There can be only one.
glennny
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Mandolin, Dobro, Banjo, E-Bow, Glock
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene

Re: Nur Ein! IX Round 4

Post by glennny »

Cavedwellers are in: timpani, Glock, marimba, vibraphone, shakers, drum kit, conga, Tambourine.

I'm shocked there isn't more timpani mentioned.

I'm excited to hear everyone's songs!
Phillipso, Older Brothers, Semolina Pilchards, Zipline , Thank Glennny for the Frisbee, The Odoriferous Valley, The Worldly Self Assurance, Berkeley Social Scene, Very Gentle Knives, Daddy Bop Swing Set, GUNS, The Kraken Lives, Cavedwellers
Ross
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Vox, Bass, Tuned glasses, etc...
Recording Method: Logic on a Macbook.
Submitting as: Ross Durand

Post by Ross »

Email sent - I believe I am in

Nur Ein!!!!

EDIT: Sampled bass and snare drums, banged guitar case, a random sampling of coffee cups-a beer bottle-and a mandolin tailpiece cover that were sitting on a random shelf in my recording space, guiro sticks, tambourine, backwards tambourine, voice. Apparently I used 20 tracks, if we're counting. Honestly jet happy to be in - we'll see what happens :-)
"I don't like this song, but at least it's good." - veGetar Ianra Ge
http://www.rossdurandmusic.com
Manhattan Glutton
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Angst
Recording Method: REAPER

Post by Manhattan Glutton »

Well played, Paco. You're just testing to see whether people listen to your songs, right?
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

Ross wrote:A long as JonEric is clarifying - I am also assuming that informal percussion is also ok - pounding on boxes - stuff like that.
Sorry I didn't get to this sooner, but yeah, you're fine, Ross.
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
Ross
Jump

Post by Ross »

I sent mine kind of late - 11:45 or so Eastern time - and did not get a confirmation - I hope I am okay!
Manhattan Glutton
Ice Cream Man

Yes, they're already all up here: http://nurein.songlander.com

I presume Niv is uploading to his site and hasn't posted to the forums yet.
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

You're okay.
"I'd like to see 1984 redubbed with this in the soundtrack."- Furrypedro.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
glennny
Jump

Post by glennny »

Well played, Paco. You're just testing to see whether people listen to your songs, right?
where are you listening MG?
Phillipso, Older Brothers, Semolina Pilchards, Zipline , Thank Glennny for the Frisbee, The Odoriferous Valley, The Worldly Self Assurance, Berkeley Social Scene, Very Gentle Knives, Daddy Bop Swing Set, GUNS, The Kraken Lives, Cavedwellers
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Lunkhead »

Glennny, just go read his lyrics. He's got a stanza poking fun of each competitor. It's pretty funny.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

I hit a wine bottle with a teaspoon, and added some appleloops.
There are some vocal tracks too.
chocolatechips
Push Comes to Shove
Submitting as: The Chocolate Chips

Post by chocolatechips »

just did a quick listen through and it's pretty neat to hear everyone pushed out of their comfort zones with this challenge ... It feels a bit strange hearing so many songs with no guitar. It makes me feel a little bit itchy. But it's a good itch.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

Manhattan Glutton wrote:Well played, Paco. You're just testing to see whether people listen to your songs, right?
He should have put in a line about how you used a bass synth in a "percussion only" fight.
Ross
Jump

Post by Ross »

So, scanning the list of remaining competitors, I was like, "holy cow" this is quite a group.

I have always thought round four is where shit gets very real - we are all in the top half, and a third of us are going - so who are the fourth round participant? Here are some notes I put together with help from the wiki - please correct fI got something wrong.

One thing - it is very clear that several of us have been mixed up in this thing together over and over again.

Krautkitten - Former Champion
The current pseudonym of Ben Krieger, infamous for his “Cable Beach” song fight entry. He won his first Nur Ein! in 2010, beating Berkeley Social Scence (Ken, Glenny, and Sam, among others) in the final. As is the Tradition with Nur Ein Champions, he served as a judge for Nur Ein VI.

Manhattan Glutton -
Joined The 6th Nur Ein in 2011, placing third behind Paco and the Worldly Self Assurance. In 2012 he made it to round five, placing 7th, and In 2013 he made it to the semis again, placing 4th. In his three previous entries he has always made at least round five.

Merisan -
One of the classic Ein Contenders, Sam and Erin, also veterans of the Berkeley Social Scene and Tiny Robots, are some of the perennial favorites of the Nur Ein! This year, they are guaranteed to make it to round five, having earned immunity in round three.
Although they did not participate in the first Ein in 2006, in 2007 they placed third. In 2008, they served as judges. In 2008, Tiny robots placed third again. In 2010, Berkeley Social Scene lost in the finals to Boop Boop (fellow round 4 competitor Ben Krieger.) In 2006, Merisan proper competed again, making it to the semis, but placing 4th overall behind fellow round 4 competitors Paco, Worldly Self Assurance (Glenny and Furry Pedro), and Manhattan Glutton, and edging out current round four competitor Ross Durand. Nur Ein! VII resulted in Merisan’s earliest elimination, in round 4, but this was due to defualt. In Nur Ein VIII, Merisan again rose to the top of the pack, winning round five and coming in fourth behind current judge Carlo Bruno, Paco, current fourth round competitor Cavedwellers, and Manahattan Glutton.

Cavedwellers (Glennny) - Former Champion (group member), three-time finalist.
Long time songfighter Glennny entered the second Ein! as part of the duo Thank Glenny for the Frisbee, getting eliminated in round four. In 2008, he was champion as part of the “Super Group” The Worldly Self Assurance,” edging out current fourth round competitor Ken Mahru. In keeping with tradition, Glennny served as a judge for the fourth Ein. As part of the Berkeley Social Scene, Glennny made it all the way to the finals of Nur Ein V. In 2011, The Worldly Self Assurance again went all the way to the finals, this time losing to current fourth-rounder Paco Del Stinko. In 2012, their journey ended in round six, placing 4th. Last year saw Glennny’s first entry as Cavedwellers, where he narrowly missed the finals to current judge Carlo Bruno and fellow competitor Paco Del Stinko.

Paco Del Stinko - Former Champion, three-time finalist
Paco joined us in the second Ein!, getting eliminated in Round 4. In the third Ein!, Paco was part of the Epic four-way final along with Ken Mahru and the members of the Worldly Self Assurance (including Pete and Glennny), where he placed third. The fourth Ein saw Paco meet his demise in the fourth round. Life happened in 2010 and Paco missed Nur EIn! 5, but he came back with a vengeance to win the 6th Ein, beating out Glennny and Pete, who were part of WSA, and leaving Manhattan Glutton, Merisan, and Ross Durand in the dust of round 6. He judged in 2012, of course. After writing a de facto theme song, Paco came back to the finals in Nur EIn VIII but lost a battle to new comer Carlo Bruno Jr.

Tydon Docks - participated in all nine Eins!
Arguably one of the most interesting and divisive characters in the Ein!, Caravan Ray has been in since the beginning, placing 10th in the first Ein as [artist name redacted].
Tex got all the way to Round 5 of the second Ein!, but had a poorer showing in 2008, dropping by default in the third round. As Sid Dennison, he moved back to round four in the fifth Ein!, but chose to serve as judge in 2011. As Genevieve Jones and the Chiefs, he saw his best result, making it all the way to round five, as he also did in The Eighth Ein! as Tydon Docks.

Nick Soma
Who is nick Soma? this is his first Ein.

Ross Durand - participated in all nine Eins! Two-time finalist
Ross is another member since the first Ein, and like Caravan Ray has participated in every Ein, including one stint as a judge. In Ein one he was eliminated in round four, as he was in the second Ein! In 2008 he was part of the epic four act final mentioned above (see “Paco”). Nur Ein! 5 saw Ross make round five again before serving as a judge the following year. He made it all the way to round six in 2011, but trailed Paco, WSS, Manhattan Glutton, and Merisan (5 of the other current twelve). Nur EIn! VII, saw Ross make the finals a second time, losing to Frankie Big Face. Last year he made it to round five again, but still trailed Paco, Glennny, Manhattan Glutton, and Merisan.

Balance Lost - Former Champion (group member), two-time finalist
Long time songfighter Furry Pedro joined the Second Nur Ein! as Balance Lost Balance Regained, but was eliminated in round three. In 2008 he became part of the champion team WSS which led to judging in 2009. He skipped the fifth Ein to return as part of WSS in 2011, where they made Finals again. In 2012, they made the semis. Last year, Balance Lost narrowly missed round five, being edged out by Tydon Docks.

Chocolate Chips
There is very little Nur Ein! History for Chocolate Chips, they participated in Nur EIn VII and were the sole judge’s elimination in round 4, where they were edged out by bgm (ben kreiger?) manhattan glutton, Tydon Docks (Genevieve Jones) WSS, and Ross Durand.

Ken Mahru - participated in all nine Eins! - two-time finalist
Where do you start with Ken Mahru? We’ll stick with his Ein history! The Third of the Original Einer’s (with C Ray and Ross), he placed fourth on the very first outing. He served as judge for the second Ein!, and was part of the four-way final in Nur Ein! three (this final included five of the current 12 competitors). As part of Tiny Robots, along with the members of Merisan, he placed 3rd in 2009, then came back to the final again in 2010 as part of BSS, where they were topped by Ben Kreiger. As part of WSA in 2011 and 12 he again made the finals and semi finals, respectively. 2013 saw his earliest elimination in the second round.

Rabid Garfunkel - Underdog
Every party needs a character. Rabid Garfunkel is our Nur Ein! underdog! He joined the second Ein, only to be eliminated in the first round. It must have scarred him, because he judged the next year. The third Ein! saw him once again out in round one. He improved to third round in 2010, where he was eliminated by default, a feat he repeated in round two of Nur Ein! VI. Unfortunately, 2011 saw him return to a first round elimination, and he defaulted again in the first round of Nur Ein VII. This year he is in round four - how far can he go?!?!?!?!

edited per feedback 5/19 9:25 am
Last edited by Ross on Mon May 19, 2014 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono

Post by Caravan Ray »

Ross wrote:Ken Mahru...The Third of the Original Einer’s (with C Ray and Ross)
Interesting - only 3 of us been in every one (and each with 8 as competitor and one as judge).

I will have to count back and see who has done the most Nur Ein songs. I recall I could lay claim to that early in the piece (up until round 5 of Nur Ein III, when Ross overtook me) - but would be pretty sure Ross and Ken have well overtaken me now. And probably also Merisan, Glennny, Paco and Pedro too. I had 2 default drop-outs in 2008 and 2009 when Nur Ein was interrupted by trips to New Zealand and New York.

BTW: Has anyone dropped out yet this year without an entry? I don't recall anyone. That must be a first.
===========
EDIT:
Ahhhh...Ghost Pup in Round 2.
Still - only one drop out must still be a record

EDIT AGAIN:
Oh - misread - Ken hasn't been involved in all nine - just me and Ross....and Niveous of course

AND AGAIN:

Seems Ross has done 48 entries. Well ahead of my 39.
I would guess that Ross must have done the most Nur Ein songs.
Might have to let Ken, Paco, Pedro, Glennny, Merisan ect. count up their own to check that.
glennny
Jump

Post by glennny »

Ken was part of WSA in NE 6 & NE 7.
DJ Ranger Den, defaulted this year.

I'm at 48 NE songs if I'm counting the 5 thus far in NE9

I count 51 for Ken Mahru, I think he holds the record.

Ben Krieger is not BGM.

Who is Nick Soma? Voice sounds familiar.

Nur Ein!!!!!
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Basic rock, at a basic level.
Recording Method: Roland 2480
Submitting as: Paco del Stinko

Post by Paco Del Stinko »

Man Glut wrote:Well played, Paco. You're just testing to see whether people listen to your songs, right?
Well, I know people don't always listen to my or other people's songs. I thought it would be fun to be kinda rotten, or ugly, for this. Of course, this is all tongue in cheek, exaggerating perceptions misconceived or otherwise. Meant in good fun. But man, my rhythm section is kind of stiff. That may be the real ugly here.

EIN history. It appears that I am either not in at all, out in the fourth, or make it to the finals. If I scrape by this round, look out! Serious bunch of talent remaining though, I am not brimming with confidence.
Bringin' the stink since 2006.
BenKrieger
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: A lot of instruments passably.
Recording Method: Sonar, UA preamp, Apogee Rosetta converter; Garage Band; Zoom recorder; iPhone
Submitting as: Boop Boop, Chokehold Princess, Rattlebox, Oystercatcher, Solo Frijoles
Pronouns: he/him

Post by BenKrieger »

I agree with Ross, this is where it gets real. Round 5 looks like a challenge that can be done easily if it was in R1, but needs to be stepped up for R5.

Ken and I had a similar idea in our songs this round! :lol:
Caravan Ray
bono
bono

Post by Caravan Ray »

Started writing my next song tonight.

Then deleted it and drank a bottle of wine.

NUR EIN!!!
noma
Mean Street
Instruments: Guitar, programming, various other stuff
Recording Method: Audacity
Submitting as: Nick Soma

Post by noma »

glennny wrote:Who is Nick Soma? Voice sounds familiar.
Who the hell am I? Well, just plain ol' me ;) This is my first Nur Ein, and I'm quite surprised I got this far (I thought I wouldn't make it past round 2 or 3). Which reminds me that I swore that if I made it past round 3, my next song would be about Italian fish soup... Hm. Maybe I'll manage to incorporate that in the next round (if I pass this one, that is...) :P
Caravan Ray wrote:Started writing my next song tonight.

Then deleted it and drank a bottle of wine.
NUR WEIN! :D
Caravan Ray
bono
bono

Post by Caravan Ray »

noma wrote:
glennny wrote:Who is Nick Soma? Voice sounds familiar.
Who the hell am I? Well, just plain ol' me ;)
Yeah..but who ARE you

BTW - from a quick listen this arvo - I would rate you winner next round.
Go Noma.
Manhattan Glutton
Ice Cream Man

Caravan Ray wrote:
Manhattan Glutton wrote:Well played, Paco. You're just testing to see whether people listen to your songs, right?
He should have put in a line about how you used a bass synth in a "percussion only" fight.
I know you're just trolling me, but here's a visual for anyone in doubt. I would never have picked bass that sounds like that.
fakebass.png
fakebass.png (47.99 KiB) Viewed 1463 times
Caravan Ray
bono
bono

Post by Caravan Ray »

ken wrote:I have about 30 tracks: hand claps, close vocals, far vocals, electronic drums and claps, acoustic drum kit, Vibraphone, Glockenspiel, Agogo, shakers, and goat toes.
Goat toes? I have always found I got better results with camel toes.