Nur Ein VI Round Zero "First Blood"

There can be only one.
Manhattan Glutton
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Angst
Recording Method: REAPER

Re: Nur Ein VI: Round Zero

Post by Manhattan Glutton »

Do you pronounce it "lee-tray"? Because that's what I think when I see litre.
If I had a dollar for every one of my songs j$ has called a 90s pastiche, I'd have $1 for every song I've written.

Nur Ein Archives | The New Ugly Podcast
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

frankie big face wrote:
roymond wrote:
BoffoYux wrote:I had a quick technical question - I thought the song title didn't have to be in the song lyrics, but the subject matter needed to be addressed as well as the challenge. Am I off in this assumption?
There's no rule about the song title being in the lyrics. But don't make it too obtuse or you'll end up defending yourself in the boards. And you saw where that got Frankie.
I don't get your reference.
Yeah, the one that really got bitten by that sentiment was Bram.

Anyways, BYD, you don't need to actually SAY the title in your lyrics, but if nobody can figure out the connection, they'll count off.
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
Ross
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Vox, Bass, Tuned glasses, etc...
Recording Method: Logic on a Macbook.
Submitting as: Ross Durand

Post by Ross »

Caravan Ray wrote:
BoffoYux wrote:I had a quick technical question - I thought the song title didn't have to be in the song lyrics, but the subject matter needed to be addressed as well as the challenge. Am I off in this assumption?
No - you are correct.

And IMHO - since the repetition of the title can sometimes become annoying over 20+ songs - it is often a good idea to avoid using the title in the lyrics where possible
This is an interesting area, the idea appears to be that the title of the song should be "Colour Blind," there is no prescribed subject matter for the song. It has been historically true that the title need not be in the song, and overuse can be irritating, as C Ray points out above. But i know at least one of the judges has preferred, in Song Fight! proper, to have the title in the words, i think i have even lost his vote for that reason in the past. So keep in mind that every judge has their own rankings and their own standards for the role of the title in the creation of the song. That having been said, it is nice that a few of the judges were quick to chime in with responses to your question. And i'm not a judge, so if you wish, you can ignore this post completely.

Nur Ein!
"I don't like this song, but at least it's good." - veGetar Ianra Ge
http://www.rossdurandmusic.com
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

Caravan Ray wrote: I really hope Paco and Jon have not tried to slip any porkies past me in my current ignorance of their subject matter. Rest assured, I will be researching every line thoroughly. They wont get away with anything.
Full disclosure, then:
I used several forms of names that were either inconsistent or not particularly common, and I took certain "facts" that are probable but not certain and stated them as definite fact.

Tikal only probably dispatched a team to investigate.
Yax K'uk Mo' only probably married into nobility to become the first King of Copán.
The town of Oxwitik was only probably the municipality that my song is about. As such, it's uncommon for archaeologists to refer to it as Oxwitik; everyone just calls it by its Spanish name, Copán.
Tikal and Quirigua are both Spanish names, whereas elsewhere I used Mayan names.
Uaxaclajuun Ub'aah K'awiil only probably installed K'ak' Tiliw Chan Yopaat.
Uaxaclajuun Ub'aah K'awiil is rarely referred to by his natural Mayan name (probably because it's so unwieldly, as I learned the hard way whilst singing this number), and he would certainly never be referred to as "K'awiil," as I do near the end of the end of verse 2. He is referred to in mosts texts nowadays by the English translation of his name, "18 Rabbit."
There's no evidence that 18 Rabbit was killed as a ritual human sacrifice. However, it's indisputable that K'ak Tiliw Chan Yopat decapitated him.

Other than that, I'm pretty sure I'm square-on.
Last edited by JonPorobil on Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
BoffoYux
Panama
Instruments: Keys, Clunking, SFX and Strings
Recording Method: Audacity, Adobe, and other 'A' titled software
Submitting as: Boffo Yux Dudes

Post by BoffoYux »

I thought that was the case. We usually toss out the first few ideas on a challenge as the obvious path others will take, and go down a different way. We might lose points on being obtuse, but gain them for originality. Plus I'd rather try to plow some new ground if possible.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

Generic wrote: Full disclosure, then:
... I took certain "facts" that are probable but not certain and stated them as definite fact.
That is acceptable. In fact - I think it is preferable. We want no probables in a singalong chorus.
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

Generic wrote:"18 Rabbit."
There's no evidence that 18 Rabbit was killed as a ritual human sacrifice. However, it's indisputable that K'ak Tiliw Chan Yopat decapitated him.
18 Rabbit = Bandname.
"I'd like to see 1984 redubbed with this in the soundtrack."- Furrypedro.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
glenra
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: Guitar, vocals, mandolin, mountain dulcimer, harmonica
Recording Method: Garageband, Voice Memo
Submitting as: Glen Raphael

Post by glenra »

Caravan Ray wrote:
glenra wrote:
Caravan Ray wrote:Glen Raphael
Major mark down for use of imperial quantities. The world is metric sonny. Move with it. Be this a warning to anyone else who tries to use non-SI units in a song. It is unacceptable. Otherwise, a solid effort that did not grab me particularly.
Yeah, but you try fitting "5.6 liters" into a song lyric... :|

-Glen
It's "litres". Not "liters".
Now you're just being mean. :-)