JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Re: Nur Ein IV: Round Three

Post by JonPorobil »

I don't have the wherewithal to actually put together any cover art, but I did manage to make this element, and it would warm the cockles of my heart if someone could incorporate it into the official cover art.

"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

You got it, Jon. I'll put that up tonight (as I have been in desperate need of some cover art).
"I'd like to see 1984 redubbed with this in the soundtrack."- Furrypedro.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
bambamoozle
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: John Kloberdanz, Gizmo Blacksmith, Levittdown, Cloverdance, Rod The Bunman

Post by bambamoozle »

Before I began writing my Round Three song, I took a quick look at the results for Rounds Zero, One and Two. Without getting mathematical about it, I have the worst record for those still in Nur Ein.

:oops:

I once promised to always give you my best, and regardless of my rankings I have done that.

When I saw the title, I thought of the idea of having my whole family wooed by the "silver tongue", and having Jack as the lead rapper. He's 9, and in the last bit he raps twice, playing himself and his younger brother (who's 5 and refused to even try), and it also has my wife Lisa as a guest. Then when TWH mentioned having a guest "rap" on the door, for whatever weird reason I thought of the old Electric Company cartoon that cracked me up when I was a kid.

I don't want to rank entries, but I agree with the masses that signboy deserves the win, fantastic! As in past rounds, there are more great entries than anything, but I also particularly enjoyed Ross and NP.

On the Adam A. issue; I like his entry, but I don't think that lifting off of another song should be considered as having a guest rapper.

Last night I showed Jack where on the internet people can listen to him, and then we clicked on the link so he could hear it. The look on his face was priceless, I think that he thinks that he's a star.
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff
Pronouns: he/him

Post by ken »

Some quick reviews:

Adam Adamant - I really like the laid back music on this track. Too much gratuitous fuck for my taste.

Andrew Reist - This song reminds me of 90s rock for some reason. I like that. This could have been a hit then.

Howl Down the Chimney - This reminds me of that song by Butthole Surfers "Pepper."

Josh Kloberdanz - Funky.

Jon Eric - The chord progression reminds me of the Ewok song.

Nouveau Pauvre - I like your chorus.

Paco del Stinko - That's some funky guitar Paco. I like the vintage vibe of this song.

Ross Durand - Classic Ross with a twist. Somehow I knew you would get Seamus to rap for you. You are also a fine MC, so I'm kind of sorry you didn't also bust a rhyme.

signboy - Very groovy track. I can see why everyone likes this track. Well put together.

Swillington - I like a lot of the elements of this song. I like how it picks up steam later in the song.

Tiny Robots - This track came out really good. I wasn't sure if the Def Author was smoove enough, but I was really wrong. (the buzz is my drum overhead mic which must be busted. I don't even hear it when the rest of the music comes in. I think if you have monitors that hype the top end it sounds worse than it is.)

Todd McHatton - Sounds like you are also going to submit this to songfight this week. Very chill and groovy.

Wreckdom - This is what I want to think of when I think of Wreckdom. Sleazy funky rawk n rawl.

Good work all. I hope to see you in the next round.

Ken
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

The Ewok song?

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff
Pronouns: he/him

Post by ken »

Wait for it...

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/M5XG1nSlxuI&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/M5XG1nSlxuI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
Ross
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Vox, Bass, Tuned glasses, etc...
Recording Method: Logic on a Macbook.
Submitting as: Ross Durand

Post by Ross »

Generic wrote:The Ewok song?
I'm old.
"I don't like this song, but at least it's good." - veGetar Ianra Ge
http://www.rossdurandmusic.com
JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

Thanks for the prompt response... wow. I had not noticed that.

Geoff WreckdoM
Mean Street
Instruments: Theremin
Recording Method: Pabst Blue Ribbon

Post by Geoff WreckdoM »

Wow, lot's of awesome entries this week and tough competition, tuff tough tuff, yikes! I predict there will be a tremendous amount of variety in placings on the lists of the different judges. If we can score high with just one of the judges there'll probably be enough sway all over the place that we can sneak through to next round. Hopefully. Crossing fingers.

No reviews this week, sorry. Spent all my time catching up on neglected life stuff that took a back seat to Nur Ein.

Generic wrote:Glenny seems to be suggesting that Cock and WreckdoM get together... I think that would be tight.
Alright maybe, but I’m gone need a lot of beer first

adamadamant wrote: I basically took the vocal track from another song and reinstrumented it. ...(the song is 'Radio Friendly' by Abdominal, original music by Cut Chemist I think).
See the thing is this rap is already a song, and not just lyrics but there is a rhythm, a pace and even a tune to how he delivers it, so even with all the original music stripped away, I feel your still simply adding to an already existing song, and so I don’t really feel this qualifies as an original composition.
Caravan Ray wrote: I am a disgrace to Nur Ein, I am a disgrace to Songfighting, I am a disgrace to myself. I have no entry this week. Zip. Not a sausage.
Quitting?!! You call yourself “Tex” and your quitting?!! Ain’t no Tex ever quit anything no how, you better not come round here or I shoot that name right off you face, you.
Lunkhead wrote:I vote WreckdoM for unanimous victory.
Woot! Tanks!
Generic wrote: How'd you get the record-scratching noise? Is that a plugin?
WreckdoM pretty much uses FL Studio exclusively, since way back when it was called Fruity Loops and that, my friend, is a little WreckdoM mainstay called the fruity scratcher.
Ross wrote: WreckdoM - forgive me for saying so, but I feel like you guys have grown up a bit since I first started fighting.... I am stretching to hear the title connection.
1. I’ll never forgive you for saying that
2. Soon after getting the title and challenge I had the idea to write a song about Satan granting a loser the ability to charm the ladies. As I wrote it I intended to put the title in one of the lyrics but it never really seemed to lend itself to it. Still, this is indeed the song inspired by the title, and in literal sense, our narrator has a Silver Tongue granted to him by Satan, Satan as well has a Silver Tongue, and so does Jesus as it turns out in a twist ending. Yes that’s not all Satan gives him, but all told I really feel this song matches it’s title despite not actually saying it aloud in the lyrics.

jast wrote: Feels like something is missing in the mix, though... the bridge is sort of lacking punchy rhythm elements, I think.
Yes but it has plenty of other elements in it! Plenty… Well, we did realize there is a bit of redundancy here and thought and talked of what could be done about it, but at the same time you don’t want it to be too busy or detract from the lyrics so, it’s a tricky balance sometimes.
ken wrote: Wreckdom - This is what I want to think of when I think of Wreckdom. Sleazy funky rawk n rawl.
Thanks! We’ve had listeners use the adjective “funky” on this one and I just love that. I’m so white the sun wears MeBlock, if I can merely scrape funky I’m happy.
"perhaps the most offensive and disturbing image I've ever heard in a song" - Hans Gruber
Ross
Jump

Post by Ross »

Geoff WreckdoM wrote: 2. Soon after getting the title and challenge I had the idea to write a song about Satan granting a loser the ability to charm the ladies. As I wrote it I intended to put the title in one of the lyrics but it never really seemed to lend itself to it. Still, this is indeed the song inspired by the title, and in literal sense, our narrator has a Silver Tongue granted to him by Satan, Satan as well has a Silver Tongue, and so does Jesus as it turns out in a twist ending. Yes that’s not all Satan gives him, but all told I really feel this song matches it’s title despite not actually saying it aloud in the lyrics..
I did not mean to imply that you did not write the song for this round or title - merely expressing my listening experience. I totally get your explanation and have no problem with songs without the title in them (like my Shadenfreude).

But since you'll never forgive me anyway - it probably wasn't worth clarifying that...;-)
Geoff WreckdoM
Mean Street
Instruments: Theremin
Recording Method: Pabst Blue Ribbon

Post by Geoff WreckdoM »

No, I meant never forgive you (joke) for saying we've grown up. I simply refuse to grow up, it's why i live in Austin.
"perhaps the most offensive and disturbing image I've ever heard in a song" - Hans Gruber
JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

It's true. Like, 99% of the people down here are stuck in a state of arrested development. It's the best and worst thing about this town.

Ross
Jump

Post by Ross »

Hey Niv - a bunch of us are squatting - should we hit the sac or do you think something will be up tonight?

Niveous
Beat It

Post by Niveous »

Ross wrote:Hey Niv - a bunch of us are squatting - should we hit the sac or do you think something will be up tonight?

I'm missing one of the judge's scores. It's 1 in the morning here, so I'm calling it a night. Hopefully the missing score will be here in the morning.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
bambamoozle
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: John Kloberdanz, Gizmo Blacksmith, Levittdown, Cloverdance, Rod The Bunman

Post by bambamoozle »

Generic wrote:
While we all wait for the results, I thought I would just mention that I think this is hysterical! Well done!
Niveous
Beat It

Post by Niveous »

Niveous wrote:
Ross wrote:Hey Niv - a bunch of us are squatting - should we hit the sac or do you think something will be up tonight?

I'm missing one of the judge's scores. It's 1 in the morning here, so I'm calling it a night. Hopefully the missing score will be here in the morning.
Updates coming shortly.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
ujnhunter
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, Crummy Guitar & Animal Noises (especially Donkeys)
Recording Method: Reaper 5.9x, Tascam FireOne/Behringer UMC202HD/Avid Eleven Rack/Line 6 UX2, Win 7 PC / Win 10 Laptop
Submitting as: Cock, Chth*.*, D.A.H. (Der Alter Hahn)
Pronouns: His Infernal Majesty

Post by ujnhunter »

i don't believe it... it cannot be!
-Ujn Hunter
Photovoltaik - Free 6 Track EP - Song Fight! Liner Notes
Billy's Little Trip wrote:I must have this....in my mouth.....now.
reve
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Soldering iron.
Recording Method: Reaper.
Submitting as: R., Chth*.*, etc.

Post by reve »

ujnhunter wrote:i don't believe it... it cannot be!
Seriously fucked up.
-- reve mosquito.
JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

I did not see that one coming.

Sorry, Teplin. I never thought I'd outlast you.

Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Basic rock, at a basic level.
Recording Method: Roland 2480
Submitting as: Paco del Stinko

Post by Paco Del Stinko »

Congrats to the gents from WreckdoM! And I am surprised that I placed as highly as I did, surely it must've been my superstar guest. Thanks, MC Sangwich! NUR EIN!!!!
Bringin' the stink since 2006.
Ross
Jump

Post by Ross »

Wow - Sorry to see folks go but happy to be staying. I did not expect some of this.

Thanks Sydney, Steve, and Seamus for the performances!!

Nur Ein!!!!
furrypedro
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Guitar, programming
Recording Method: Cubase, Reason
Submitting as: Balance Lost

Post by furrypedro »

Rone Rivendale wrote:After the 1st listen I have to say this is the worst round so far. No offensive to any of the entrants. The non-optional challange obviously threw alot of you off.
Generic wrote:I did not see that one coming.

Sorry, Teplin. I never thought I'd outlast you.
Objectivity out the window for just a second; Rone you talk some shit sometimes.

I'm surprised at my fellow judges cold reception to Teplin's music. Personally I thought he delivered a solid and inventive track every round and yet he consistently ranked pretty low. [/chin stroking]

reviews for you all!

Adam Adamant: Apparently we've disqualified you, which sucks cos this is fun, the tuneage in the backing track is well good and Abdominal rules. But hey, you stole some words, what can we do? Read the forums and warn against stealing words is one thing we can do, buuuuut....I'd rather be doing something else.

Andrew: I like this song. Hmmm, I suppose the "rap" works in the context of the song, it fulfills the "guest" bit, not so sure about the "rap" part. I won't quibble over what is a rap and what's not, but I will knock you down a position for not having some badass lyrical flow.

Howl Down The Chimney: That was a sample right? Or was it Jan. With regards to the rest of the song the sounds are all brilliant, I can't decide if I like it or not. It reminds me of Buck 65 the way you create the atmosphere ("Spread 'Em" for example). The story is pretty good, fits with the music, yeah actually I do dig and I'm impressed with your genre-hopping. I think it would probably freak me out listening to this too many times, so I think you've acheived the desired effect. I really like the muffled industrial beat behind the ansaphone message. In retrospect I wish I'd ranked you just one place higher so you'd still be in this but that's the way it goes I suppose. I assume you're in the "I Am A Target" fight with this one too, I'll be voting for it.

John Kloberdanz: Plumbers. Life's a bitch huh. The words are good here, what lets it down is that the music just doesn't do enough. It's just the same riff over and over.

Jon Eric: I kind of don't wanna rank you high cos your cheesy sounds are starting to piss me off, but you can write, and you rinsed the challenge. Nothin else to say.

Nouveau Pauvre: Masterful bass, love the distorted riffs and the clean bit in the middle is sweet. Your voice is mostly brilliant, it's mainly in the chorus when you go up a gear that you lose me, you lose the sultry effect which I think works best for you. Challenge fulfillment helped me (but not you unfortunately) with the rankings, I don't think you did a brilliant job. I like that you got it in Japanese but just saying sorry over and over is a bit weak.

Paco: Beastie Boys stylee! wicked. and rock! Song doesn't rock my world, s'good but s'not magic.

Ross Durand: I love the image of a new born Steve playing the trumpet. I'm kind of down on this song, it's so generic and I'm beginning to tire of hearing this from you (I'll dig again next week probably). You clearly have an abundance of willing guests, you've saved the best for last and it's all pretty integral to the song. The 2nd "boom, slap, clap" bit is way cool. Nice ending.

Signboy: This is wicked. When I listen closely the sounds aren't as cool as Howl Down The Chimney but you use what you've got really well. You've got the atmosphere and all the vocals are spot on. The "not above ducking the hand that feeds pain line" is cool. Real good job.

Swilington: That's the intro to "Exit Does Not Exist" is it not? you sir, are the man. Hahaha, if you're gonna steal one beat why not steal a bunch. The change seemed kind of arbitrary at the time but I can see what you were going for now. This song is cool, not amazing but I like it. The rap is kind of buried and it's a bit cookie cutter.

Tiny Robots: The rap here is solid, the song is....solid, but it bores me silly. Even the double time and bongos/tabla/whatever can't hold my interest.

Todd McHatton: I listened to this so many times and it spectacularly failed to leave any kind of impression on me. The song doesn't do a single thing, just drifts by and leaves me with a feeling of having wished I'd listened to something else. Admittedly this was a strong bunch of songs, but considering how good your previous songs were this is a severe disappointment.

Wreckdom: Can't get bored of this, absolutely mixtape worthy. Sounds amazing, funny shit.