Nur Ein IV Round Four "What Once Was Grand

There can be only one.
Ross
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Vox, Bass, Tuned glasses, etc...
Recording Method: Logic on a Macbook.
Submitting as: Ross Durand

Re: Nur Ein IV: Round Four

Post by Ross »

I would just like to say thanks to judge number 4.
"I don't like this song, but at least it's good." - veGetar Ianra Ge
http://www.rossdurandmusic.com
frankie big face
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, Bass, Guitar, Saxophone, Flute, Keyboard, Violin, Other Stuff
Recording Method: Logic, UAD Apollo Twin, aging iMac
Submitting as: frankie big face

Post by frankie big face »

I would thank any judge who posts comments about the songs. (Thank you glennny!)
Ross
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Vox, Bass, Tuned glasses, etc...
Recording Method: Logic on a Macbook.
Submitting as: Ross Durand

Post by Ross »

frankie big face wrote:I would thank any judge who posts comments about the songs. (Thank you glennny!)
Quite right and seconded - reviews are much appreciated!
"I don't like this song, but at least it's good." - veGetar Ianra Ge
http://www.rossdurandmusic.com
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

I'm sorry that I haven't been able to step up with a lot of reviews. Life has been weird and busy as of late. I'll see what I can do.
"I'd like to see 1984 redubbed with this in the soundtrack."- Furrypedro.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
frankie big face
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, Bass, Guitar, Saxophone, Flute, Keyboard, Violin, Other Stuff

Niveous wrote:I'm sorry that I haven't been able to step up with a lot of reviews. Life has been weird and busy as of late. I'll see what I can do.
Alternately, you can just tell us we're awesome. That's all we're really after anyway. :D
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin
Pronouns: he/him

Post by roymond »

Reïst wrote:
ken wrote:I'd like to suggest this as a definition:
A B C D
I will gladly accept that as a definition.
Zappa's Evelyn the Modified Dog?

Genesis' Here Comes The Supernatural Anesthetist comes close.

Happiness Is A Warm Gun is even better. Mostly.
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
Thanks For The Frisbee
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: mine
Recording Method: wishful thinking
Submitting as: Thanks for the Frisbee

Post by Thanks For The Frisbee »

you are all awesome :D

im the worst about reviews lately. sorry. also i dont have much computer time. this last round was probably my favorite so far. scoring is difficult for me because a lot of these songs are so close in greatness.

yes some stuff does suck, but very little :wink:
Thanks for the frisbee is on Spotify, iTunes, Apple Music ect.
frankie big face
Ice Cream Man

Sadly, I'm just now getting to listen to these songs (a reward for finishing my Round 5 song early). Lots of good stuff but my favs are definitely Todd McHatton (lovely!) and Wreckdom (you can't beat a banjo play a raised 4th--if I heard it correctly). Good round everyone.
frankie big face
Ice Cream Man

For those of you who liked my song this week, but didn't like the ear-splitting volume, here is a replacement that should spare your speakers and/or ears. Let me know if it's not better.

http://www.frankiebigface.com/music/wowg.mp3
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

My friend Jeff posted some reviews in the news section of my website, and with his permission, I'm now pasting those reviews here.

If you feel inclined to take umbrage at them, just recall that he's my close friend, and he would have eliminated me. :)
Jeff wrote: Well, I enjoyed your entry on its own, but it is weak compared to your entries in past rounds. I'm not an official judge, though. :) After listening to the others I'd say this was the first time I liked the majority of the songs.

--from best to worst this round--

[BEST] Tiny Robots - had me interested from the opening chord, while difficult to hear the singer at times the lyrics are engaging, tricky to make an "ooooh" chorus work but it's fine here somehow, overall quite good (as expected) especially the music

Swillington - really opens up and rolls at forty seconds in, great music that never overpowers the vocals, a few rough spots in the "spoken" section don't manage to drag it down

Ross Durand - really fun twist on the last line of King Kong, maybe an overuse of the song title at times, music has a nice tone throughout, high prod. quality

Nouveau Pauvre - creative opening, clear voice, "oooh" chorus doesn't really work well and seems like padding on an already short song, with more lyrics of the same quality as what's here, this could be so much better yet what was there really impressed me

Todd McHatton - very crisp beat, lyrics remind me of Pinocchio, for what that's worth, good enunciation, runs out of new phrases near the end yet finishes strong

Frankie Big Face - I wanted to like this a lot more, but why the low-fi grunge noises so much, Frankie? I can't hear your wonderful voice! sticks to what it does properly, for those who enjoy this kind of sound

Andrew Reist - the story this one tells isn't fantastic but some excellent notes and the music works just right behind the vocals, at least until the last 30 seconds of grunge

Jon Eric - great narrative of genus loci yet the vocals are much too quiet so it sounds strained, the music is very calming but not as engaging as some of your other work

Paco Del Stinko - interesting lyrics weakened by style of presentation, especially the track is way too quiet (intentional?), couldn't figure out the theme first time through

[WORST] Signboy - driving music at first glance but lyrics sound muddy, after the first minute it gets insipid due to everything being on the same level and the music never varies, I zoned out after 90 seconds
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
frankie big face
Ice Cream Man

The mix and mastering of my "What Once Was Grand" always bothered me so here's my most recent effort to make it better:

http://www.frankiebigface.com/music/wowg-remix.mp3

Let me know if this is more to your liking, Jon Eric. :P

I may submit more of these remixes if this one gets a positive response. This was a good Nur Ein for me in terms of songwriting, but not so much in terms of production.
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

Indeed, much improved!

:D

Thanks, Frankie!
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages