Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Re: Nur Ein X - Round Zero

Post by JonPorobil »

Alvis wrote:
Generic wrote:
I see your argument, but I would counter that BYD were not the only band this week that took that approach. Paco del Stinko, Orange Lazarus, and (arguably) Cavedwellers also did as well. BYD didn't "pull it off" as well as those other entries, but I think that has more to do with their inane lyrics (under the guise of being "funny") and weak vocal performance than with their approach to the challenge.
(Slow clap) That's the most backhanded defense we've ever been the recipients of. Well done. (Of course, it may be the ONLY defense we've been the recipients of, so there's that.)

I realize you're not a fan of our stuff and we put in a particularly half-hearted entry this go-round, but I'm hoping you'll refrain from gratuitous snark in future comments since you find us so loveable. I know the reviews themselves are a different animal; to your credit I think you nailed ours pretty succinctly.
That wasn't snark, that was an honestly-stated opinion. This isn't some kind of vendetta against you, but you turned in a song that was universally disliked by all five judges and everyone who's reviewed so far—and even you yourself call it "half-hearted." The reality of Nur Ein is that nobody here will stroke your ego for mediocre work. I don't think it's reasonable for you to turn in a half-hearted song and then expect everyone to tiptoe around that fact. This is NUR EIN! We don't use kid gloves here!

I don't dislike you as a person. And I do think you've been improving musically in the time I've been paying attention to your stuff. So I'm looking forward to seeing what you bring tomorrow night. Game on! NUR EIN!
frankie big face wrote:
Generic wrote: I see your argument, but I would counter that BYD were not the only band this week that took that approach. Paco del Stinko, Orange Lazarus, and (arguably) Cavedwellers also did as well. BYD didn't "pull it off" as well as those other entries, but I think that has more to do with their inane lyrics (under the guise of being "funny") and weak vocal performance than with their approach to the challenge.
It makes no sense for me to argue with a judge about another person's song, but no, I disagree. Only Cavedwellers took that tact and only for the last verse. Paco definitely did not do what I'm talking about and, even if Orange Lazarus (sort of) did, their lyrics were exceptional and therefore, they get a pass. Now stop it, Jon!
Perhaps you have different criteria for "self-referential?" Paco's lyrics were about reconciling his stage identity Paco against his "real" identity Charlie. Orange Lazarus touched on that theme, but it wasn't really the whole focus of his song (I'm assuming "Kasey" is him, anyway).

I thought Cavedwellers was kind of stretch when I suggested it anyway. The song is sort of a thesis statement in who they are and the philosophical allegory behind their name. It's more "mission statement" than "self-reference," so I'll concede that point. And yes, this is an especially nitpick-y disagreement even by Nur Ein standards. :lol:
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
RangerDenni
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: vocals, piano, drums, bit o’gitfiddle, other noisy stuff
Recording Method: cubase, pianoteq, desperation.
Submitting as: a mysterious presence of quiet silence and apology reverb
Pronouns: She/Her They/Them

Post by RangerDenni »

Actually.... :)
My song was so self referential that it was hardly a song at all and had started apologizing for itself on this thread, in the lyrics thread, and most of all during its own performance from inside the song itself. It referenced itself AND me AND how damn charming I am .... and it did this SO Hard Corely that I do not believe one Judge mentioned just how dreadedly "meta" the thing was--I had already done this! Perhaps by slathering precious orchestration and Vocal Mayonnaise upon the Issue, I disguised all this Ranger Den (TM) Nacho Cheeeeze--so that during a discussion of songs that were Self Referential on this very thread, I think I may have been missed Entirely for this apparent faux pas.

Gentlemen, my work here is done (as if!). Nur Ein. :) xx

ps. thank you all for you Extremely Generous reviews regarding my bit of FluffStuff. :)
pps. EDIT: Nope. Reist caught it. He said "Self Referential." Guess I better keep at it.
"Really interesting how the point you’re making slowly emerges like Martin Sheen from the mud in Apocalypse Now..." ~j$
BoffoYux
Panama
Instruments: Keys, Clunking, SFX and Strings
Recording Method: Audacity, Adobe, and other 'A' titled software
Submitting as: Boffo Yux Dudes

Post by BoffoYux »

Generic wrote: That wasn't snark, that was an honestly-stated opinion. This isn't some kind of vendetta against you, but you turned in a song that was universally disliked by all five judges and everyone who's reviewed so far—and even you yourself call it "half-hearted." The reality of Nur Ein is that nobody here will stroke your ego for mediocre work. I don't think it's reasonable for you to turn in a half-hearted song and then expect everyone to tiptoe around that fact. This is NUR EIN! We don't use kid gloves here!

I don't dislike you as a person. And I do think you've been improving musically in the time I've been paying attention to your stuff. So I'm looking forward to seeing what you bring tomorrow night. Game on! NUR EIN!
Jon - If you didn't mean it as snark, I'll take your word for it. I took it that way. You also missed Al's self effacing 'Half Hearted' as a slam on the quality of the work. Of course it's not our best work. It's done in less than a week. It's round zero. It wasn't slaved over, but there was thought and preparation put into the song.

We didn't just take a whiz in a bottle, slap an apple juice label on it and hand it to the judges to drink.

We did spend more time on our Round One song. Thought went into it, and I liked the idea, which, while basic, touched a few things we had wanted to flesh out. And now that it's in the can, I have a much better Idea that I wish we had time to do, but it'd be though of as petty, vindictive, and make people spew apple juice out their noses, so I'll refrain from finishing it at the moment.
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff
Pronouns: he/him

Post by ken »

Hi All,

I made a video for my round zero entry:

Nur Ein!

Ken
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
iVeg
Mean Street
Submitting as: inflatable vegetables

Post by iVeg »

Cool that you made a video!
facebook.com/ivegband
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

Reminds me what a good song that is, Ken. Even with your 'least menacing punch of all time ever' gesture :)

j$