The Stars Are Melting! (Liquid Starshine Reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
Æpplês&vØdkã
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Drums, bass, synths, guitar, whatever else is around.
Recording Method: Tascam dp006, Shure SM-58, FL studio
Submitting as: Phlebia

Re: The Stars Are Melting! (Liquid Starshine Reviews)

Post by Æpplês&vØdkã »

Woohoo, go Jerkatorium! Also listening to your podcast sort of makes me want to work my banjo into an entry this week. I didn't actually buy it -- my friend Jim found it on the side of the road years ago and gave it to me. It's kind of a shitty banjo. That's probably why it was on the curb. Oh well, worth a try?
Y'all also make me want to put a lot more effort into my reviews this week!
crumpart
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Fuzz
Submitting as: Hot Pink Halo
Pronouns: She/her

Post by crumpart »

Æpplês&vØdkã wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:37 am
Woohoo, go Jerkatorium! Also listening to your podcast sort of makes me want to work my banjo into an entry this week. I didn't actually buy it -- my friend Jim found it on the side of the road years ago and gave it to me. It's kind of a shitty banjo. That's probably why it was on the curb. Oh well, worth a try?
Y'all also make me want to put a lot more effort into my reviews this week!
We found our banjo under the bed one day. For a long time we had no idea where it came from, but I think @gizo snuck it in there one day. I’m convinced nobody actually buys banjos, but they just randomly appear.

I did put new strings on it a few weeks ago. Now I just need to learn how to play it.

Question in regard to the podcast for @jerkatorium or anyone else who can answer, what a g-on-g(?) G-&-g(?) song? Is it where a second voice comes in on the same note but an octave up or down?
Devil’s got me Lindt! Devil’s got me Lindt!
vowlvom
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar, keys, "other"
Recording Method: PC, reaper, ableton
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, Vom Vorton
Pronouns: he/him

Post by vowlvom »

G&G = guy / girl and guitar

Shorthand for bare bones singer-songwriter stuff which often struggles against the bigger productions.

Congrats to the Jerks and good to see the podcast back! I'm on holiday at the moment so I'll probably save it for the journey home.
furrypedro
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Guitar, programming
Recording Method: Cubase, Reason
Submitting as: Balance Lost

Post by furrypedro »

My uncontrollable rage at losing this fight by a point has been tempered by the Jerks' very entertaining podcast and kind comments for the Tron Air song, although yes, it was a bit of an album track. Ya'll better watch your backs next time I'm in hit single mode!
Congrats also for the win!

Oh yeah, and @jerkatorium, sorry for stealing your disco thunder. Please do a disco song!

I'm pleased to see the song debates are warming up on the boards too.Regarding this one...
jb wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:25 am
...Gender is never stated, so is anyone who listens assuming that the antagonist is female? Does it change how you react if the singer’s crush is male?
Why assume the antagonist (or protagonist for that matter) is gender-binary? Are they even human? Could be trans buffalo. Or better yet, amoebas. Maybe it's about a communal merkin.
Æpplês&vØdkã
Push Comes to Shove

Post by Æpplês&vØdkã »

furrypedro wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:25 am

Why assume the antagonist (or protagonist for that matter) is gender-binary? Are they even human? Could be trans buffalo. Or better yet, amoebas. Maybe it's about a communal merkin.
The fungus Schizophyllum commune has over 10,000 distinct genders, but I don't think they bother with pronouns.
crumpart
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Fuzz
Submitting as: Hot Pink Halo
Pronouns: She/her

Post by crumpart »

vowlvom wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:22 am
G&G = guy / girl and guitar

Shorthand for bare bones singer-songwriter stuff which often struggles against the bigger productions.

Congrats to the Jerks and good to see the podcast back! I'm on holiday at the moment so I'll probably save it for the journey home.
Thank you! That makes much more sense.
Devil’s got me Lindt! Devil’s got me Lindt!
owl
Panama
Instruments: vox keys uke guitar
Recording Method: REAPER
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, miscellaneous owl
Pronouns: she/her

Post by owl »

YAY the Jerks podcast is back! YAY special guest Paco del Stinko! And congrats Jerkatorium! I'm excited to check out all the OPINIONS.

(Also holy hell there are even more songs this fight?! Way to go with the recruitment efforts, @Æpplês&vØdkã!)
Æpplês&vØdkã
Push Comes to Shove

Post by Æpplês&vØdkã »

owl wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:32 am
(Also holy hell there are even more songs this fight?! Way to go with the recruitment efforts, @Æpplês&vØdkã!)
The first fight I ever participated in was the "Switch Hitter/Onomatopoeia/No Relation/Give It To Me/Blank Stare/For The Time Being/It's Just Not Right/Gone Phishing/High Time/Terror In Tiny Town/Exclamation Point" behemoth multifight and dammit, if I'm gonna be a regular again years and years later, I wanna see numbers up! Even though in hindsight 11 simultaneous fights was and still is completely over the top.

Also, at the time you could edit your username and there some folks going over the top with unicode characters in their handle...apparently the ability to get rid of them disappeared at some point. Oh well, I'll stick with a copy-and-paste handle for the time being.
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Basic rock, at a basic level.
Recording Method: Roland 2480
Submitting as: Paco del Stinko

Post by Paco Del Stinko »

There were fights with over 30 (!) entries back then. Writing reviews was very, uh, challenging.

Me and a couple others did all eleven titles in the Switch Hitter et al fight. It was then that I realized that Phil Redmon is a god of rock.

I have been woefully negligent in my reviewing, and feel guilty and embarrassed. But I hope to re-ink my quill and get at it again. Thanks for all those that offer comments, it is appreciated.

The Jerks were very gracious and patient with me during the podcast. The technical difficulties were on my end (can't get drivers to recognize and work with my microphone, which works fine) I had fun, even if they didn't. If they ask you to join, please do! Good times.

Keep at it peoples, SF! is the best.
Bringin' the stink since 2006.
owl
Panama

Post by owl »

Æpplês&vØdkã wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:10 am
owl wrote:
The first fight I ever participated in was the "Switch Hitter/Onomatopoeia/No Relation/Give It To Me/Blank Stare/For The Time Being/It's Just Not Right/Gone Phishing/High Time/Terror In Tiny Town/Exclamation Point" behemoth multifight and dammit, if I'm gonna be a regular again years and years later, I wanna see numbers up! Even though in hindsight 11 simultaneous fights was and still is completely over the top.

Also, at the time you could edit your username and there some folks going over the top with unicode characters in their handle...apparently the ability to get rid of them disappeared at some point. Oh well, I'll stick with a copy-and-paste handle for the time being.
I've never been around for a multifight. How did that work? Did you have to do all of those titles as separate songs?
Æpplês&vØdkã
Push Comes to Shove

Post by Æpplês&vØdkã »

owl wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:49 am
Æpplês&vØdkã wrote:
owl wrote:

I've never been around for a multifight. How did that work? Did you have to do all of those titles as separate songs?
Yes! The only one I entered in that round was "Terror In Tiny Town" as "?". I never really settled on a name and probably used at least 10 in that first year or two. I think Phlebia, Lockheed Symphony, and Queef McBeef were the only names I ever used more than once in my previous life as a songfighter.
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band

Post by jb »

Switch Hitter
Onomatopoeia
No Relation
Give It To Me
Blank Stare
For The Time Being
It's Just Not Right
Gone Phishing
High Time
Terror In Tiny Town
Exclamation Point
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
furrypedro
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Guitar, programming
Recording Method: Cubase, Reason
Submitting as: Balance Lost

Post by furrypedro »

Æpplês&vØdkã wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:14 am
owl wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:49 am
Æpplês&vØdkã wrote:

Yes! The only one I entered in that round was "Terror In Tiny Town" as "?". I never really settled on a name and probably used at least 10 in that first year or two. I think Phlebia, Lockheed Symphony, and Queef McBeef were the only names I ever used more than once in my previous life as a songfighter.
Queef McBeef! :lol: There is a name worth resurrecting.

I think A&V's answer may have been slightly ambiguous. In multi-title fights you may enter only one or all of them, it's your choice, but if you enter multiple fights they must be separate songs. It is possible that a song could qualify as valid for numerous titles if you use both titles in the song for example, but entering it into multiple fights would be frowned upon, and possibly lead to disqualification. JB/Sam would have to clarify that. It's all moot of course since we're only doing single titles these days, but the increasing number of entries could see a resurgence of the multi-title.
mkilly
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar

Post by mkilly »

owl wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:21 pm
Don Mattingly's Mustache: This song is a lot of fun, I really love the melody in the chorus and the kind of playful sloppy energy of it all. Nice whistling! It reminds me of The Magnetic Fields' "The Luckiest Guy on the Lower East Side," but, like, if you gave Stephin Merritt some antidepressants and took him to a jamboree before he wrote it. A few of your phrases sound really awkward, like "you're inviting over Brad" and "cannot SURmise", but since the song is pretty loosey-goosey stylistically I'm not sure that matters. I'm going to second furrypedro's critique/analysis of the content on all counts, I'm kind of put off by the whole "well it's OK to love me but if you love all these other people you're a slut!" kinda thing, unclear why the protagonist feels like he's so special. Also, I'm not really sure why that vaguely bothers me instead of just thinking it's funny, which is clearly the spirit in which it's intended, perhaps it is just me being a HUMORLESS FEMINIST, but I think it's because of the kind of judgey tone of the narrator? Also, not sure what the liquid starshine love has to do with the rest of the subject matter, it sounds good, but seems kind of wedged in there if you start to think about the lyrics too much.
It's OK to be polygamous/polyamorous and it's OK to be monogamous but it's tough to have a successful relationship when one person is poly and one person isn't. I have some friends who have encountered issues like this. I wrote the lyrics ... I don't think there's any part where the other party is impugned or maligned, more that the narrator is frustrated over the situation. I think the reflex is to assume it's judgmental but speaking as the writer, I didn't intend any judgment and I don't think any is present in the lyrics. Just frustration. The girlfriend/antagonist has, for all we know, never set out to be deceitful, but she and the narrator aren't on the same page. The narrator should probably check out and get over it. Thanks for the review.

edit: you mention "why do you got so many guys" sounding judgey, laughing at a cuck, I get that. But jb expressed the same thoughts I had, basically that the narrator is a lovestruck fool. It would suck to be in that situation. Nobody's wrong, but it's not a match.
"It is really true what philosophy tells us, that life must be understood backwards. But with this, one forgets the second proposition, that it must be lived forwards." Søren Kierkegaard
owl
Panama

Post by owl »

mkilly wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:14 pm
It's OK to be polygamous/polyamorous and it's OK to be monogamous but it's tough to have a successful relationship when one person is poly and one person isn't. I have some friends who have encountered issues like this. I wrote the lyrics ... I don't think there's any part where the other party is impugned or maligned, more that the narrator is frustrated over the situation. I think the reflex is to assume it's judgmental but speaking as the writer, I didn't intend any judgment and I don't think any is present in the lyrics. Just frustration. The girlfriend/antagonist has, for all we know, never set out to be deceitful, but she and the narrator aren't on the same page. The narrator should probably check out and get over it. Thanks for the review.

edit: you mention "why do you got so many guys" sounding judgey, laughing at a cuck, I get that. But jb expressed the same thoughts I had, basically that the narrator is a lovestruck fool. It would suck to be in that situation. Nobody's wrong, but it's not a match.
Thanks for clarifying the intent! I totally get it and that makes sense, even though that wasn't what came across to me from listening initially.
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

That was another fun podcast! Thanks Jerks and Paco, I enjoyed listening. Great to hear from Paco. You rock!