guitar,... but especially the mic) - you can usually adjust this with a gain and/or output knob on your audio interface (or via sliders or whatever in your DAW). This prevents clipping while recording, which is the worst form of clipping as it can't be undone. Also, keep the level of each separate track low when mixing it down to one stereo track, so that the final stereo track doesn't overdrive. You can then increase the volume of your final mix as desired.
While mixing, use compression where you can, but don't overdo it in order to not make your track sound muddy. Compression can help with clipping, as it makes sure there are no sudden outbursts to cause distortion. Check your mix for clipping by listening to it at least once on good monitors, and once on headphones. Some people like to listen to their final tracks on their car stereo, which is a different listening experience yet again, especially while driving, since some frequencies (low mids mostly) are swallowed by car and street noise.

This instruction is meant to be friendly advice to you, but also to provide protection for my ears ;)
BenKrieger
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: A lot of instruments passably.
Recording Method: Sonar, UA preamp, Apogee Rosetta converter; Garage Band; Zoom recorder; iPhone
Submitting as: Boop Boop, Chokehold Princess, Rattlebox, Oystercatcher, Solo Frijoles

Post by BenKrieger »

Well, that takes the edge off the Sanders loss a bit.
josh
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Kazoo, Vocals, Keys
Recording Method: Reaper, 4-Track Cassette
Submitting as: Zack Facco

Post by josh »

Ya, know, I originally was hoping to find a sample of a "this is not a test" from the Emergency Broadcast System. But I couldn't find it anywhere. Do they say that during a real emergency? I feel like I've heard a real emergency broadcast before, but maybe not.
bgm
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: guitars, vocals, some drums, some keys, various shaky things
Submitting as: bgm, 73 Keep It Beautiful, From A Basement

Post by bgm »

josh wrote:Ya, know, I originally was hoping to find a sample of a "this is not a test" from the Emergency Broadcast System. But I couldn't find it anywhere. Do they say that during a real emergency? I feel like I've heard a real emergency broadcast before, but maybe not.
I did the same thing. Couldn't find it anywhere, only people doing parodies that say that. The closest thing you could find is the CONELRAD recordings from the early 60's that they'd play in case of an attack, which were super-creepy but still never said "this is not a test."
bgm
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: guitars, vocals, some drums, some keys, various shaky things
Submitting as: bgm, 73 Keep It Beautiful, From A Basement

Post by bgm »

Thanks for the awesome feedback, judges. Much appreciated.
On to round 1 if this stressful week doesn't kill me.
We'll see if inspiration (beer) comes through and helps me produce anything for this round.
carlo bruno jr
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: bass, guitar, drums, keyb., programming
Recording Method: Ableton Live, Apple computer
Submitting as: carlo bruno jr, ray negro

Post by carlo bruno jr »

Caravan Ray wrote:Hope your not as fussy as Carlo. He complained when I gave him Portugese lyrics. There's no pleasing some people.
Don't pull my finger!! :mrgreen:

I really appreciated that kind of joke, that was what I thought was your Portuguese translation.

"The Tydon Docks: (First of all thanks for the Portuguese translation of one of your past posts) The song I found fabulous, although the 1:11 time left me a little sick. Challenge ok."

If I'm not wrong, only Ross Durand and Cavedwellers made translations of lyrics on Nur Ein IX. I appreciated that, but it does not affect my ratings.
Chumpy
Twilight Sparkle
Instruments: Vocals, guitar, bass
Submitting as: Jerkatorium, Chumpy

Post by Chumpy »

noma wrote:"Clipping" refers to the top and bottom of a sound wave being clipped, causing an unpleasant distortion...
Good advice on clipping, thanks for that Nick. I was curious about iVeg's mp3, so I decoded it and converted it to a wav file, and there were no clipped samples, so the clipping we heard must have been on the recording. Just for grins I converted all the mp3s in the fight to wav files with sox, and here were the top clippers.

Code: Select all

sox WARN sox: `levittdown.wav' output clipped 87800 samples; decrease volume?
sox WARN sox: `paco.wav' output clipped 13338 samples; decrease volume?
sox WARN sox: `bgm.wav' output clipped 610 samples; decrease volume?
sox WARN sox: `cavedwellers.wav' output clipped 561 samples; decrease volume?
sox WARN sox: `rabid.wav' output clipped 344 samples; decrease volume?
sox WARN sox: `BYD.wav' output clipped 170 samples; decrease volume?
sox WARN sox: `cybronica.wav' output clipped 115 samples; decrease volume?
sox WARN sox: `rankcorps.wav' output clipped 90 samples; decrease volume?
sox WARN sox: `grumpy.wav' output clipped 16 samples; decrease volume?
sox WARN sox: `ken.wav' output clipped 11 samples; decrease volume?
sox WARN sox: `BSS.wav' output clipped 1 samples; decrease volume?
sox WARN sox: `solo.wav' output clipped 1 samples; decrease volume?
Some of these are likely due to the fact that mp3 encoding isn't an exact representation of the source material, and sometimes can add gain which causes clipping on playback.
"I don't recommend ending on a bad joke." --ken
noma
Mean Street

Post by noma »

Chumpy wrote:BSS: Bass Sounds Shitty.
I lol'd at this. :D
Levittdown
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Submitting as: Levittdown

Post by Levittdown »

Finally! I "win" at something! I'll take the clipping prize!
"Cool tune! Love the "Teethmarks won't fade away" hook, wish I'd thunk of that one"
Jack Logan