Nur Ein IX Round Three "Watertight"

There can be only one.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Re: Nur Ein IX- Round Three

Post by Caravan Ray »

I'm in.

In the end - my daughter was too shy to sing backing vocals and wouldn't even play bongos for me. But I did have a back up plan. I noted that in the title post, the word "Family" was capitalised, so I assume the judges were referring to Linnean taxonomy. I had some more distant Family members help out.

And yes - it is Nur Ein/Songfight double-up week!
BenKrieger
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: A lot of instruments passably.
Recording Method: Sonar, UA preamp, Apogee Rosetta converter; Garage Band; Zoom recorder; iPhone
Submitting as: Boop Boop, Chokehold Princess, Rattlebox, Oystercatcher, Solo Frijoles
Pronouns: he/him

Post by BenKrieger »

SUBMITTED.

I like this song. A lot of editing, though it doesn't seem like it. I think it will get me to Round 4.
Vincent Von F.
A New Player
Instruments: Guitar, voice, bass, piano.
Recording Method: Garageband for Ipad.
Submitting as: Vincent Von F.

Post by Vincent Von F. »

Sent!

The song features my little baby Lola (8 months old) and my beloved wife Inés. First time singing and recording on both cases.

About the words to the song:

I am from Spain and my english is pretty bad. I hadn't ever heard the word "watertight" until now, and couldn't understand the meaning, that's why I went to the internet to search some "light" about it. I found that the word it's sometimes used toghether with "alibi", forming "watertight alibi", that means something like "the perfect alibi". I liked that and that's the meaning I've used in the lyrics of the song, which is dedicated to my little daughter. I write this because maybe is a little heard expression, but then, so is the word itself.

Greetings to you all, mates!
BenKrieger
Push Comes to Shove
Recording Method: Sonar, UA preamp, Apogee Rosetta converter; Garage Band; Zoom recorder; iPhone
Submitting as: Boop Boop, Chokehold Princess, Rattlebox, Oystercatcher, Solo Frijoles

Post by BenKrieger »

I couldn't get the missus to sing, so we're looking at another dad/daughter collaboration. How often do other people mix/redo/resubmit before the deadline? I feel like I've been lousy about that for NE9. I've rewritten a few lines since submitting this morning. I didn't think I'd get a chance to drag the Fam into the studio àgain today. But as it turns out, I may have the time to...is that lame?
noma
Mean Street
Instruments: Guitar, programming, various other stuff
Recording Method: Audacity
Submitting as: Nick Soma

Post by noma »

Sent.
My sister sings along with me on this one. Fortunately, she loves singing. We didn't have a lot of time for rehearsals though (she's always on a tight schedule). Hope you'll enjoy it anyway :)
glennny
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Mandolin, Dobro, Banjo, E-Bow, Glock
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene

Post by glennny »

Ben,
Not lame at all. I get our safety mix in, ( yesterday) then time permitting I'll try and tweak and improve up until an hour before it's due.

Niveous is incredibly nice and accommodating with such antics.

I'm excited to hear everyone's songs!

Nur Ein!!!
Phillipso, Older Brothers, Semolina Pilchards, Zipline , Thank Glennny for the Frisbee, The Odoriferous Valley, The Worldly Self Assurance, Berkeley Social Scene, Very Gentle Knives, Daddy Bop Swing Set, GUNS, The Kraken Lives, Cavedwellers
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

My entry this week is significant in that while I often use bongo and congas and other percussion stuff - it is usually mostly midi sounds and apple loops. This week I have actually used all live bongo drums for the first time! I need to work on recording them better (that is why I usually use loops - I find it very hard to mix live percussion - the pre-mixed packaged sounds are a lot easier to work with)

BTW - what is the correct way to mic bongos? I played them in a chair with the mic stand between my legs pointing up at the bottom of the bongos. Would it be better to point the mic down from the top?
furrypedro
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Guitar, programming
Recording Method: Cubase, Reason
Submitting as: Balance Lost

Post by furrypedro »

I've been recording/mixing right up to the deadline on this one. I think I bit off slightly more than I could chew, especially with the family obstacles that a lot of us seem to have faced. Anyway, I'm in.

My track could probably use a little explanation, so for the benefit of the judges here it is:
The theme of the song is the events relating to the Kursk submarine on August 12th 2000, and it's primarily written from the persepective of Dmitri Kolesnikov who was on board at the time. The "Vidyayevo" section refers to it's home port and is meant to symbolise homesickness although it's unlikely it was home to any of the sailors.

Fingers crossed. Good luck to all.

NUr eIn!!!!!!!!!
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

Vincent Von F. wrote: I am from Spain and my english is pretty bad. I hadn't ever heard the word "watertight" until now, and couldn't understand the meaning, that's why I went to the internet to search some "light" about it. I found that the word it's sometimes used toghether with "alibi", forming "watertight alibi", that means something like "the perfect alibi". I liked that and that's the meaning I've used in the lyrics of the song, which is dedicated to my little daughter. I write this because maybe is a little heard expression, but then, so is the word itself.
A "watertight alibi" is a good use of the title. The internet didn't give you wrong information.
"I'd like to see 1984 redubbed with this in the soundtrack."- Furrypedro.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Ross
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Vox, Bass, Tuned glasses, etc...
Recording Method: Logic on a Macbook.
Submitting as: Ross Durand

Post by Ross »

My entry is in. Like many others, this was not an especially advantageous week for getting this done... Is it bad to be knocking wood for four defaults?

Nur Ein!!!
"I don't like this song, but at least it's good." - veGetar Ianra Ge
http://www.rossdurandmusic.com
Manhattan Glutton
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Angst
Recording Method: REAPER

Post by Manhattan Glutton »

I fulfilled the challenge, and also have collaborators.

It started with a request to mom for a voicemail about how much she hates my music, and sort of spiraled downward from there as I got more collaborators to add to my sick track.
Last edited by Manhattan Glutton on Sun May 11, 2014 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Basic rock, at a basic level.
Recording Method: Roland 2480
Submitting as: Paco del Stinko

Post by Paco Del Stinko »

In. My sister, Consuela Cohen, recorded vocals on...something...and sent them to me. She's 2300 miles away. Who's got that beat? Ray?
Bringin' the stink since 2006.
iVeg
Mean Street
Submitting as: inflatable vegetables

Post by iVeg »

Caravan Ray wrote:BTW - what is the correct way to mic bongos? I played them in a chair with the mic stand between my legs pointing up at the bottom of the bongos. Would it be better to point the mic down from the top?
I've usually seen bongos miked from above with a SM-57. But that's live.

I got my safety mix in. I was REALLY hoping to get vocal harmonies from wife or sisters. What I got was hysterical laughter, and mostly-constructive criticism. And my wife let me try to play her cello.
Last edited by iVeg on Sun May 11, 2014 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
facebook.com/ivegband
adamadamant
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: None
Recording Method: Answer phone messages

Post by adamadamant »

In!

Featuring my very unmusical brother with some crude (censored) pick up lines. The title went for a bit of a wander in this round.
BenKrieger
Push Comes to Shove

Post by BenKrieger »

glennny wrote:Ben,
Not lame at all. I get our safety mix in, ( yesterday) then time permitting I'll try and tweak and improve up until an hour before it's due.
Cool! I did that. :D
Rabid Garfunkel
Jump
Instruments: Absurdity
Recording Method: iPhone, GarageBand & rando apps/toys
Submitting as: OZYMANDIPUS, Rabid Garfunkel, Primitive Screwheads
Pronouns: that guy

Post by Rabid Garfunkel »

Caravan Ray wrote:BTW - what is the correct way to mic bongos? I played them in a chair with the mic stand between my legs pointing up at the bottom of the bongos. Would it be better to point the mic down from the top?
Rule of sixes (which I'm making up, perverting some old advice from Blue): Mike head 6" above the heads, and 6" away from the rim, mike pointing at that wood center block. That's a good start.
"Urban cartoon music." -- Paco Del Stinko
Be my friend? --- Song of the Day
Rabid Garfunkel
Jump

Oh, and in. (*&^@#$ interface crapped out during vocals (an hour ago!?!?) so had to record the vox on the iPhone (?!?!). This round is gonna be brutal. As to the challenge, Kimi's on the cowbell. Hated to McCartney her (Linda, Wings, tambourine), but it is what it is. Needs must when the devil drives.

To paraphrase Curly: "I'm tryin' to sing but nothin's happening!"
Caravan Ray
bono
bono

Post by Caravan Ray »

Rabid Garfunkel wrote:
Rule of sixes (which I'm making up, perverting some old advice from Blue): Mike head 6" above the heads, and 6" away from the rim, mike pointing at that wood center block. That's a good start.
Not at the bottom. Oh. OK. Will try that next time.

(BTW: your computer must be faulty - it seems to be using some weird, archaic, non-SI measuring system. I think you meant to say 150mm)
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

Sending ours in now. I got my 81-year-old dad to play some piano chords, while my 80-year-old mom held a telephone up to the piano, and I recorded it from the speaker phone of my cell phone into a mic. I chopped it up and put it in the choruses with some rotary effect on it so it sounds like an organ, but it's kind of in the background.
Rabid Garfunkel
Jump

Caravan Ray wrote:(BTW: your computer must be faulty - it seems to be using some weird, archaic, non-SI measuring system. I think you meant to say 150mm)
Weird, I typed "36 pica" originally. Those darned macintoshes :lol:
Ross
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Vox, Bass, Tuned glasses, etc...
Recording Method: Logic on a Macbook.
Submitting as: Ross Durand

Post by Ross »

My 10-year old played ukelele - she's kind of in love with it and has even written a few one-chord songs. Both of my daughters added chorus backing vocals.
"I don't like this song, but at least it's good." - veGetar Ianra Ge
http://www.rossdurandmusic.com
RangerDenni
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: vocals, piano, drums, bit o’gitfiddle, other noisy stuff
Recording Method: cubase, pianoteq, desperation.
Submitting as: a mysterious presence of quiet silence and apology reverb
Pronouns: She/Her They/Them

Post by RangerDenni »

sorry I had to default, folks. :( I have a lot going on right now and couldn't spare the brain-goo for it; or the time, unfortunately. It's too bad because I did have my brother on board. Luckily, I have him in reserve for me for other projects if I want now and I learned a little bit in a research phase about the possibility of recording drums with 2 inputs.

NUR EIN for the rest of you! Y'all are awesome. :)
"Really interesting how the point you’re making slowly emerges like Martin Sheen from the mud in Apocalypse Now..." ~j$