There can be only one.
nyjm
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: acoustic guitar, electric guitar, synth, various MIDI instruments
Recording Method: Reaper, Line 6 POD, GLS Audio 57 and 58
Submitting as: noah mclaughlin, Ford's Theater Disaster, Juliet's Happy Dagger

Re: Nur Ein VII: Round Zero

Post by nyjm »

Jefff wrote:Not quite what I'm saying. It's more like getting everything except the one thing the maker really wanted you to get.
Perhaps we should call this phenomenon "The Cool Hand Luke."

"You sound like the ghost of David Bowie." - SchlimminyCricket | it was a pleasure to burn | my website | Juliet's Happy Dagger
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

The judges are exhibiting wonderful taste in movies this week.
"I'd like to see 1984 redubbed with this in the soundtrack."- Furrypedro.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
BoffoYux
Panama
Instruments: Keys, Clunking, SFX and Strings
Recording Method: Audacity, Adobe, and other 'A' titled software
Submitting as: Boffo Yux Dudes

Re: Better late than never?

Post by BoffoYux »

Alvis wrote:
Niveous wrote:
I don’t get BYD’s humor on this one. For instance, the inflection on “She just ran away/ Hire me right now”. Is that supposed to be part of the gag, a Sam Kinison thing?
(Millionaire playboy-turned-crimefighter Tommy G's motivations, however, remain inscrutable as always.)
Niv -

Yes, the honest feedback is appreciated. I don't think you've 'gotten' many of our songs. I remember your first review of our 'Ballad of Henry Pym' - You didn't get it, thought it was long and pretentious, and generally was substandard and plodding. Which it was in parts. We ended up tweaking a new version of that song, did a video, and it was a nominee in the SNOB film festival last year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fb2JnWCPO1s

So I've learned to take the reviews with a grain of salt from everyone. It's all subjective, and if it's not meant to be mean, I try and get some guidance from the thoughts. And if it IS meant to be mean, and it's a good dig, I'll laugh and be impressed with the vitriol.

The 'She Just Ran away' part is meant to be almost anti-humor. The point was the guy can't see social cues to save his life. He's off kilter with his life, and the jokes are the same way. You know they're jokes, but there's no time to actually laugh AT them, just like he can't control his responses to his environment. He means well, but is a total F'up socially.

If you had time to laugh at the jokes, you wouldn't have the awkwardness and feel what's wrong with the guy. So it's not funny 'ha ha'. It's designed to make you feel off. Which is counter to most humor, but fits what we were trying to do with the song.

The guy wants the girl but scares the crap out of her. He misses those cues and thinks he can win her over if he sees her even more. He tries to work at her company so he can see her every day, and blows at the interview so badly he scares everyone. He speeds home, and tries to get out of a ticket by impressing the cops with his moves, and ends up in jail.

Yes, when you have to explain it in depth, it loses it's effectiveness. Perhaps we should have set it up with different cues, but we felt it had enough cues in it without beating people over the head with the content. I'm curious if anyone got it, or if the subtext and reverse jokes were just lost on people. But there was forethought and reasoning behind the way things were presented, even if the meaning wasn't spelled out bluntly.

Then again, I could be just bullshitting my way through after the fact.

I'm not, but I could be. That's what makes it fun. And funny.

Tom
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin
Pronouns: he/him

Post by roymond »

BoffoYux wrote:I'm curious if anyone got it, or if the subtext and reverse jokes were just lost on people.
This is the most important thing you said here.
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
Thanks For The Frisbee
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: mine
Recording Method: wishful thinking
Submitting as: Thanks for the Frisbee

Post by Thanks For The Frisbee »

some reviews...late. i find it difficult to critisize in NUR EIN's because everyone is effectively bringing it, but i will try to
piss at least someone off.

Adam Adamant: cowbell..good. love the synth.
ADD: i love the 80's 8-) i havent read the other reviews yet..but has anyone said moby yet? if you like that comparison, your welcome, if you dont, im sorry. i really do like this song. i envy the ability to make this kind of music.
bgm: you suck...in the way that your are so good im jealous ;) the chanting is perfect. keep it up and you may win this thing.
Boffo Yux Dudes:i dont like the talking thing, but it kinda does remind me of early nada surf, who i like. so i like you too.
The Chocolate Chips: hate the "hey girl" start, but i get how it fits into breaking the ice. loving the oldies vibe. well done song. as i listen further, the " hey girl" thing bothers me less :) i do love the oldies thing. great song.
Chris Cogott: i like the chorus. well constructed. lil butt rocky...but you must know that :lol:
DJ Ranger Den: smooove, i see a small smokey room circa 1925. small round tables and well crafted airdoes. this song must have played while two young angsty people fell in lust. good job.
Frankie Big Face: great story. i cant NOT like your songs. yor good you...yor good. replace one of those choruses with a ear bleeding guitar riff and your have a winner man.
Genevieve Jones and the Chiefs: really indie intro. this is a great love song, but this title lends itself so well to love songs that...during the coarse of listening to the round ive become sick of love songs. although this is one of the best. i really like the simplicity and emphasis on lyrics.
Gooey Caramel Centaur: dont like beep box done poorly. love the name tho. vocals are labored but good, kinda like some memory i have of Blurr songs. who i really like a lot. im forgetting the hatred i have for beep box done poorly and now i just like this sweet heartfelt song.
Jo Ann Abbott: reminds me of portal: still alive. i like indiana jones. im sorry this is a prime example of round zero " who cares" attitude. the poem is really really good, but i dont like songs without music. i would love this if i was in a spoken word club...and i had had a few drinks. you are a talented poet, but you need music. gooey could help you out with a beep box if you need one.
Jon Eric: jazzy. not the best in the round. i like the piano.
Ligers With Attitude: promising intro! funky man, good tune! i feel like ive seen this on flight of the concords. this is the first song ive ever heard from you, since ive been out of the game for 3 years, excluding " isle dauphine" and a few nur eins. soooo i like it a lot and i will be keeping up with your entries. thanks for that.
Manhattan Glutton: ess ache word. powerful vocals, needs more drums earlier. great bass line.
reminds me of a lil alice n chains.
Merisan: rockin. this is song 5 in a 15 song set at busters bar and grill. i dont know what that means either...its one of those songs that people would think on first listen " oh i love this song".
whatever you are doing you are doing it well.
Oystercatcher: sea gulls are gross. i hate this so far. there are too many sea gulls.step it up in this compitition or you will be at the bottom of the lake...sorta speak. it sounds like you are more than capable of doing better. this song just isnt good.
Rabid Garfunkel: pirate dirges are great. this must be great. i love the dirge part. round zero.
Ross Durand: you are one of the best songwriters ive heard around here, consistantly. i like when you raise your voice. you should do it more often. your are going to be a final 4 at least in this NUR EIN.
Sausage: i really like the vocal effect. vocals could be better practiced and performed but we dont really have much time in this thing so thats aight.
Snappy + Floyd: apple cinnamins apple cinnamins...meets, ice ice baby.....you may lose soon.
i like mike doughty as much as anyone. but he already does this. this song is so dirivitive that i have to stop listening. i dont think you have found your own voice, but you do all these other ones pretty good. thanks for playing.
The Idiot Kings: ok, lovin the vocals, and the panting techno. this reminds me of linkin park. im not a fan of them but i like that you can do it, id more likey be your fan than theirs.vocals kinda fall off toward the middle. i like the chorus. i cant make techno songs so i envy it.
WreckdoM: shouting challenge was poifect fuh you. classic wreckdom.
The Worldly Self Assurance: im spoiled with this band.

i hope i managed to piss someone off. you are all great!! some acted like it was round zero and some acted like it was the last round. you know who you are.
Thanks for the frisbee is on Spotify, iTunes, Apple Music ect.
Rabid Garfunkel
Jump
Instruments: Absurdity
Recording Method: iPhone, GarageBand & rando apps/toys
Submitting as: OZYMANDIPUS, Rabid Garfunkel, Primitive Screwheads
Pronouns: that guy

Post by Rabid Garfunkel »

Got a good laugh out of the "Round Zero" tag. Absolutely, sir. But if you want to piss me off, you've got to play it stronger. At least, stronger than "I hate your voice and want you to die." Now *that* was a review.
"Urban cartoon music." -- Paco Del Stinko
Be my friend? --- Song of the Day
JoAnn Abbott
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Submitting as: Menage A Tune

Post by JoAnn Abbott »

Thanks for the frisbee- Total noob here. Who/what is gooey, and ditto on a beep box?
Thanks For The Frisbee
Push Comes to Shove

JoAnn Abbott wrote:Thanks for the frisbee- Total noob here. Who/what is gooey, and ditto on a beep box?
i was reffering to gooey caramel centaur's song, he had the wicked beat box, ive always called it beep box since i was little.
bff pff bff bff pff.
Thanks For The Frisbee
Push Comes to Shove

Rabid Garfunkel wrote:Got a good laugh out of the "Round Zero" tag. Absolutely, sir. But if you want to piss me off, you've got to play it stronger. At least, stronger than "I hate your voice and want you to die." Now *that* was a review.
haha, well i dont know if i would ever try to intentionally piss YOU off, but in the future i promise to try harder :lol:
Rabid Garfunkel
Jump
Instruments: Absurdity
Recording Method: iPhone, GarageBand & rando apps/toys
Submitting as: OZYMANDIPUS, Rabid Garfunkel, Primitive Screwheads
Pronouns: that guy

Post by Rabid Garfunkel »

Thanks For The Frisbee wrote:haha, well i dont know if i would ever try to intentionally piss YOU off, but in the future i promise to try harder :lol:
Good on ya. It is, after all, songFIGHT.
"Urban cartoon music." -- Paco Del Stinko
Be my friend? --- Song of the Day
BoffoYux
Panama
Instruments: Keys, Clunking, SFX and Strings
Recording Method: Audacity, Adobe, and other 'A' titled software
Submitting as: Boffo Yux Dudes

Post by BoffoYux »

roymond wrote:
BoffoYux wrote:I'm curious if anyone got it, or if the subtext and reverse jokes were just lost on people.
This is the most important thing you said here.
I'm guessing you fall in the latter category. That's ok.

This is more a straight ahead head style we used to do.
http://boffoyuxdudes.bandcamp.com/track ... tch-trials
RangerDenni
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: vocals, piano, drums, bit o’gitfiddle, other noisy stuff
Recording Method: cubase, pianoteq, desperation.
Submitting as: a mysterious presence of quiet silence and apology reverb
Pronouns: She/Her They/Them

Post by RangerDenni »

Thanks For The Frisbee wrote: DJ Ranger Den: smooove, i see a small smokey room circa 1925. small round tables and well crafted airdoes. this song must have played while two young angsty people fell in lust. good job.
Anyone who knows me in the least knows this is the review for which I have always longed. :) Yay!
"Really interesting how the point you’re making slowly emerges like Martin Sheen from the mud in Apocalypse Now..." ~j$
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

glennny wrote:I always wanted to hear the judging panel do exhibition songs.
:?:
"I'd like to see 1984 redubbed with this in the soundtrack."- Furrypedro.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost