There can be only one.
furrypedro
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Guitar, programming
Recording Method: Cubase, Reason
Submitting as: Balance Lost

Re: Nur Ein XII - Round Four

Post by furrypedro »

MicahSommer wrote:Ahem, there are actually three songs in the top two slots, one of which did in fact score a 10. :)
Oh yeah! I blame my oversight on drugs and friendly women. I think this means you kind of have an honorary win there, Micah. Well done :)
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

Just to add to the statistical discussion, if you look at the variance of each contestant's scores (the expectation of the squared deviation of a random variable from its mean), it comes out as:

16.7 - Cavedwellers
10.5 - Balance Lost
9.2 - Glenn case
8.3 - 73 Keep It Beautiful
6.8 - strangelove
6 - Micah Sommersmith
5.5 - Merisan
3.3 - Jerkatorium
3.2 - BSS
3 - Nick Soma

Showing that generally - the judges were in general agreement that BSS and Merisan would be on top and Nick and Jerk would be out. Cavedwellers suffered most from judging capriciousness and showed the biggest split in opinion across the judges. Likewise BL and Glenn - though they both ended up in the middle of the pack - a slightly different opinion by one or more judges could have seen them either on top...or out the door.
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

Dear CR

a) The word is 'caprice' not 'capriciousness.
b) Its definition - "a sudden and unaccountable change of mood or behaviour" does not accurately describe the situation. There is nothing 'unaccountable' about a judge not liking a particular song as much as another; not that on e judge should disagree with another on what their own favourite song is at any given time.
c) Music is not maths. There is no formula to win Nur Ein each time. Sorry, geeks.
d) Although I'd check with Skub on point C.
e) Seriously, does he have a formula?
f) Let's get him!

j$
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

j$ wrote: Niv, do you still have that 'Nur Ein - Guide for Judges' joke handbook I wrote a few years back? The year Eric Y and FBF went to war with each other? Maybe it's time to give that an airing ...
OMG. This has existed for years and J$ is finally allowing its airing:

The 10 Steps of being a Nur Ein Competitor:
Stage 1. Complain about challenge / title while remembering to compliment the other for fear of alienating some of your potential votes (at least one judge picked the title and challenge and they so obivously partial that you might lose votes)

Stage 2. Imply the judges are biased against your music, so you don’t stand a chance, or imply they are biased in favour of a competitor.

Stage 3. Don’t forget to remind everyone how little time you had to record the song, or about recording equipment limitations, or how hard the challenge is making your life.

Stage 4. Return to the boards to pick apart the challenge / title semantically and post some bravado about how boss your song will be. Alternatively post whimpering statement about how you hope the judges will be kind because of stage 3 considerations. This is called going for the sympathy vote. Also seen: bravado posts about stage 3 considerations This is called the Production Fight Defence.

Stage 4. Actually record and submit the song.

Stage 5. Complain about how long the judges are taking to score and review your songs. That gives you a *DAY* to fatuously pick a single competitor (doesn’t matter who) to congratulate on how brilliant their take on the title/challenge is. This is to give the erroneous impression that you are aware that this is only a free competition on the internet, with no physical prize, and that you don’t mind if you go out.

Stage 6. Don’t review, or if you do, keep them short and pithy to the point of meaningless and deal out lashings of praise to everyone. If you want to slag off a song that you aren’t entirely sure is going to get its entrant eliminated, do so by making vague statements along the lines of “hope the judges won’t be too hard on the fact that ....”

Stage 7 When judge reviews are chosen, take a phrase or sentence out of context to quote at the top of your response. Then type paragraphs and paragraphs of self-justifying, angry posts addressed at the judge but not addressing the issue they raised, when all you are really saying is *Waah, waah, they didn't appreciate my brilliant song. Waah, waah!*
. Bonus points if you can put in links to obscure bands / Wikipedia articles / pictures of a baby saying LOL. This is called the Safety in Numbers Defence.

Stage 8 Claim a Judge obviously hates your band, your style of music, your internet personality rather than admit that it may be the song you have submitted that hasn’t garnered the reaction you hoped for.

Stage 9 If eliminated, contain fury and rage long enough to try and bow out gracefully. Say you will continue posting in the thread / follow the songs / compete along for your own pleasure, and what a joy it has been (the See You Next Year defence) then spectacularly fail to do so.

If not eliminated don’t forget to say how this has been the best year ever for judges / reviewing / song quality. (the Say You Next Year defence).

Stage 10 Repeat until eliminated / win the competition.
"I'd like to see 1984 redubbed with this in the soundtrack."- Furrypedro.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

j$ wrote: I also can'[t remember (Niv may be able to clarify) - XTRG's 'The Nicest Part of Town Is Also the Darkest' (sic) was a think a judge-band - Noah(?), Roymond, Niv, myself and one other who has completely gone from my recall. It may have been something that we worked on as the contest continued - then again, I am not entirely sure those four people have been part of the judging team at the same time ...

j$
You are correct, sir.
https://niveous.bandcamp.com/track/the- ... he-darkest
Lunkhead wrote:The year Erin and I judged, I did a collab after called "Judgeblood", with Niveous and Puce:
That was fun.
https://niveous.bandcamp.com/track/in-the-valley
"I'd like to see 1984 redubbed with this in the soundtrack."- Furrypedro.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Lunkhead »

So wait, are you guys saying it's not just me that's has gone/is going through those stages?! I feel much better now.
iVeg
Mean Street
Submitting as: inflatable vegetables

Post by iVeg »

There are two stage fours :) If anybody told me stage 9, I didn't listen very well.
facebook.com/ivegband
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

They're concurrent.
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs

Post by HeuristicsInc »

reviews written quite some time ago and forgotten to post. sorry if my news came too late.

73 - i really like that vocal. It reminds me of some 60’s psychedelic pop stuff. Why would your significant other quote the hendrix song? I’m not sure that would come up in a normal voicemail… but i like everything else about it. Actually i’d like to hear a little more change in the chorus, if that bit with the title in it is the chorus.
Balance - digging those sounds in the intro. The bit about curing, it sounds kind of awkwardly phrased to me. I like how you did both mondegreen versions in the same song, bonus points. The lyric goes along well with the title.
Bss - lots of mondegreens! Some of them stretch a bit, not sure somebody would really hear that… but it’s fun anyway. Good chorus.
Cave - this chorus is hard to sing along to. Hmm, this is another one i don’t necessarily believe. Why would somebody say that in a love song? Lyrics need more lead-in to why you’d use that line, something about randomness or gambling or something.
Glenn - well, i could hear this was glenn from the guitar sound right away. I never heard this douche one before, but here it is in at least two songs… this one is quite singable. Similar to bss, fun factor from number of mondegreens. Very nice bridge.
Jerk - ostensibly misheard and sense of the absurd is a good rhyme. I’d like more flesh on the story, like what happened when you misheard? Did you sing the song with the wrong lyrics to a girl and she laughed at you?
Merisan - is this mondegreen central enough to the story? Or is there something else i’m missing? Nice music and really enjoyed the wordless bits -> solo part. Don’t like it as much as your others in the competition.
Micah - this is quite good: “But listeners are co-creators / Supplying meaning, even when they have misheard“ huh, 3 douches. Let her sing the words wrong, good stuff.
Nick - this drum beat doesn’t seem to have much to do with the rest of the song, it’s all fast and your other parts are not. This mismatch is making it difficult to listen for me. Also, i don’t think it’s changing at all… i don’t know this original song so i’m not sure what to make of the lyrics.
Strangelove - this mondegreen seems kinda subtle, and not so central. I mean, there isn’t much made of the actual line, just the original, right? Digging the combination of electronic sounds and guitars, though.
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
glennny
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Mandolin, Dobro, Banjo, E-Bow, Glock
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene

Post by glennny »

die 2
dī/
noun
noun: die
singular form of dice.
ARCHITECTURE
the cubical part of a pedestal between the base and the cornice; a dado or plinth.
plural noun: dies
a device for cutting or molding metal into a particular shape.
an engraved device for stamping a design on coins or medals.
Bill, look at the 2nd definition of "die" as a noun. I'm a mechanical engineer, I work with machinists, we have the largest stamping machine along with the largest die in North America at our factory. So talking about a die is very commonplace for me. It didn't occur to me, I might need to explain that line. Especially since it wasn't me who wrote it. "Truth" is a music teacher and choir director, far from that world. You'll see in that context "die" fits right in with the other lyrics. Albeit not successfully poetic, but that's the whole point.

Oh well, thanks for posting the reviews.

Cheers!
Phillipso, Older Brothers, Semolina Pilchards, Zipline , Thank Glennny for the Frisbee, The Odoriferous Valley, The Worldly Self Assurance, Berkeley Social Scene, Very Gentle Knives, Daddy Bop Swing Set, GUNS, The Kraken Lives, Cavedwellers
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs

Post by HeuristicsInc »

I see... still think it's stretching a bit but that's okay.
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas