Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots
Pronouns: he/him

Re: Nur Ein IV: Final Round

Post by Lunkhead »

I like both these songs. Good strong finales for you guys, and congrats again on making it to the finals.

Reist:
I liked: drumming, guitar solo and whole solo section, aah aah backup vocals, source of light part (feels like the real chorus of the song)
I wasn't that into: falsetto (I think you're way overusing it in general, to be honest), guitar tone, music not really throwing me any surprises

FBF:
Pros: high energy A part, keyboard arpeggios, backing vocals (especially in the outro, is that JB in there somewhere?), spoken part, lyrics in general, piano, outro
Cons: off center main vocals (minor detail), change to B part of song feels a little anticlimactic after the A part, effects on "source of the light" vocals, plugged in acoustic, fuzzy/distorted sound of mix of outro

Good luck to you both. I can't wait to find out who wins, though it's hard to believe another Nur Ein is almost over.
frankie big face
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, Bass, Guitar, Saxophone, Flute, Keyboard, Violin, Other Stuff
Recording Method: Logic, UAD Apollo Twin, aging iMac
Submitting as: frankie big face

Post by frankie big face »

Lunkhead wrote:backing vocals (especially in the outro, is that JB in there somewhere?)
No JB, but special thanks to Elaine DiMasi and Roymond for contributing parts! Glad you like the spoken word. I wanted J$ to do it, but our schedules didn't work out and I ended up doing my own ridiculous English accent.

Lunkhead wrote:Cons: plugged in acoustic
You know, I almost re-recorded the acoustic, but I actually kind of liked the sound of it plugged in (I usually don't) so I kept it. It was a scratch track I recorded when working with the drummer and I just liked the clarity of it.
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

Okay, official reviews:

Frankie - Yeah, the mix in the first half isn't very clean, and the melody doesn't make a very good first impression, but it really sticks with me. It feels like the guitar in the opening comes in just off beat, either too early or too late; I might have had an easier time getting into it if you'd waited until the word "well" to blast us with the music.

Hey, I'm a big fan of augmented chords, so any pop song that makes such creative use of them can't be that bad. Everyone's hating on that acoustic tone, but I like it here. Especially because of the relief it provides from the previously cluttered mix. This coda section is epic; it really soars. The choir vocals give it that great campfire feel, and wrap up an epic journey beautifully. I really love this song. Brilliant work.

Reist - It's mean, but when you sing "I'm feeling like I might just be the only one / to feel this way about someone," my kneejerk reaction is to say "No you're not." I have a hard time getting into lyrics themed so broadly. The instrumentation and the mix are both enormous in this track, and your performance really feels like you're throwing yourself into this final sprint. It seems like these days, pretty much every two songs I review in the regular fights I wind up complaining about the lackluster vocals. They should listen to what you've been doing. You really throw yourself into it.

The shredding guitars and the drums are both excellent (those snare fills in the bridge in particular stand out to me), and the mix is huge, even when I turn the volume down. That's impressive. And when you bring in the backup vocals for the bridge, it's exactly the kind of twist I've been pining for in your music. I wish more of your songs had this kind of complexity in their mixes. You made this decision much harder than I thought it would be, and you deserve many congratulations for that.

In summary:
You might be able to guess my vote from these reviews. Maybe not. I think I'll hold off on the big reveal until after the results come out.

NUR EIN!!!!!!!
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
Ross
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Vox, Bass, Tuned glasses, etc...
Recording Method: Logic on a Macbook.
Submitting as: Ross Durand

Post by Ross »

Thoughts. Congrats to the finalists. I look forward to the results and am already looking forward to next year.

Reist - nice big rock song - the kick-in is nice. The words aren’t coming through especially on the “you know that we’re all...” part. I like your balls-out vocals. “Shame fame/left for dead/cause I’m sane” I have no idea what that means. “Follow me” is an okay change up, but I wish you had changed the color of the backing tracks there too. The choral backing is good. Drums are doing a lot for the song. Pretty static arrangement. I remember feeling this way (except for the chorus words).

Frankie - God this opening stuff rubs me the wrong way - and it is totally visceral - like a nervous system reaction. I just want to turn it off - I am going to try to get past it and give a decent view of it. I can’t fight the feeling that to me both the lyrics and music feels a bit forced - the mix distracts me as well. It feels a bit frantic as well. I like the “Source of the light” part. The acoustic sound seems not up to par with the rest of the track. The coda is cool - but I wish there was more lyrical sense getting there. “It’s not getting what you want/It’s Wanting what you’ve got.” Well performed and I like the varied arrangement.
"I don't like this song, but at least it's good." - veGetar Ianra Ge
http://www.rossdurandmusic.com
Rabid Garfunkel
Jump
Instruments: Absurdity
Recording Method: iPhone, GarageBand & rando apps/toys
Submitting as: OZYMANDIPUS, Rabid Garfunkel, Primitive Screwheads
Pronouns: that guy

Post by Rabid Garfunkel »

Billy's Little Trip wrote:You have multiple assholes? Image
I'se gots a sphincter at each end, just like you. :lol:
"Urban cartoon music." -- Paco Del Stinko
Be my friend? --- Song of the Day
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band

Post by jb »

Maybe this duel is just another case of other people getting something that takes a bypass around my sensibility.

I gotta say, Reist's song doesn't do anything for me at all. It's nice and loud, and the mixing is better than previous entries, but the hooks don't hook me, the torn-up vocal tone sounds strained, the lyrics seem unfocused and second-drafty, and the arrangement sounds the same the whole way through. It sounds like an overprocessed reject from In Utero, and I don't like it. I liked your "Sleep Tight", so it's not like you never do anything I like, man, but this one leaves me cold.

Frank's is so catchy and grand that it more than makes up for a flawed mix. Overloud intro, odd stereo field on the lead vox, plugged in acoustic-- big deal! Maybe the mix unfortunately has a pet-peeve for each of you guys, but I invite you to get over it. Interesting lyrics, catchy hummable melodies, harmonies and backing vox are really what matter. It's like Muse crossed with ELO crossed with Bowie crossed with Fountains of Wayne, and I dig it and it's the better song this week in my opinion.

I'm not in this competition, but I'm a listener and looking over the reviews of this round I just had to speak up.

JB
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
glennny
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Mandolin, Dobro, Banjo, E-Bow, Glock
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene

Post by glennny »

Great songs to end with guys!

I have no vote.

Throughout this competition I've thought that Reist has had the most passion of all the contestants. I think Frankie is a better singer, but I think Reist is singing his ass off. Reist gets the points on rock power. Frankie gets points on production. I don't hear all the problems everyone is talking about. I think the mix sounds great. Were this a vote of cumulative 8 song albums I would probably lean towards Frankie. However, since it is final song vs. final song, I think Reist nailed it.

Although I love the Frankie song, I love the 1st 2 minutes a lot, and I think it wimps out. I think change is good, and that was a good time to change it up, but it went from cool and interesting and rocking to Captain Obvious Beatles John Lennon fan, with the weakest lyrics for the ending. The big array of vocals makes it fun to listen to, but for me you had me and lost me.

Reist, it just rocks from beginning to end. I suppose I don't really care for the guitar tone, and everything is tragically a little too grunge, but the drums are so killer! It's so nice to hear someone sing like a rockstar. The guitar frills are awesome. This is a tough call but my worthless vote would go to Reist.
Phillipso, Older Brothers, Semolina Pilchards, Zipline , Thank Glennny for the Frisbee, The Odoriferous Valley, The Worldly Self Assurance, Berkeley Social Scene, Very Gentle Knives, Daddy Bop Swing Set, GUNS, The Kraken Lives, Cavedwellers
bambamoozle
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: John Kloberdanz, Gizmo Blacksmith, Levittdown, Cloverdance, Rod The Bunman

Post by bambamoozle »

Since so many are making their votes public, I'll do the same.

I voted for Reist.

I don't analyze songs like many of you, I just liked it more. Both songs were really strong and A-gamish, but I just liked it more.

I'm a big picture guy. I gots nothing else for you tonight.

Nur Ein!
adamadamant
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: None
Recording Method: Answer phone messages

Post by adamadamant »

Just got back from holiday the other day, congrats to Frankie and Reist for making it to the final.

Two good songs I thought, but my vote went to FBF. I enjoyed his songs throughout nur ein and this one was fantastic. I must be a sucker for Jon Lennon fans.
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Well, since we're making votes public, my 1/3rd of a vote went to Frankie, in spite of the plugged-in acoustic guitar. :P
Spud
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, eHorn
Submitting as: Octothorpe

Post by Spud »

Congratulations, Frank.
"I only listen to good music. And Octothorpe." - Marcus Kellis
Song Fight! The Rockening
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Congrats Frankie! Congrats to Reist for making the finals. Many thanks to Niveous for holding another exciting Nur Ein and to the judges for all their work. Who's ready to make this semi-annual? ;)
frankie big face
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, Bass, Guitar, Saxophone, Flute, Keyboard, Violin, Other Stuff
Recording Method: Logic, UAD Apollo Twin, aging iMac
Submitting as: frankie big face

Post by frankie big face »

Hey, how about that! This is a nice surprise in the morning. I actually thought there was another day of voting so I didn't expect to know the results until tomorrow. Congrats to Reist for being a great competitor and a good sport. I'm proud of this collection of songs and thing they're better than my last two Nur Ein sets so this is very satisfying. Thanks again to everyone who participated and made this so enjoyable and especially thanks to Niveous for creating the greatest sidefight ever.

:D

P.S. Even though she doesn't read the boards, I would be remiss if I didn't thank my wife, who made me go back in the studio at least twice when I was ready to throw in the towel. Thanks Mrs. Big Face!
Ross
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Vox, Bass, Tuned glasses, etc...
Recording Method: Logic on a Macbook.
Submitting as: Ross Durand

Post by Ross »

Congratulations Mr. Big Face! It was a pleasure Ein!ing with with you and everyone else this year. I guess now you'l get to see what it's like to BE one of those judges!

Thanks niveous and judges - Nur Ein! rules
"I don't like this song, but at least it's good." - veGetar Ianra Ge
http://www.rossdurandmusic.com
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Basic rock, at a basic level.
Recording Method: Roland 2480
Submitting as: Paco del Stinko

Post by Paco Del Stinko »

Attaboy, Big Face! Great job and deserved as well. And I too tip my hat to Andrew for delivering some of his most passionate and best songs in the three years I've been here. Also big thanks to Niveous and the judges for all of the grunt work they put in. Much appreciated and well done, peoples!

At Lunkhead: I'm not sure if I like the idea of semi-annually or not. Maybe it'd build up the anticipation, new ideas and artists, a lot of whatevers, but I also enjoy knowing it's coming around annually, like spring, or summer. (for those of us that have four seasons :) ) Be interested in what people think, though, certainly. Regardless: NUR EIN!
Bringin' the stink since 2006.
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff

Post by ken »

Congrats Frankie! Good game Reist.

Thanks to Niveous for running the show and the WSA for making what I feel is one of the most challenging Nur Eins yet.

Let's all get back to putting this kind of energy into Songfight proper!

Ken
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

Congratulations, Frankie! There was definitely a point where I was reading the reviews and thought for sure that Reist would get more votes. Enjoy your well-earned victory; I think I speak for the rest of us when I say that it'll be a pleasure to be judged by you next year.

(Yes, Frankie got my vote as well.)

To Lunkhead: I don't know if semiannual would be the best idea for Nur Ein, though I'd be interested in seeing something similar later in the year. Someone in the chat room had the idea to do something similar in structure to Nur Ein, but without the eliminations. So the person or band with the highest score at the end wins.

Not sure who'd want to run that, and the judging would be more of a chore, but it's a neat idea.

Anyways. Also congratulations to Reist for really stepping it up this competition. Each of your eight songs has been better than anything you've done before them. Bring this power to Songfight entries, and you might wind up with some serious wins under your belt.

Great fight, everyone.

NUR EIN!!!!!!!

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

Generic wrote:something similar in structure to Nur Ein, but without the eliminations.
NUR FUNFUNDZWANSIG!!!
Reist
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Drums, Guitar
Recording Method: Yamaha AW1600, Reaper
Submitting as: Therman

Post by Reist »

Awww, nearly unanimous? :lol:

As much as I would have liked to win, I humbly and gratefully accept my place in second. Congrats Frankie, your song this week was fantastic, and thanks to Niv for running this four years consecutively. There's been some great songs, and I know I'm enjoying the ones I made for it - and for that, I thank you. Thanks to the judges for keeping me in so long - there were a few rounds where I was sure I'd be eliminated, so thanks for the votes - otherwise I wouldn't have these new songs under my belt, right?

As for holding the nur ein twice a year, it might be a bit much work for niveous (considering the work he puts into the annual one). I'd say if we have a similar competition (the one based on points sounds pretty cool) it should be run by others as a less official sidefight, if only for Niv's sake. then again, maybe I shouldn't speak for Niv and see if he wants to do it, who knows? :P

As for the wins gaining you points, does anybody else think it would be cool if you could throw some of your points into a pot for a chance at more points at the end of the round? I don't know exactly how it would work, but I think the points could be more interactive this way.
JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

So like.... you can choose to accept 50% of the points you earned this round for a chance at doubling whatever you happen to earn next round? ...Interesting.

Reist
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Drums, Guitar
Recording Method: Yamaha AW1600, Reaper
Submitting as: Therman

Post by Reist »

Generic wrote:So like.... you can choose to accept 50% of the points you earned this round for a chance at doubling whatever you happen to earn next round? ...Interesting.
Not exactly what I was thinking, but it would work a lot better than the way I had it in my head. :lol:

Or even ... give up half of the points you've got (in total) for a chance to double your score. Something like that.
Teplin
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Bowed guitar and an excess of reverb
Recording Method: Reaper
Submitting as: Howl Down the Chimney, Humboat, Make Spoons Not Knives

Post by Teplin »

I remember that conversation on IRC. I think it would be really interesting... adifferent dynamic than Nur Ein because someone can't be knocked out of it completely just for having an off week, or hardware failure (like happened to BLT). They wouldn't get any points for the round, but they'd still be in it and could rally in the next round. The final result would be more about how participants did throughout, rather than everything hinging on one final song.

There were some other fun ideas kicked around too. Different types of challenges. A round where participants are assigned random (or non-random?) collaborations with each other. Rotating the judges... or even having the participants judge each other. As an incentive, if you don't turn in your rankings, you only get half of your own points.

The points gambling might be tricky to set up, but could be really interesting. I like Jon's version of it the best so far.