There can be only one.
Alvis
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: Vox, Keys, Guitar, Cash Register
Recording Method: Digital Performer, Ardour
Submitting as: Boffo Yux Dudes, Alvis, Ultrasaurus, Tone Def

Re: Nur Ein VII

Post by Alvis »

Well, glad to know we at least got A laugh out of you, Niv. We're improving.

The main overriding criticism I seem to be distilling from these contests (which you confirm above) is "less clutter", which is certainly helpful to keep in mind. I won't really address the humor issue since that's obviously subjective, but I agree with your thoughts on pacing. Maybe taking a step back from being the ADD Boys is worth working on.

And BTW, there is no "cheesy MIDI" in our songs. I don't use MIDI; I record analog to the DAW from the keyboard workstation (though I will cop to using the quantizer at times). That's my cheesy PLAYING you're hearing. Apology accepted.
BoffoYux
Panama
Instruments: Keys, Clunking, SFX and Strings
Recording Method: Audacity, Adobe, and other 'A' titled software
Submitting as: Boffo Yux Dudes

Post by BoffoYux »

It's good to know we are improving somewhat. Some of those SpinTunes songs got very surprising reviews from Niv way back when. I was wondering if we were listening to the same songs, but you made me think from a different perspective on them. Thanks for your thoughts on our songs.

I have been noticing we tend to write songs to amuse ourselves, and not necessarily to amuse the audience. Some may call that rude and obnoxious. I say it's a way to avoid pandering to the audience. Once you're comfortable to do your own thing, you'll attract people who like what you do. Once you try and encompass an entire audience, you generally lose everyone.

Perhaps the Necrophilia and demonic songs might narrowcast us with a certain audience, but they made us laugh.
furrypedro
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Guitar, programming
Recording Method: Cubase, Reason
Submitting as: Balance Lost

Post by furrypedro »

Niveous wrote: (Melvin hasn’t really appeared much, has he?).....guitar wankery........Plus Ken showed off a different side of his percussion work incorporating some digital bits.
Thanks for your reviews, Niv. I feel terribly guilty for not posting some reviews myself, but I'm stressed out enough without bringing Nur Ein into the equation so I don't think I'm gonna get any done soon. I apologise for this as I feel it is bad form.

Just some notes in response to your comments:
1 - Sadly, Melvin has not played a part at all this year apart from encouragement from the sidelines.
2 - I had zero input in "The Best Place In Town Is Also The Darkest". Somebody else mentioned it was like BSS with guest noodlers. Nearly right, but without the guest noodlers, just Glennny.
3 - Re: digital percussion - that was me and Ken did the live drums.