Nur Ein IX Round Four "The New Ugly"

There can be only one.
chocolatechips
Push Comes to Shove
Submitting as: The Chocolate Chips

Re: Nur Ein! IX Round 4

Post by chocolatechips »

hey JonEric - thanks for the review - I can definitely understand hating my lyrics for this one, they were pretty ridiculous.

but no I didn't use any vocoder/synth on this one ... I do use pitch correction (abused perhaps on this track) but no, no synth... and the bass was done vocally ... again, I may have gone too crazy with the pitch correction (and compression) to the point where it sounds like a bass guitar.
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Re: Nur Ein! IX Round 4

Post by JonPorobil »

Caravan Ray wrote:
Generic wrote:Tydon Docks
Some of these harmonies aren't spot-on, and I can't tell whether that was on purpose.
No - not on purpose. Just out of tune.
Ah, thanks for owning up to it. It seemed like Ben's near-misses were on purpose, so I thought I'd give you the benefit of the doubt, making the song "ugly" on purpose or something. I'm not wild about your premise, but you really ran with it and made it work.
chocolatechips wrote:hey JonEric - thanks for the review - I can definitely understand hating my lyrics for this one, they were pretty ridiculous.

but no I didn't use any vocoder/synth on this one ... I do use pitch correction (abused perhaps on this track) but no, no synth... and the bass was done vocally ... again, I may have gone too crazy with the pitch correction (and compression) to the point where it sounds like a bass guitar.
I figured it was probably something like that. If you were ever interested in venturing out of your comfort zone, probably the very first thing I'd recommend for you would be to try a whole song with no pitch correction of any kind. I'm curious to see how that would turn out!
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages