Do You Have A Plan (on how you're gonna get your reviews done?)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
lichenthroat
Mean Street
Recording Method: MuseScore & Ardour or Reaper
Submitting as: Lichen Throat, Dimetrodon, Sparetooth, Dessert Tortoise
Pronouns: he/him

Re: Do You Have A Plan (on how you're gonna get your reviews done?)

Post by lichenthroat »

jb wrote:
Lichen Throat
Buddy, I know you're just getting your feet wet and I hope this doesn't discourage you, but this entry is three minutes and 13 seconds of tuneless singing with little variation. It’s recorded pretty well, but it doesn’t matter because man it’s just not listenable. Don’t let me put you off though, I'm just an asshole with an opinion. The archive is full of terrible, terrible songs. BTW it sounds like Chinese music because you use a pentatonic scale in that violin melody. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1tcovZ4_Sc
"Three minutes and 13 seconds of tuneless singing with little variation" is an accurate description. I had wondered about the pentatonic scale thing after doing a little research last night; thanks for the explanation and the link. I genuinely appreciate both the candor and the encouragement that you and others have offered; the community here has a really good mix of both. My next entry, by the way, is only two minutes and six seconds of tuneless singing, so at least that's a slight improvement.
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott
Pronouns: he/him

Re: Do You Have A Plan (on how you're gonna get your reviews done?)

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

jb wrote: Pigfarmer Jr.
You worked really hard to get the wide-panned doubled guitars exactly right, and then slacked off on the vocal rhythms, especially when they are doubled. Man, do takes until you get it right! The lyrics are heartfelt, but some of them seem tossed-off because they ramble. When you do a repeated thing like “they’re gonna make, they’re gonna make, they’re gonna make you pay” it would help to have the musical arrangement reinforce the lines using the same rhythm. It’ll make it sound like you wrote it purposefully rather than stuck vocals on top of music and called it a song.
Spot on critique. Thanks. I didn't really work hard on the guitars. I just played it twice and then edited the one spot that was glaringly off. So thanks for that. It means my timing may actually be improving slightly. You also nailed the vocals. I actually just used unused vocal passes as background. In hindsight I could have done a much better job with much less work with a simple move. *slaps head*
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang