I was in the (Right Town, Wrong Address prefight)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
gizo
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: i am mostly playing stringed ones, but I'll have a tilt at most
Recording Method: my method is to throw stuff at the wall and see what sticks. My wall is made of Logic on an old iMac
Submitting as: gizo : rackwagon (with Toshiro) : Late Heavy Bombardment : Stacking Theory
Pronouns: he/him

Re: I was in the (Right Town, Wrong Address prefight)

Post by gizo »

Toshiro wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:22 pm
Enjoy my sub-Archers of Loaf noisefest.
Oh, I will indeed!

I have nothing to submit this week, but if you want I can send photos of my repainted bathroom and freshly mown lawn?
.sig
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

Spent a bit of time tonight and got something together and just hit the send button.
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang
furrypedro
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Guitar, programming
Recording Method: Cubase, Reason
Submitting as: Balance Lost

Post by furrypedro »

gizo wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:38 pm
Toshiro wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:22 pm
Enjoy my sub-Archers of Loaf noisefest.
Oh, I will indeed!

I have nothing to submit this week, but if you want I can send photos of my repainted bathroom and freshly mown lawn?
Ooh DIY, yes please! :P
thirdcatmusic wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:15 pm
I scrapped the thing I was working on because I hate it. Might send in a late entry if it's still up later.
I for one would definitely be interested to hear something of yours that you hate, if only for a how-others-perceive-you-vs-how-you-perceive-yourself type social experiment, but also because it's probably actually quite good.
owl
Panama
Instruments: vox keys uke guitar
Recording Method: REAPER
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, miscellaneous owl
Pronouns: she/her

Post by owl »

I didn't have a lot of time to work on this, so I'd probably change a lot of things about this recording if I had more time, and could play my instruments with actual fingers and picks instead of food, but I managed to write a song last night and record it tonight, and I'm all in on the optional challenge!
  • acoustic guitar and ukulele played with roasted, unsalted whole almonds
  • melodica and keyboard cello played with celery sticks
  • shaker made of dry lentils in a jar
  • percussion made out of me eating celery like my celery hero Paul McCartney (in real time, I didn't sample it)--this was surprisingly difficult bc you run out of chompable real estate really fast and you don't really have time to swallow between bites. I obliterated the celery sticks I was eating and then, after I recorded, had to eat these gross, limp, pre-chewed pieces of celery so it wouldn't go to waste.

It sounds pretty sad and serious for a song involving so much celery!

edited to add that I recorded guitar and vox together as the base track and had a pretty difficult time, between the playing-with-an-almond situation, the loud central heat constantly coming on, and my cat being in a talkative mood tonight, she ruined a lot of takes by wandering around the house and yelling at the top of her lungs. Also I realized I have a habit of putting my pick in my mouth a lot to hold it and nearly accidentally ate it several times.
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

owl wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:06 am
I didn't have a lot of time to work on this, so I'd probably change a lot of things about this recording if I had more time, and could play my instruments with actual fingers and picks instead of food, but I managed to write a song last night and record it tonight, and I'm all in on the optional challenge!
  • percussion made out of me eating celery like my celery hero Paul McCartney (in real time, I didn't sample it)--this was surprisingly difficult bc you run out of chompable real estate really fast and you don't really have time to swallow between bites. I obliterated the celery sticks I was eating and then, after I recorded, had to eat these gross, limp, pre-chewed pieces of celery so it wouldn't go to waste.

edited to add that I recorded guitar and vox together as the base track and had a pretty difficult time, between the playing-with-an-almond situation, the loud central heat constantly coming on, and my cat being in a talkative mood tonight, she ruined a lot of takes by wandering around the house and yelling at the top of her lungs. Also I realized I have a habit of putting my pick in my mouth a lot to hold it and nearly accidentally ate it several times.
I love every word of this. Thank you!!! Now I'm so glad I picked that extremely silly optional challenge. I'll try not to take it as encouragement to pick similarly silly challenges all the time.
crumpart
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Fuzz
Submitting as: Hot Pink Halo
Pronouns: She/her

Post by crumpart »

owl wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:06 am

This is just the best and you’re already the winner. Everything of mine was played with fingers or computers except the melodica.
Devil’s got me Lindt! Devil’s got me Lindt!
owl
Panama

Post by owl »

crumpart wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:20 am
This is just the best and you’re already the winner. Everything of mine was played with fingers or computers except the melodica.
omg your banana melodica video was HIGHLY influential!!! I loved it!

I recorded some videos of some of the instruments too, I might post the playing-guitar-with-almonds video, but as it turns out, playing melodica with celery sticks and recording it using the front-facing camera is possibly the least flattering possible musical activity on earth (maybe there are some other wind instruments that are worse I guess? but also they often are big enough to hide your face?), the action + angle simultaneously multiplied my chins and jowls and made me drool, and I'm too vain to put that one up in public.
owl
Panama

Post by owl »

Lunkhead wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:19 am
I love every word of this. Thank you!!! Now I'm so glad I picked that extremely silly optional challenge. I'll try not to take it as encouragement to pick similarly silly challenges all the time.
what?! I encourage you to pick silly challenges all the time! I probably wouldn't have bothered finishing that song/recording it if it weren't for the challenge :)
(The last one was good inspiration too, even if it wasn't silly!)
owl
Panama

Post by owl »

IMG_6819.JPG
IMG_6819.JPG (1.33 MiB) Viewed 1073 times
here is my disgusting ABC celery, for evidence, before I ate it to put it out of its misery
Bonus melodica in the background
owl
Panama

Post by owl »

thirdcatmusic
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Submitting as: Third Cat
Pronouns: they/them

Post by thirdcatmusic »

Sending in a late one, wrote and recorded this after the deadline after scrapping my first thing. (balance lost - I'd upload it but there's nothing really to upload since I didn't finish it - one of those things where I was hating the lyrics/melody so much I didn't bother recording the vocal)

Also I'm a bum and didn't use any food in my track.
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

owl wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:21 pm
Here is my video evidence
Haven't had a chance to watch it yet, but, if it's you chewing celery have you also made an ASMR video too by accident?! :lol: :lol:
owl
Panama

Post by owl »

Lunkhead wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:22 pm
owl wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:21 pm
Here is my video evidence
Haven't had a chance to watch it yet, but, if it's you chewing celery have you also made an ASMR video too by accident?! :lol: :lol:
Now there's an optional challenge if you want to drive more traffic to the site!

(it's just me playing the guitar with an almond, as one does. And my cat yelling for food and/or cuddles in the last 10 seconds of the song. No celery)