Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Omnichord, vocals
Recording Method: ZOOM, GarageBand
Submitting as: Lucky Witch & the Righteous Ghost, Virgo Power
Pronouns: she/her

Re: Nur Ein XIII Round Zero "Trial By Fire"

Post by arby »

iVeg wrote:Arby -
It's possible to get a great recording with 1 stereo mic into a recorder. Cowboy Junkies did it with "The Trinity Session". https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Trinity_Session
They had a great room with great acoustics. They had a $9000 Calrec Ambisonic mic into RDAT. They used a PA to boost the vocals. So it's doable :)
Haha, nice. No big deal, then! I'll just run out and duplicate that setup :P
"That organ is piercing my soul" - Adam Adamant
"Lo-fi doom rock isn't my bag at all. I'm trying to imagine this with professional production and played/sung perfectly and I don't think I'd like it much more." - furrypedro
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff
Pronouns: he/him

Post by ken »

arby wrote:
iVeg wrote:Arby -
It's possible to get a great recording with 1 stereo mic into a recorder. Cowboy Junkies did it with "The Trinity Session". https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Trinity_Session
They had a great room with great acoustics. They had a $9000 Calrec Ambisonic mic into RDAT. They used a PA to boost the vocals. So it's doable :)
Haha, nice. No big deal, then! I'll just run out and duplicate that setup :P
Not to hijack this thread too far, but you could use the recorder and garageband to make a multitrack recording. Set up the recorder to track the drums, set up your tempo in garageband and have your drummer play to the click. Move your drum track from the recorder into garageband. Set up your bass player and do the same thing. Line up each track as you import it. You may want to have each person click off four beats before they start to help with this. Repeat for each member of the band. Eventually you'll have all the individual tracks in garageband and you can mix, master, and export your final mix. If this seems like too much, you can try it in groups as well - bass and drums, guitar and omnichord, vocals, etc.
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
iVeg
Mean Street
Submitting as: inflatable vegetables

Post by iVeg »

arby wrote: Haha, nice. No big deal, then! I'll just run out and duplicate that setup :P
There are small keyboard amps with inputs for microphones. You could sing through that to give your vocals the boost you want. You could also cut the other instruments back, or have them adjust their parts or equalization so it clears out some room for the vocals.
facebook.com/ivegband
arby
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Omnichord, vocals
Recording Method: ZOOM, GarageBand
Submitting as: Lucky Witch & the Righteous Ghost, Virgo Power
Pronouns: she/her

Post by arby »

iVeg wrote:
arby wrote: Haha, nice. No big deal, then! I'll just run out and duplicate that setup :P
There are small keyboard amps with inputs for microphones. You could sing through that to give your vocals the boost you want. You could also cut the other instruments back, or have them adjust their parts or equalization so it clears out some room for the vocals.
Our vocals are running through the PA in the rehearsal studio. This week we used the Blue Snowball into Adobe Audition on my little netbook and I think it sounds better. The vocals are still kind of "far back" in the mix though, which might be because I like a lot of reverb. We'll see what people think of our mix this week.
"That organ is piercing my soul" - Adam Adamant
"Lo-fi doom rock isn't my bag at all. I'm trying to imagine this with professional production and played/sung perfectly and I don't think I'd like it much more." - furrypedro
iVeg
Mean Street
Submitting as: inflatable vegetables

Post by iVeg »

@arby looking forward to it!
facebook.com/ivegband