Alvis
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: Vox, Keys, Guitar, Cash Register
Recording Method: Digital Performer, Ardour
Submitting as: Boffo Yux Dudes, Alvis, Ultrasaurus, Tone Def

Re: Nur Ein VIII- Round Two

Post by Alvis »

RangerDenni wrote: BOFFO YUX DUDES
A differently angled direction for you, yet still utilizing your harmonic coccoon - that BYD wall of fun. It gets uppity and in your face here though, rather than giving you that nice loungy hug. It gives the stretch you make toward the vocal range some some effective meatiness. The song is just the right length, with a tough-kid rebelliousness and passive-aggressive anger that is cleverly understated not in the lyrics so much; but curiously in the guitar tone. An earnest and serious direction that fits in well with your funnier side.
Thanks to all who submitted reviews and provided feedback, as always. We do take the constructive stuff to heart and try to keep improving; great comments this round (I'll do some myself one of these days...) Special shout out to RangerDenni for continuing her tradition of being intelligent, thoughtful and extra supportive and SkyPup for bringing the heartfelt enthusiasm. Welcome aboard, SP!
RangerDenni
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: vocals, piano, drums, bit o’gitfiddle, other noisy stuff
Recording Method: cubase, pianoteq, desperation.
Submitting as: a mysterious presence of quiet silence and apology reverb
Pronouns: She/Her They/Them

Post by RangerDenni »

FBF
I hope I didn't offend. It's hard to connect with your music intellectually for me sometimes because I feel stupid as a person in the discussion or even within whatever its purpose may be... but I love it and it is well done and is the kind my heart likes to hear so I adore it as a composer. I get tired of gushing particularly when I do have frustrations to share.
See, even now, I'm obsessing over your "wow," so it must be something. :)
"Really interesting how the point you’re making slowly emerges like Martin Sheen from the mud in Apocalypse Now..." ~j$
RangerDenni
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: vocals, piano, drums, bit o’gitfiddle, other noisy stuff
Recording Method: cubase, pianoteq, desperation.
Submitting as: a mysterious presence of quiet silence and apology reverb
Pronouns: She/Her They/Them

Post by RangerDenni »

mr.krieger
I hope it's not to creepy to say especially about the next round coming up; but this response made me feel better about it all as I am a daughter who has lost a mother and a bit of belief as well (my Rd2 was a little about That in some of it) - and I feel less UGH about that approaching subject. Knowing gave it even more sweetness. This is a good song to make it less horrible and more lovely and spiritual.
"Really interesting how the point you’re making slowly emerges like Martin Sheen from the mud in Apocalypse Now..." ~j$
carlo bruno jr
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: bass, guitar, drums, keyb., programming
Recording Method: Ableton Live, Apple computer
Submitting as: carlo bruno jr, ray negro

Post by carlo bruno jr »

Congrats to Manhattan Glutton, a very well deserved inmunnity. Congrats also to the rest of contenders, because this round was full of brilliant songs with lots of really enjoyable details.

Sky Pup, I sincerily dislike that you came out. You was the mustard in this hot dog.

Your

"Please insert your finger
Please insert your finger
Into the hole in the machine"

is my hook of the week. I predict it will be a classic anthem to be screamed in my future parties. I'm sure that my friends (a really weird bunch) will love it as I do. Nice shot, man.
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

Caravan Ray wrote:So - did anyone else enter into this weeks Songfight as well, using this weeks title? I sorta thought that's what the judges were trying to encourage, because the front page says:

You got to be kind
Look at all those votes! Tuners Union racks up their fourth win while everyone is out playing Nur Ein.

...and J$ has quoted this weeks title about half a dozen times in this thread.

Do I get extra points?
Reviews to be posted tonight when I get home, but I would like to point out Tydon Docks were very lucky not to be eliminated as, at the time of writing it and recording, "This Week We'll See" was a current, not previous, songfight title.
frankie big face
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, Bass, Guitar, Saxophone, Flute, Keyboard, Violin, Other Stuff
Recording Method: Logic, UAD Apollo Twin, aging iMac
Submitting as: frankie big face

Post by frankie big face »

@DJRD - Not at all! If anything, your review made me feel a little guilty for writing and submitting something so mediocre in the first place! I mean, I like the song, but I'm not sure it's art exactly. But your review makes it sound like it is so let's go with that!
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

frankie big face wrote:@DJRD - Not at all! If anything, your review made me feel a little guilty for writing and submitting something so mediocre in the first place! I mean, I like the song, but I'm not sure it's art exactly. But your review makes it sound like it is so let's go with that!
I will say this, Frank: your song did not strike me as belonging alongside your best work, but it had a really catchy melody, got stuck in my head all day yesterday, and it made me think more than any other song from this round—even if what I was thinking was mostly "Why did he do that?" :-P I like your odds this year, provided you don't run into any more scheduling issues.

Also, Merisan, I still have your song running through my head today. Just amazing work. Keep it up!

NUR EIN!!
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
frankie big face
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, Bass, Guitar, Saxophone, Flute, Keyboard, Violin, Other Stuff
Recording Method: Logic, UAD Apollo Twin, aging iMac
Submitting as: frankie big face

Post by frankie big face »

Okay, now that the results are posted, I can say I did it mostly because I was having trouble coming up with ideas and saw the "Save a Pony From the Glue Factory" title in the SF archive. I thought it was interesting and it led to this idea.

I was originally working on a connection to "The Last Words of Cotton Wool" but the pronouns weren't working out.

It may be a lack of creativity but I found it difficult just to come up with questions I didn't "want an answer to." What ever happened to my pony? seemed like a good one, especially when introducing the glue factory.

And even though you didn't like the faux bari sax noodling, I thought it added a dose of smarminess fitting of a glue factory scene. I'm actually quite happy with the arrangement.

All this being said, if I had been eliminated, I wouldn't have been at all surprised.
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

"I'd like to see 1984 redubbed with this in the soundtrack."- Furrypedro.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

j$ wrote:
Caravan Ray wrote:So - did anyone else enter into this weeks Songfight as well, using this weeks title? I sorta thought that's what the judges were trying to encourage, because the front page says:

You got to be kind
Look at all those votes! Tuners Union racks up their fourth win while everyone is out playing Nur Ein.

Do I get extra points?
Reviews to be posted tonight when I get home, but I would like to point out Tydon Docks were very lucky not to be eliminated as, at the time of writing it and recording, "This Week We'll See" was a current, not previous, songfight title.
If you we're paying attention, you would have noticed that the wording of the challenge was "incorporate a Songfight title...." - no mention of "previous".
rone rivendale
Odie
Instruments: Electronica, nothing real
Recording Method: Fruity Loops, Goldwave
Submitting as: Rone Rivendale
Pronouns: he/him

Post by rone rivendale »

Am I the only person who didn't know New Radicals had another song besides You Only Get What You Give? :P
From spoken word to actual singing, I can screw up any style with style. :D
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

Who are you?
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

Caravan Ray wrote:
j$ wrote:

You got to be kind

Do I get extra points?
If you we're paying attention, you would have noticed that the wording of the challenge was "incorporate a Songfight title...." - no mention of "previous".
I may have to ask you to double check your sources before you make so bold a claim. Seriously.
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

As promised, IAAC. WAIL. I've put this in the right place, right?

Bl – jaunty. Wobbly singing is a bit distracting. A little Hanson in places. But as ever lots of lovely things going on in the near background. That weird double kick in the third line of the chorus throws me off.

BFD – The words pass me by but otherwise what a great melody / arrangement. It pails a little on second and third listens but the impact on first listen takes you up my chart.

CBjr – Half love it, half find it ridiculous. It’s pompous in a good way and I am not sure your voice really suits the song – those ba ba bas are great. Hmm.

CD – flutes are too Tull for me. I like the groove of the verses. And those harmonies on the bridge bit. And I love the chorus. But I’m not fully engaging with this.

CP – Hope you didn’t go upmarket production-wise on my behalf. This is very pretty. And I don’t like it much. You just can’t win, can you? I do like the “all of the above” take in the lyric. Actually it has grown on me, I like the mood of the song around the backwards reverb solo thing. It is and then it’s done. Extra points for the excellent swell drone thing that ends it.

DH – From the same ilk as BL. The vocals spoil this for me – can’t tell if they’re flat or the octave harmony thing isn’t working. The synth bass should be louder, maybe. It’s all a bit grotty and distant feels sloppy when it isn’t.

DJRD – 5 minutes? Really? It’s very pretty and slides by. The harmonies are sweet. The cello and glock sounding things are a nice touch but the song isn’t developing fast enough, and it’s a bad sign when I’m thinking that by 1.30 You lose a point for every minute longer than this needs to be. -3. Then.

FBF – another solid, good FBF song - however great use of challenge. A sad nostalgic song for life / work getting in the way of childhood dreams. I like the background atmosphere with all the kiddy synth tones going on. I like the repeated ending as well. I wanted harmonies building ups slowly over the “glue factory” – it doesn’t swell quite as well as it should.

GD – great opening! Everything sounds good until, well, the singing comes in and it’s all a bit “dramatic” and slightly wobbly. and I am left cold. It’s well done but it’s not for me, certainly a minute and a half longer than it needs to be.

IV – The lyric completely passes me by. Some of the phrasing is a bit clumsy. I like the melody and the arrangement.

JE – Some of these lines just don’t work – the chewing on my wine line particularly. But this is not bad. I don’t find it particularly amusing or poignant, but I certainly don’t mind it. The harmonies could stand out better on the big repeated title bit. If you had gone bigger then you could have left the song on “dust” … and I think I would have liked it more.

Ken – REM b-side? A bit workman-like but I don’t mind it at all.

Manhattan Glutton – Good take on the challenge. Shame it couldn’t have been a duet. Some of the words are a bit clumsy and you don’t come out of it very well. You come across as a whiny, envious twat! Shania Twain (god forbid) ‘s “That Don’t Impress Me Much” approached similar subject matter with a modicum of charm. All that said, I really like the song and personal antipathy to the clunky lyric is irrelevant. There are some great lyrical moments.

Merisan – I could cut and paste my review from last round –pretty, smooth, voices work so well together, slides by and I have forgotten it a minute after it finishes. The steel guitar feel to the lead is a nice touch.

Paco Del Stinko – love the music / hate the way the lyric is rendered slightly meaningless by the overuse of songfight titles.

Ross Durand - Like you wrote you a Stones b-side. I don’t mean that as big as an insult as it may sound  List song lyric – yawn - “The germ that I got”?

Sky Pup – you really missed the point of what we liked about your song last round, didn’t you? Diminishing returns. Shock of the new no longer applies. An unfunny comedy song. Shame.

Tubba Gutz – nice tune. But I am not interested in your pain. Comes across as self-pitying.

Tydon Docks – the Australian yob bit is becoming a bit old. However this gets better musically as it goes along. (from 1.25 specifically) some of those BVs are a bit thin, but not terribly so.

Wreckdom – nah, the tune is dull, not enough music in the chorus. and the words are hit and miss line by line. Some great, some meh. “Hug you in an awkward way” and “there are thing men aren’t meant to know” are inspired , others not so much.
glennny
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Mandolin, Dobro, Banjo, E-Bow, Glock
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene

Post by glennny »

J$ said:
CD – flutes are too Tull for me....
even here?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bo3R3LBjDek
Phillipso, Older Brothers, Semolina Pilchards, Zipline , Thank Glennny for the Frisbee, The Odoriferous Valley, The Worldly Self Assurance, Berkeley Social Scene, Very Gentle Knives, Daddy Bop Swing Set, GUNS, The Kraken Lives, Cavedwellers
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

Even there, (Don't get me started on the myriad ways L&R failed to live up to their promise).

The only acceptable use of flute in rock is, ironically, here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWubhw8SoBE I have never really recovered from being a teenage Tull head. The British Alice Cooper, anyone?

I should also add that my problem with Merisan is in no way their fault, except that expansive sound really doesn't translate to a cold, uptight, tiny country. I wish I could see what others see in it, but I am after all, a cold, uptight, tiny man. Hope it doesn't stop you getting what you deserve. Thankfully there are enough judges to counter my personal opinions. Also, for me, FBF's is the grower of the round. I am now 6 listens in, and it's really starting to haunt me, in a good way. *and* the MLP reference meant absolutely nothing to me until it was explained. Good werk. Though it still needs harmonies over the ending.
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Lunkhead »

We don't take it personally. Plus, knowing up front that one of the judges can't stand our music just makes the whole thing that much more interesting. :P
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

j$ wrote: I may have to ask you to double check your sources before you make so bold a claim. Seriously.

M'Lud....May I present Exhibit A, the Opening Post of this very same thread:
Niveous wrote:Round Two has begun!

Title: I Don't Want An Answer To That
Non Optional Challenge: Incorporate a Songfight title meaningfully in the lyrics.
Songs are due on Monday, May 6th @ 12:01 AM EDT
Send your MP3 to nurein.sidefight@gmail.com

4 bands will be eliminated. Judges favorite gets immunity.
Is there any requirement for this to be a "previous" title as the Prosecution suggests? No, I say.

I rest my case.
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

"Re: Nur Ein VIII- Titles, Songs and Results (no comments)
by Niveous » Sun May 05, 2013 9:23 pm

Round Two
Title: I Don’t Want An Answer To That
Challenge: Use of a previous Songfight title"

As I said, double check :p
Caravan Ray
bono
bono

Post by Caravan Ray »

j$ wrote:"Re: Nur Ein VIII- Titles, Songs and Results (no comments)
by Niveous » Sun May 05, 2013 9:23 pm

Round Two
Title: I Don’t Want An Answer To That
Challenge: Use of a previous Songfight title"

As I said, double check :p
Would my learned colleague like to tell the Court the time and date at which that post was posted?

Or shall I do it for you?
In fact - by Nur Ein time it was: Posted: Sun May 05, 2013 11:23 pm

8 minutes before the deadline!!!

Yes, ladies and gentleman - what we have here is a clear case of shenenigans and chicanery of the highest order. It appears that for nefarious reasons still unknown - the judging panel decided to indulge in a bit of goalpost shifting - 8 MINUTES BEFORE THE DEADLINE!!!!!!

Can I have extra points?
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

You already did - the ones that saved you from automatic disqualification. Now shut up and write a song that isn't about an Australian yob mum's drinking and saying "c*nt" at an outback snake-petting zoo. Actually that kind of sounds amazing, but still ...
Caravan Ray
bono
bono

Post by Caravan Ray »

No...that sounds like the awkward family Christmas holiday of 1981