Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Re: Nur Ein XIII Round One "Internet Sensation"

Post by Niveous »

The songs are up!

https://nurein.songlander.com/titles/E4 ... 92CB67C256

Sorry that I'm such a mess right now. Being sick this past week has sucked and my job isn't helping...
"I'd like to see 1984 redubbed with this in the soundtrack."- Furrypedro.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Lunkhead »

Strong batch of songs, great work everybody.
vowlvom
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar, keys, "other"
Recording Method: PC, reaper, ableton
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, Vom Vorton

Post by vowlvom »

Checking out a couple of these now, sounding good! Sorry to see Pepper Jane didn't make it in with a track though.
RangerDenni
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: vocals, piano, drums, bit o’gitfiddle, other noisy stuff
Recording Method: cubase, pianoteq, desperation.
Submitting as: a mysterious presence of quiet silence and apology reverb
Pronouns: She/Her They/Them

Post by RangerDenni »

My product is a special towelette that goes into the very fabric of Cyber-Reality and zaps all problem trolls and everyone on the whole internet who is personally troubling or makes you feel bad about yourself out of the existence of time and space. So really just a simple cleaner. That goes through your monitor. And not your router. Because of magic. :)
"Really interesting how the point you’re making slowly emerges like Martin Sheen from the mud in Apocalypse Now..." ~j$
BoffoYux
Panama
Instruments: Keys, Clunking, SFX and Strings
Recording Method: Audacity, Adobe, and other 'A' titled software
Submitting as: Boffo Yux Dudes

Post by BoffoYux »

RangerDenni wrote:My product is a special towelette that goes into the very fabric of Cyber-Reality and zaps all problem trolls and everyone on the whole internet who is personally troubling or makes you feel bad about yourself out of the existence of time and space. So really just a simple cleaner. That goes through your monitor. And not your router. Because of magic. :)
Now that's a product. We went with the 15 Minutes of Fame purchase, however, it seems to be very expensive, and doesn't work well.
iVeg
Mean Street
Submitting as: inflatable vegetables

Post by iVeg »

I'm listening in bits and fragments throughout the day. I don't know if I can post something for every band. Will try... 5 at a time?

LW&RG - I laughed when I read your list of side effects - even before hearing the song. I can't wait to hear it.

BMac - Guy and his guitar in a small room. I thought "You've partly met next weeks Ambience challenge". Don't forget to post lyrics!
BSS - Great intro. That's Martin singing, right? Love the guitar solo.
BYD - Harmonies - very tasty.
CBJ - Loving those harmonies. [I'm glad I'm not a judge. this week is strong!] My favorite of this group of five.
Cavedwellers - Always expecting complex, solid songs from you. This one starts off deceptively[?] simple

DJRD - Troll be Gone :) This reminds me of 50's - Andrews Sisters?
F&D - Fred from B-52s meets the Runaways "Cherry Bomb"
Grumpy Mike - Robotic Kitty. Loving the bass. Chorus kicks! This is the song I did NOT want to be after. :) My favorite of the five
IVeg ---
Lichenthroat - Wry look at technology and music.

Lookylu - Some cool samples and textures.
LW&RG - Good balance of the instruments. Everything was much clearer this week. Oh wait. Maybe because I'm wearing headphones :) LOVE the side effects.
Mandibles - Gentler than I expected. Nice guitar. This was my favorite of this five, but it was CLOSE.
Matchy Matchy - meta uptempo fun.
Merisan - Heavier textures than I was expecting. Same great vocals and harmonies. [Sigh].
facebook.com/ivegband
iVeg
Mean Street
Submitting as: inflatable vegetables

Post by iVeg »

Nick Soma - New Order plus Sisters of Mercy minus most of the depression.
Owl Chemist - Kicking intro and bass. Liked the nod to the Beach Boys. This one gets my vote for this group - but it was close.
Pigfarmer Jr - Going for the gross out :) Really liked the "Hair Be Gone" part.
R&L - Fun. Post your lyrics, please.
Rob - I liked the flip between major and minor.

Swampy Nethers - "Internet sensation, not hyperbole" Verses had that 1-6m-4-5 1950s chord progression.
Third Cat - Nice intro and I liked the chorus.
Vom Vorton - My favorite of these 3. You really powered out that last chorus!

Minty Handy - Hope you're healing well
Pepper Jane - Missed you. Hope to hear you maybe in the collab round?
facebook.com/ivegband
B Mac
A New Player
Submitting as: B Mac

Post by B Mac »

Hi Guys,
B Mac here, coming to you from Brisbane Australia. I'm new to song fight and a Nur ein virgin ( be gentle). Caravan Ray has raved about song fight for ages, so now I thought I'd jump in and check it out. Just me, my guitar and iPhone. Lovin being part of it and hearing everyone's songs, this is an internet sensation.
Fisher
A New Player
Submitting as: Fisher & Diaz

Post by Fisher »

Hey folks,

I was talking with Diaz the other night, and she mentioned that she was going to play our song for a coworker but before she played the song she asked "You know what soylent green is, right?" and the coworker said that she had no idea what soylent green was. So for anyone else who's like Diaz's coworker, Soylent Green is the imaginary product we're selling, and it's the imaginary product featured in the movie Soylent Green.

Soylent Green trailer
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Fisher wrote:... and the coworker said that she had no idea what soylent green was
Is it ageist that this makes me want to shake my fist at the sky and shout "Damn Millenials!" (It is, I know, I'm sorry.)
arby
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Omnichord, vocals
Recording Method: ZOOM, GarageBand
Submitting as: Lucky Witch & the Righteous Ghost, Virgo Power
Pronouns: she/her

Post by arby »

Amazing that anyone doesn't know what Soylent Green is. What I find disturbing is the product that actually exists now called Soylent. I'm like, "does no one remember that movie and its iconic punch line as shouted by Charlton Heston??!?!"
"That organ is piercing my soul" - Adam Adamant
"Lo-fi doom rock isn't my bag at all. I'm trying to imagine this with professional production and played/sung perfectly and I don't think I'd like it much more." - furrypedro
Fisher
A New Player
Submitting as: Fisher & Diaz

Post by Fisher »

lol, we actually have like a case of chocolate Soylent in the back of the fridge because Diaz brought like a case home because some street team was trying to give away samples and failing so hard that at the end they were just asking people if they wanted whole cases and she took a case, to be nice. I tried one, and it tasted just enough unlike chocolate for me to wish that they were using the recipe from the movie.
RangerDenni
Ice Cream Man

Post by RangerDenni »

Mike (Mr.RangerDen) was in a chili cookoff once at his old job with some coworkers. They named their chili Soylent Red.

They didn't win. :?
"Really interesting how the point you’re making slowly emerges like Martin Sheen from the mud in Apocalypse Now..." ~j$
arby
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Omnichord, vocals
Recording Method: ZOOM, GarageBand
Submitting as: Lucky Witch & the Righteous Ghost, Virgo Power
Pronouns: she/her

Post by arby »

Fisher wrote:lol, we actually have like a case of chocolate Soylent in the back of the fridge because Diaz brought like a case home because some street team was trying to give away samples and failing so hard that at the end they were just asking people if they wanted whole cases and she took a case, to be nice. I tried one, and it tasted just enough unlike chocolate for me to wish that they were using the recipe from the movie.
haha, nice
"That organ is piercing my soul" - Adam Adamant
"Lo-fi doom rock isn't my bag at all. I'm trying to imagine this with professional production and played/sung perfectly and I don't think I'd like it much more." - furrypedro
Manhattan Glutton
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Angst
Recording Method: REAPER

Post by Manhattan Glutton »

If I had a dollar for every one of my songs j$ has called a 90s pastiche, I'd have $1 for every song I've written.

Nur Ein Archives | The New Ugly Podcast
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

B Mac wrote:Hi Guys,
B Mac here, coming to you from Brisbane Australia. I'm new to song fight and a Nur ein virgin ( be gentle). Caravan Ray has raved about song fight for ages, so now I thought I'd jump in and check it out. Just me, my guitar and iPhone. Lovin being part of it and hearing everyone's songs, this is an internet sensation.
gday bmac

Let’s make it an all-Queenslander final this year.

Shame Pepper pulled up stumps early
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Manhattan Glutton wrote:New Ugly Podcast for Round 1
Shout out to Pandora!

Also yeah, what is up with the case sensitive alphanumeric sorting on nurein.songlander.com? BSS should be first. Sad. Mn.s.cGA
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs

Post by HeuristicsInc »

Bss - i’m not that excited by the rhymes here. But i do like when the backing vocals come in. maybe there should be more of that. I like the thneed reference.
Bmac - premium, heh. It’s usually a bad idea to click on banners. I want more variety in the music, but i think you said you just have guitar… instant gratification is good, though.
Byd - i like the vocals better in the second verse than the first. The chorus is cool, too. Love the organ in the solo. I feel like the verse vocals are often weirdly timed. Are you really committed to selling this product? I feel like you’re advertising against it sometimes … ;)
Carlo - oooh love that backing vocal at :45 and the guitar work right after. I do like the “it does not matter” bit. Hmm, not selling so much either, eh? “Lots of shit” heh.
Cave - nice synth and vocals in the verse. The prechorus vocals are a little step down. Good rhymes. The second prechorus is better. I dig the solo. Kanban, an unexpected reference.
Djrd - interesting throwback vocals. 50’s? Love the chorus.
Fisher - love the female vocals here. “Who got the money” and “fence / ingredients” are especially good.
Grumpy - this reminds me of weird al. good chorus. Garfield, eh? Good ending.
Iveg - this is a little awkward. I do like the beach boys bit.
Lichen - are you using a tracker program? I feel like this music is less random than last time. I like the bassline.
Lookylu - interesting rhythm, but it’s hard to hear the important bits. Chorus improves that a bit.
Lwrg - i want the vocals to cut through better. How many doses do you get for $479.76? Good music. The voiceover made me laugh more than once, so that’s good.
Mandibles - sounds like something from the 60s or 70s. Nice sound. Pretty catchy. How did you do the strings? Vocals work together well.
Matchy - this is kinda weird al-ish too. Nur ein fame, eh? Self referent. Am i disgruntled? Unaccountable, for sure.
Merisan - love the music, especially those vocoderish rhythmic bits. The vocals are good, but i feel like something should vary up more eventually. Maybe in the rhythm? Solid though.
Nick - cadence is a little odd. I like the part with “it needs to be applied” - i feel like the vocals work better there. Good ending.
Owl - bronze gold-digger is good. I like the backing beach boys vocals, but i want the chorus to vary more.
Pig - a human sized penis??? Heh. i like the chorus bit, but it is the same thing each time. Vary this up some more. Mostly unfounded is good.
Riddle - i have to admit when i heard this the first time i had no idea what you were singing in the chorus. Now that i am reading the lyrics i can’t remember what it was i thought you were saying. Pretty catchy anyway. You used the wrong “your”. Not fond of the rap.
Rob - i want lyrics! Pretty catchy. Good synths.
Swampy - music is a little muzak. This needs to be more distinctive. I like the reference to interwebs. Also, qvc and hyperbole.
Third - a blue orange will converge with everything? I’m not sure about that. Cool solo, although it’s a little loud.
Vom - chorus is good. Catchy and fun. I like the change in view as it goes on: “the reward is linked to the size of your gift”. Good build to the end.
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
RangerDenni
Ice Cream Man

Post by RangerDenni »

Caravan Ray wrote:Shame Pepper pulled up stumps early
Yes. Yes it is. :(

Also. Greetings and welcome to BMac. Nice to hear you at Nur Ein.
B Mac
A New Player
Submitting as: B Mac

Post by B Mac »

Hey Caravan Ray, great to hear Paul's vocals on that song. You guys have to play that one at the Irish club's next open mic. Dj Ranger Den, I believe you set up the open mic for me in Austin last year. Thanks so much, it was a blast.
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs

Post by HeuristicsInc »

arby wrote:Amazing that anyone doesn't know what Soylent Green is. What I find disturbing is the product that actually exists now called Soylent. I'm like, "does no one remember that movie and its iconic punch line as shouted by Charlton Heston??!?!"
Why is it named Soylent?

We take our name from the novel “Make Room! Make Room!” by Harry Harrison. The book explores the impact of overpopulation in a world with dwindling resources, so a new food is created that is called Soylent, which is made of soy and lentils.
...but it's not?! they know the story but still use the name? i'm baffled.
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
RangerDenni
Ice Cream Man

Post by RangerDenni »

B Mac wrote:Hey Caravan Ray, great to hear Paul's vocals on that song. You guys have to play that one at the Irish club's next open mic. Dj Ranger Den, I believe you set up the open mic for me in Austin last year. Thanks so much, it was a blast.
If I sent you to Heather's Monday at NewWorldeli she's fantastic and nice as pie. I just can never go because I have either class or rehearsals Mondays. I'm sorry I personally missed you but its nice to see you now and Im glad you had fun.