Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Angst
Recording Method: REAPER

Nur Ein IX Round Five "Fast Lane Junkies"

Post by Manhattan Glutton »

Fast Lane Junkies
Must include a section with both vocals & music in double time
Clarification time!
1. Must all of the music be double-time during that section?
2. Does the double-time vocal section have to happen at the same time as the double-time music section, or may they be separate sections?
3. What if there are no vocals, or no music? (In other words, is the challenge that double-time exists, or that there are specific elements in double-time?)
Last edited by Lunkhead on Wed May 11, 2016 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
noma
Mean Street
Instruments: Guitar, programming, various other stuff
Recording Method: Audacity
Submitting as: Nick Soma

Re: Nur Ein! IX Round 5

Post by noma »

Wow... and I thought this round didn't leave much room for speculation... :D

I considered the challenge to mean that there's one section in the song (like the chorus or something) where all of the music, that is, every instrument including the vocals, is in double time.
But, let's wait for the judges to clarify.
noma
Mean Street

Post by noma »

BTW, do you guys agree that the title and the challenge fit together exceptionally well this time?
Kind of makes it harder to do something original, though.
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

Manhattan Glutton wrote:
Fast Lane Junkies
Must include a section with both vocals & music in double time
Clarification time!
1. Must all of the music be double-time during that section?
2. Does the double-time vocal section have to happen at the same time as the double-time music section, or may they be separate sections?
3. What if there are no vocals, or no music? (In other words, is the challenge that double-time exists, or that there are specific elements in double-time?)
1.) I'm not sure what the other judges had in mind, but I'm thinking at least the percussion.
2.) Yes, it is mandatory that they both happen at the same time.
3.) Instrumentals and unaccompanied solo voice pieces have tended to fare poorly in Nur Ein. I believe the challenge is worded in such a way as to make both lyrics and instrumental backing mandatory.
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

By way of elucidation... This was initially just "must shift into double-time," but then we decided that that was letting you guys off easy, so the additional clause was added in there.

I can think of a ton of songs that do either half of the challenge, but I can't think of any off the top of my head that do both. So... have fun with that.

Lotsa words:

Double time:

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
Manhattan Glutton
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Angst
Recording Method: REAPER

Post by Manhattan Glutton »

Whew, it's a good thing I didn't start recording my jazz song yet.
noma
Mean Street

Post by noma »

Are these good examples for songs that do both?

Rabid Garfunkel
Jump
Instruments: Absurdity
Recording Method: iPhone, GarageBand & rando apps/toys
Submitting as: OZYMANDIPUS, Rabid Garfunkel, Primitive Screwheads
Pronouns: that guy

Post by Rabid Garfunkel »

My turn, my turn! Ooh! Literally double time, like: 120 bpm begets 240 bpm? :twisted:
"Urban cartoon music." -- Paco Del Stinko
Be my friend? --- Song of the Day
JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

Rabid Garfunkel wrote:My turn, my turn! Ooh! Literally double time, like 120 bpm begets 240 bpm? :twisted:
Yes, we won't be measuring with a metronome to make sure you got it right to the exact BPM, but a shift into double-time has a distinctly different "feel" from other tempo increases.

Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Lunkhead »

What if we play most of the song in halftime but shift to normal time for some sections? Or did you just mean, have a section with music and vocals that are twice the tempo of the rest of the song? :P
BenKrieger
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: A lot of instruments passably.
Recording Method: Sonar, UA preamp, Apogee Rosetta converter; Garage Band; Zoom recorder; iPhone
Submitting as: Boop Boop, Chokehold Princess, Rattlebox, Oystercatcher, Solo Frijoles

Post by BenKrieger »

"Revelations" by Iron Maiden.
JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

Lunkhead wrote:What if we play most of the song in halftime but shift to normal time for some sections?
I highly doubt that I'd ever know the difference. That's probably true for the other four as well.

furrypedro
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Guitar, programming
Recording Method: Cubase, Reason
Submitting as: Balance Lost

Post by furrypedro »

Generic wrote:3.) Instrumentals and unaccompanied solo voice pieces have tended to fare poorly in Nur Ein.
I've been thinking pretty much all throughout this Ein that it was about time there was an instrumental challenge. Especially considering we've now had 2 (sort of) vocals only/no instrument-type challenges (Kids from NE6 and The New Ugly).
glennny
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Mandolin, Dobro, Banjo, E-Bow, Glock
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene

Post by glennny »

Thats another game. It has cumulative points, no one is eliminated. rounds are : Instrumental, Rap, New Wave, Metal, Ballad, Country, Rock, B Game, A Game.

The judges are : Lyric Judge, Melody Judge, Judge Flow, Arrangement Judge, production Judge.

its called Nur Ein Nicht
Phillipso, Older Brothers, Semolina Pilchards, Zipline , Thank Glennny for the Frisbee, The Odoriferous Valley, The Worldly Self Assurance, Berkeley Social Scene, Very Gentle Knives, Daddy Bop Swing Set, GUNS, The Kraken Lives, Cavedwellers
noma
Mean Street

Post by noma »

furrypedro wrote:I've been thinking pretty much all throughout this Ein that it was about time there was an instrumental challenge.
You know what, I think that's a great idea. Not for Nur Ein though, but it would be cool as a separate sidefight. Like, you get a title and you have to write an instrumental with that title. The judges then rank the songs according to how much they think each entry fits the title. There could be some additional kind of challenge, too.
I would love to do that, but that's just me. Others might not like the idea of compulsory lyriclessness. (Yeah, I just made up a word :mrgreen: )
JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

noma wrote:Are these good examples for songs that do both?
I think the TMBG song would pass this challenge, but not the Nirvana song. Two things strike me about the Nirvana piece: First, I don't think that the tempo doubles. It goes up in degrees, but to my ears (on a first listen), it doesn't sound like a doubling. Secondly, when the tempo increases, I don't think the verse melody changes.

Here's another classic example of the double-time shift:

Note how Petty's vocals are the same tempo in the coda even though the drums and guitars are playing literally twice as fast as they do in the rest of the song. That would make it a poor fit for this particular challenge, even though it's a stunning example of a double-time shift on its own.

Here's another:

John Hiatt's vocals actually go slower when his music cuts into double-time at the end - he holds those soulful chorus notes even longer to match the rising passion of the song.

Now, here's an example of a song where the vocals/lyrics shift into overdrive while the music doesn't:

The verses are already pretty manic (this is Weird Al we're talking about, after all), but he goes all out for the bridge, stuffing in so many words that I literally don't know how he managed to control his breath for this. But since the music vamps pretty much the same over that bridge, it wouldn't count for this particular challenge.

glennny wrote:Thats another game. It has cumulative points, no one is eliminated. rounds are : Instrumental, Rap, New Wave, Metal, Ballad, Country, Rock, B Game, A Game.

The judges are : Lyric Judge, Melody Judge, Judge Flow, Arrangement Judge, production Judge.

its called Nur Ein Nicht
I would be up for this (minus the "B game" crap - if you're gonna be in it, be in it to win it).

glennny
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Mandolin, Dobro, Banjo, E-Bow, Glock
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene

Post by glennny »

yeah, that was mostly a joke, but to write a crappy song would be funny, and it'd be nice to have some category Merisan wouldn't dominate.
Phillipso, Older Brothers, Semolina Pilchards, Zipline , Thank Glennny for the Frisbee, The Odoriferous Valley, The Worldly Self Assurance, Berkeley Social Scene, Very Gentle Knives, Daddy Bop Swing Set, GUNS, The Kraken Lives, Cavedwellers
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Basic rock, at a basic level.
Recording Method: Roland 2480
Submitting as: Paco del Stinko

Post by Paco Del Stinko »

Actually, I kind of like the idea. Perhaps instead of crappy song it was joke or novelty. Hmm?
Bringin' the stink since 2006.
furrypedro
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Guitar, programming
Recording Method: Cubase, Reason
Submitting as: Balance Lost

Post by furrypedro »

Generic wrote:Here's another classic example of the double-time shift:

Note how Petty's vocals are the same tempo in the coda even though the drums and guitars are playing literally twice as fast as they do in the rest of the song. That would make it a poor fit for this particular challenge, even though it's a stunning example of a double-time shift on its own.
Ah man, I love that song, but that video is dodgy as hell! Never seen it before :lol:
BenKrieger
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: A lot of instruments passably.
Recording Method: Sonar, UA preamp, Apogee Rosetta converter; Garage Band; Zoom recorder; iPhone
Submitting as: Boop Boop, Chokehold Princess, Rattlebox, Oystercatcher, Solo Frijoles

Post by BenKrieger »

Can the song have the following?

Verse vocals & music: speed 2x

Chorus alternates between:
Music 4x and vocals 1x
Music 1x and vocals 4x

In other words, blatant doubling and quadrupling but implemented at blatantly opposite times for contrast?
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

Generic wrote:
Rabid Garfunkel wrote:My turn, my turn! Ooh! Literally double time, like 120 bpm begets 240 bpm? :twisted:
Yes, we won't be measuring with a metronome to make sure you got it right to the exact BPM, but a shift into double-time has a distinctly different "feel" from other tempo increases.
I was wondering about that (but didn't really want to play my "musically illiterate" card again by mentioning it). That is of course, exactly what I plan on doing (a bit tricky in Garageband - because you can't alter timing in a song - but I can bounce in a beat from a new project at double bpm). I assume that using the same beat - but twice as fast (and a corresponding speed up of guitar vocals etc) will fit the bill. But I suspect that "double time" doesn't really mean exactly twice as fast - but has something to do with beats per bar or something - which is the point where my eyes start to glaze over.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

glennny wrote:Thats another game. It has cumulative points, no one is eliminated. rounds are : Instrumental, Rap, New Wave, Metal, Ballad, Country, Rock, B Game, A Game.

its called Nur Ein Nicht
I remember suggesting something like that years ago - sort of as a musical equivalent of the Olympic Decathlon.