j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Re: Nur Ein X - Round Six

Post by j$ »

glennny wrote:Thanks to the judges!
Waah waah waah. Suck-up.
glennny wrote:Someday I hope to write some lyrics that J$ likes and isn't too wordy for Frankie
Waah waah waah, no-one *understands* my art. (also, it's always been j$ not J$, but thanks for paying attention :p)
glennny wrote:If the rules were different we might focus on pleasing a couple of judges in particular and letting comments of others go ignored.
Waah waah waah. Yeah I've won but I still want to be pissy about it.
glennny wrote: We have our work cut out for us. Nick is a monster. He is amazing, and I'm quite a fan.
Waah, waah. waah. Get a room, already. It's a queen-sized double.

BRING YOUR A-GAME.
j$ wrote:NUR EIN :)
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

frankie big face wrote:I think it's interesting that all of the eliminated artists ranked 1st on at least one judge's card while the Cavedwellers, who won the round, did not rank 1st on any! :shock:
Yep. Mediocrity pays off. ;)
Generic wrote: All but one of the judges thought that Cavedwellers had the second best song (and in my opinion is was really close; I had them at #1 at first, then switched them with #2 after a short but agonizing deliberation). There was no consensus about the #1 slot (Nick got two judges to rank him in first place, the other three competitors topped one list each). So Cavedwellers got the win!
Yeah. I'll own up and say I was the judge that had CDs at 3. But on listening again this morning after sending my scores, I think I could have very easily swapped my rankings for 2 and 3 had I had a few more listens before scoring. Nick's song was my very clear favourite of the round. Other judges had different favourites. But the CDs were everyone's second favourite. That deserves the win.
frankie big face
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, Bass, Guitar, Saxophone, Flute, Keyboard, Violin, Other Stuff
Recording Method: Logic, UAD Apollo Twin, aging iMac
Submitting as: frankie big face

Post by frankie big face »

Just to be clear (because I know people are sensitive), I just said it was interesting. I wasn't placing any judgment on anything, including the Nur Ein judging system. After ten years, I'm not really surprised by anything that happens with the scores.

Bottom line is, in a five-man race, if you scored above the middle on a majority of the judges' cards, you absolutely deserve to advance.
furrypedro
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Guitar, programming
Recording Method: Cubase, Reason
Submitting as: Balance Lost

Post by furrypedro »

frankie big face wrote:I just said it was interesting
You absolute bastard, Frankie!

I think I should get some kind of special prize for getting a full house of being ranked 1st, 2nd, 3rd 4th and 5th in a round of 5 people. A bag of Haribo maybe?

Oh yeah, and congratulations to the Nick Caves! I definitely hope you don't get hit by busses or anything totally not bitter
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

furrypedro wrote:
frankie big face wrote:I just said it was interesting
You absolute bastard, Frankie!

I think I should get some kind of special prize for getting a full house of being ranked 1st, 2nd, 3rd 4th and 5th in a round of 5 people. A bag of Haribo maybe?

Oh yeah, and congratulations to the Nick Caves! I definitely hope you don't get hit by busses or anything totally not bitter
BYW - you owe me several beers just getting this far Pedro. Yes - i was the judge that saved your sorry arse few times I think. shame you are not an attractive middle aged lady. I might have been able to get you into the final.
furrypedro
Ice Cream Man

Post by furrypedro »

Caravan Ray wrote:shame you are not an attractive middle aged lady.
If Caitlyn Jenner has taught us anything...

Surely the enjoyment of the music is it's own reward? No? Anyway, from the sounds of it you were a gnats pube away from consigning me further into the depths of elimination this round. I still haven't forgiven Pigfarmer Jr for the wishy-washiness that scuppered my righteous path to glory. You haven't heard the last of me, Nur Ein! (Shakes fist)

But seriously, I do appreciate the judges for giving their time to listen to our amateur caterwauling, particularly Jon for the organisation of this years thingy. Cheers guys, I think we all owe you a beer, or a hooch or whatever you kids drink these days.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono

Post by Caravan Ray »

furrypedro wrote:
Caravan Ray wrote:shame you are not an attractive middle aged lady.
If Caitlyn Jenner has taught us anything...

Surely the enjoyment of the music is it's own reward? No? Anyway, from the sounds of it you were a gnats pube away from consigning me further into the depths of elimination this round. I still haven't forgiven Pigfarmer Jr for the wishy-washiness that scuppered my righteous path to glory. You haven't heard the last of me, Nur Ein! (Shakes fist)

But seriously, I do appreciate the judges for giving their time to listen to our amateur caterwauling, particularly Jon for the organisation of this years thingy. Cheers guys, I think we all owe you a beer, or a hooch or whatever you kids drink these days.
Are you buying beer? Me and Caitlyn will be there in about 18 hours.
frankie big face
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, Bass, Guitar, Saxophone, Flute, Keyboard, Violin, Other Stuff
Recording Method: Logic, UAD Apollo Twin, aging iMac
Submitting as: frankie big face

Post by frankie big face »

Get a room, you two!
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Lunkhead »

frankie big face wrote:Get a room, you two!
Stop stealing my line, you bums! :P
furrypedro
Ice Cream Man

Post by furrypedro »

We're in a room!
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

Reviews from a Judge!

Overall comments: This challenge was my idea, but boy did I regret it. It took me several listens to each song before I could stop compulsively counting along with them! It felt like my own mild compulsion was interfering with my ability to enjoy these five otherwise terrific songs! (Frank certainly didn't help things by shouting out semirandom numbers in the middle of Erik's song…)

Anyway, I think all five competitors know that it's a huge accomplishment to have made it this far and there's no shame at all in being eliminated this late. I may sound highly nitpicky here, but the fact of the matter is that I'm digging deep into these songs and trying to figure out what makes them tick, because you all know you have the fundamentals down pat. In Round Zero we had some competitors with out-of-tune harmonies. In Round One we had people whose lyrics didn't scan with their melodies and some who just didn't get the rudiments of mixing. Now it's Round Six and we're way past all that. So just realize that when I go on a tangent in these reviews about something that isn't working for me, it's because your song is SO GOOD that we didn't need to talk about all that basic stuff. Excellent work all around!

À Tous Les Monsieurs
I think the conclusion here is obvious: you shouldn't have dropped the gimmick of putting your name in the lyrics. :-)

Given your jazz bona fides and the fact that your song's lyrics deal directly with math and large numbers, I was mildly disappointed when I realized that this doesn't have any time signature changes. I'm with Frank in that I suspect there's a significance to the numbers and the placement of some of the vocals is intentional and has some kind of mathematical meaning, but it eludes me on these first ten-or-so listens. This is really strong work, and you didn't seem to have any trouble composing in 7/4, which makes sense. I also didn't mind your French this time around (plus: bonus Latin!). "Le monde has been spun" was a particularly good line.

Fun fact: I sometimes have trouble counting in 7/4, probably because "seven" has two syllables, and when the two-syllable number gets the final beat in a measure it kind of throws me off for some reason. So when I hear a song in 7/4, I always resort to counting it out in French, because the first seven numbers (actually the first thirteen) are monosyllabic. So while you're counting out semirandom numbers in English, I'm whispering "Un deux trois quatre cinq six sept, un deux trois…" That's not really germane to the song, but I figured you'd find it amusing.

There were some things about this song I did not care for. The phrase "ten hundred" grates on me. I felt like the lyrics in general didn't make progress throughout the song. These are minor gripes, and it feels frustrating that these minor things were enough to get you eliminated, but that's kind of how Round Six works. In an earlier round (probably any earlier round) this would have been a solid survivor.

Balance Lost
In this round, everyone except for Cavedwellers had at least one judge rank them #1. I was the one whose list had you at the top this week. I admit that it was very very close, and that I had Glen and Lee in first place on my first listen, but yours improved with repetition. It took me a while to successfully count out your meter (and, yes, it was difficult for me to enjoy the song until I did). And after I'd cracked it, I ruminated for a bit about whether 12/8 (or 6/4, depending on how you count) was "odd" enough… but there's something about that rhythm, it just sweeps you along. I let the organ and guitar just kind of carry me off. Initially I thought that you had featured multiple time sig changes in the song, but closer listening revealed that you're staying steady and I just had trouble counting to twelve. Your vocals compliment the mood nicely, seeming kind of bittersweet and pensive. The "Good reasons outnumbered by the bad" line works very well as a short hook. Your percussion seems to improve with every song, and the handclaps in this one were a particularly nice touch. I thought this was a clear first-or-second-place song, and I was surprised to see you eliminated. (It would have been interesting to have two WSA members face off in the final, wouldn't it have?) Bravo, Pedro.

Cavedwellers
This was a very close second in my rankings, so I was relieved to see it not only survive, but actually win the round! 9/8 is kind of the oddest time sig there is, right? Three, thrice. You mentioned stressing some other beats to keep the pattern, but my ear keeps hearing "ONE two three TWO two three THREE two three." Not that it matters; it was a good take on the challenge, and you guys carried it well. The switch to 7/8 was welcome - and it's impressive in its own right that you can make 7/8 sound like the "normal" part of the song! It tricked me at first because I thought you had transitioned to a standard 8/8, but near the end of the first chorus I realized that both time signatures were "odd." Props for the catchiest chorus in the whole round, and the spot harmonies were nice there too. Hey, was that the first appearance of the e-bow this whole year? I like the solo, and I feel like the overall pacing is pretty much right. This is probably the tenderest song I've ever heard to include the phrase "Idiots are everywhere." I know the curse of caring too much about people who are not worthy of that much emotional investment. Excellent work, and good luck in the final round!

Frankie Big Face
Let's get the good stuff on the table first. The power-pop vibe of this song is perfect, and it's catchy throughout. The riff, the verse and chorus melodies both, and the overall mood are great. You sound like a band, like a really tight four-piece, and all four musicians are in the pocket and working. You happen to have written, some twelve years ago, one of my all-time favorite time signature changes, in your "Scared to Death," and the switch from 7/4 to 4/4 here is on that level, it's that good. Your lyrics also have some clever rhymes!

However…

It's really difficult for me to get on board for a song about the Duggars. If this song had been written three or four weeks ago and been otherwise exactly the same, I would have been rolling my eyes and trying to get over it, but with the recent news about them, this feels opportunistic but also strangely toothless. I read your description above in which you said you wanted to try satire through sincerity, but I think that you wound up bypassing satire altogether. The lyrics do have a clear story and it progresses/escalates nicely, but I never really sense much conflict here, other than some of the subtle word choices like "fully encumbered," which vaguely hints at the idea that the "happily" part just might be forced and insincere on the narrators' part. I'm not even sure that was your intent with those word choices, but it's the most charitable reading I can suggest. In general, I just don't get the sense that there's a satirical target, or a point being made at all.

You've been on fire lately, so it was with a heavy heart that I ranked you as low as I did. In any other round, you might have gotten away with it. But when the competition is this strong (and when we have to eliminate over half of them), the song about reality TV is pretty much never going to top the heap with this judge.

Nick M. Soma
I've listened to this a dozen time by now, and I still don't really have much to say. I'm sorry about that. I feel like I've been rambling to the point of near-incoherence on all the other songs, but for some reason this one leaves me scratching my head and going "Yup, pretty good song, man." I had you smack dab in the middle this week. I liked it. I thought the time signature added a layer of musical (theory) complexity you don't normally exhibit, and switching to 15/4 was interesting because it gives the listener a false sense of security: three measures of 4/4, then WHOA, what just happened? (Also, this was by far the hardest song to count along with this week.) The counting may have interfered with my ability to listen to the lyrics, because I honestly can't remember anything about them, even though I've listened to the song about a dozen times. Sorry I'm not as cogent as usual for this review. Yup. Pretty good song, man. Bring your A-Game next round.

NUR EIN!!!!!!!
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
à tous les monsieurs
A New Player
Instruments: plucked strings, administration, coercion
Submitting as: à tous les monsieurs

Post by à tous les monsieurs »

Hi Jon. Erik directed me to your review of my song (which is why I'm posting from his account). This is probably the most bullshit review I've ever received. I have no idea who the Duggars are (Erik just explained it to me). I really wish you would stop forcing your own agenda on my (and everyone else's) songs. To tell me how awesome my song is and then that you ranked it so low based on your best guess as to what I was writing about is beyond exasperating for me as a contestant.
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

Then I'm baffled. What else could possibly have been implied by this?
Our own TV show?
Sure, we've still got room to grow!
How many cameras have you got?
A sweet endorsement deal
We've got strong red state appeal
I mean, even if you don't know specifically about 19 Kids and Counting and the recent controversy surrounding it, your song is demonstrably about a family with a lot of children and a reality show—in other words, if not the Duggars in particular, then your song is about a family almost exactly like the Duggars.

The recent news of the eldest Duggar son's sexual misconduct casts a pall over any mention of that particular family, but even without that context, I think most of my critique of your lyrics stands up: it's not clear to me what the intended target of your satire is, nor what point you're trying to make about it. I'm sorry it didn't work for me and I'm sorry you got eliminated. As for "forcing my own agenda," the competition is nearly over, so consider your wish granted.
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
Caravan Ray
bono
bono

Post by Caravan Ray »

Generic wrote:This challenge was my idea, but boy did I regret it.
Yeah. Me too. I didn't play any role in selecting that one - but I would have voted against it. Too complicated for me. If I had have been a contestant I would have been lost (unless 3/4 was considered 'odd' - I don't get the 'time signature' stuff). And odd time signatures tend to just make songs sound "jazz like" and hence unpleasant.

So - the challenge really played no role in my judging, except in maybe the more I noticed it, the lower I scored - which is of course entirely unfair. But life is unfair.

So, Nick's was the clear favourite. It was just a good song, with no unpleasantness time wise. BL, CD and FBF were all hard to separate. FBF's song made me think of the "Outnumbered" sitcom too - it was OK, but not his strongest work, and the lesser of that group of 3. Likewise BL, a good song, not his best - but not at all unpleasant. CD's used the challenge the best. I think it actually did enhance their song. Jarred slightly on first listen, but improved on subsequent listens. I could have given CDs and extra point - but the results would not have changed at all.

ATLM - sorry. I'm sure you used the challenge in good faith - but sadly, that just turned this judge right off. My judging has been purely personal and subjective - and I just didn't like this. Shame - your others have been a highlight of this years competition - Byron Bay in particular.