There can be only one.
josh
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Kazoo, Vocals, Keys
Recording Method: Reaper, 4-Track Cassette
Submitting as: Zack Facco

Re: Nur Ein XI- Round One

Post by josh »

The nice thing about throwing a capo on is that you can make use of all the same tricks that work in open position. Plus it sounds completely different using a capo vs. barring. I'll play barre chords on an acoustic sometimes, but I don't think they sound as good as open chords.
PepperJane
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Voice. Followed by piano or guitar
Recording Method: Crustacean
Submitting as: PepperJane

Post by PepperJane »

noma wrote: Hey, Em, C, D, and G are good chords. There's a reason they are used so often. As long as you don't ever use any other chords, that's OK.
By the way, substituting a D/F# (2000232) for D and a Cadd9 (032033) for C sounds really good when playing open chords on an acoustic guitar. I use these chords a lot. (They tend to sound even better if you use a capo at the 2nd or 3rd fret.)
Is that a challenge to not use Em C D and G at all this week ... (I`d use a question mark but it`s been replaced with an `é`here :-s)
I love Cadd9 and use D/Fsharp (see symbolic excuse above) a bunch too, esp with the open high E... thanks to Silverchair. Mm mmm. Did not know that they may sound better capo`d tho - I`m writing a riff with a capo on 2nd only on 3 strings and it`s sounding pretty deadly (punkrockers read: folkily dull)... maybe I can put it in something next week but this week it`s ferocious. :?

So does anyone here live near Toronto that I could get a decently captured noise this weekÉ (!!) Can pay in breadsticks and UHT milk.
Everything is about perspective. :shock:
noma
Mean Street
Instruments: Guitar, programming, various other stuff
Recording Method: Audacity
Submitting as: Nick Soma

Post by noma »

josh wrote:The nice thing about throwing a capo on is that you can make use of all the same tricks that work in open position. Plus it sounds completely different using a capo vs. barring. I'll play barre chords on an acoustic sometimes, but I don't think they sound as good as open chords.
Indeed. Bb, for example, is a beautiful key, but it sounds dull when played without a capo. Playing in G with a capo on the 3rd fret is much better. (Plus the key of Bb makes it easier for wind instruments such as trumpets or saxophones to play along.)