Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots
Pronouns: he/him

Re: Nur Ein X - Round Three

Post by Lunkhead »

frankie big face wrote:
j$ wrote:Whereas I don't give a sh*t.

However, FBF, that's an amazing song. It floats all my boats. I haven't heard all the songs yet, but that was a very pleasant listen for me. Just had to say that.

j$
I suggest you just stop right there. Rank the others randomly—doesn't matter. :D

Thank you for the advance kind words.
Get a room, you two!
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

chocolatechips wrote:Frankie Big Face, cavedwellers, and a tous les... are standing out for me on first listens.
Yes. That is my first listen feeling too. Oh - and ManGlut of course
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

W.A.I.L. I.A.A.C.

My reviews may read like I hated this round - I didn't, I liked something about every song. I was just furious that no-one rhymed 'Byron Bay' with 'Caravan Ray' (no, Man Glut, not even YOU!) Come on how hard would it be to have slipped in 'Too scared to get laid / In old Byron Bay / In case I wake up with / Caravan Ray'! This shite writes itself ;) I would also like to add that I have always been at my most defensive when I've been involved in a collaboration via SF because I've encouraged someone to get involved in the glorious bunfight that is this wonderful place and I feel responsible for them - so maybe I should have been a little more careful with my lip. Ah well, Nur Ein, beyotches!!!

BL - More of the same. A pretty same but the same nonetheless. The Medway sound could do with an injection of teh fresh thinking? However the Magpie sings lovely as always.

CBJ - I love the joy of the music. Not so keen on the vocal / lyric this time round. But the mad brilliance of the arrangement wins so many bonus points I don't think you have anything to worry about from me.

CD - What I love about punk is is took the only good things from folk (anger, simplicity) and left behind all the one-legged flute-playing hippy shite behind. That said this is really well done, love the vocal, and the violin brings a nice new edge. But it's massively pretentious and WAY TOO LONG FOR WHAT IT IS! I may have said this before, mind ...

DRJD - Not a fan of spoken music. This sounds good (and hubby has an appealing twang) but it's too long for a story about merpeople of the southern hemesphere. I got a bit bored, got to say.

DuToVa - I may be one of the few outspoken fans of DuToVa, and I can't quite put my finger on why exactly - for instance I shouldn't love the 'sax', the metal licks, the remarkably portentious lyric - but something clicks for me. I think it's the abundance of ideas, good and bad, and the lack of worrying about what other people think that oozes out of the song. It sounds like you're having a lot of fun making your songs, unlike almost everyone else in this competition. I sincerely hope I get to say the same thing this time next week ...

FBF - Yeah, this is lovely. An interesting but still catchy chord / melody progession. Maybe the electronica wall kicks in a little forcefully / early and maybe the lyric is a little ... 'chunky' but damn it's a damn catchy song that knows what it sets out to do and does it. And even, as I suspect, that's a didgeridoo VST, it adds another level anyway. Runaway winner, for me.

IVEG - this is not the terrifyingly bad surf song I feared it would be from reading the lyric. And the lyric's pretty 'wacky'. That's not a good thing in my book. But again, it's a catchy little tune. Even though those harmonies are a little ... sloppy. It kind of goes nowhere, but goes there nicely (apart from the bridge, which is quite abject). Did I mention I didn't like the lyric?

Ken - i can't decide whether this is awful or pretty good. I hate the literal take on Lord Byron in the first line, for instance. And all this wimbling about 'destination weddings' doesn't do much for me. It sounds like the early 90s. Those are the things I don't like. What I do like is it rolls along nicely. The vocal works well in the style. It's very pleasant listen. it's definitely above-average.

Man Glut - nah, that's not just funny. Sorry, man. Also I feel you met the challenge rather than trying to think about making effort with it. It's fine, if bad impressions of Caravan Ray are what you think Nur Ein is about. Maybe they are - just not for me. if you can't be bothered, neither can I ...

MJS - A little slow to get going and never quite goes far enough for me. But it's lovely nonetheless and you get bonus points for continuing to impress me with your experimentation. This could be a hands-down winner with a little more consideration of people who need to be eased into this kind of music but even as it is, it's pretty damn fine.

Nick Soma - Sounds like a Psychedelic Furs B-side. That's actually a back-handed compliment. Them's some clumsy words but it's a pleasant enough listen. Not making me want to rush out and buy the "debut album", mind ...

Rabid - This is a tricky one for me - I love the inventiveness and bizarre-in-a-good-way arrangement and the mix is like 150% better than last time, but the melody isn't strong enough / doesn't come across well enough for this campfire song approach ... it gets better as it goes on but to be honest, that first verse makes me wince ... so 70% for the idea and the song itself / 30% for the actualisation. Who knows what that turns out in score form? I guess I will, soon enough ...

CC - this is probably my favourite CC song so far this Nur Ein. it all kinds of holds together in a way that it hasn't always up until now. It just has an excellent mood about it. I'd like to hear your voices in harmony but can't have it all, right? Nice work, not a world-beater but a solidly enjoyable piece of music.

ATLM - Hmmm, yeah, this is pretty fantastic. Obviously I have no idea what the lyric is about and I like that. It is a wonderful listen. The rhythm guitar may be a little mainstream western (nothing wrong with that per se) but it creates such a lovely contrast with the less 'indie' elements and there is so much going on the arrangement I love, that's about the only thing I can complain about. Also lovely guitaring. Maybe a *tiny* bit too long.

PdS - I like creepy punk meets surf. Those BVs are great. As are the vocals. You do creepy as well as anyone I know (except maybe me :) ) Yeah, you can fire out this in your sleep but who cares when it sounds so good? Also bonus points for rhyming gazebo with torpedo.
Last edited by j$ on Tue May 12, 2015 5:27 pm, edited 5 times in total.
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

Lunkhead wrote:
frankie big face wrote:
j$ wrote:Whereas I don't give a sh*t.

However, FBF, that's an amazing song. It floats all my boats. I haven't heard all the songs yet, but that was a very pleasant listen for me. Just had to say that.

j$
I suggest you just stop right there. Rank the others randomly—doesn't matter. :D

Thank you for the advance kind words.
Get a room, you two!
I thought losers got banned from this competitors' thread? Shouldn't you be posting in 'Nein'? :)
frankie big face
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, Bass, Guitar, Saxophone, Flute, Keyboard, Violin, Other Stuff
Recording Method: Logic, UAD Apollo Twin, aging iMac
Submitting as: frankie big face

Post by frankie big face »

j$ wrote: FBF - And even, as I suspect, that's a didgeridoo VST, it adds another level anyway.
WHOA WHOA WHOA WHOA WHOA. I appreciate you giving me something to complain about in a glowing review because, apparently, complaining is my thing. But you are not seriously accusing me of cheating, are you? Shall I post all 4:30 minutes of Scot playing? And a picture of him holding it? And the extra 3:00 file he sent as well? And all of our correspondence about it?

I am concerned about this...if you think I used a "VST" (whatever that it—sounds like something for which you should get penicillin), others may think I did as well. :roll:
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Lunkhead »

j$ wrote:I thought losers got banned from this competitors' thread? Shouldn't you be posting in 'Nein'? :)
I know, I know. I couldn't resist doing a drive-by for that one though, just the one time. :) I plan to pipe down till round 7. Then I plan to unleash a torrent of vitriol, mu hu ha ha ha.
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

Lunkhead wrote:
j$ wrote:I thought losers got banned from this competitors' thread? Shouldn't you be posting in 'Nein'? :)
I know, I know. I couldn't resist doing a drive-by for that one though, just the one time. :) I plan to pipe down till round 7. Then I plan to unleash a torrent of vitriol, mu hu ha ha ha.
:) Don't worry, I've got the vitriol covered 'til you show up again ;)
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

frankie big face wrote:
j$ wrote: FBF - And even, as I suspect, that's a didgeridoo VST, it adds another level anyway.
WHOA WHOA WHOA WHOA WHOA. I appreciate you giving me something to complain about in a glowing review because, apparently, complaining is my thing. But you are not seriously accusing me of cheating, are you? Shall I post all 4:30 minutes of Scot playing? And a picture of him holding it? And the extra 3:00 file he sent as well? And all of our correspondence about it?

I am concerned about this...if you think I used a "VST" (whatever that it—sounds like something for which you should get penicillin), others may think I did as well. :roll:
Ah, Mr. Big of Face, you miss my point. It sounds so damn fine, I assumed 'for winding up the easy to wind up' comic fun, I would suggest it must be a VST. Which wouldn't be cheating anyway, if Scott chose to play that. It's a compliment to the man, already! Jeez, why don't you and Lunkhead get a room, already :)
frankie big face
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, Bass, Guitar, Saxophone, Flute, Keyboard, Violin, Other Stuff

j$ wrote:
frankie big face wrote:

Ah, Mr. Big of Face, you miss my point. It sounds so damn fine, I assumed 'for winding up the easy to wind up' comic fun, I would suggest it must be a VST. Which wouldn't be cheating anyway, if Scott chose to play that. It's a compliment to the man, already! Jeez, why don't you and Lunkhead get a room, already :)
I don't know... Next, you'll be telling me that's not a real tribe of aborigines singing my chorus.
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

It isn't? Better alter my vote then!

j$
glennny
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Mandolin, Dobro, Banjo, E-Bow, Glock
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene

Post by glennny »

@J$- Why would you bring up punk rock in a review of our song that is clearly a folk tune? Are we to believe that you only appreciate punk songs? I know this isn't true. I know you like your share of Jethro Tull and Supertramp. I know we share the same favorite Lou Reed album ( Berlin) which is one of the greatest art-rock albums of all time. No one is questioning your punk rock credibility. Anyway, thanks for the review!
Phillipso, Older Brothers, Semolina Pilchards, Zipline , Thank Glennny for the Frisbee, The Odoriferous Valley, The Worldly Self Assurance, Berkeley Social Scene, Very Gentle Knives, Daddy Bop Swing Set, GUNS, The Kraken Lives, Cavedwellers
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

... because everything your (undeniably good) song brought to the mix reminded me about the only thing I like about folk - i.e. the bits Punk co-opted. And because, as a punk rock song with violin it would have been supremely palatable. Sadly, though I claim no great understanding of folk or prog, from my reference points, It wasn't the 'Tramp, or the 'Tull - to me, it was the Levellers. Or the Incredible String Band. Or if I'm being really cruel, Pentangle.

What, did you expect *me* to like it? What, can't you read? :)

Welcome to the business end of Nur Ein!

Good violining, mind ...

j$
glennny
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Mandolin, Dobro, Banjo, E-Bow, Glock
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene

Post by glennny »

Good answer. J$ , I thoroughly enjoy your reviews and your viewpoint. It's incredibly frustrating to try and please you, and you don't want me to anyway. So we're just writing music we love, and hoping people like it.
Phillipso, Older Brothers, Semolina Pilchards, Zipline , Thank Glennny for the Frisbee, The Odoriferous Valley, The Worldly Self Assurance, Berkeley Social Scene, Very Gentle Knives, Daddy Bop Swing Set, GUNS, The Kraken Lives, Cavedwellers
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

Two of the judges are still working on their ballots, so I'm not holding out hope for getting results in tonight. Check again in the morning; I'll post the winner and eliminations as soon as I can!
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
RangerDenni
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: vocals, piano, drums, bit o’gitfiddle, other noisy stuff
Recording Method: cubase, pianoteq, desperation.
Submitting as: a mysterious presence of quiet silence and apology reverb
Pronouns: She/Her They/Them

Post by RangerDenni »

thanks for the review, j$ :) I don't think I said thanks last round (to anyone else either.. :( )
I also don't know how to say "I'm sorry you got bored," without apologizing, because we had a raucous good time making the song and I suppose I should care more about my audience as an entertainer who is trying to be more entertaining. I did think of making it shorter like a proper commercial. I would have if someone were paying me. Those cheap ass merfolk! I chose to self-indulge. :)
"Really interesting how the point you’re making slowly emerges like Martin Sheen from the mud in Apocalypse Now..." ~j$
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

glennny wrote:Good answer. J$ , I thoroughly enjoy your reviews and your viewpoint. It's incredibly frustrating to try and please you, and you don't want me to anyway. So we're just writing music we love, and hoping people like it.
Den wrote:I suppose I should care more about my audience as an entertainer who is trying to be more entertaining.
I would never encourage anyone to do anything that write music they love. Like Glennny says it's incredibly frustrating to try and please me - I wouldn't expect anyone to try.

j$
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

OK. I have a few minutes to spare between the rinse and the spin cycle:

À Tous les Monsieurs: Fabulous. Singing in Japanese was a stroke of brilliance. Byron is full of Japenese. surfer dudes.
Balance Lost: High quality as usual - but not wining level
Carlo Bruno Jr.: This is pretty weird. I like it
Cavedwellers: Fabulous. I love a historical ballard
DJ Ranger Den: Meh. Nice idea, but…
DuToVa: Not at all bad, but didn't really grab me
Frankie Big Face: This is pretty cool. Great job on the lyrics
Inflatable Vegetables: Some problems with lyrics with this - didn't quite pull off what you were aiming for
Ken Mahru: Less than your usual standard
Manhattan Glutton: A masterpiece. despite the worst accents I have ever heard in my life.
Michael J. Samuels: Interesting. Love your work, maybe not my thing - but keep doing it
Nick M. Soma: Like the lyrics - execution not up you your usual high standard.
Rabid Garfunkel : WTF? This one didn't really hit the title for me
The Chocolate Chips: Nice work Chippy. You best one so far

Paco: If you are in this - you would progress to the next round easily
Rabid Garfunkel
Jump
Instruments: Absurdity
Recording Method: iPhone, GarageBand & rando apps/toys
Submitting as: OZYMANDIPUS, Rabid Garfunkel, Primitive Screwheads
Pronouns: that guy

Post by Rabid Garfunkel »

Ah well. If'n you got to explain, you didn't do your job as a writer. Shoulda stuck with the usual creepy creepy stabby stabby instead of going historical high concept. Another lesson learned.

Congrats to the survivors, and Nur Ein!
"Urban cartoon music." -- Paco Del Stinko
Be my friend? --- Song of the Day
frankie big face
Ice Cream Man

Caravan Ray wrote: Frankie Big Face: This is pretty cool. Great job on the lyrics
Thank you! I was wondering if my references would make sense to a "local." The names of those places and things (Julian Rocks! Tuckaroo! Broken Head!) are so vivid and evocative—the lyric almost wrote itself. But I didn't know if it would work for you—that was the risk. I just knew I wanted to use the word "defenestrate"—that was my starting point for the whole song and concept.

Glad you liked the song.
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

My full reviews are going to be late this week, as I haven't been able to carve out the time to write them. The summary is that I mostly agree with the rankings, though I'm disappointed to see DJ Ranger Den go out on such an entertaining gamble, and I think Frankie more or less got robbed. Frank, your entry was beautiful and haunting, and easily my favorite of the songs I've heard for Nur Ein X so far—possibly even one of my favorite Nur Ein songs ever. Really excellent work.
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
frankie big face
Ice Cream Man

Thank you Jon. It seems I am forever the bridesmaid this year.

It always stings, but to lose to à tous les monsieurs is especially humiliating. I mean, those guys are just a bunch of hacks! That girl is probably not even Japanese and who knows what she's really singing. Plus, I think he used a VST!
à tous les monsieurs
A New Player
Instruments: plucked strings, administration, coercion
Submitting as: à tous les monsieurs

Post by à tous les monsieurs »

frankie big face wrote: Plus, I think he used a VST!
No VST. I am vaccinated.