Cutting corners on your mix? (They Know reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
TheNewMelvin
A New Player
Submitting as: Melvin

Re: Cutting corners on your mix? (They Know reviews)

Post by TheNewMelvin »

Hey Songfighters, it's Melvin! Long time no see. The gentlemen of The Worldly Self-Assurance were recently chatting and it got me feeling real misty about Songfight! Thought I’d check out the latest crop of tunes. What a delight. After, oh, a few weeks of trying to find my password then create a new profile, I am finally able to post my impressions:

Reve + Ujn
I was hooked right off the bat. The major keyish change at 1:48 and 2:45 was a surprise. A chorus I guess. I like your arrangement and production sensibilities. Vocal melody and pitch would be areas to work on. Or slap autotune on it.

Metroboys
Inventing a new genre for the first 30 seconds or so. I could see you guys playing in a bar that would scare me.

James Owens
Lush. Feels like a big stage musical. You’re singing this on the back of a suspended Pegasus unicorn, flying across Mt Rushmore.

Midnight Yacht Club
This has my heart. Just being totally honest, your name sounded a little too cute and I acted like I wasn’t going to like you, but within moments of pressing play, I was swooning. Keep this spirit going, please.

Pigfarmer Jr
I dug this. I like when you double the vocals. Production-wise, I found the voice and guitar really present, bordering on harsh, and the bass and drums quite buried. I’d probably mess around with that a bit. More importantly, good tune, good performance.

Ujn + Reve
Whoa, now I’m hearing your second track of the fight, and the opening moments feel cinematic. Here come the vocals and they seem so much more… autotuned? OK, I won’t try to guess what’s going on here. I feel like I’m watching a musical for the second time tonight. Dramatic song. I dig the passion.

OG Lawn Darts
Right away, I want to like this based on the artist name. Holy fucking shit it’s Smalltown motherfucking Mike!! Hey bro! What’s up? You going to put my hardcore album out on that badass label of yours or wat?? Just kidding. This is tight. Dig the upbeat thing. You sound great.

Third Cat
This is superduper sweet! Wow, the first minute transported me back to my old basement with my borrowed drum kit and a big dirty moving blanket nailed to the wall to dampen the sound. By which I mean it reminded me of my younger self and the joy and agony of making music at earlier times in my life. Nostalgic ear candy. Awesome! Thank you.

Faster Jackalope
Is this a song I used to love cranking on 102.1 The Edge in my green Volkswagen Golf in 1998, or is this new music by some amazing person or people who love singing self-deprecating lyrics with catchy-as-fuck melodies and harmonies over big crunchy guitars as much as I do? This is amazing, dude(s)! This is the kind of music that made me wanna play guitar. ROCK MUSIC!

Paco Del Stinko
You make the most amazing recordings. Shit! Sounds incredible with amazing playing and singing as always. Tinfoil hat stylee. Your catalogue is insane at this point. Do you make music outside of Songfight too? Great track.

Hot life
I like this quite a lot. This makes me think of one of my life’s biggest regrets. I had this little 1980s Casio synthesizer that made some really smooth, awesome tones, but the jack for the AC cord was kind of on the fritz. I was moving and getting all stressed out about all the hassles of doing the same, and in a harried moment, I decided to toss the synth in the trash. Why the fuck did I do that? I’m noticing a lot of nostalgic feelings as I listen to these songs. There’s magic in this track. Nice work.

Berkeley Social Scene
A group that, like Paco, has created an amazing amount of music. This has balls-out attitude, and sophisticated-sounding vocal harmonies at the same time. Renaissance men! When does Glen’s solo start? Oh, nice bridge. Glen. You’re good at that thing. Dope solo. Bass break. BAM! You guys are killing it. Love the gang vocals. Good job.

That was a ton of fun. It’s such a trip that there are so many people out there making cool music. Science cannot explain it.
TheNewMelvin
A New Player
Submitting as: Melvin

Re: Cutting corners on your mix? (They Know reviews)

Post by TheNewMelvin »

Hey Songfighters, it's Melvin! Long time no see. The gentlemen of The Worldly Self-Assurance were recently chatting and it got me feeling real misty about Songfight! Thought I’d check out the latest crop of tunes. What a delight. After, oh, a few weeks of trying to find my password then create a new profile, I am finally able to post my impressions:

Reve + Ujn
I was hooked right off the bat. The major keyish change at 1:48 and 2:45 was a surprise. A chorus I guess. I like your arrangement and production sensibilities. Vocal melody and pitch would be areas to work on. Or slap autotune on it.

Metroboys
Inventing a new genre for the first 30 seconds or so. I could see you guys playing in a bar that would scare me.

James Owens
Lush. Feels like a big stage musical. You’re singing this on the back of a suspended Pegasus unicorn, flying across Mt Rushmore.

Midnight Yacht Club
This has my heart. Just being totally honest, your name sounded a little too cute and I acted like I wasn’t going to like you, but within moments of pressing play, I was swooning. Keep this spirit going, please.

Pigfarmer Jr
I dug this. I like when you double the vocals. Production-wise, I found the voice and guitar really present, bordering on harsh, and the bass and drums quite buried. I’d probably mess around with that a bit. More importantly, good tune, good performance.

Ujn + Reve
Whoa, now I’m hearing your second track of the fight, and the opening moments feel cinematic. Here come the vocals and they seem so much more… autotuned? OK, I won’t try to guess what’s going on here. I feel like I’m watching a musical for the second time tonight. Dramatic song. I dig the passion.

OG Lawn Darts
Right away, I want to like this based on the artist name. Holy fucking shit it’s Smalltown motherfucking Mike!! Hey bro! What’s up? You going to put my hardcore album out on that badass label of yours or wat?? Just kidding. This is tight. Dig the upbeat thing. You sound great.

Third Cat
This is superduper sweet! Wow, the first minute transported me back to my old basement with my borrowed drum kit and a big dirty moving blanket nailed to the wall to dampen the sound. By which I mean it reminded me of my younger self and the joy and agony of making music at earlier times in my life. Nostalgic ear candy. Awesome! Thank you.

Faster Jackalope
Is this a song I used to love cranking on 102.1 The Edge in my green Volkswagen Golf in 1998, or is this new music by some amazing person or people who love singing self-deprecating lyrics with catchy-as-fuck melodies and harmonies over big crunchy guitars as much as I do? This is amazing, dude(s)! This is the kind of music that made me wanna play guitar. ROCK MUSIC!

Paco Del Stinko
You make the most amazing recordings. Shit! Sounds incredible with amazing playing and singing as always. Tinfoil hat stylee. Your catalogue is insane at this point. Do you make music outside of Songfight too? Great track.

Hot life
I like this quite a lot. This makes me think of one of my life’s biggest regrets. I had this little 1980s Casio synthesizer that made some really smooth, awesome tones, but the jack for the AC cord was kind of on the fritz. I was moving and getting all stressed out about all the hassles of doing the same, and in a harried moment, I decided to toss the synth in the trash. Why the fuck did I do that? I’m noticing a lot of nostalgic feelings as I listen to these songs. There’s magic in this track. Nice work.

Berkeley Social Scene
A group that, like Paco, has created an amazing amount of music. This has balls-out attitude, and sophisticated-sounding vocal harmonies at the same time. Renaissance men! When does Glen’s solo start? Oh, nice bridge. Glen. You’re good at that thing. Dope solo. Bass break. BAM! You guys are killing it. Love the gang vocals. Good job.

That was a ton of fun. It’s such a trip that there are so many people out there making cool music. Science cannot explain it.