Nur Ein IX Round Four "The New Ugly"

There can be only one.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Re: Nur Ein! IX Round 4

Post by Caravan Ray »

carlo bruno jr wrote: The Tydon Docks: (First of all thanks for the Portuguese translation of one of your past posts) .
Pas de problèmes mon ami
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

Pretty surprised to get through this week.

I thought the only person I would beat would be Paco del Stinko with his in-jokery. But we both made it!!

I am now regretting my decision to do nothing on Mon and Tue nights - assuming I would be out. I am now busy for the rest of the week.
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

Niveous wrote:
BenKrieger wrote:We all have a million things more important to do than this contest, so I completely understand. For the record, though, writing these songs is way less fun without judge feedback. Otherwise it's like American Idol without comments from the judges. The comments are the best part.

Remember Round 4 last year when people nearly came to blows on the board?
Oh, you'll be getting judge feedback (from me at least) tomorrow and lots of it. I know that I've been a little quieter than usual this year and there was some intent to that. But tomorrow, I'll open the flood gates.
My reviews are not coming out today. There's definitely a need for a judicious edit...
"I'd like to see 1984 redubbed with this in the soundtrack."- Furrypedro.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
glennny
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Mandolin, Dobro, Banjo, E-Bow, Glock
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene

Post by glennny »

if you're a judge, and you edit, aren't all of your edits judicious?
Phillipso, Older Brothers, Semolina Pilchards, Zipline , Thank Glennny for the Frisbee, The Odoriferous Valley, The Worldly Self Assurance, Berkeley Social Scene, Very Gentle Knives, Daddy Bop Swing Set, GUNS, The Kraken Lives, Cavedwellers
Geoff WreckdoM
Mean Street
Instruments: Theremin
Recording Method: Pabst Blue Ribbon

Post by Geoff WreckdoM »

Reviewing is always a challenge for me and something I have to force myself to do. I just have a hell of a time articulating my thoughts and opinions in a non conversational manner, I always feel like I said the same three things about every song. So there's that. I didn't review the first two fights because listening to 20 or more songs enough times to give them as fair shake in the scoring as I possibly can is super time consuming. I wish I had reviewed last weeks fight but I've been traveling and didn't have much of an opportunity. I know how frustrating it can be to Ein and not get reviews so I do apologize for my absence. I have been taking judging this competition very seriously and it really is tougher work than I thought. Anyway, reviews from me from now on starting now.

11. Nick Soma - This was not at the top of my list at first, but the more I listened to it, the more I loved it. This is a great use of the two elements, wonderful variety of both percussion and vocals, each new surprise fits in effortlessly. The concept and the lyrics are also very sharp and another quality that becomes more endearing with repeat visits. What really strikes me is how you continue to pull out new tricks out of your hat throughout while keeping your cool and not overdoing it.

10. Ross Durand - I immediately liked this entry a lot, it was my original list topper and a close call right up to the deadline. Love the arrangement, doo wop that often goes straight for the giddy. The percussive elements are top notch too. Lyrically, this is well tread material but in relation to the title it really works and it helps I %1000 agree with you, and those are good lyrical turns so it never gets too predictable. Certainly my fav Ross Durand so far this Ein.

9. Chocolate Chips - This was the song stuck in my head all week. You are a hook making maniac. I like the picture you paint with the lyrics, it's strange but knowable. I would have liked to hear some variation from your other entries in regards to musical styles and themes, considering the challenge and all. That aside this is one the most instantly and consistently likeable entries this week, While listening in my car I would always turn it up.

8. Ken Mahru - I love the stomping and shouting right out the gate, what you're saying and the energy behind it.Stays transformative and fresh and I dig that you're doing something different than previous entries. It's hard for me to articulate but it seems the individual parts clash with each other from time to time, during a transition or when something's added, like a new set of vocals not quite blending in. Certainly a small detractor as I really like this song and want you to know I fist pumped and sang along once while listening to it.

7. Kraut Kitten - If it weren't so lyrically tight and gratifying this might strike me as a half song, or more an intro. But I love it. The lyrcs and the vocal percussion stuff is so much fun. The only reason this is at the bottom of my top five is it has little variation and peters out at the end. But it's still a very amusing and memorable listen.

6. Balance Lost - Not especially attention getting but this is a very nicely put together pop song. I can certainly listen and nod along casually but if I give it my full attention it comes across as a bit repetitive and a little dull. Not too much though, really, it is a very pleasant song and a nice arrangement. I especially enjoy the background vocals. Heard a lot of risk taking with vocals this week and they mostly pay off, including here.

5. Paco Del Stinko - I didn't like this one as much at first but it is quite funny and lyrically sharp. The Nick Soma line is hilarious, it might be textbook funny song but it's textbook for a reason. It gets a little long in the tooth, an issue exacerbate by the syrupy bravado of the chorus. It went up notches with each listen. Arrangement wise, it's not mind blowing, but I especially like the background vocal reactions.

4. Tydon Docks - Sex with an ugly person! HA HA HA. Where's the keg, frat boy? seriously, I've listened to this song at least five times and the lyrical content just gets more grating and no, I'm not impressed with your redemptive "Hey, I'm ugly too!" I love your arrangement, It's your redeemer here. Good groove betrayed by lazy lyrics. Paper bag over her head. Really? Really?

3. Manhattan Glutton - A contestants use of the challenge is important to me on how I rank the songs, and my opinion is subjective. I didn't like your take on this challenge. Affected vocals and percussion made to sound like other instruments has the potential to really blow me away, but it just didn't happen here. It's a decent and safe pop song, I certainly don't dislike it, but as much as I loved your branching out last week I was equally disappointed with your hugging of comfort zone this week.

2. Rabid Garfunkel - Two things about this song that kept it's score low. First it's kinda half baked and similar to your previous entries but not as compelling. Second, I don't like your take on the challenge. Cut and layered vocal chorus can sound like an accordion. Ok. With each round I try to temper my expectations to a blank slate, but I'm only human, I was really looking forward to RG all percussion. I've always appreciated your brain lives in the Forbidden Zone, If you see Susan Tyrell please tell her when I die I intend to follow her around incessantly until she gives me the time of day. Yes, Herve can watch.

1. Cavedwellers - I put this song at the bottom mostly because the group vocals are often awkward. Points for risk taking but they frequently put me off. I can handle sedate if I've something to grab onto
but this often plods, I can't get into it.
"perhaps the most offensive and disturbing image I've ever heard in a song" - Hans Gruber
chocolatechips
Push Comes to Shove
Submitting as: The Chocolate Chips

Post by chocolatechips »

We clearly need more Geoff Wreckdoms on the judging panel ...

;)

no really, I appreciate the positive words ! takes the sting off of not making the cut. the past couple of rounds I was surprised by how well my song did, this time I have to admit I was a bit surprised to have done so poorly as I thought my song was pretty strong melodically (and it's nice to hear you pick up on that) and had some cool stuff going on with the backing vocals.

on the other hand I I did think the whole "tatooed penis" thing was a dangerous way to go lyrically as it's sure to put off some judges (and I'm not sure if that's what got me such low rankings... but it's one of my guesses.)

and there's this video I made for it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQMyRiUstUc

I'm definitely having withdrawal without a song contest to enter this week (and I've been impatiently for a new title over at SongFight proper ... still that damn dirty ape.)
glennny
Jump

Post by glennny »

Thanks for the review Geoff! I understand where you're coming from. Wouldn't you say the Cavedwellers had the ugliest song? I mean, Paco made some insults, Nick had those parallel 4th harmonies, Ben described boogers, but we had really ugly chords and melodies. Everyone else wrote a song for a title of something like "Candy Pop Sunshine".

I want to finish off our Fast Lane Junkie, it was nearly done on Tuesday, will anybody listen to it?
Phillipso, Older Brothers, Semolina Pilchards, Zipline , Thank Glennny for the Frisbee, The Odoriferous Valley, The Worldly Self Assurance, Berkeley Social Scene, Very Gentle Knives, Daddy Bop Swing Set, GUNS, The Kraken Lives, Cavedwellers
Manhattan Glutton
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Angst
Recording Method: REAPER

Post by Manhattan Glutton »

As much as I hate to say it, I had Cavedwellers stuck in my head.
Rabid Garfunkel
Jump
Instruments: Absurdity
Recording Method: iPhone, GarageBand & rando apps/toys
Submitting as: OZYMANDIPUS, Rabid Garfunkel, Primitive Screwheads
Pronouns: that guy

Post by Rabid Garfunkel »

Geoff WreckdoM wrote:2. Rabid Garfunkel - Two things about this song that kept it's score low. First it's kinda half baked and similar to your previous entries but not as compelling. Second, I don't like your take on the challenge. Cut and layered vocal chorus can sound like an accordion. Ok. With each round I try to temper my expectations to a blank slate, but I'm only human, I was really looking forward to RG all percussion. I've always appreciated your brain lives in the Forbidden Zone, If you see Susan Tyrell please tell her when I die I intend to follow her around incessantly until she gives me the time of day. Yes, Herve can watch.
You've listened to the commentary track on that right? "At that moment, I knew I wanted to fuck a midget." :-D

Yeah, my audio interface has gotten wonky, which kept the live percussion bag pretty much closed. I was lucky to get the spoken word vox out of it. Then the choir stuff went all "Yeah, just try making a pocket for lyrics in this, bitch" on me, and I knew I was doomed. So I ran with it. (Stumbled, whatever ;-))Plus ça change, plus ça meme chose, &c. Had fun making it, and digging the fuck outta the toys Miroslav Philharmonik is revealing to me.

@Glenny: Candy pop sunshine? A suiciding girlfriend whose last words are a "fuck you" to the narrator/boyfriend? Dude, I gots to get back to Berkeley (your location?) if there's candy shops like that there now :twisted: At the very least, drag a latte upstairs in the Milano and read the Examiner or something.
"Urban cartoon music." -- Paco Del Stinko
Be my friend? --- Song of the Day
glennny
Jump

Post by glennny »

Sorry Rabid, your track was beautifully ugly!
The Balance Lost track (my favorite of the round) was really poppy. Ben and Ken spelled out UGLY over very poppy music. Ugly in the title was a trap. We fell for it. (okay, we just didn't pull it off well enough)
Rabid Garfunkel
Jump
Instruments: Absurdity
Recording Method: iPhone, GarageBand & rando apps/toys
Submitting as: OZYMANDIPUS, Rabid Garfunkel, Primitive Screwheads
Pronouns: that guy

Post by Rabid Garfunkel »

Okay, hugs then :-)
"Urban cartoon music." -- Paco Del Stinko
Be my friend? --- Song of the Day
Caravan Ray
bono
bono

Post by Caravan Ray »

Geoff WreckdoM wrote: 4. Tydon Docks - Sex with an ugly person! HA HA HA. Where's the keg, frat boy? seriously, I've listened to this song at least five times and the lyrical content just gets more grating ...Paper bag over her head. Really? Really?.
You're right. I should aim for more maturity and sensitivity. I might go and listen to some WreckdoM and see if I can pick up some hints. ;)
furrypedro
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Guitar, programming
Recording Method: Cubase, Reason
Submitting as: Balance Lost

Post by furrypedro »

glennny wrote:Everyone else wrote a song for a title of something like "Candy Pop Sunshine".
Nu-huh, I wrote for a title "The New Ugly". You lot wrote "The Old Ugly". You need to get with the times Glen m'boy.
glennny
Jump

Post by glennny »

so the NEW ugly IS Candy Pop Sunshine..... :oops: that's why we're out and you're in.
furrypedro
Ice Cream Man

Post by furrypedro »

Damn straight. But don't feel bad, I'll listen to your Nein.
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Basic rock, at a basic level.
Recording Method: Roland 2480
Submitting as: Paco del Stinko

Post by Paco Del Stinko »

Glennny wrote:Paco made some insults
I hope that nobody was actually insulted. It was meant tongue in cheek. I was going to have a verse slamming myself, but whittled it down to the cheap chorus lines.
Bringin' the stink since 2006.
furrypedro
Ice Cream Man

Post by furrypedro »

Hella offended, Paco. Bringin the pain next round. Watch yer back.
glennny
Jump

Post by glennny »

I now end every song with " The slide rule is keen!"
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Basic rock, at a basic level.
Recording Method: Roland 2480
Submitting as: Paco del Stinko

Post by Paco Del Stinko »

Well, alright!
Bringin' the stink since 2006.
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

I do find it hilarious that, the very week Paco made fun of Glennny for being too nerdy, Glen turned in the least accessible, music-geekiest song I've ever heard from him.
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

Belated reviews! I don't really have any overall comments this time, other than that I'm a bit disappointed that some of you took the title to mean that your song should itself be "ugly." There were a few songs with unsightly blemishes this round, and I get the impression that most of y'all would have been inclined to polish a bit more had the word "ugly" not been in the title. Ah well! Nick was the leader of the pack by a wide margin here, but no offense to anyone else here - all of these songs were at least pretty good.

Here they are...

Tydon Docks
Some of these harmonies aren't spot-on, and I can't tell whether that was on purpose. The whole "took an ugly girl home" approach is a bit distasteful to my ears, but I like the wordplay on "out of sight" and the twist at the end (poets who've gone to college might call that a "turn" or "Volta").

Ross Durand
Man, am I sick of hearing about Cliven Bundy. You wear your politics on your sleeve, which sometimes works and sometimes comes across as preachy. I think it works for this song, especially because your execution is perfect. Your singing voice is great, and the harmonies showcase your range nicely. This is also paced really well, with the third-verse percussion breakdown also reflecting a meditative turn in the lyrics. Great job!

Rabid Garfunkel
Man, I know you have issues singing, but relying so heavily on the synth choir sound for this song might have been a tactical error. I like the lyrics, the moody feel, the delay on your spoken-word vocals, and most aspects of this song. I feel bad about it, but I'm docking you on challenge implementation.

Paco del Stinko
You've got some steel cojones, making fun of everyone else in the competition. I'm still hearing all the previous challenges; did you rope a family member into this one too? When Reist first suggested a contest like this, he described it as "Song Fight Survivor." This song really reminds me of a different reality show: it was on The Bachelor that one of the contestants famously said "I didn't come here to make friends." Sounds like you're taking that to its logical extreme. And yet it's only the second funniest song this round! Which leads us to...

(Who the Hell is) Nick Soma
I love the groove you made with all the different percussion instruments. The layered vocals work wonderfully, not a note missed on any of the harmonies. You even got in a few jokes! I laughed at "How do they survive? They don't even eat!" I love this song and it's an easy pick for winner this round.

Manhattan Glutton
I think you picked the wrong round to push the boundaries of the challenge; that synth bass doesn't sound anything like percussion. Later, you introduce some instrument that sounds like an electric guitar - I know it's probably a synth vibraphone run through distortion or something, but the challenge really depends on the instrument being recognizable as percussion. If not for the challenge implementation, this would be a contender for sure. I like the "ah ah ah ah oh" vocal break, and it's paced well. The marimba breakdown in the bridge is clever too. Strong work, but not your strongest, and definitely not worth stretching the challenge for.

Krautkitten
Great job stretching your vocal range to the limit. Some of the bass notes sound like you were struggling to hit them. I also think you missed some of your harmony notes, which might have been on purpose, which contributes to the theme of "finding beauty in ugliness" and lends to the Muppet-esque feel (which is done REALLY well, it should be said), but every time I come to one of those five-part harmony sections where one voice misses the note at first, it just makes me cringe.

Ken Mahru
I was considering doing an exhibition song with a very similar approach. The handclaps and chanting work really well, as does the spelling out of U-G-L-Y. However, I think you might have the chanted chorus in there one too many times. I really appreciate that the structure of this song is so varied. Great rapping and singing! The chimes in the end work well, too. Needs a real ending, instead of just hitting that chant one last time. Caravan Ray has been nailing the codas this year, maybe a collaboration is in order?

Chocolate Chips
I normally don't mind the effect on your vocals, but it's kind of important here: if it's a vocoder - if your voice is blended with a pitched synthesizer - it's against the rules. I'm also hearing something that sounds like a bass guitar, but when that instrument hits slightly higher registers, it clearly has a percussive "chime" to it. I'm also not really sure about these lyrics - is this just about some kind of nasty Lothario who names his penis "The New Ugly?" Ugh. In truth, I had some questions about the challenge implementation, but thanks to the lyrics, this was my least favorite song in the round, which made any concerns about the challenge irrelevant. I just gave you a free pass on the challenge, and you still wound up at the bottom of my rank. You had a nice run, and I appreciate the fearlessness of your lyrics, but they rubbed this juror the wrong way.

Cavedwellers
Love the timpani. I'm less certain of the borderline atonal verse melody. Wait, scratch that "borderline," you're doing 12-tone, aren't you? Vocals have sometimes been a weak point for you, so I was concerned that needing to rely on them so heavily would be bad for you. Instead, you nailed some really complicated vocal lines, but they're complicated to the point of being inaccessible. That matches well with the Rush-esque lyrics, at least, but I'm not sure if there's enough time in this judging period for me to listen enough for this to make sense and "feel right."

Balance Lost
I like the way your bed of harmonies builds up. I'm sorry, man, I like your stuff, but it seems like every single week, when it comes time to review the Balance Lost song, I just go, "Ah, yeah, this is pretty good," and I somehow lose my ability to speak critically about the various parts of the song and what makes them tick. Sorry if that makes for some not-very-compelling feedback. I had you in 4th, if that makes any difference...
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
Caravan Ray
bono
bono

Post by Caravan Ray »

Generic wrote:Tydon Docks
Some of these harmonies aren't spot-on, and I can't tell whether that was on purpose.
No - not on purpose. Just out of tune.