adamadamant
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: None
Recording Method: Answer phone messages
Pronouns: he/him

Re: Nur Ein VII: Round One

Post by adamadamant »

nyjm wrote:Some stuff about prosody
Thanks for the links, I will try and work on this stuff in the future.
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

frankie big face wrote:
EvelBist wrote:
j$ wrote:Sausage - I can't quite nail the 80's reference I want to make - which is a compliment. Maybe an under-arranged very late period SoM.
SoM?
I'm going to assume he means Sisters of Mercy, but he could mean Sound of Music. You never know with the English. ;)
Especially this Englishman :) Yeah, I meant Sisters of Mercy, it's not quite the right reference - that said Sisters of Mercy covering Sound of Music would be an awesome experience!
Last edited by j$ on Thu May 03, 2012 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

Manhattan Glutton wrote:So uh, I wasn't expecting my song to do as well as it did. So thanks, particularly judges, for the constructive and positive feedback. It's encouraging, and maybe I'll revisit this one later to bring it up to my own standards.
I dunno, in this case, I would take "if it ain't broke don't fix it" approach. Especially if fixing it means bringing out its hidden Soundgarden aspect :) As is It's still on repeat listen chez Cashpoint.
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin

Post by roymond »

frankie big face wrote:
roymond wrote:My reviews are here, as a PDF
Am I insane or am I the only one who heard the hidden message in BGM's song at the end? Something to the effect of "it's our fate you're sealing." Roy's review makes me thing people may have missed the coolest thing about the song.
The reference is just that. My comment being it's not as clear as the PDQ Bach example I posted at the start of the round.
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
roymond
Beat It
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin

Post by roymond »

JoAnn Abbott wrote:Roymond- thanks for the review. I don't really understand most of it though. "This is academic and dangerously liturgical, but
not a parody. That confuses me."
Academic? I was going for traditional round- I have been into historical recreation with the SCA for years, so that is what I think of- rounds such as Rose; Hey, Ho, nobodies home, My lady and her maid, the quadratic formula...ok that last one would be academic I guess. And "dangerously liturgical, but not a parody"? What is so dangerous about liturgical songs? Why would you expect it to be a parody if it WAS a liturgical song? Or are "straight" liturgical/Christian songs not generally ever done around here? Of course, I have eclectic tastes in music- my iPod includes about 50 medieval musical styles including gregorian chants from a class I took in college on the subject. Very calming to listen to when stuck in traffic.
Still trying to understand the roache girl reference, guess I better go google it.
Thanks!
Apologies for the opaqueness of my observations. By academic, I was referring to the straightforward application of a single phrase round, as if this was cut from a liturgical round within a larger context, and it sounds oddly isolated. Not a great description I know. And I guess I was hearing the desire for a partner and my mind goes the John Dowland route...the strings/accompaniment took me to a liturgical setting and I wasn't resolving my own instincts, having sadly missed yours. As for the Roches (misspelled) I was referring to "We" and "The Troubles", neither a true round, but they bring the feeling I was nodding to here.

In the end, this is difficult to assess in the stack of competition. Your attention to the challenge and effort are very apparent. To my ear it's all challenge and as I said, it didn't take me beyond that.
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
frankie big face
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, Bass, Guitar, Saxophone, Flute, Keyboard, Violin, Other Stuff
Recording Method: Logic, UAD Apollo Twin, aging iMac
Submitting as: frankie big face

Post by frankie big face »

roymond wrote:
frankie big face wrote:
roymond wrote:My reviews are here, as a PDF
Am I insane or am I the only one who heard the hidden message in BGM's song at the end? Something to the effect of "it's our fate you're sealing." Roy's review makes me thing people may have missed the coolest thing about the song.
The reference is just that. My comment being it's not as clear as the PDQ Bach example I posted at the start of the round.
Well, yeah---it's not perfect. But he had five days to write, conceive, record, etc. I have to give him mad props (do people still give those?) for pulling it off. I forgot about the PDQ Bach example, which makes the BGM example derivative, but no less clever.
roymond
Beat It

Post by roymond »

frankie big face wrote:Well, yeah---it's not perfect. But he had five days to write, conceive, record, etc. I have to give him mad props (do people still give those?) for pulling it off. I forgot about the PDQ Bach example, which makes the BGM example derivative, but no less clever.
Yeah, PDQ Bach had almost 250 years....still, pretty damn quick! Mad props are certainly in order.
roymond
Beat It

Post by roymond »

The round challenge has caused a stir, and well, it was a challenge to some. But if it helped produce the songs that came from Ross, BGM, Frankie, Chris, Genevieve and MG...so be it. Lots to appreciate in any and all entries, but these really do astound me. They get props because they go beyond the call of duty, rather than simply satisfy the challenge.
frankie big face
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, Bass, Guitar, Saxophone, Flute, Keyboard, Violin, Other Stuff

I think the round challenge is one of the best challenges ever for a Nur Ein round. It's challenging but not impossible, and frankly, pretty straight-forward. It also encourages creativity instead of strangling it, which is sometimes the case with the challenges, imo. I don't really understand the level of controversy over it. I think this next one is actually open to considerably more scrutiny because of the word "creative."
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

frankie big face wrote:I think the round challenge is one of the best challenges ever for a Nur Ein round. It's challenging but not impossible, and frankly, pretty straight-forward. It also encourages creativity instead of strangling it, which is sometimes the case with the challenges, imo. I don't really understand the level of controversy over it. I think this next one is actually open to considerably more scrutiny because of the word "creative."
Agreed. I didn't do a very good execution of the challenge, because (frankly) I just found it too challenging. It certainly didn't mean I didn't understand it.

My favorite Nur Ein challenges are ones that inspire me to do something with a song that 1.) I couldn't have thought of without the challenge, and 2.) makes the song better. The whistling in my "Sleep Tight," the guitar solo in my "Bullets and Lovers," the acronym in my "We Need to Talk," and the backup vocals under the last chorus in my "Architect" all qualify (even if the last example is kind of cheating the challenge, I admit).

For this week, I'm just glad to have survived, and look forward to bringing my A-game to future challenges.

It also occurred to me that instead of playing the harmonica on both solos in my song this week, I should have whistled for one of them. Then I would have fulfilled four Nur Ein challanges in one song - whistling, shouting, genre hop, and round.
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

frankie big face wrote:I think the round challenge is one of the best challenges ever for a Nur Ein round. It's challenging but not impossible, and frankly, pretty straight-forward. It also encourages creativity instead of strangling it, which is sometimes the case with the challenges, imo. I don't really understand the level of controversy over it. I think this next one is actually open to considerably more scrutiny because of the word "creative."
I think the round challenge is one of the worst challenges ever for a Nur Ein round. It's prescriptive and not open to wider interpretation (even though J$ did briefly seem to accept me repeating "round" was a valid response).

I prefer challenges that are actually open to considerably more scrutiny because of the word "creative.".

BTW Judges - I had a creative stop and start in my "Breaking the Ice" song (at the point where the singer gets slapped in the face , then keeps singing). Can I have a different challenge please? I've already done that one.
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

No; try and do it again, only good this time.
frankie big face
Ice Cream Man

Caravan Ray wrote:
I think the round challenge is one of the worst challenges ever for a Nur Ein round. It's prescriptive and not open to wider interpretation (even though J$ did briefly seem to accept me repeating "round" was a valid response).

I prefer challenges that are actually open to considerably more scrutiny because of the word "creative."
Are you just mocking me or are you being serious? Either way is fine--I just want to know what level of asshole you are set on today.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

frankie big face wrote:
Caravan Ray wrote:

I prefer challenges that are actually open to considerably more scrutiny because of the word "creative."
Are you just mocking me or are you being serious?

Both
frankie big face wrote: I just want to know what level of asshole you are set on today.
Set to 11